Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day  (Read 171964 times)

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
Re: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day
« Reply #1035 on: April 13, 2018, 04:45:35 PM »
"D" may sound like English "j" in many Brazilian Portuguese dialects including that of Rio, although only in some contexts not including this one. Adding "h" is presumably a low-literate invention to attempt conveining that sound outside normal contexts.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2018, 04:54:41 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #1036 on: April 13, 2018, 04:52:57 PM »
"D" may sound like English "j" in many Brazilian Portuguese dialects including that of Rio, although only in some contexts not including this one. Adding "h" is presumably a low-literate invention to attempt conveining it have that sound outside the normal contexts.

Ah.
It's the double-edged sword of being lazy and being bored.- Reliant K

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Nicholas_83

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #1037 on: April 17, 2018, 10:27:04 PM »
Languages of Oriental Orthodox in document from Scetis

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1038 on: April 17, 2018, 11:05:20 PM »
Amazing! True display of catholicity. What is it all about? The Arabic title may say "ya Allah" ("oh, God") and the Coptic ends in "Theo", which could be a Greek loan for "God" (although Coptic uses "Noute"), so I'm guessing this might be a prayer?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2018, 11:07:49 PM by RaphaCam »
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Anyhow when God was asked he said Eastern Orthodox is true Church and not Catholic Church. So come home and enjoy.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1039 on: April 18, 2018, 12:26:48 AM »
Amazing! True display of catholicity. What is it all about? The Arabic title may say "ya Allah" ("oh, God") and the Coptic ends in "Theo", which could be a Greek loan for "God" (although Coptic uses "Noute"), so I'm guessing this might be a prayer?
The first word in Arabic is anything but "ya", my mistake. BTW, I was PM'd that it's Psalm 1.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #1040 on: April 18, 2018, 06:26:53 AM »
The first word in Arabic is anything but "ya", my mistake. BTW, I was PM'd that it's Psalm 1.

Yeah, as it begins with "tuba ar-ragul" that's "blessed is the man". And the title says "bi-sm Allah", that's in the name of God"

Edit: indeed, it's a great example of catholicity.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 06:28:46 AM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
« Reply #1041 on: April 18, 2018, 12:58:33 PM »
Yup, it's the first Psalm...what year was this?  And what's the last language on the right?  A different form of Aramaic?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 12:58:54 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #1042 on: April 18, 2018, 01:50:08 PM »
Amazing! True display of catholicity.

Looks more like Black Nationalist Rasta Phyletism to me!
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline Nicholas_83

« Reply #1043 on: April 18, 2018, 07:05:53 PM »
Oops. I had responded Armenian. Then looked closer and saw what you're looking at. Figured out how to modify but not delete this posting. Sorry about wasted post.
Yup, it's the first Psalm...what year was this?  And what's the last language on the right?  A different form of Aramaic?
« Last Edit: April 18, 2018, 07:09:05 PM by Nicholas_83 »

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1044 on: April 18, 2018, 10:13:17 PM »
lol...no worries  :)

I will say that it is missing Malayalam  ;)
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1045 on: April 18, 2018, 11:14:28 PM »
Nicholas83, where did you get it? I'd like to know if it could be open source to be uploaded to Wikimedia. It would make an amazing head illustration for general articles on Oriental Orthodoxy.

My thought. Give Fr. Peter some time and it will be missing English. :P

Offline Nicholas_83

« Reply #1046 on: April 19, 2018, 12:49:23 PM »
Someone posted in the Facebook group; Oriental Orthodoxy made simple
Nicholas83, where did you get it? I'd like to know if it could be open source to be uploaded to Wikimedia. It would make an amazing head illustration for general articles on Oriental Orthodoxy.

My thought. Give Fr. Peter some time and it will be missing English. :P

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #1047 on: April 30, 2018, 05:35:10 PM »
Not a picture, but a video. A new Coptic Church is being constructed not far from where I live. It looks beautiful so far.

https://youtu.be/TTaGmojMDrE
My only weakness is, well, never mind

And you'll sleep, but they'll find you

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms

London is drowning, and I live by the river

https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1048 on: May 12, 2018, 02:51:43 PM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1049 on: May 12, 2018, 03:03:24 PM »
Two scholars of Origen:

https://www.instagram.com/p/BipbMBvg_vZ/
Fr. Tadros! I wish more of his works were translated to English.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1050 on: May 12, 2018, 03:33:28 PM »
It's interesting that there's such a surge of interest in him lately. Or maybe I'm just myopic.

The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1051 on: May 12, 2018, 05:29:32 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about Fr. John Behr.  I would guess the interest revolves around his newly published translation of one of Origen's most important theological works.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1052 on: May 12, 2018, 05:55:33 PM »
I love Fr. John too, that one book Mor gave me, The Way to Nicaea is fantastic, so sweet of his. I love how he describes Church history at the same time in an Orthodox and scientific way. Looking forward to read the following one of the series.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 05:56:47 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #1053 on: May 12, 2018, 06:13:14 PM »
I'm assuming you're talking about Fr. John Behr.  I would guess the interest revolves around his newly published translation of one of Origen's most important theological works.

I guess I was just thinking about some general interest in Origin that I seem to see around here. I didn't know about the translation, though. Thanks for letting me know.
« Last Edit: May 12, 2018, 06:14:18 PM by Volnutt »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1054 on: May 17, 2018, 03:51:12 PM »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #1055 on: May 19, 2018, 08:00:32 PM »
This has certainly been the pic of the day for Coptic twitter:

« Last Edit: May 19, 2018, 08:00:51 PM by minasoliman »

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #1056 on: June 04, 2018, 08:30:29 AM »
"D" may sound like English "j" in many Brazilian Portuguese dialects including that of Rio, although only in some contexts not including this one. Adding "h" is presumably a low-literate invention to attempt conveining that sound outside normal contexts.

I pronounce D as D and T as T, no palatization.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1057 on: June 05, 2018, 04:32:45 AM »

You're from São Paulo's countryside, right?

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #1058 on: June 05, 2018, 08:23:29 AM »

You're from São Paulo's countryside, right?

Yes.

Offline RaphaCam

• Taxiarches
« Reply #1059 on: June 05, 2018, 03:15:35 PM »
So it makes sense, you guys don't palatalise anything.

Offline juliogb

• High Elder
« Reply #1060 on: June 06, 2018, 01:56:10 PM »
So it makes sense, you guys don't palatalise anything.

Depends wich area of the state, the closer you get to the Paraná border, more similar sounds to deep Paraná countryside accent.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #1061 on: Yesterday at 02:13:27 PM »
I don't know, if this version of the Coptic Martyrs of Libia has been already posted there:

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: Yekmalian Monoculture
« Reply #1062 on: Yesterday at 02:34:29 PM »
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

thank you so much Mor ephrem you are a hero!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #1063 on: Yesterday at 02:52:39 PM »
The cutest deacons.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Online Orthodox_Slav

• A sinful servant of God
  • Господи Иисусе Христе, Сыне Божий, помилуй мя
  • Jurisdiction: Moscow Patriarchate
« Reply #1064 on: Yesterday at 03:04:48 PM »
i own all three icons

coptic icon of christ

ethopian icon of the theotokos

syrian icon of christ
not every quiet man is humble but every humble man is quiet         st Isaac the Syrian