OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 23, 2014, 10:46:39 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: An experience I had..  (Read 1338 times) Average Rating: 0
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« on: October 09, 2002, 05:35:40 PM »

Hello friends.

As some of you may know, I left for Rome about a month ago, in hopes to finish my degree. Unfortunately, things did not turn out for the best, and I decided to come home.

This isn't to say I regret my experience that I had there for the past month. In fact, I have starting the process of learning what being a Christian is all about.

Many of you might disagree with what I am about to write, others will think it crazy, but I hope you at least think about it.

Europe is a rapidly dying culture. What was the center of the Renaissance has turned into a slum of the Earth.

One of my first experiences upon arrival in Rome was the fact that there were absolutely NO children. In a month of residing there, having contact with people in stores, in churches, in day to day life, I think I only came across 5 or 6 children under the age of 13. The implications of this are radical. Doing simple math, one can conclude that in 100 years the population of Italy will be severely incapicitated, and in 200 years most likely non-existant. Studies in other european countries are similar, the population is dying.

Abortion, rampant use of birth control outside of marriage, and prostitution have reached exorbitant levels. People no longer want to have children. They are motivated instead by jobs, wealth, and temporary pleasures.

In addition to all of this, even the many churches in Rome are seeing devastation. Among the Catholic population, 4% of the population of Rome attends Church. Many churches are closed down, and are taken over by the state. Why? Not enough priests, and not enough people to fill them!

Even the Orthodox churches in Rome are hit hard. With a massive influx of eastern european immigrants, you would think the local churches would be booming. Unfortunately, many of the immigrants are drug addicts, alcoholics, and are in serious need of help.

The dying population, along with the dying church is met by a massive increase of muslims in the area. While driving down the autostrada, I glimpsed out at the via Mosque and saw a looming church building, along with acres of property. They are the ones having all the children!

I feel the need to say that we are living in a culture of death. A denial of all that is good occurs as we speak. Never before have I witnessed such a vivid and visible personification of the battle between good and evil as I did while I was in Rome.

I was with several priests during my stay in Rome. Both Orthodox and Catholic. While they weared their riassa, or their cassock, people would often times hiss or spit at them as they walked by. In America, I have no witnessed this, so it strikes me as interesting as to why they did it.

Also a very strong communist and facist presence is there, especially among the teenagers and young adults. So many get lured into it, as they need something to stand for.

I would enjoy it if anyone would like to share experiences or comment on mine.

Bobby
« Last Edit: October 09, 2002, 05:41:23 PM by Bobby » Logged
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2002, 05:41:15 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

Dear Bobby,

You are totally right, Italy averages less than 1 child per married couple so their population is going to decrease severely. And with all the liberal social programs those that live there will get taxed like crazy as soon there will be more retired than working. That can definitely be blamed on birth control & abortion. Sadly, many parnets, even in America treat their kids like pets and don't have enough me-time so they forget Church. Its a bad, bad thing. :-(

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Frobie
Quasi Vero Monaco
High Elder

Rublev's Trinity

« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2002, 07:10:59 PM »

That is very sad. I have heard of a Jesuit priest in Rome who predicted that one day St. Peter's will be a mosque. Yes, folks, the kingdom of God will be taken away from us and given to the Muslims because they are fruitful, and we are not.  As my pastor (with whom Bobby travelled) said, we can dangle our rosaries and chant our chants, but it's all pointless if we are not fruitful.  However, there is hope. Trust the Holy Spirit. (I didn't want you all feeling completely down).

Christ is among us,

Matt
« Last Edit: October 09, 2002, 07:13:20 PM by byzrubush » Logged
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: