Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day  (Read 127920 times)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
Re: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day
« Reply #855 on: April 25, 2017, 01:22:25 PM »
Memory eternal!

May their prayers be with us!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #856 on: April 25, 2017, 03:00:41 PM »
May the Memory of the victims be Eternal.

It is now.  May we have their intercession and blessing. 
How this relates to the coming Antichrist? I don't know...

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #857 on: April 25, 2017, 03:25:30 PM »
May the Memory of the victims be Eternal.

It is now.  May we have their intercession and blessing.

Amen.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #858 on: April 25, 2017, 04:00:38 PM »
Modern Charismatic Movement Similar to Charismaticism in the Early Church?
https://blogs.ancientfaith.com/orthodoxbridge/4711-2/

I would be interested in your ideas on it as well as how Fr. Trader's book addresses the topics in it.

Peace.

I clicked on the link and then...

About the author.  Hal Smith converted to Orthodoxy at age 17.  He works as a Russian-English translator and attends an OCA parish in Eastern Pennsylvania.  He administers Rakovskii – a website about Old Testament prophecies.

I'm curious as to the author's qualifications.  Is he a historian?  An anthropologist?  A theologian?  Just a hobbyist?  What qualifies him to publish an article on this subject?

I can understand the similarities between the phenomena.
Maybe it is a more fundamental or broader psychological issue: Maybe the Hellenistic pagans and their oracles sometimes were doing similar things (eg. "tongues). The Methodists' 19th c. "Great Awakening" looks very similar to me in major respects, even though Methodists nowadays are about as mellow as the Presbyterians and UCC.

One time during the Great Awakening, IIRC, a young man entered a dance hall and a girl invited him to dance, but instead of dancing, he started preaching Low Church Protestantism, and suddenly the bodies hit the floor, "thud" "thud", the young man recalled. It was a kind of 19th century "slain in the spirit" effect like a stage hypnotist putting a crowd to sleep.

I believe it's partly as you describe here and partly demonic possession.

There is a thread discussing Fr. Trader's book here:
In Peace Let Us Pray to the Lord!
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?topic=16897.0

It sounds from the thread that he and Fr. Romanides claim that the Biblical gift of tongues was an inaudible (except for the Pentecost event) "prayer of the heart", which doesn't sound correct to me. In any case, I know that it would be better to consult his book directly, and there are several aspects to Pentecostals, not just Tongues.

Read the book and judge for yourself.  I don't agree with the guesswork made in the thread you link to, most especially LBK's notion that the tongues in Corinth were something akin to what occurs among modern Pentecostals and Charismatics.  Just about the only thing I would co-sign in the thread would be this:

I haven't read this book, but I have met Fr. Alexis.

In so far as Fr. Alexis is a canonically ordained Orthodox Christian priest, an Athonite monk of many years experience, a graduate of an Orthodox theological seminary and a former lecturer in Patristics, I would be far more inclined to take his word over that of an online pundit on Amazon.com, whose identity, legitimacy and, most importantly, connection to the Orthodox Church is completely unknown.

Just a thought.

Or as one of the reviewers on the amazon page says:

Father Trader makes the point not that tongues is silent, but rather that it does not consist of inane babbling.

https://www.amazon.com/Peace-Let-Pray-Lord-Interpretation/dp/1928653065/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216476433&sr=1-1
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #859 on: April 25, 2017, 04:21:33 PM »

Father Trader makes the point not that tongues is silent, but rather that it does not consist of inane babbling.

https://www.amazon.com/Peace-Let-Pray-Lord-Interpretation/dp/1928653065/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1216476433&sr=1-1
That makes sense.

I would like to talk about the charismatic issue with you on another thread.
I won't be argumentative. Would you be OK with that?
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

• Taxiarches
« Reply #860 on: April 26, 2017, 08:37:22 AM »

That makes sense.

I would like to talk about the charismatic issue with you on another thread.
I won't be argumentative. Would you be OK with that?

Once upon a time, we were already discussing the issue here, but then the discussion petered out when you declined to answer my direct questions to you in this post:

RE: discussing the essay and reading it.
This is not to be hurried. It is a serious, but very sensitive discussion, critically analysing Christianity, the early Church, Charismaticism, etc. and considering the Orthodox view.

May I ask why this subject is of interest to you?  Do you have loved ones in the Charismatic Movement?  Have you spent time up close and personal with its adherents?  Is this merely an academic issue for you?  Are you interested in developing a comprehensive polemic against Charismatism yourself?  Or an apologia for certain aspects of it?

It's no requirement. I only want a patient talk, not the kind of thing we had on the

Kind of trailed off there, but you may fix that in editing.  I'm guessing your referring to our interaction in the thread about the Ethiopian Church and marijuana?  If that's the case, you needn't worry about our having a similar interaction here, unless you're going to contend that the Oriental Orthodox Church already accepts some form of Charismatism and that is as it should be.  I don't think that will be the case though.  :)

I am happy to resume the discussion there with you answering that question.  In that thread, you also linked to an essay you authored here.  So this is your essay then?  You managed to get it published to AFR?  If that's the case, I would also appreciate answers to my questions above:

I'm curious as to the author's qualifications.  Is he a historian?  An anthropologist?  A theologian?  Just a hobbyist?  What qualifies him to publish an article on this subject?

So again, if you want to answer all of those questions above, I am happy to resume our dialogue here and not in a new thread.  Let me know.  :)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
« Reply #861 on: April 26, 2017, 01:15:00 PM »
Hey, Antonious, why did you block me?  :'(
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #862 on: April 26, 2017, 01:50:46 PM »
Wait, his name really is Hal?
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #863 on: April 26, 2017, 01:57:53 PM »
So again, if you want to answer all of those questions above, I am happy to resume our dialogue here and not in a new thread. 
OK.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

• Taxiarches
« Reply #864 on: April 26, 2017, 04:54:03 PM »
Wait, his name really is Hal?

Apparently so!  Hence, my stunned koala meme.  It was all just too much.  ;)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #865 on: April 26, 2017, 04:54:48 PM »
So again, if you want to answer all of those questions above, I am happy to resume our dialogue here and not in a new thread. 
OK.

Great!  See you there.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #866 on: May 23, 2017, 10:12:09 PM »

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #867 on: May 24, 2017, 06:04:41 AM »
That's fantastic.
Don John pounding from the slaughter-painted poop
- GK Chesteron, "Lepanto"

• Taxiarches
« Reply #868 on: May 24, 2017, 09:22:18 AM »

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #869 on: May 24, 2017, 11:02:39 AM »

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #870 on: May 24, 2017, 02:56:48 PM »

This is awesome  :laugh:  who's the bishop?
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #871 on: May 24, 2017, 04:39:25 PM »
Brilliant. Needs a real spear, tho -- or AK-47 to continue the reading woman's modern theme.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #872 on: May 24, 2017, 04:44:17 PM »
This is awesome  :laugh:  who's the bishop?

HG Bishop David of New York and New England, Coptic Orthodox Church.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #873 on: May 28, 2017, 01:36:55 PM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/apostolikidiakonia/sets/72157682364891620/with/34881150166/

Armenian Archbishop of Greece venerates relics of St Helena. 
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 01:37:12 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #874 on: May 28, 2017, 06:09:28 PM »
Meeting of patriarch Cyrill, patriarch Tawadros and Mr Putin

It's a Russian fail, since the interpretator is speaking fusha (standard Arabic), not Egyptian dialect (that is the most known of the Arabic dialects, and the most written one - the rest of dialects are rather not used in writing), even without Egyptian pronunciation :laugh:
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline coptic orthodox boy

• High Elder
« Reply #875 on: May 28, 2017, 07:18:51 PM »

It's a Russian fail, since the interpretator is speaking fusha (standard Arabic), not Egyptian dialect (that is the most known of the Arabic dialects, and the most written one - the rest of dialects are rather not used in writing), even without Egyptian pronunciation :laugh:

Are Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) and the Egyptian dialect mutually intelligible?  When I was at DLIFLC I was told by students taking MSA that the majority of the MSA teachers were Copts so I am assuming yes (when I was in Monterey there was a Coptic parish right outside the base with the parish priest being a monk-priest). 
Could someone give a rough translation of what is being said?  Appreciated.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #876 on: May 28, 2017, 07:22:24 PM »

Are Modern Standard Arabic (MSA) and the Egyptian dialect mutually intelligible?  When I was at DLIFLC I was told by students taking MSA that the majority of the MSA teachers were Copts so I am assuming yes (when I was in Monterey there was a Coptic parish right outside the base with the parish priest being a monk-priest). 
Could someone give a rough translation of what is being said?  Appreciated.

Our previous Pope, Pope Shenouda, was considered a master of MSA better than the Islamic school professors of Arabic, since he was a man of literature and poetry.  So Copts definitely do have a good working knowledge of MSA that could rival the Arab world.

I would also say that Syrian Christians tend to also be really good at MSA as well.

To answer your question:

http://en.kremlin.ru/events/president/news/54563
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:23:34 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

• High Elder
« Reply #877 on: May 28, 2017, 07:48:49 PM »
 8)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #878 on: May 28, 2017, 07:51:22 PM »
I don't think MSA and the colloquial Egyptian dialects would be mutually intelligible though, there's probably a lot of language interaction, but if we could pick an Egyptian from an isolate village with no exposition to MSA and make him watch the news in al-Jazeera, I don't think he'd grasp it. Dominika may correct me if I'm wrong.
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:51:54 PM by RaphaCam »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #879 on: May 28, 2017, 07:53:00 PM »
I don't think MSA and the colloquial Egyptian dialects would be mutually intelligible though, there's probably a lot of language interaction, but if we could pick an Egyptian from an isolate village with no exposition to MSA and make him watch the news in al-Jazeera, I don't think he'd grasp it. Dominika may correct me if I'm wrong.

I can tell you clearly from my experience, yes.  I can only understand colloquial Egyptian Arabic.  MSA is very difficult for me.  But that's also because I'm born and raised American.  An educated Copt would know MSA (usually a good high school graduate).
« Last Edit: May 28, 2017, 07:54:04 PM by minasoliman »

• High Elder
« Reply #880 on: May 28, 2017, 09:12:50 PM »

I can tell you clearly from my experience, yes.  I can only understand colloquial Egyptian Arabic.  MSA is very difficult for me.  But that's also because I'm born and raised American.  An educated Copt would know MSA (usually a good high school graduate).

Thanks Mina and RaphaCam
Arabic, like Chinese, has a number of dialects.  Chinese dialects, generally speaking, aren't mutually intelligible (and thus the creation of Mandarin based off the dialects of Northern China) and thus my interest in the topic of Arabic dialects. 8)

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #881 on: May 28, 2017, 09:36:08 PM »
I always wonder how it would be if the West never abandoned Latin. We'd probably use a simpler form of Ecclesiastical Latin, full of loans and modern words, and while places like England or Germany would have very clear boundaries between formal and colloquial language, we might still find code-switching on formal occasions, and Romance-speaking countries would have many levels, from completely vulgar to merely accented Latin, with a wide spectrum inbetween.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #882 on: May 28, 2017, 10:40:18 PM »
I always wonder how it would be if the West never abandoned Latin. We'd probably use a simpler form of Ecclesiastical Latin, full of loans and modern words, and while places like England or Germany would have very clear boundaries between formal and colloquial language, we might still find code-switching on formal occasions, and Romance-speaking countries would have many levels, from completely vulgar to merely accented Latin, with a wide spectrum inbetween.

You're speaking as tho Latin was a natural part of European life. It was nothing of the sort. The liturgy and the scriptures were official, and did not change until they were officially changed. The Latin of lawyers and scholars was a species of Esperanto, on the useful side, and one tool in an arsenal of intimidation and control, on the vicious side.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #883 on: May 28, 2017, 10:49:12 PM »

You're speaking as tho Latin was a natural part of European life. It was nothing of the sort. The liturgy and the scriptures were official, and did not change until they were officially changed. The Latin of lawyers and scholars was a species of Esperanto, on the useful side, and one tool in an arsenal of intimidation and control, on the vicious side.
I know, but Latin could have filled the gaps that standardisations of national languages did until the last purist natural scientists and theologians gave up. It would eventually be adapted to our communicational needs, just like MSA and Katharevousa.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #884 on: May 28, 2017, 10:52:34 PM »

I know, but Latin could have filled the gaps that standardisations of national languages did until the last purist natural scientists and theologians gave up. It would eventually be adapted to our communicational needs, just like MSA and Katharevousa.

You're losing me here. Katharevousa was imposed (basically by the British; but I won't get into that now) upon a population that already spoke Greek. What significant natural population of the early modern era (1500 ff.) spoke Latin? Maybe the Romanians?

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #885 on: May 28, 2017, 11:17:54 PM »
I see it, I just imagine if persistent usage of refreshed forms of Latin had endured. Also, Romanian or Italian are surely different enough from Latin, but so are modern Arabic varieties from Quranic, I think.

Online Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #886 on: June 01, 2017, 04:41:03 PM »
Video: Concelebration in France (French language)

Offline Alkis

• All things therefore whatsoever ye would that men should do unto you, even so do ye also unto them: for this is the law and the prophets. (Matthew 7:12)
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Constantinople
« Reply #887 on: June 01, 2017, 04:56:11 PM »
https://www.flickr.com/photos/apostolikidiakonia/sets/72157682364891620/with/34881150166/

Armenian Archbishop of Greece venerates relics of St Helena.

What a great honor to have for some days in our country the relics of saint Helena. I am so sad that I could't go to Athens.
For You keep my lamp burning; Lord my God You illumine my darkness. (Psalm 17:29)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #888 on: June 01, 2017, 06:29:55 PM »
Video: Concelebration in France (French language)

Awesome.  I love Oriental Orthodox unity.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #889 on: June 19, 2017, 04:03:15 AM »

Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #890 on: June 23, 2017, 06:11:02 AM »
Bishop Mark of Shoubra El-Khaima in a children hospital

• Taxiarches
« Reply #891 on: June 23, 2017, 10:35:50 AM »
Lord, have mercy.  :'(

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #892 on: June 23, 2017, 10:40:23 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #893 on: June 23, 2017, 10:41:51 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #894 on: June 23, 2017, 10:42:19 AM »

Precious children.

Amen.  This sort of thing always breaks my heart.  I never become immune to it.  There's never a time it doesn't hit me like a ton of bricks.  God have mercy on them and save them.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #895 on: June 23, 2017, 10:44:25 AM »

Precious children.

Amen.  This sort of thing always breaks my heart.  I never become immune to it.  There's never a time it doesn't hit me like a ton of bricks.  God have mercy on them and save them.

I worked security in a hospital and would have to stand by when children were declared dead/picked up by morticians.  The saddest part of that job.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #896 on: June 23, 2017, 10:50:36 AM »

Precious children.

I worked security in a hospital and would have to stand by when children were declared dead/picked up by morticians.  The saddest part of that job.

You must've prayed a lot for strength and comfort for the families and for yourself.  Lord, have mercy.

Offline Alpha60

• Pray without ceasing!
  • OC.net guru
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #897 on: June 24, 2017, 11:00:38 AM »
I was once in the ER after a relative had a minor fall, and saw a boy of about 11 on a ventillator.  The room he was in was on the corner, and the curtain was open; I don't look into hospital rooms, but when we were exiting after my relative was treated, we basically walked in front of it on our way out.  I could see the boy's father holding his hand.  Worst thing I've seen; I don't know if the boy recovered or not.  I can only imagine they were waiting for a room in the ICU to open up, or for an ambulance or helicopter transfer to a children's hospital with a pediatric ICU (probably the latter).
"It is logical that the actions of the human race over time will lead to its destruction.  I, Alpha 60, am merely the agent of this destruction."

- The computer Alpha 60, from Alphaville (1964) by Jean Luc Godard, the obvious inspiration for HAL-9000 from 2001: A Space Odyssey. 

This signature is not intended to offend any user, nor the relatives of Discovery 1 deputy commander Dr. Frank Poole,  and crew members Dr. Victor Kaminsky, Dr. Jack Kimball, and Dr. Charles Hunter.

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #898 on: July 02, 2017, 04:04:33 AM »

Offline hecma925

• Toumarches
« Reply #899 on: July 02, 2017, 04:06:41 AM »

Precious children.

You must've prayed a lot for strength and comfort for the families and for yourself.  Lord, have mercy.

I can't say that I did.  I just asked God, "Why?" and then became jaded.