Author Topic: What to do when popular Orthodox blog never sends things you ordered...  (Read 2018 times)

Offline ShayneSwenson

• Blog about Orthodoxy and Catholicism
...and when you contact them, they give you the run around. If I named the blog/website, you would all know the site I am referring to, so lets keep them anonymous, as I have no interest in shaming them publicly. I am becoming good friends with one of the guys, but he has no control over their sales. The other gentleman is polite enough, and I'm sure he means well, but I am having a moral conundrum as I'm not sure what the right thing to do is. I want to exercise humility and just say it will "get here when it gets here", however I placed my order now 2 months ago, and I have repeatedly asked him to give me a straight answer as to when he is going to send my items. They encountered a problem with their online store, so I understand some delay, however I'm not sure how to go ahead as I was told my package will "ship this week", and that was 20 days ago. There have been several back and forth emails, with an apologetic tone, and no follow through. If it is going to take 6 months, than that's fine, just quit telling me one thing, and then not doing it.  I'm just really conflicted as to what to do. The self-righteous side of me wants to report them to their webstore provider, and to seek a refund due to the lack of follow through on his part, and for the simple fact that this reflects poorly on the credibility of his website. However the other, understanding, albeit small side of me wants to quietly let this go, and if they ever decide to honor my purchase, so be it. I feel like I have given them plenty of time to shoot me straight with a time frame, or honor my transaction. How would you react? Especially because these guys are Orthodox and a small operation, I want to exercise grace, as God knows I have been flaky in my life at times. On the other hand I paid him my hard earned money for a product that was in stock at the time, and now is not, and I can't help that as more time passes, I get more and more pissed off. I would like any of your honest input as to how to go about dealing with this delicate situation, as I will be visiting the person in questions parish this summer, and I want to rectify this situation in the most responsible, charitable way, so as to avoid any hurt feelings, or awkward encounters.
I also make Tattoos for a living
http://instagram.com/shayneswenson

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
I've been waiting two months for a book from a different Eastern Orthodox seller, so maybe it's just the Orthodox way. ;)
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
I've been waiting two months for a book from a different Eastern Orthodox seller, so maybe it's just the Orthodox way. ;)

Nah. The Orthodox Way (by Metropolitan Kallistos {Timothy} Ware) is on backorder and won't be available for at least another month.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
Oh very funny.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox

Nah. The Orthodox Way (by Metropolitan Kallistos {Timothy} Ware) is on backorder and won't be available for at least another month.

The rare first edition, of course, which omits the ambiguous promotion of demonic female ordination.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy

The rare first edition, of course, which omits the ambiguous promotion of demonic female ordination.
Ah, you're thinking of The Orthodox Church, originally published before Met Kallistos became the mouthpiece for all heretical ecumenicism. Easy mistake to make. That one will take at least a year.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
...and when you contact them, they give you the run around. If I named the blog/website, you would all know the site I am referring to, so lets keep them anonymous, as I have no interest in shaming them publicly. I am becoming good friends with one of the guys, but he has no control over their sales. The other gentleman is polite enough, and I'm sure he means well, but I am having a moral conundrum as I'm not sure what the right thing to do is. I want to exercise humility and just say it will "get here when it gets here", however I placed my order now 2 months ago, and I have repeatedly asked him to give me a straight answer as to when he is going to send my items. They encountered a problem with their online store, so I understand some delay, however I'm not sure how to go ahead as I was told my package will "ship this week", and that was 20 days ago. There have been several back and forth emails, with an apologetic tone, and no follow through. If it is going to take 6 months, than that's fine, just quit telling me one thing, and then not doing it.  I'm just really conflicted as to what to do. The self-righteous side of me wants to report them to their webstore provider, and to seek a refund due to the lack of follow through on his part, and for the simple fact that this reflects poorly on the credibility of his website. However the other, understanding, albeit small side of me wants to quietly let this go, and if they ever decide to honor my purchase, so be it. I feel like I have given them plenty of time to shoot me straight with a time frame, or honor my transaction. How would you react? Especially because these guys are Orthodox and a small operation, I want to exercise grace, as God knows I have been flaky in my life at times. On the other hand I paid him my hard earned money for a product that was in stock at the time, and now is not, and I can't help that as more time passes, I get more and more pissed off. I would like any of your honest input as to how to go about dealing with this delicate situation, as I will be visiting the person in questions parish this summer, and I want to rectify this situation in the most responsible, charitable way, so as to avoid any hurt feelings, or awkward encounters.

I have been waiting for a book for over two years from a blogger...

Offline lovesupreme

• OC.net guru
To answer the OP, I would just let things go. It sounds like they aren't maliciously trying to stop your shipment. You'll probably get it eventually and you will thank yourself for not expending the emotional energy in the interim.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
Death to Your Order.
Apparently, can smart . . has brain.

Yes, I do real Theology

I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

Offline ShayneSwenson

To answer the OP, I would just let things go. It sounds like they aren't maliciously trying to stop your shipment. You'll probably get it eventually and you will thank yourself for not expending the emotional energy in the interim.

Bingo. I know that's the right way to deal with it. It's been eating at me though, and writing this post helped me anonymously bust them out for being flaky, and giving me the run-around. A sort of cyber-sale catharsis. If I ever get it, great. If not, it was a good lesson on submission and a way to crush my pride. I know I won't be going to that blog anymore, nor will I be purchasing anything, no matter how cool the designs might be.

Offline ShayneSwenson

Re: What to do when popular Orthodox blog never sends things you ordered...
« Reply #10 on: March 02, 2015, 01:13:05 AM »
Death to Your Order.

Guess so. Death to their Credibility too. Bummer. Apparently I am not the only person this has happened to. I am considering sending one last polite, albeit honest email regarding how this reflects upon the blog as a whole, and then just letting them keep my cash, and walking away from the situation. Sorry if I sounded rude, or gossipy in any way. Not my intention. The grinding away at my pride and self-righteousness sometimes makes me say things I regret. I just wasn't sure if I was wrong for feeling angry about this.

Offline ShayneSwenson

« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2015, 01:43:10 AM »
So I sent an email saying they can keep my cash as a donation, and to work on communication with people they do business with. Wasn't rude, but I needed to do that or I would continue to irrationally think about how they "got one over on me", though I know that is probably the furthest thing from his mind. The problem is with me, and my idea of what I "deserve", and the lame consumer attitude I am trying to destroy in myself. I need humility.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2015, 02:00:42 AM »
Good for you. I don't think it would be wrong to let others know about your experience tho. My guess is these chaps get in over their heads financially, don't have what they offer, and cowardly try not to let on. Totally a guess.

Offline ShayneSwenson

« Reply #13 on: March 05, 2015, 01:50:41 PM »
Guess what arrived in the mail yesterday. I knew the minute I made a fool out of myself and public ally complained, I would be made to look like a demanding American idiot. Another example of the slow erosion of my over inflated ego. Lord have mercy on me.

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #14 on: March 05, 2015, 03:38:13 PM »
Guess what arrived in the mail yesterday. I knew the minute I made a fool out of myself and public ally complained, I would be made to look like a demanding American idiot. Another example of the slow erosion of my over inflated ego. Lord have mercy on me.

You're basically saying the same thing about everyone who agreed with your decision or encouraged you towards that end. I guess most of us already know we have inflated egos though, so your insult doesn't cause much of a sting. As for "idiot"... well, maybe we should quit while you're only 6 feet deep, eh?  :P

Offline ShayneSwenson

« Reply #15 on: March 05, 2015, 05:12:13 PM »

You're basically saying the same thing about everyone who agreed with your decision or encouraged you towards that end. I guess most of us already know we have inflated egos though, so your insult doesn't cause much of a sting. As for "idiot"... well, maybe we should quit while you're only 6 feet deep, eh?  :P
If you would like, I can message you my number, and you can explain your grievances with me in a more appropriate way. If I have offended you Justin, I apologize. I have a tendency to be a smart a**, and I'm sure I annoy you. That being said, following after me and posting snarky comments to tick me off is cowardly. Lets handle this like a man would, and not an internet tough guy. I'm not threatening you, and I'm not looking for conflict. I would however like to continue participating here without your priceless commentary. I understand you have alot of posts. I see that you have alot of "combat experience" here, and I also see that this forum is a large piece of your life. That's cool. I hope you don't feel threatened by my presence here, and I hope you don't think I will ever have as many posts as you. I have a family, as well as a career, and I don't have enough time to constantly be posting random threads and commenting about every little thing. That being said, I do occasionally enjoy reading certain areas of this forum, and I would love it if we could both stay out of each others way. So if you feel the need to "tell me a thing or two", or if you want to let me know your complaints regarding my existence, you can continue to follow after me and spit virtual spit wads at my contributions to this awesome forum, or you can redeem yourself and contact me personally so that we can discuss this in a way that reflects more accurately upon our reproductive apparatus. Message me, and I will be glad to send you my Skype name, as well as my number. Again, this is not a threat, nor am I sowing dischord. I just deal with things head on, and I don't have any patience for frivolity. Lets deal with this privately, and like men. Take care, and I hope you find some semblance of happiness. God Bless.

Profanity removed from above  -PtA
« Last Edit: March 06, 2015, 11:53:16 PM by PeterTheAleut »

Offline ShayneSwenson

« Reply #16 on: March 05, 2015, 05:21:33 PM »
check your inbox Justin, and let me know when you have a couple free minutes. Thanks

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to FOCOF
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2015, 08:54:17 PM »
Feces just got real up in here...
Apparently, can smart . . has brain.

Yes, I do real Theology

I am the Antichrist LOL just kidding

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2015, 09:40:05 PM »
I'm glad it finally came. I always order Orthodox books online and they take a while to arrive too :)
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2015, 10:23:08 PM »

It's a process.  Depending on what you are ordering and from where it comes, things can take time (overseas can be slow). 

Also, just think how fortunate you are to have things available.  Americans who converted even 50 years ago only had one or two small books available in English.  So it's encouraging that there is even stuff to order, but it's not Amazon or Zappos. 

If it's any consolation, I got impatient about a prayer book order once, and called the publisher not knowing the publisher was a priest just doing his best.  He was very nice on the phone, and I still didn't know I was talking with a priest. 

I mentioned that I had phoned to the person I ordered through, and that person was not too happy I stepped around them to inquire about the order.  I should have been patient and not bothered a priest.   

I felt bad that I had upset at least one, possibly two people.  All I could do is ask forgiveness and hope the priest would look on the bright side that there are actually people out there who are so excited about prayer that they can't hang on a second for a new prayer book.   :)

A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Censer-following zapivka-dipper
« Reply #20 on: March 06, 2015, 04:52:24 AM »
What a shame.  It's good that you received what you ordered.  I haven't had any bad luck with Orthodox online stores, but I have never bought anything from a blogger. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #21 on: March 07, 2015, 04:04:21 AM »
Fr. Gregory or St. John of Kronstadt Press ships very fast and is extremely nice.  So too is the Church of the Nativity.   Generally I use Amazon but since the advent of the iPad I dislike dead trees, so where something is in the public domain or an Ebook can be acquired I go that route.

Also, monasteries are extremely reliable in my experience when it comes to shipping.  So I wouldn't buy a book online froma blogger if it were on offer from a monastery.  And if the blogger is taking too long it's not unreasonable to politely ask that they ship it by X, and to get more firm if there's a problem.  I mean you did pay for a book, not make a donation.  But if the blog is the only source of the book, well, Lent is the season in which we cultivate patience among other crops.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!