Author Topic: All Things Cats  (Read 58697 times)

Offline Ainnir

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Re: All Things Cats
« Reply #450 on: November 15, 2018, 09:37:57 PM »
They're seat warmers.   :laugh:
Is any of the above Orthodox?  I have no idea, so there’s that.

Pray for me, a wretched sinner.

Jacob wrestled with God all through the night.  At the break of day, he became Israel.

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #451 on: November 16, 2018, 11:28:43 AM »
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #452 on: November 16, 2018, 11:38:27 AM »
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline mcarmichael

• "buddy"
  • Archon
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #453 on: January 06, 2019, 01:29:22 AM »
more cats please.

Offline Alpha60

• A thing of routers, hubs and switches, and dreary web GUIs
  • Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
  • OCNet Systems and Network Operations
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #454 on: January 21, 2019, 04:10:41 AM »
I might get another cat.  I am debating whether I should get a siamese or try a different breed this time.  Thoughts?

My old cat Clattipor was a giant Siamese, who weighed at his peak 22 lbs, with a 15” tail.  He was incredibly beautiful, and usually very friendly, but in my youth he would occasionally pounce me, bite or scratch if he was upset. Siamese cats can be nasty.  You did not want to make Por-Por angry.  But he was a very good pet, and he never went for my eyes or inflicted lasting damage.  He also never attacked anyone else.  I think the reason he would sometimes pounce on me was because I was 7 years old when I got him, and he identified with myself and my mother very extensively (he would try to vocalize our names), and if he was aggrieved he would come to either of us, and if it was a matter of food or his catbox requiring attention, he would bite.  On the other hand if he was cold, he would make a pathetic meow and jump into our lap or bed and then purr like the V8 on a Dodge Challenger.

He was a seal point shorthair applehead Siamese, not one of those ugly expensive Siamese with deformed heads historically preferred by breeders.  I am not a huge fan of modern Siamese.  I prefer the traditional Siamese, or Thai cats as the International Cat Association now calls them.

Por looked like this when he was young, before growing to massive size, except his rear legs always kind of dragged a bit (there are certain jumps smaller cats do which he would never do), and he had flared ears which caused one vet to believe the breeder had partially crossbred into his line a lynx (if so, this would explain his unusual size, his loud, fumbling gate, his strange behavior and his tendency to resort to violence if unhappy): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Mimbi3.JPG

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.
The ancient ways shall prevail.

The sentiment of Nicea in Greek and Latin, translated into English.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #455 on: January 21, 2019, 04:11:34 AM »

Call me cynical, but I suspect photoshopping.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #456 on: January 23, 2019, 10:17:30 AM »
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline Iconodule

• Hoplitarches
  • Jurisdiction: Patriarchate of Johnstown
« Reply #457 on: January 23, 2019, 11:19:55 AM »
I might get another cat.  I am debating whether I should get a siamese or try a different breed this time.  Thoughts?

My old cat Clattipor was a giant Siamese, who weighed at his peak 22 lbs, with a 15” tail.  He was incredibly beautiful, and usually very friendly, but in my youth he would occasionally pounce me, bite or scratch if he was upset. Siamese cats can be nasty.  You did not want to make Por-Por angry.  But he was a very good pet, and he never went for my eyes or inflicted lasting damage.  He also never attacked anyone else.  I think the reason he would sometimes pounce on me was because I was 7 years old when I got him, and he identified with myself and my mother very extensively (he would try to vocalize our names), and if he was aggrieved he would come to either of us, and if it was a matter of food or his catbox requiring attention, he would bite.  On the other hand if he was cold, he would make a pathetic meow and jump into our lap or bed and then purr like the V8 on a Dodge Challenger.

He was a seal point shorthair applehead Siamese, not one of those ugly expensive Siamese with deformed heads historically preferred by breeders.  I am not a huge fan of modern Siamese.  I prefer the traditional Siamese, or Thai cats as the International Cat Association now calls them.

Por looked like this when he was young, before growing to massive size, except his rear legs always kind of dragged a bit (there are certain jumps smaller cats do which he would never do), and he had flared ears which caused one vet to believe the breeder had partially crossbred into his line a lynx (if so, this would explain his unusual size, his loud, fumbling gate, his strange behavior and his tendency to resort to violence if unhappy): https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/5/57/Mimbi3.JPG

Get a rescue. There are so many cats dying in shelters today that there's really no excuse for getting a cat from a breeder.
“Steel isn't strong, boy, flesh is stronger! That is strength, boy! That is power! What is steel compared to the hand that wields it?  Contemplate this on the tree of woe.” - Elder Thulsa Doom of the Mountain of Power

Mencius said, “Instruction makes use of many techniques. When I do not deign to instruct someone, that too is a form of instruction.”

Come look at my lame blog

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #458 on: January 23, 2019, 11:22:15 AM »
Unless you want a specific breed.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #459 on: January 23, 2019, 12:57:32 PM »

Get a rescue. There are so many cats dying in shelters today that there's really no excuse for getting a cat from a breeder.

An avenue worth looking into is adult cats in need of rehoming. They are a lot cheaper than a kitten and potentially easier to settle in (since there's no housebreaking), provided they take a liking to you. Not too many of them around, but a stroke of good luck is always a possibility.

I was researching the other day how we could possibly get a Norwegian Forest (the mister is allergic, so that and the Sphynx are the only options open to us). I found kittens going for £500-600, but there was also someone needing to rehome their queen, and asking for only £290, including all her gear.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Hoplitarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #460 on: April 18, 2019, 05:03:55 PM »
I feel like selectively breeding these things into existence was a highly immoral act, but darned if they aren't still cute!

Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #461 on: April 21, 2019, 08:33:52 PM »
You know what this thread hasn't had yet? A cat eating corn straight off the cob:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dlRtKga7sv8

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Protostrator
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #462 on: April 21, 2019, 09:02:59 PM »
Yes!
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #463 on: August 05, 2019, 07:08:20 PM »

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Patriarchate/POC
« Reply #464 on: August 20, 2019, 09:49:22 AM »
This kitty is right

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #465 on: August 20, 2019, 02:46:17 PM »

An avenue worth looking into is adult cats in need of rehoming. They are a lot cheaper than a kitten and potentially easier to settle in (since there's no housebreaking), provided they take a liking to you. Not too many of them around, but a stroke of good luck is always a possibility.

I was researching the other day how we could possibly get a Norwegian Forest (the mister is allergic, so that and the Sphynx are the only options open to us). I found kittens going for £500-600, but there was also someone needing to rehome their queen, and asking for only £290, including all her gear.

I would love to get an adult Siamese cat and indeed have been looking at Siamese rescue websites for some time.  In the past, in addition to Clatipor, we had a female cat who lived in the neighborhood and was shared by us and unknown neighbors, who we called Polly; she was what I like to call a “dairy cat” (white with black spots, or black with white spots, or some vague admixture thereof, so as to resemble Holstein cattle), and was exceptionally friendly.  Presently we are on very good terms with a cat in the neighborhood, who recently had kittens.

I get where you are coming from, but at the same time, I have to say, responsible breeders do provide a valuable service in terms of providing very high-quality dogs and cats you can’t find in a shelter, and preserving these unique breeds, which would die out if everyone had their cats spayed and neutered and only got cats from a shelter.  The Siamese cat is one such cat that one tends to either rescue ad an adult or get from a breeder; they do occasionally turn up in a shelter, but most are half breeds, like the kitten we rescued in 2004 that got stuck in our addict (she was very young; housebreaking her was also extremely easy).  More exotic breeds, like Persians and Himalayans, and also certain rare varieties of Siamese cats like chocolate or seal point cats, are another example of a cat you would need a breeder for, unless you got really lucky and found an adult cat to rescue.  Also Manx cats usually one needs a breeder for, although my grandparents lived in a neighborhood that was swarming with manx and chocolate-point Siamese cats due to irresponsible neighbors.  There was even a poor Siamese-Manx hybrid in the neighborhood who was Siamese in appearance except for the characteristic stubby tail.

But if one wants a Tabby kitten, or a gold tiger striped kitten, or a black or white kitten, or a black and white kitten, or a Calico cat, or one of several varieties of grey cats, or what the British call a “Mog”, like Larry the Chief Mouser, or is simply indifferent to the type of cat to be obtained, then there is indeed no excuse for not going to a shelter and adopting a cat otherwise likely to be terminated.

Also, for the other breeds, I do think it a good idea to look for adult cats (which can still be very young) before buying a kitten.  But if one does want a Himalayan kitten or a Seal Point Siamese kitten, just as if one wants a high quality dog like a poodle, or a purebred Labrador, or Golden Retriever, or a Siberian Husky, or an Akita, or a Great Dane, or any other specific breed, then the use of a breeder is likely to be needed.  However, the continued existence of catteries and puppy mills is detestable.

I am also a huge fan of no-kill animal shelters.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Alpha60

• Technical Director
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #466 on: August 20, 2019, 02:52:38 PM »
One other rewarding experience from my childhood; we came across an adorable white-bellied tabby cat who looked very ill.  We took him to the vet where it was determined he had been poisoned.  They were able to save his life and he spent the night recovering at our house (Clatipor was not happy about this, and the poor thing needed time to recover bladder control, etc, so we cared for him in one of the bathrooms).  The next day we were able to place this beautiful 18 month-old cat with a college student who was thrilled to have him.   

I was blessed with an exceptionally good childhood, but that memory stands out as one of the most special moments.   Being able to save a poisoned tabby cat was particularly rewarding.

Council of Nicea:
Εθη ἀρχαῖα κρατείτω. 
Mores antiqui obtineant.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #467 on: August 20, 2019, 05:55:01 PM »
I get where you are coming from, but at the same time, I have to say, responsible breeders do provide a valuable service in terms of providing very high-quality dogs and cats you can’t find in a shelter, and preserving these unique breeds, which would die out if everyone had their cats spayed and neutered and only got cats from a shelter.  The Siamese cat is one such cat that one tends to either rescue ad an adult or get from a breeder; they do occasionally turn up in a shelter, but most are half breeds, like the kitten we rescued in 2004 that got stuck in our addict (she was very young; housebreaking her was also extremely easy).  More exotic breeds, like Persians and Himalayans, and also certain rare varieties of Siamese cats like chocolate or seal point cats, are another example of a cat you would need a breeder for, unless you got really lucky and found an adult cat to rescue.  Also Manx cats usually one needs a breeder for, although my grandparents lived in a neighborhood that was swarming with manx and chocolate-point Siamese cats due to irresponsible neighbors.  There was even a poor Siamese-Manx hybrid in the neighborhood who was Siamese in appearance except for the characteristic stubby tail.

You'd be surprised. A FB friend fosters kittens full-time, and at any given time she has several Siamese in her care, of all sorts of point colour combinations. Even owners of purebreds can be too ignorant or too cheap to spay their cats. :(

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #468 on: August 20, 2019, 06:02:59 PM »
Mor, you know better.  If you've eaten Chinese food in New York, you've eaten cat.  So, yes, it's delicious.

Good to know it's a global thing. :D

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cat_meat

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #469 on: September 01, 2019, 02:25:37 PM »
In Veliko Trnovo

In Varna

Offline PrelestWatch

• Deeply disturbed
« Reply #470 on: October 10, 2019, 01:06:47 AM »
One of my favorite cats is also a saint: St. John the Hissy Cat.  ;D

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #471 on: October 10, 2019, 02:55:29 AM »
One of my favorite cats is also a saint: St. John the Hissy Cat.  ;D

Sounds gay.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #472 on: October 29, 2019, 09:21:56 PM »

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #473 on: December 12, 2019, 11:28:39 AM »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #474 on: December 12, 2019, 11:46:37 AM »
AAP doing the Lord's work!

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #475 on: December 12, 2019, 02:53:53 PM »

Offline Dominika

• Global Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
« Reply #476 on: July 11, 2020, 08:38:11 AM »

Offline hecma925

• Stratopedarches
« Reply #477 on: Today at 10:00:28 AM »
Idol-worshipping demon.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #478 on: Today at 11:47:07 AM »
Idol-worshipping demon.

Exactly.
OCnet is KGB.
I hail Mor Ephrem as our Secretary General.

Oh you Greeks, you are all dumb!

An Athonite