OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 02, 2014, 12:39:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Job Haters Anonymous (or not so anonymous)  (Read 3744 times) Average Rating: 0
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« on: June 10, 2005, 09:04:26 PM »

I've heard a lot of hints at users hating their jobs lately......so I wanted to devote a thread to talk about these issues: what we hate about our jobs and what we can do to overcome them....

I'll begin.....

The real reason I hate my job is because I hate my co-workers....in fact, that's really the only reason why I've hated ANY job.  I feel like my IQ gits lower (doh!) every time I go into work.  I feel that my job is "beneath me".  All my co-workers do is make fun of people behind their backs (whether on break or otherwise).  I feel like my co-workers represent the epitome of everything I've ever hated about stereotypical, white, rural Midwestern males (in case you haven't noticed already, I'm one of these pretentious intolerantly tolerant wanna-be-men-"of-the-world" types....you know, the white guy who hates all white guys).  Going into work every night is sheer utter torment (I work 3rd shift....btw, I was seriously bent on skipping the letter "f" in that word).  I literally DREAD coming into work every night.....in fact, by my first day off, I'm already dreading coming into work in two nights.

How do I cope with my hatred of my job?....How do you all cope?

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #1 on: June 10, 2005, 09:33:13 PM »

I think I hate my job.  I don't if I hate it or if I just dislike it. 

I'm a lawyer and I'm beginning to realize that my role is to be a parasite on society.  To prey on others' misfortunes.  That doesn't make it much fun to go to work each day.  Smiley

My co-workers are not very nice people.  They're very cold and spend a lot of time making fun of one of associates. 

I don't know if I should quit and try to find something else or just accept that this is my fate.  I'm thinking about making a switch to public interest.  Maybe then I'd be on the right side. 

I just ordered two books from Amazon about getting out of the law.  One year out of law school and I'm already plotting my escape!  Smiley 

ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #2 on: June 10, 2005, 10:48:18 PM »

I have a rather odd situation at my job, and I've tolerated for the past 2 years for the lack of a better one.
My boss, who is Russian Orthodox, lets me go for major Ortho holidays so I can go home, is very lax at enforcing being there on time, and gives me little perks ($200 bonus for working a couple hours on the weekend, sneaks me into her health club to play raquet ball, and we go out on occasion).  I can also talk to her about a lot of things, especially regarding Orthodox stuff that no other boss would understand.
HOWEVER, I hate my job most of the time.  In the last 2 years she's fired 3 people, who's jobs now I've taken over, on top of the job I was hired to do.  So now, I'm office manager, accountant, project coordinator, and admin assistant rolled into one.  She's got major moodswings, depending on what meds she's taking.  I have serious issues with some things she does, especially since she KNOWS that our religion does not allow it.  I'm also her unofficial psychotherapist, and I can't tell her what I really think.  When I am exchanging emails with a client or a subcontractor, she has a habit of answering my emails without checking the background of the conversation, and usually manages to escalate and irritate a completely normal exchange.  She tells me to promise subcontractors payment, and then doesn't approve it when I bring it up for her to sign.  She doesn't show up for work for days at a time.  She uses our corporate card for her own personal usage.  80% of the huge credit card bill is her buying herself stuff from expensive stores (food, clothes, whatever, the biggest was buying herself and her boyfriend a 2 week vacation in Mexico while the biggest project of the year was going on).  And then she wonders why the business is not doing so well.  Anything negative that happens with a client, even if she authorized whatever it is, is placed completely on me. 
The worst thing is, if the business ever fails, it will be all my fault.  Her parents go to my church, and within a few days, my entire parish would be gossiping about how I screwed up.  (It probably would be my fault, admittedly, but how can you let someone without any experience or education run your business?) .  I'm no peach myself and she's let me get away with a lot of stuff, and she, in a very strange way, knows more about me than most other people.
BUT
I want out, and I have to do it as gracefully as possible.  So I've gone back to school nights, for a career that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with computers, or sitting at a desk all day long, thank God.  Hopefully I'll be able to quit by February, but since it's only June, it seems a LONG WAY away. 
I know I sound like I whining, and I am.  I usually don't feel like this, as usually I have a very laid back attitude, but its been a long day, and I need to vent.
I'll probably delete this post tomorrow, when I've had time to think about it and calm down, but this is me at this moment.
Thanks for letting me go on and on.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 10:48:48 PM by ania » Logged

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 11:36:25 PM »

So I've gone back to school nights, for a career that has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING to do with computers, or sitting at a desk all day long, thank God.

what are you currently studying? my goal is to not work in front of a computer in an office setting too, so im interested Smiley

hmmmm...
Tallitot
Archon

Faith: Jewish
Jurisdiction: United Synagogue of Conservative Judaism

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2005, 12:27:49 AM »

I have to admit...I love my job Cheesy I've been a nurse for 26 yrs. I've worked in Oncology, Pediatric ICU Neonatal ICU and adult ICU. I've been night supervisor at my hospital for about 4 yrs. Every job I've had in nursing has had it's ups & downs but I've been happpy about 70-80% of the time.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 12:30:55 AM by Crucifer » Logged

Proverbs 22:7
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2005, 01:19:39 AM »

Hate my job?  No, not as such.  What I hate is how what I am supposed to do has been turned into a caricature of itself by the government.

I am supposed to do all this stuff as well as...oh, yeah...actually instruct.  If corporate America put as few people in charge of as many people as the education system does, corp. Amer. would collapse.  Plus, there's the issue of all students, regardless of background or skills, being given the same expectations educationally.  It just ain't gonna happen, folks.  There's no way the child in a broken home in the projects, who doesn't eat breakfast and is brought up on Jerry Springer and works full-time at age 14 is going to be able to perform on the level of the child of two college-educated, involved parents, who receives good societal behavior patterns, three healthy meals a day and plenty of sleep.

There ought to be vocational programs--or at least, school/vocational--for the former, and higher educational programs for the latter.  It may sound elitist, but I've seen it both sides.  What we got ain't gonna work, and programs like No Child Gets Ahe- (ahem) No Child Left Behind ain't gonna fix it, no matter how much cash we throw at it.

All that having been said, seeing someone leave your class with applied knowledge they did NOT have at the beginning of the year (in my case, speaking and understanding Spanish) is one of the great thrills of my life.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
beewolf

In Thy Light we see Light

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 03:27:07 AM »

The reason why i dislike my job is that they change the ground rules all the time. To myself i refer to it as the Laban factor, because of the way in which Laban changed Jacob's 'KPIs' everytime he started to actually have some success -but God was with him anyway. I work really hard to achieve the goals they set and then they say that they are going to measure something else instead. It is very wearying. I also have one guy who actually can't do his job properly but because he is the owner it doesn't matter -everyone else has to take up the slack. I mean this guy doesn't even know how to look up a product on his own company's system. There is another guy who sets out to undermine everyone else by not passing on information he needs to. One very positive thing is that the general manager actually asks me things about God now and then - so I get to talk about things that matter. I have always wanted to be a monk or a priest, but I'm 50 now - I stood in the kitchen at work and looked at the flaking paint on the wall and said to myself - "God is just as close to me here as anywhere else - live here and now in the moment and "rejoice always (what even here Lord?), pray without ceasing, in everything (what even in this?) give thanks, for THIS is the will of God in Christ Jesus." 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18. I aint sayin its easy - but its a form of suffering to be embraced that it might change me, that i might rise with all the saints. I walk up to the cafe for coffee and walk round the long way through the fragrant trees saying the Jesus prayer on my beads - everyday i repent at my unspiritual thoughts and feelings - yes my job is a furnace like the one the young men in Babylon were thrown into, but God was in their with them and in the end they came out and the only thing to be burned away were the ropes holding them.

Holy God, Holy Strong, Holy Immortal, have mercy on us.

Gospodi pomiluy
PhosZoe
Elder

One foot in the cradle

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 10:54:38 AM »

To Idontlikenames. I don't like white people either, then again I don't consider myself to be "white". Cheesy  However, I know exactly what you are talking about and wherever you go in the midwest, may it be Chicago or some small town in Iowa you'll find the same cracker-tude. It's irritating but I've learned to find it amusing.

As for me,  the person I work I believe has some serious mental health issues. Another thing that makes her irritating is her "go go 80s power suit mentality" It's as tired as blue eyeshadow I pray for her.

I make the best of my working environment but I have to work at it constantly..   All in all, I like the functions of my job, but I could leave some of the people. 
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 11:42:25 AM »

I'm one of the few who has a job they enjoy.  I just got a job as a Unix System Admin at a big Fortune 100. It's my ideal job!!
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: June 13, 2005, 10:42:48 AM »

what are you currently studying? my goal is to not work in front of a computer in an office setting too, so im interested Smiley

I'm training for massage therapy... far cry from desk jockey as I can get without actually having to work outside :-)

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #10 on: June 13, 2005, 11:19:57 AM »

"If you don't like how things are, change it! You're not a tree."

"Let others lead small lives, but not you. Let others argue over small things, but not you. Let others cry over small hurts, but not you. Let others leave their future in someone else's hands, but not you."

"If you don't design your own life plan, chances are you'll fall into someone else's plan. And guess what they have planned for you? Not much."

Jim Rohn

http://en.thinkexist.com/quotes/jim_rohn/
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 11:23:27 AM by TomS » Logged
YankeeLady

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 12:01:33 PM »

I can sympathize with most of the situations discussed here.  I was unemployed for 1 1/2 years and finally landed a job with the development dept. of a theater.  I was thrilled to be in an arts environment again (having worked before in a museum), even though I detest fundraising (but have 11 years experience).  My B.A. is in History, with a concentration in Art History.  I was hoping to get my Master's in Museum Studies but I didn't have the cash and had a lot of commitments.  I still have that dream but it's just impossible right now.  Anyway, I thought the theater would be an interesting environment and might have potential.  WRONG!  There's been a constant turnover here, there are some very nice people and some awful ones.  And there's constant pressure. More and more and more is demanded.  Lots of overtime but no pay for it (just comp time).  And I make $6,000 less than I need to pay all the bills and survive.  I absolutely dread going to work.  It's hard to convey the atmosphere here.  There's a woman who's had a very hard life who has hooked onto me and goes over and over all her woes and the mistreatment she's received.  I pity her but just can't get into the role of rescuer again.  It's taking all of my energy just to stay on an emotional even keel.  I've wished more than once that I would just die in my sleep.  It's that bad.  The icing on the cake is that someone here has been stealing money.  I've lost about $20 on three occasions and the woman who's life is a mess has lost about $55 on three occasions as well.  We don't know who to trust to tell here.  Literally anyone could be the culprit.  I suspect it's my immediate boss but I don't know for sure.  She's nice and easy to work with in general but is having financial woes herself.  I've got to find another position quickly.  I'm so anxious every day that I've actually thought about getting into my car and start driving until I'm so far away from everyone and everything I know that I'll never be found.   To tell you the truth, I feel abandoned by God.  I prayed so fervently that I would find a job that would be a good place to be.  I didn't even want to be interviewed for the bad ones.  I haven't had a job this awful in 20 years.  Sorry to rant, it just seems so hopeless.  I can't just leave.  I'm trying to save for the property taxes due in July.  I keep telling myself, "only a few more weeks until the taxes are paid", but I know I couldn't leave then anyway.  There are so many other bills.
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #12 on: June 13, 2005, 01:29:28 PM »

After talking to enough people about this, I'm convinced that wherever we go, we'll find problems...and if that is what we focus on, it will become an enormity.

This is not because we're delusional in terms of our observation - no, what we're annoyed with is more than likely very real, and not up to par with what our rational mind knows full well "ought to be."

The delusion though, is the perspective we put on these observations, and the weight we give them.  Yes, I hate my job too.  But I've been shocked to find pencil pushers who play around on these message forums while they're at work (I'm not at work - I work at night, so this is my evening), complaining about a job I'd "love" to have.  This used to get under my skin, until I realized... no, I'd eventually find something wrong with that too.

I know it sounds all "churchy", but I'm really trying to take the working experience as an ascesis - a call to be virtuous when it's not rewarded with praise (in fact it will often get you in "trouble") or at all appreciated by men, to close one's ears to gossip, and to learn to suffer gracefully.  Also, it's a call to have courage - because when you work with the heathen, you ultimatly have two choices; carry on as if they were not there (so to speak), or hide your faith so as to avoid their snide comments or uncomfortable lack of sympathy.

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #13 on: June 13, 2005, 01:46:31 PM »

After talking to enough people about this, I'm convinced that wherever we go, we'll find problems...and if that is what we focus on, it will become an enormity.

EXACTLY!

"We become what we think about most of the time." - Brian Tracy

"You can change where you are, you can change what you are, by changing what goes into your mind" - Zig Ziglar

"You are who you are because of the people you have allowed to affect you. If you surround yourself with negativity - you will GET negativity." Dennis Waitley

"To attract attractive things you must first become attractive." Jim Rohn

ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #14 on: June 13, 2005, 01:56:35 PM »

Speaking as a self-admited pencil-pusher who spends much to much time at this forum, I just know this job is not right for me, and I am biding my time here until I can get out.  I stink at my job, fully admit it, and thank God every day that I've been able to survive here for so long, and thank Him even more for getting me to realize that pencil-pushing is not for me while I'm still in a situation where it's easy for me to get out (no husband, no kids, no major bills, just my apartment with rent month to month, not very many close friends in the area, and only myself to worry about) of here when the time is right, (hopefully will be right this coming February, March). 
I know that at whatever job I find wherever it will be I end up when I leave DC, I'll have issues with co-workers, bosses, etc... but at least I'll be doing something I enjoy (interacting with people FACE TO FACE (what a novel concept) rather than staring at a computer all day, and knowing them only by their signatures at the bottom of their posts or emails).

On another topic entirely, I really have to work on cutting down my run-on sentances.

YankeeLady

OC.net

« Reply #15 on: June 13, 2005, 02:37:56 PM »

Sorry guys.  Positive thinking isn't enough.  When you're the person with NO power, at the bottom of the heap in the work pecking order and still, you have to smile and play nice because the bills need to be paid and you have others at home depending on you, well, after awhile you can understand why some people go postal.  Sometimes work is just agony.  Death seems preferable.

Work brings out the worst in people.  Hard work, being a team player, helping out when no one else will--they mean nothing when you are in an unjust environment to begin with.  I have felt at times that there was a demonic spirit at work in this place.  A few of the people have talked about the resident "ghost".  I don't think it's a ghost they're dealing with.

I was so desperate for a job when this offer came along that I took it, even though I had a nagging feeling in the back of my mind that something didn't seem quite right.  Hasn't anyone else experienced a sense of evil in their workplace?  I worked one other place where this was so.  It affects everyone.  Something more is going on here than just personality conflicts.  I have to get out soon.  I needed to work someplace where my faith in humanity could be restored (or at least patched up).  This place isn't it.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #16 on: June 13, 2005, 03:10:36 PM »

Sorry guys.ÂÂ  Positive thinking isn't enough.ÂÂ

Never said it was. Positive thinking without action is simply delusion.

The key is to START making changes - first in how you think about things, what you read and allow to effect you, and then little by little, start taking daily actions to implement change.

You are failing to see that it was YOUR actions (assuming you are an adult) in the past that have gotten you where you are today. You either dug the hole yourself or you climbed in behind the person who dug it for you.

The good news is it does not matter - tomorrow does NOT have to equal today.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 03:31:16 PM by TomS » Logged
YankeeLady

OC.net

« Reply #17 on: June 13, 2005, 03:48:25 PM »

TomS,

I think we don't understand each other very well.  We have ALL made mistakes in the past.  And I know how mine have affected my present.  But it wasn't ALL my doing.  Sometimes people you work with have evil intentions.  Sometimes your best efforts fail.  I have been trying to change my life for 10 years.  I have gone to career counselors, tried to work with contacts, etc.  But sometimes it just doesn't work out. The harder I worked to prove myself, the less my employers and co-workers thought of me.  I was the one who saved the day and got no credit for it.  When I objected I was told I wasn't a team player.  Gee, I guess I didn't have the right attitude.  I must have deserved to be treated like dirt.  Have you never felt like life was a punishment?  I'm almost 48 kiddo.  I'm fairly confident I'm a good deal older than you.  When your dreams are shattered and you find yourself in a dead end job working in an oppressive atmosphere, tell me it's all about attitude.  Life is filled with heartache and disappointment.  But by all means, tell those despairing of having meaningful work or a happy life that it's all their fault.  The world is a cruel, brutal place.  Nice people finish last more than anyone would like to believe.
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #18 on: June 13, 2005, 03:58:01 PM »

I think we don't understand each other very well.ÂÂ  We have ALL made mistakes in the past.

I understand you perfectly. The question is, do you learn from your mistakes? Do you sit down and go over them step by step? Do you document how you reacted and why?

But it wasn't ALL my doing.ÂÂ  Sometimes people you work with have evil intentions.

Yep. "sometimes", yet you have encountered 10 years of them?

Sometimes your best efforts fail.ÂÂ  I have been trying to change my life for 10 years. I have gone to career counselors, tried to work with contacts, etc.ÂÂ  But sometimes it just doesn't work out.
ÂÂ  
You need to think about the above statement. Where do you think the problem lies? With all these other people you have worked with for the last 10 years? You are telling me that in 10 years you have not found a single person or job that you can work with/for? Strange, don't you think?

I'm almost 48 kiddo.ÂÂ  I'm fairly confident I'm a good deal older than you.ÂÂ  
ÂÂ  

Cheesy

When your dreams are shattered and you find yourself in a dead end job working in an oppressive atmosphere, tell me it's all about attitude.ÂÂ

No. It's all about you ACCEPTING and SETTLING for where you are. Sometimes, the truth is a rough. But it is still the truth.

« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 04:04:04 PM by TomS » Logged
YankeeLady

OC.net

« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2005, 04:13:10 PM »

I never said I haven't evaluated my life or my mistakes.

I've found lovely people in the places where I worked.  Even in the present situation.  Funny thing, they're always the ones without power.  Funny how it corrupts, isn't it?

I will never accept it.  I've tried.  But the human heart knows what it wants, and to tell it to give up on its dreams is to tell it to die.

You're a man.  You cannot understand a woman's heart.  Or her hopes and dreams.  You sir, are not a gentleman.  I'm leaving this board.  It's for little boys who like to give their opinions as if they really mattered.  Grow up!
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #20 on: June 13, 2005, 04:17:11 PM »

I think I see a pattern here  Grin
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #21 on: June 13, 2005, 04:23:46 PM »

YankeeLady,

TomS might be pushy but he is also your age.  At any rate, I don't think taking your anger at TomS out on the rest of the board (which is populated by people of all ages and both sexes) is fair. If TomS said something offensive, there is a post moderation button you can select to notify the administrators and we will investigate if forum rules have been broken.

Anastasios
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 04:26:49 PM by Anastasios » Logged

Please Buy My Book!

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodo
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #22 on: June 13, 2005, 04:38:46 PM »

Hasn't anyone else experienced a sense of evil in their workplace?  I worked one other place where this was so.  It affects everyone.  Something more is going on here than just personality conflicts.  I have to get out soon.  I needed to work someplace where my faith in humanity could be restored (or at least patched up).  This place isn't it.

Yea!!! I work in the political arena so I see evil everyday lol!! Grin  Sometimes I swear I'm dealing with demons themselves, otherwise known as politicians. I always get those two mixed up quite often, but sometimes I can't really tell the difference... Wink 
Thankfully, I'm quiting within a few weeks and moving out to Missouri. I'm just really bored with the job I have and tired of living in California  also. It will feel good to move back where my family is from and I currently have friends in Springfield. 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
YankeeLady

OC.net

« Reply #23 on: June 13, 2005, 04:43:20 PM »

Anastasios

I am not taking out my problems on TomS.  I object to his judging me without knowing ANYTHING about my life.  If I was in a bank and a bank robber walked in and shot me, would that be my fault?  Sometimes bad stuff just happens.  Good people and hard workers are discriminated against a lot.  From the OTHER posts, I'd say that statement has a fair amount of validity.  Does TomS know what it is to live in despair?  I doubt it.  Is he a Christian?  He certainly doesn't act like it. I'm surprised that if he is close to my age he has learned so little about the heartache in life.  I argued with NO ONE ELSE.  He was rude to me.  He should apologize.  Perhaps it's because I'm a woman, but I would never judge another person's struggles.  We can't know what someone else's limit is, not even people we're fairly well acquainted with.  The human heart has depths that most people don't bother to navigate.  Sometimes people are asked to bear more than they can.  Read the papers if you don't understand the tragedy of human existence.

I love being written off by an internet jerk who thinks his opinion is important.  I've had a really bad day.  In fact, a hellish couple of months at this new job.  Perhaps I should just ask someone for prayers, since I really didn't ask for advice.

TomS--beware of playing with people's feelings.  Some day you may push some hurting soul over the brink.  Live with that one, buddy!
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #24 on: June 13, 2005, 06:54:24 PM »

I applied for a bunch of jobs today so there's light at the end of the tunnel.  Just knowing there are options makes it possible for me to get up tomorrow and go to work. 

On a related note...does anyone here have a healthy 'orthodox' environment at work?  One thing I dislike about my job is that my co-workers are so secular.  They use the f word constantly.  The only thing that makes sense to them is making money. 

idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #25 on: June 13, 2005, 07:05:46 PM »

Augustine, it sounds like you and I have similar work environments.....I work 3rd shift stocking shelves at a grocery store.....

The job I have now is very similar to the military (well....at least the Navy) insofar as if you were to do everything CORRECTLY, it would take 2 people about 10 hours to do what in your "manager's theory on paper" takes 1 person to do in 3 hours. ÂÂ If you were to do everything the way you're supposed to do it, we would all be there 24/7. ÂÂ  So, needless to say, (just like in the Navy) everyone sort of treats the job as their daily 8-hour joke (one which isn't even funny though) and goes home......well, except that in the Navy it was their 24/7-for-4-years joke.

The bad thing about all this is that how am I supposed to do "my work as if working unto the Lord" when doing so would basically cause me to get fired?  To "work unto the Lord" would require doing everything.....[gasp]correctly[/gasp].  And to work "correctly" would cause me to never get my job done, which would cause me to get fired.  So what gives?

idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #26 on: June 13, 2005, 07:20:17 PM »

by the way, TomS:

I bet you're the type who sits around and complains how lazy African-Americans are as you sit there and wallow in the material fruits brought to you by your fancy 18-year education paid for, at no inconvenience to you, by your rich lawyer-daddy

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2005, 07:36:11 PM »

by the way, TomS:

I bet you're the type who sits around and complains how lazy African-Americans are as you sit there and wallow in the material fruits brought to you by your fancy 18-year education paid for, at no inconvenience to you, by your rich lawyer-daddy

How did you know?ÂÂ  Cheesy

And here is quick synopsis of just HOW I was handed everything on a silver platter --

1) I dropped out of high school (1974) with a GPA of 1.8
2) After 2 years, I went to night school and received my HS diploma (1976) (PROACTIVE!!!)
3) I went to work as a delivery boy for a law firm in DC (1977-1978)
4) I went to a community college for 1 year (1979) and PAID for it MYSELF (PROACTIVE!!!)
4) I dropped out of college and got married (1980)
5) I decided that since I was married I now needed to get a career.
6) Got the Sunday paper and went through the want ads (PROACTIVE!!!)
7) The only career I could find that paid decent money and did not require a college degree was computer programmer (at least in 1980)
 Went to the library and got a book on Fortran and started to TEACH MYSELF how to program (PROACTIVE!!!)
9) Started taking NIGHT CLASSES at the community college in other programming languages (PROACTIVE!!!)
10) After 6 months started sending out resumes - got NO INTERVIEWS or INTEREST because of my lack of experience
11) So, instead of just GIVING UP and BLAMING everyone else I figured I had to FIND ANOTHER WAY (PROACTIVE!!!) to get to the employers
12) Started attending computer User's Groups in the area and befriending other programmers (PROACTIVE!!!)
13) After 6 months, due to my attending and befriending other programmers, got an entry level position as a computer programmer (1981)
14) Because I had no COLLEGE TRAINING, I worked VERY LONG hours and then brought code listings home at night to study further (PROACTIVE!!!) Why? because your INCOME is a DIRECT INDICATION of your VALUE in the MARKETPLACE!!
15) Worked my way up to Project Lead based upon my HARD WORK - NOT MY COLLEGE TRAINING!!! (1983)
16) IBM PC started to be a viable development platform (1983). Started to search out part time development work for the PC platform (PROACTIVE!!!)
17) My first child is born! (June 1984)
18) Six WEEKS later, I quit my job and started my OWN COMPANY (August 1984) (PROACTIVE!!!)
19) Started taking night classes (again) toward completing a College Degree (PROACTIVE!!!)
20) Started listening to success and business tapes via Nightingale-Conant and American Management Association (PROACTIVE!!!)
21) Computer Networks started to become popular - borrowed money and expanded the business to seel computers and install/support networks (PROACTIVE!!!)
22) Heard of a need for a system to track court defendants prior to trial
23) Contacted a few courts and defined the need (PROACTIVE!!!)
24) Developed a prototype of the system and offered to sponser a meeting of East Coast court representatives (PROACTIVE!!!)
25) Demoed the system and recieved contracts to develop the system in different courts
26) Eventually sold the system into 60 counties across the US
27) Defined a need for a system that processed drug test results from Lab Analyzers
28) Developed a prototype and demoed it to a major international manufacturer of Drug Test Analyzers (PROACTIVE!!!)
29) My second child was born! (1987)
29) The manufacturer licensed the system from me
30) Performed market research, defined the need, developed prototypes and eventually defined and licensed 2 other systems to national companies (PROACTIVE!!!)
31) FINISHED MY BACHELORS DEGREE (1997) 18 YEARS after starting college!!! (PROCATIVE and DETERMINED!!!)
32) Because I confused my priorities and concentrated primarily on work at the expense of family - my wife divorced me (1997)(BAD!!)
33) Lived in funk and depression for a year because I realized what I had sacrificed (1998)
34) My father was diagnosed with cancer - I moved back into my parents house and took care of him until he died
35) Started to recover and met my wife to-be (1999)
36) Climbed out of the devastation and started to rebuild (PROACTIVE!!!)
37) Searched for more opportunities and developed another system to license (PROACTIVE!!!)
38) Got married (2002)
39) Mother is diagnosed with Alzheimers - researched and helped move her into an assisted living facility
40) My new son Nicholas is born! (2005)
41) My mother no longer knows me
42) LIFE IS WHAT YOU MAKE OF IT!!
43) HAPINESS IS NOT JUST SOMETHING THAT HAPPENS - IT HAS TO BE CREATED EVERY DAY!
44) Writing this history so that I can tell you people who think I am just some loudmouth who does not know what I am talking about to BITE ME!!!
45) So, BITE ME!!!

Wink
« Last Edit: June 13, 2005, 09:02:55 PM by TomS » Logged
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #28 on: June 14, 2005, 02:16:28 AM »

I give TomS a lot of credit! I admire folks like him. he took a seed and make it into a forest.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #29 on: June 14, 2005, 02:22:54 AM »

44) Writing this history so that I can tell you people who think I am just some loudmouth who does not know what I am talking about to BITE ME!!!
45) So, BITE ME!!!

Wink

TomS,
Even though you've pulled yourself up by the bootstraps so to speak, you could be a little nice about it.  Also, with man things are impossible, but with God all things are possible. 
prodromos
OC.net guru

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #30 on: June 14, 2005, 08:25:12 AM »

Even though you've pulled yourself up by the bootstraps so to speak, you could be a little nice about it.

My dear Elisha, he WAS being nice. I certainly would have had a hard time responding as nicely!

John
TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #31 on: June 14, 2005, 08:34:16 AM »

Even though you've pulled yourself up by the bootstraps so to speak, you could be a little nice about it.

That's why I put a WINK at the end of saying it! Geez!
ania
OC.net guru

« Reply #32 on: June 14, 2005, 09:42:44 AM »

I applied for a bunch of jobs today so there's light at the end of the tunnel.  Just knowing there are options makes it possible for me to get up tomorrow and go to work. 

On a related note...does anyone here have a healthy 'orthodox' environment at work?  One thing I dislike about my job is that my co-workers are so secular.  They use the f word constantly.  The only thing that makes sense to them is making money. 

I have an unhealthy Orthodox environment (boss is Ortho but does stuff that are completely not).   Roll Eyes

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: June 14, 2005, 11:41:58 AM »

That's why I put a WINK at the end of saying it! Geez!

You definitely could use more practice being nice though...and not condemning your own faith as well.
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #34 on: June 14, 2005, 06:38:32 PM »

I just knew....I just knew right after writing what I wrote you were going to respond with some self-righteous list of all the things YOU have done (without God's grace, of course)......you are so predictable

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #35 on: June 14, 2005, 07:20:18 PM »

I just knew....I just knew right after writing what I wrote you were going to respond with some self-righteous list of all the things YOU have done (without God's grace, of course)......you are so predictable

Well, that's how I would expect loser's to interpret it. Winners, on the other hand, would see it as simply reinforcement to the idea that we get out of life what we put into it.

Still, what I wrote is the truth. And it goes against everything that you said I was.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 07:21:36 PM by TomS » Logged
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #36 on: June 14, 2005, 07:33:47 PM »

Ridiculously evil post removed.
 You have received a suspension from the forum for your evil desire that Tom burn in hell and for insulting his wife who is not even a member of this forum.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 08:26:11 PM by Anastasios » Logged

TomS
Banned
Archon

« Reply #37 on: June 14, 2005, 08:56:01 PM »

oh my!  ÃƒÆ’‚ Shocked

I just might burn in Hell - but my wife, now that woman is a saint!

I mean, dude, you accused me of being something I was not. So I posted something to show that I did not have the assistance that you said I did, and then you accuse me of being SELF-RIGHTEOUS.

I don't quite get it.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2005, 09:11:27 PM by TomS » Logged
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #38 on: June 14, 2005, 11:17:26 PM »

OH MY FRIGGIN' GOSH.

Ya' go away for a day and a half and it all goes to hell!  Angry Angry Angry

SOOO locked.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: