OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 18, 2014, 03:42:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Questions about Hesychia  (Read 1087 times) Average Rating: 0
Leao

« on: January 20, 2005, 01:49:45 PM »

I understand that Hesychia refers to the ascetic practice of ceaselessly praying the Jesus Prayer along with obeying certain rules regarding posture, breathing etc. in order to remove worldly distractions and open one's eyes up to the Uncreated Light. I understand that participation in the Divine Light can sometimes mystically transfigure one's face as happened with St Seraphim in front of Motovilov in 1883. A couple of questions:

Are visible manifestations of the divine light a regular occurrence among practitioners of Hesychia?
Does 'seeing' the divine light generally refer more to an interior, invisible vision rather than a more objective outward manifestation of Light?

Cheers
Leo
« Last Edit: January 24, 2005, 08:28:37 AM by Leao » Logged

Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2008, 02:30:49 AM »

Interesting questions, hopefully someone can answer (now)...

Yes, yes, youth is wasted on the young. And so is accumulated experience wasted on the old, the positives of modernism wasted on moderns, the beauty of Christianity wasted on Christians, the utility of scholarship wasted on scholars, and on and on.
prodromas
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2008, 02:41:15 AM »

I understand that Hesychia refers to the ascetic practice of ceaselessly praying the Jesus Prayer along with obeying certain rules regarding posture, breathing etc. in order to remove worldly distractions and open one's eyes up to the Uncreated Light. I understand that participation in the Divine Light can sometimes mystically transfigure one's face as happened with St Seraphim in front of Motovilov in 1883. A couple of questions:

Are visible manifestations of the divine light a regular occurrence among practitioners of Hesychia?
Does 'seeing' the divine light generally refer more to an interior, invisible vision rather than a more objective outward manifestation of Light?

Cheers
Leo

Well the same thing happened with Moses and it was defiantly an objective manifestation of light that people were blinded by. Also there is a modern Coptic monk I believe whose hands have become illumined due to prayer and now he covers them up with socks.

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
sohma_hatori
Earthbending Novice
High Elder

Faith: Roman Catholic
Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Greek Catholic Church

The Blind Bandit

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2008, 09:13:29 AM »

While illumination of the body has been manifested on some people, I believe that what Hesychasm really seeks is internal illumination, being one with Jesus Christ, the Light of the world..  Smiley
In my not so very educated opinion, the things that happened to Saint Seraphim for example, are just a manifestation of hos much their souls have been illumined that God has made it appear also in their flesh..

In ICXC,
Wilbur

""Pride is not the opposite of shame, but it's source. True humility is the only antidote to shame.""
— Iroh- Avatar:The Last Airbender
Papist
Patriarch of Pontification
Toumarches

Faith: Catholic
Jurisdiction: Byzantine

Praying for the Christians in Iraq

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2008, 12:01:22 PM »

It is my understanding that, according to this spiritaulity, when one sees the divine light, he is literally seeing God (in his energies but not his essence). Palamas argued in favor of the idea against Barlaam, because Palamas wanted to protect the truth that we really do participate in the divinity as we expereience theosis. One scriptural example that heyschasts argue is an example of Sts. Seeing the "Divine Light" is the transfiguration of Christ on Mt. Tabor. here the Apostles saw Christ in dazzling white light. Hesychasts believe that that light is the Energies of God and, thus, that the Apostles saw God.
While I certainly agree with the Essence/Energies distinction and the idea that we really do participate in the Divinity, I do not agree with Hesychast spirituality or the idea that one physically sees God because I am a Catholic. However, this is not the place to debate that matter so I will not do that here.
« Last Edit: October 24, 2008, 12:02:34 PM by Papist » Logged

Note Papist's influence from the tyrannical monarchism of traditional papism .
Tags: hesychia Uncreated Light Hesychasm 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: