Author Topic: K.P. Yohannan  (Read 2415 times)

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
K.P. Yohannan
« on: March 08, 2015, 03:16:36 AM »
For a class I had to read a book by this Indian guy named K.P. Yohannan called Revolution in World Missions. And while the guy is a Protestant who is clearly off his rocker--using constant narcissistic terms like "God told me/God moved me" etc--I found his criticism of Western Protestant missionaries to be very interesting. He certainly made a lot of waves and ticked off a lot of groups in his time. He essentially stated Western missionaries are useless since 3rd world nations--particularly India--don't trust them and don't want to deal with their bullpoop after years of colonialism and imperialism, and that instead the West's only actions should be financial support to native missionaries and native Churches. He went as far as to state that he believes money is the only thing the West has to offer the world as far as missionary work is concerned.

What do you think of this guy? I'm particularly interested in what our resident Indian Mor Ephrem has to say.

In light of Western missionaries that often spread prosperity gospel garbage and undermine native Orthodox Churches in regions, destroying both native cultures as well as using exploitation to gain followers, I think this man may have had a point. Apart from money, what does the West have to offer? We've never endured persecution which produces genuine faith, and in light of our relatively privileged lives, I don't see any wisdom we could possibly share with the world or for that matter any sympathy with their problems.

Our Christianity seems to be more so a customized product of our own lives that is more or less irrelevant for others. Let's face it, you go to Church once a week and all is well. Since we're Orthodox and therefore a bit better off than most, let's make that twice a week combined with some lengthy prayers that make us feel nice. Then what? We're pretty much okay for the rest of our dull lives. But what about to some poor kid in the middle of some African jungle who hasn't eaten in 10 days? Or some Middle Eastern person who faced martyrdom if they apostatize from Islam? Is our Christianity really relevant to their lives? Do they have the luxury we have?

Western missionaries seem more so to be the spread of our consumerist culture underneath the veil of religion. We want people to adopt our lifestyle in a globalization effort. It's like when cosmetologists, fancy clothing brands, and hairstylists visit 3rd world nations and share their products with the natives under the guise of "charity" and "kindness"--ie "every woman deserves to look beautiful!" or some garbage like that--when these people don't even have drinking water. I feel that our religion is sort of the same way.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
Re: K.P. Yohannan
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2015, 11:37:09 PM »
I should add though, that Yohannan is ok with Western missionaries in areas that have zero Christian infrastructure such as the Maldives, though hopes that on that point one could at least find missionaries who are already from Muslim backgrounds or neighboring islands.

I agree with his thoughts on missions (opinion worth little since I've never been a missionary). The Orthodox Churches in Kenya have been very heavy in local work and leadership from what I've seen.

I just wish that the Moscow Patriarchate would actually begin evangelizing non-Russian speakers again and equipping them to raise up local evangelists and teachers. I don't think the MP mission in China does doodly-squat for or among the locals, but I could be wrong (perhaps the Chinese government accounts for that, though).
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2015, 03:27:55 PM »
I do not know who K.P Yohannan is or heard of him before but what he says does have some merit.

It is from experience that I see that Protestants or at least the Evangelicals tend to demonize local cultural practices. This is particularly amongst Chinese Protestants. Traditional Chinese practices such as Ancestor Veneration would be considered idolatry despite the main intent as rooted in Confucianist thought to be that of Filial Piety rather than the worship of the departed. Anyone that does so, worships another god. But rather ironic is that these Protestants still celebrate cultural festivals such as the Mid-autumn festival or Chinese New Year though it might be due to how secular these festivals are.

Either way, Western Protestantism have decimated or altered local cultures for the worse, bringing about conflict and tensions between locals. In places like Cambodia, there's even rumors of Evangelical missionaries involved in child prostitution and child trafficking. But the worst of this can be seen in what it done in South Korea. What the Protestants there did stemmed from the impression left by Western missionaries in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2015, 03:29:20 PM by sakura95 »
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 07:39:31 PM »
In places like Cambodia, there's even rumors of Evangelical missionaries involved in child prostitution and child trafficking.

Though I'm sure there's more than enough anti-Christian sentiment already in Cambodia to give someone the motive to spread that as a lie.

I'm not saying Evangelical (and Orthodox) missionaries have always done good, but there's more than enough substantiated examples (such as in South Korea) to discuss without paying heed to mere rumors.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2015, 09:33:04 AM »
In places like Cambodia, there's even rumors of Evangelical missionaries involved in child prostitution and child trafficking.

Though I'm sure there's more than enough anti-Christian sentiment already in Cambodia to give someone the motive to spread that as a lie.

I'm not saying Evangelical (and Orthodox) missionaries have always done good, but there's more than enough substantiated examples (such as in South Korea) to discuss without paying heed to mere rumors.
I don't know about child prostitution and trafficking, but there certainly are confirmed cases of serial pedophilia and the mission boards covering them up. New Tribes Mission, ABWE and others have been guilty of this.

https://bangladeshmksspeak.wordpress.com/
God bless!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2015, 09:37:39 AM »
Well then discuss away, I guess.

Excuse me while I go hang myself...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2015, 09:41:02 AM »
Well then discuss away, I guess.

Excuse me while I go hang myself...
Please don't do that. I don't want your death on my conscience for a forum post.
God bless!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2015, 09:47:37 AM »
If I was really going to do that, I wouldn't announce it so prosaically, I'm too much of a drama queen lol.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2015, 09:52:22 AM »
If I was really going to do that, I wouldn't announce it so prosaically, I'm too much of a drama queen lol.
Thats good. I was seconds away from calling the police and reporting an unknown person who may need to be hospitalized somewhere in the world.  :P
God bless!

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2015, 10:49:33 AM »

Well, Orthodox missions don't typically bring about the adverse negative consequences as Evangelical missions do. I can't say for sure whether Evangelical missionaries in Cambodia are really involved in Child Prostitution and Trafficking. This is a detail I got from a documentary I watched which is critical of these missionaries. Even then I'm unsure whether the documentary could be a reliable source which turns this whole thing into a rumor until more light is shed on this.
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2015, 10:52:39 AM »
Thats good. I was seconds away from calling the police and reporting an unknown person who may need to be hospitalized somewhere in the world.  :P

I think you just gave me an idea for a sci-fi story lol!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2015, 10:53:01 AM »

Well, Orthodox missions don't typically bring about the adverse negative consequences as Evangelical missions do. I can't say for sure whether Evangelical missionaries in Cambodia are really involved in Child Prostitution and Trafficking. This is a detail I got from a documentary I watched which is critical of these missionaries. Even then I'm unsure whether the documentary could be a reliable source which turns this whole thing into a rumor until more light is shed on this.

Understood.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #12 on: November 20, 2015, 08:40:53 PM »
Sorry for necro'ing this thread, but I thought I'd bring up an important point. Yohannan was raised in the Mar Thoma Syrian Church (which was itself a sort of Anglicanized offshoot of the Syriac church in the region). Apparently, even that wasn't Protestant enough for him, so he left in his teens to join a Pentecostal-leaning group, and now he leads his own denomination called the "Believers Church" (who are sort of like the Georgian Baptists in that they have bishops, vestments and some "high-church" external characteristics but their overall theology is essentially Baptist).

So far I've been unable to find any information shedding more light on why he left, how he views the older St. Thomas Churches, or how they view him (does he engage in sheep-stealing? Do they see him as an apostate? etc.)

By the way, the group that he leads is called Gospel for Asia.
« Last Edit: November 20, 2015, 08:42:00 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #13 on: November 20, 2015, 08:47:06 PM »
Warren Throckmorton has been critical of him on Patheos, for his group's lack of financial transparency as well as an alleged "ring-kissing" ritual intended to demonstrate his pastors' loyalty to him. He has styled himself a Metropolitan (he received consecration as a bishop from the Church of South India).

Again, the similarities with the Georgian Baptists are quite apparent.

I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2016, 11:05:51 PM »
Now he's being accused of plagiarism.

I've also seen some assorted videos and blog posts claiming that he's planning a merger with the local Syriac Orthodox church. I'm not sure how true these rumors are or if they're based on a misunderstanding. This source on the other hand seems to suggest that most of his followers are former OO. In other words, that he's a sheep-stealer.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2016, 11:22:11 PM by Minnesotan »