Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day  (Read 122317 times)

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
Re: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day
« Reply #540 on: December 08, 2015, 12:44:51 AM »
A couple of weeks too late, but this one was circulating around Thanksgiving:

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #541 on: December 08, 2015, 12:46:15 AM »

It's too early for Christmas; Was this for the feast of St. Nicholas?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #542 on: December 09, 2015, 12:23:43 PM »
Yes, it was.
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #543 on: December 10, 2015, 01:16:05 AM »
I have never seen this done in the Syriac tradition in India.... This is a prayer for the Syriac refugees who reached Arolsen, Germany. During the prayer, the priest's robe covers the people as a blessing and protection.

NULL

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #544 on: December 10, 2015, 10:43:53 AM »
^^ There is a thread about such custom among various Orthodox traditions, and Mor Ephrem has posted similar picture from the Syriac tradition :)
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #545 on: December 10, 2015, 11:44:20 AM »
The Standing Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches (SCOOCH) met on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 – to discuss a number of important issues facing the Oriental Orthodox Communion, including
- international dialogue with the Roman Catholic Church,
- the present genocide being carried out against the Christians of the Middle East,
- the persecution of the Orthodox Church of Eritrea and its lawful Patriarch H.H. Abune Antonious I by that nation’s government,
- the Standing Conference’s ongoing ministry to the Orthodox youth of America through its campus ministry (OCCM) and its youth ministry (SCOOYA).

The Standing Conference also welcome  Very Reverend Dr. Nathanael Symeonides of the Assembly of Canonical Bishops  to discuss, renewing the dialogue between the representatives of the Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox Churches in North America.

Source: http://www.scooch.org/2015/12/syriac-orthodox-church-hosts-winter-2015-scooch-meeting-at-newly-christened-archdiocesan-center/
« Last Edit: December 10, 2015, 11:47:42 AM by dhinuus »
NULL

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #546 on: December 10, 2015, 01:18:35 PM »

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #547 on: December 10, 2015, 09:00:30 PM »
The Standing Conference of Oriental Orthodox Churches (SCOOCH) met on Tuesday, December 08, 2015 – to discuss a number of important issues facing the Oriental Orthodox Communion, including
- international dialogue with the Roman Catholic Church,
- the present genocide being carried out against the Christians of the Middle East,
- the persecution of the Orthodox Church of Eritrea and its lawful Patriarch H.H. Abune Antonious I by that nation’s government,
- the Standing Conference’s ongoing ministry to the Orthodox youth of America through its campus ministry (OCCM) and its youth ministry (SCOOYA).

The Standing Conference also welcome  Very Reverend Dr. Nathanael Symeonides of the Assembly of Canonical Bishops  to discuss, renewing the dialogue between the representatives of the Oriental Orthodox and Eastern Orthodox Churches in North America.

Source: http://www.scooch.org/2015/12/syriac-orthodox-church-hosts-winter-2015-scooch-meeting-at-newly-christened-archdiocesan-center/

That's great news!
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline They

• Say...
« Reply #548 on: December 14, 2015, 02:36:34 AM »
Awesome!
"Ain't the devil happy" - Jeru tha Damaja

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #549 on: December 15, 2015, 10:45:19 PM »
After being bombed and destroyed by Islamic insurgents in 2004, Mar Behnam and Mar Matti Church Syriac Orthodox Church in the Baghdad suburb of Dora was reopened and consecrated by Mor Severius Hawa, Archbishop of Baghdad and Basra
NULL

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #550 on: December 15, 2015, 10:59:27 PM »
That's wonderful.   :)

Are there other pictures of the church?  I bet it's beautiful.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #551 on: December 16, 2015, 03:44:29 AM »
Thanks be to God.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #552 on: December 16, 2015, 01:09:58 PM »
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #553 on: December 16, 2015, 02:05:01 PM »
^^ Great one  :D Ideal for a caption contest
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #554 on: December 16, 2015, 02:05:43 PM »
^^ Great one  :D Ideal for a caption contest

When I got that it was titled "Dalajlama is asking Santa for a present".
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #555 on: December 16, 2015, 08:17:41 PM »
I wish we had more photos of the Dalai Lama tugging on the beards of Orthodox clerics.  I should like to see him do Metropolitan Kallistos Ware and my own Patriarch Ignatius Aphrem II Karim next.  :P
« Last Edit: December 16, 2015, 08:18:05 PM by wgw »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #556 on: December 17, 2015, 08:45:09 PM »

On 12 December 2015, Bishop John of Naro-Fominsk, administrator of the Patriarchal parishes in the USA, met with Bishop David of New York and New England, the Coptic Church.

During the meeting, which took place at the Representation of the Moscow Patriarchate in New York, Bishop David expressed condolences on behalf of the Coptic Christians to the near and dear of the victims of terrorist attack aboard Russian A321plane blown up over Sinai. The situation of Christians in the Middle East was discussed, and Bishop John told Bishop David about endeavors undertaken by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia for the settlement of the situation in the region.

The guests from Egypt visited the St. Nicholas Patriarchal cathedral; Bishop John told them about its history and life at present. The hierarch expressed interest in the extension of bilateral relations.

https://mospat.ru/en/2015/12/15/news126089/
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #557 on: December 18, 2015, 09:45:53 AM »
I wish we had more photos of the Dalai Lama tugging on the beards of Orthodox clerics.  I should like to see him do Metropolitan Kallistos Ware and my own Patriarch Ignatius Aphrem II Karim next.  :P

Creepy...

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #558 on: December 18, 2015, 11:15:44 AM »

As if the OCNET doesn't have enough beard - pulling to meet your needs...   :o
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #559 on: December 18, 2015, 12:19:35 PM »

On 12 December 2015, Bishop John of Naro-Fominsk, administrator of the Patriarchal parishes in the USA, met with Bishop David of New York and New England, the Coptic Church.

During the meeting, which took place at the Representation of the Moscow Patriarchate in New York, Bishop David expressed condolences on behalf of the Coptic Christians to the near and dear of the victims of terrorist attack aboard Russian A321plane blown up over Sinai. The situation of Christians in the Middle East was discussed, and Bishop John told Bishop David about endeavors undertaken by His Holiness Patriarch Kirill of Moscow and All Russia for the settlement of the situation in the region.

The guests from Egypt visited the St. Nicholas Patriarchal cathedral; Bishop John told them about its history and life at present. The hierarch expressed interest in the extension of bilateral relations.

You know His Grace has recently been added to St. Vladimir's Board of Trustees.  I just found out about this a couple of days ago.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2015, 12:19:55 PM by minasoliman »
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #560 on: December 18, 2015, 12:21:06 PM »
Many years to His Grace!  :)
God bless!

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #561 on: December 18, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »

You know His Grace has recently been added to St. Vladimir's Board of Trustees.  I just found out about this a couple of days ago.

Do you have a mailing address for him so I can send him a broom and dustpan, in the hopes that he can clean the place up (metaphorically speaking, of course)?   :D

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #562 on: December 18, 2015, 01:26:15 PM »
Well, even if he got a vacuum cleaner, I am sure there is still plenty of things for him to clean up that is keeping him way too busy.  :P
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #563 on: December 29, 2015, 09:25:00 PM »
I saw this picture of St. Nicholas Day celebration at St Gregorios Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church - Spokane, WA.  What is unusual is that in this picture the priest is wearing the Masnaptho on his head like a Bishop would. I know priests elevated as Cor Episcopas are allowed to wear the Masnaptho on their shoulders; but not on their heads like Episcopas.  I was wondering if this is someone stretching the vestment traditions on the feast of St. Nicholas or is there such a tradition ?

NULL

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #564 on: December 29, 2015, 10:41:46 PM »
My guess is that is not a priest at all, just someone wearing unconsecrated vestments to look like St Nicholas rather than a Santa Claus costume.

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #565 on: December 29, 2015, 11:12:04 PM »
My guess is that is not a priest at all, just someone wearing unconsecrated vestments to look like St Nicholas rather than a Santa Claus costume.

My parish priest once had a layman also dress up as a bishop with a beard and covering most of his face and head with a scarf to demonstrate to the children that this is the real St. Nicholas, who was a bishop.

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #566 on: December 31, 2015, 11:45:16 PM »
Makes perfect sense. Do you know how the modern Santa Claus costume came into being?
NULL

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #567 on: January 01, 2016, 12:44:19 AM »
I think it was a German influence.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #568 on: January 01, 2016, 01:05:47 AM »
Makes perfect sense. Do you know how the modern Santa Claus costume came into being?

You can see a gradual secularization and "winterization" of the episcopal robes (the adding of fur trim, for example) in a lot of European and American lineages through mixing with generic pagan-ish party imagery (the Ghost of Christmas Present is an example of the mixing of the strains). American cartoonist Thomas Nast in the mid-19th Century seems to have been the first to draw him in red, before that he was always in green, though I don't know why Nast did so. Then in the 1930s, illustrator Haddon Sundblom combined Nast's imagery with the Night Before Christmas when he created the adds for Coca-Cola.
The breath of Thine Holy Spirit inspires artists, poets and scientists. The power of Thy supreme knowledge makes them prophets and interpreters of Thy laws, who reveal the depths of Thy creative wisdom. Their works speak unwittingly of Thee. How great art Thou in Thy creation! How great art Thou in man!
Akathist Hymn- Glory to God for All Things

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:27:42 AM by Salpy »

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #570 on: January 09, 2016, 02:25:30 AM »
« Last Edit: January 09, 2016, 02:26:15 AM by Salpy »

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #571 on: January 14, 2016, 10:40:15 PM »
Mor Athansios Afrem, former Archbishop of Beirut, fell asleep today into the Lord in the USA. His grace was 83 years old. The Funeral Service will be held at Mor Aphrem Church in Central Falls, Rhode Island, on Tuesday January 19, 2016.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2016, 10:40:36 PM by dhinuus »
NULL

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
« Reply #572 on: January 18, 2016, 05:52:20 PM »
St. Stephen's feast day in the Armenian Patriarchate of Jerusalem:

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #573 on: January 20, 2016, 02:22:59 AM »
Is it a common thing for Armenian deacons wear mitres?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Aram

• High Elder
  • Faith: Armenian Orthodox
« Reply #574 on: January 20, 2016, 02:27:06 AM »
By tradition, Armenian deacons wear crowns on the feast of St. Stephen. In Jerusalem and Istanbul, deacons often wear crowns on other occasions, too. That's pretty much the extent of it.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #575 on: January 20, 2016, 02:41:56 AM »
By tradition, Armenian deacons wear crowns on the feast of St. Stephen. In Jerusalem and Istanbul, deacons often wear crowns on other occasions, too. That's pretty much the extent of it.

Interesting, thanks.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline mike

• Protostrator
« Reply #576 on: January 20, 2016, 03:58:03 AM »

I miss stashko.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #577 on: January 20, 2016, 03:57:23 PM »

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #578 on: January 20, 2016, 05:54:53 PM »
Looks like a liturgy at a monastery. The men in the back without the kolonsowas are novices.

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #579 on: January 20, 2016, 06:22:40 PM »
Looks like a liturgy at a monastery. The men in the back without the kolonsowas are novices.

It is st. Pachomius monastery in the area of Luxor. But the most interesting fact for me is that most of the monks (especially the ones sitting on the floor) seem to be so bored... :P

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #580 on: January 20, 2016, 06:24:28 PM »

It is st. Pachomius monastery in the area of Luxor. But the most interesting fact for me is that most of the monks (especially the ones sitting on the floor) seem to be so bored... :P

To me, they just look over-heated...

Offline minasoliman

• Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
« Reply #581 on: January 20, 2016, 06:26:56 PM »

It seems they're reading either an epistle or Old Testament prophecies of the Theophany.

Also it is Luxor, so, with all the layers they wear, Fr. G makes a point lol

Also the novices got chairs and they didn't. So not fair :P
« Last Edit: January 20, 2016, 06:28:47 PM by minasoliman »

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #582 on: January 21, 2016, 01:06:36 PM »
Also it is Luxor, so, with all the layers they wear, Fr. G makes a point lol
But this time of the year? I don't think so ;) I've been to Luxor in July and yeah, it would be understable then ;)

That's what we call humility, I suppose :P

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #583 on: January 21, 2016, 01:08:57 PM »
I have been to Luxor in January and it was pretty darn hot.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #584 on: January 21, 2016, 01:22:41 PM »

Heat rises.  Think about it.