Author Topic: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day  (Read 122314 times)

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
Re: Oriental Orthodox Picture of the Day
« Reply #450 on: October 12, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
« Reply #451 on: October 12, 2015, 09:15:46 PM »
During the time of H.H. Pope Shenouda III.

Any explanation as to why?

A funny idea of humility. Like the tendancy not to let people kiss hands. In wish they would realize that it is the blessing of Christ people seek through them, and it is Christ who they manifest in the liturgy that they are denying glory, not themselves

Also a general ignorance of the meaning of these things so they're just seen as fancy emelishment without significance :(

I would have thought it would just have been because of the heat.

I don't think is suddenly got hotter 40 years ago... Prior to that you don't see photos of such abbreviated vestments.

Offline Jonathan

• High Elder
    • St. Mary's Coptic Orthodox
« Reply #452 on: October 12, 2015, 09:19:15 PM »
The combined pan OO service is splendid.  However I have to confess that neither the Malankaran nor the Coptic priest wore particularly appealing vestments IMO; I find myself pining for the grapevine pattern of Pulickal Brothers, and the apron like stole on the Coptic priest is strange (I prefer those which more closely resemble a hamnikho or epitrachelion), although I like his mitre a great deal.

I wish Coptic priests would begin serving fully vested again, like the priests of previous generations, instead of simply serving in a tonia.  It's nice that this priest at least wore and epitrachelion.  There is a gallery with more photos here.

Here's a recent example of a fully vested Coptic priest: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153038072588860

Presumably there is nothing stopping priests from wearing a full set of vestments?

It is considered taqs (rubrics) now that you have to dress one down from the bishop. So the bishops just wear stoles, or just tonyas, and the priests have to wear just tonias. When the bishop isn't around they can wear more, but then it starts to look to people like they only do it behind the bishops back. I've yet to see a bishop wear even an omophorian.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #453 on: October 13, 2015, 07:47:00 AM »
That individual is of course a nihang, a sort of Sikh saddhu, and interestingly there is a massive amountof hair in that turban.  I have read about him; he also rides a motorcycle, which itself seems a daunting prospect.

Nice job, telling someone of Indian background about an Indian.

I was of course addresing non-Indian members bloviating.

FIFY.  ;)

Then there's 'boviating,' which is talking about Sacred Cows...   8)

That's a different thread Father.....

Ooops... hope I don't get greened for cross-posting.  Anyway, I apologize for the derailment.  Let's get back to hot Indian vestments!    ???

While I find the Indian made vestments used by the Syriac Orthodox to be very dignified and elegant, it had not occurred to me to regard them as "hot."   :P

At various times SOC clergy at least wear just the hamnikho (epitrachelion) as in the Byzantine Rite, but the Phayno is worn during the divine liturgy.  Curiously the hamnikho is worn by itself in my experience when distributing the Eucharist.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2015, 07:51:26 AM by wgw »
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #454 on: October 13, 2015, 10:57:55 AM »
The combined pan OO service is splendid.  However I have to confess that neither the Malankaran nor the Coptic priest wore particularly appealing vestments IMO; I find myself pining for the grapevine pattern of Pulickal Brothers, and the apron like stole on the Coptic priest is strange (I prefer those which more closely resemble a hamnikho or epitrachelion), although I like his mitre a great deal.

I wish Coptic priests would begin serving fully vested again, like the priests of previous generations, instead of simply serving in a tonia.  It's nice that this priest at least wore and epitrachelion.  There is a gallery with more photos here.

Here's a recent example of a fully vested Coptic priest: https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=10153038072588860

Presumably there is nothing stopping priests from wearing a full set of vestments?

It is considered taqs (rubrics) now that you have to dress one down from the bishop. So the bishops just wear stoles, or just tonyas, and the priests have to wear just tonias. When the bishop isn't around they can wear more, but then it starts to look to people like they only do it behind the bishops back. I've yet to see a bishop wear even an omophorian.

Let's hope this gets fixed under the new Pope.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #455 on: October 13, 2015, 11:21:34 AM »
Sounds like a letter writing campaign is needed.  ;)
God bless!

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #456 on: October 19, 2015, 10:32:32 AM »
Remban (monk) Phinehas of Malekuriz dayara (Holy Cross mount Monastery) on his typewriter.  It is very inspiring to see how little these monks possess and how joyful they are.

« Last Edit: October 19, 2015, 10:33:44 AM by dhinuus »
NULL

Offline jobin219

• Mor Ignatius Noorono Please Pray for us
« Reply #457 on: October 20, 2015, 09:38:37 AM »
Most Rev. Arch Chorepiscopa Dr. Kurian Kaniamparambil (103 years) reposed in the Lord. He is the senior most priest in the entire Syriac Orthodox Church. An avid scholar with many publications during his tenure, the greatest achievement of his life was considered to be the translation of the complete Holy Bible, from ancient Pshitho Syriac text to Malayalam for the first time, which was released on August 2, 1994

"As far as possible never do evil to anyone: or it will ruin you, your children
and your house. Hold on steadfastly to prayer, fasting and works of charity.
Do them with faith and devotion ".
-Saint Gregorios Geevarghese Chathuruthy (Parumala Thirumeni)

Offline Amatorus

• OC.net guru
« Reply #458 on: October 21, 2015, 01:57:25 PM »
Praised Be

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #459 on: October 21, 2015, 11:50:59 PM »
Praised Be
When people us to praise him for his contributions; his standard response was : "The Lord has a need for this donkey today, thats all." 
NULL

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #460 on: October 21, 2015, 11:55:42 PM »
Memory eternal.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline dhinuus

• High Elder
« Reply #461 on: October 26, 2015, 10:19:23 PM »
Photos from the Oriental Orthodox Concelebrated Liturgy on October 24, 2015 held  at St. Mark's Syriac Orthodox Cathedral, Teaneck, NJ

« Last Edit: October 26, 2015, 10:22:08 PM by dhinuus »
NULL

• Taxiarches
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #463 on: October 27, 2015, 10:23:20 AM »
is that lace?  How interesting and kinda cool!
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #464 on: October 27, 2015, 11:38:09 AM »

Yes.  My late bishop recommended not using it because it's not traditional in the way a plain white alb/sticharion is (we probably got it through Latin influence), but it is common enough not to be considered odd.   
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #465 on: October 27, 2015, 11:46:28 AM »

Yes.  My late bishop recommended not using it because it's not traditional in the way a plain white alb/sticharion is (we probably got it through Latin influence), but it is common enough not to be considered odd.   

Lace is cooler, but it isn't cool.  #banthelace
You can't find wisdom in the mirror.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #466 on: October 27, 2015, 11:49:32 AM »

I suspect that is part of the appeal. 

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #467 on: October 27, 2015, 11:55:29 AM »

But, saying Indians don't like the heat is like saying the Japanese don't like raw fish.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #468 on: October 27, 2015, 12:24:14 PM »

But, saying Indians don't like the heat is like saying the Japanese don't like raw fish.

They like heat, sure.  But not that sort of heat.  :P

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #469 on: October 27, 2015, 12:35:53 PM »

They like heat, sure.  But not that sort of heat.  :P

Bollywood heat?  As in wet saris and musical cop movies?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #470 on: October 27, 2015, 12:38:02 PM »

The kind of heat I had in mind is more like "wet sari" than "musical cop", but it's not the kind of "wet sari" you'd ever want to warm up with.  Some vestments are made of sari fabric, none are made from police uniforms, etc.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2015, 12:38:48 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #471 on: October 27, 2015, 12:54:09 PM »

The kind of heat I had in mind is more like "wet sari" than "musical cop", but it's not the kind of "wet sari" you'd ever want to warm up with.  Some vestments are made of sari fabric, none are made from police uniforms, etc.

Too bad.  Indian cops seem awesome...

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #472 on: October 27, 2015, 12:58:40 PM »

Too bad.  Indian cops seem awesome...

They are not that awesome when we need them to deal with problems at churches.  :P

• Taxiarches
« Reply #473 on: October 27, 2015, 01:47:21 PM »

I don't think anyone of any nationality relishes being stank and sweaty.  Serving in North American churches with the AC turned off in the heat of the summer (because someone on the board is pinching pennies or because someone in the back row is complaining their kid is catching a cold) could drive any deacon or priest to wish he were serving in a lace sticharion.  I can only imagine how priests and deacons in Kerala must feel.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #474 on: October 27, 2015, 01:52:15 PM »

I don't think anyone of any nationality relishes being stank and sweaty.  Serving in North American churches with the AC turned off in the heat of the summer (because someone on the board is pinching pennies or because someone in the back row is complaining their kid is catching a cold) could drive any deacon or priest to wish he were serving in a lace sticharion.  I can only imagine how priests and deacons in Kerala must feel.

I assisted at a liturgy in Palm Desert when the AC went out.  By the time we ended, it was 105° F inside and 107° outside.  I thought the bishop was going to melt.

Of course, it was 'dry heat.'

::)

• Taxiarches
« Reply #475 on: October 27, 2015, 03:53:54 PM »

I assisted at a liturgy in Palm Desert when the AC went out.  By the time we ended, it was 105° F inside and 107° outside.  I thought the bishop was going to melt.

Not under the cassocks it wasn't.  ;)

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #476 on: October 27, 2015, 03:56:31 PM »

This is so in truth, amen.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #477 on: October 27, 2015, 04:10:23 PM »

What goes on under cassocks deserves to stay there.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #478 on: October 27, 2015, 04:13:02 PM »
First rule of Cassock Club, is to never talk about Cassock Club.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #479 on: October 27, 2015, 04:31:30 PM »
First rule of Cassock Club, is to never talk about Cassock Club.

That's good advice.  I remember once, after a long, hot, humid summer day, whispering a comment to a priest friend.  He agreed with my assessment, but we were overheard by some amused youths. 

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Section Moderator
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #480 on: October 27, 2015, 04:35:01 PM »
When some teens were asking an Abouna about how he can handle his black heavy cloak in the 90+ degree weather that day, Abouna replied, "Habibi, we priests are not wimps."
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline FatherGiryus

• Don't Ask
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #481 on: October 27, 2015, 06:09:08 PM »
When some teens were asking an Abouna about how he can handle his black heavy cloak in the 90+ degree weather that day, Abouna replied, "Habibi, we priests are not wimps."

It's not so bad, really, if you dress appropriately year round.  That means a thermal undershirt when it hits 70° or a wool vest.  Both when it drops to 65°.  People laugh when they see me running around in 90° weather wearing a long sleeve flannel shirt and denims, not realizing that's I'm way more comfortable than the guys who wear t-shirts and shorts year-round and can't handle being without AC for more than a few minutes.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #482 on: October 27, 2015, 06:12:24 PM »

Amen!

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #483 on: November 04, 2015, 03:38:27 AM »

https://commons.wikimedia.org/wiki/File:Anthony_the_Great_armenia.jpg

Interesting 16th century rendering of St. Anthony the Great by an unknown Armenian artist.  I guess the artist wouldn't have known what the desert looked like.  He painted St. Anthony in what seems like a green forest.   :)  St. Anthony is also dressed like an Armenian monk.  I guess we take it for granted that we have pictures and videos and whatnot showing us what other parts of the world look like.  Five hundred years ago, people just knew their own surroundings. 

Offline They

• Say...
« Reply #484 on: November 06, 2015, 01:57:36 AM »
"Ain't the devil happy" - Jeru tha Damaja

Offline They

• Say...
« Reply #485 on: November 06, 2015, 01:58:24 AM »

Offline They

• Say...
« Reply #486 on: November 06, 2015, 01:59:10 AM »

Offline They

• Say...
« Reply #487 on: November 06, 2015, 02:00:03 AM »

Offline They

• Say...
« Reply #488 on: November 06, 2015, 02:00:51 AM »

Offline They

• Say...
« Reply #489 on: November 06, 2015, 02:01:33 AM »
Get 'em while they're hot. Not sure how long post image dot org hosts photos.

Offline They

• Say...
« Reply #490 on: November 06, 2015, 02:02:23 AM »

Offline They

• Say...
« Reply #491 on: November 06, 2015, 02:03:09 AM »

Offline They