Author Topic: The Dress!  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
The Dress!
« on: February 27, 2015, 11:57:45 AM »
This is not a thread to talk about the dress and what colors it is.
This is not a thread to complain about how everyone is talking about the dress.
This is a thread for everyone to complain about everyone complaining about everyone talking about that dress.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
Re: The Dress!
« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2015, 12:03:11 PM »
Don't they have anything else to complain about?
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline TITL

• Faith: Oriental Orthodox
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 12:04:47 PM »
Hahaha! This made my day :p

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 12:11:49 PM »
What dress??

Lady Gaga's meat dress?  :laugh:
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:14:07 PM by truth_seeker »

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 12:29:52 PM »
Oops, just learned about The Dress. What a perfect way to distract the public while real crises are happening around the world. ::facepalm::

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 12:31:55 PM »
This is not a thread to talk about the dress and what colors it is.
This is not a thread to complain about how everyone is talking about the dress.
This is a thread for everyone to complain about everyone complaining about everyone talking about that dress.

So what colors did you see?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #6 on: February 27, 2015, 12:35:44 PM »
White and vomit. LOL

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #7 on: February 27, 2015, 12:40:44 PM »
Oops, just learned about The Dress. What a perfect way to distract the public while real crises are happening around the world. ::facepalm::

First things like this are not some deliberate attempt to distract.  "The Dress" is not some false flag operation. Second the general public can't do squat about most of the crises in the world, some distraction isn't a bad thing to keep people from going insane over tragedies they have very little if any control over.  Finally if the people who can actually effect change are so distracted by this that they cease working we have bigger problems than I thought.

As an aside the discussion has actually gotten the attention of scientists which is kind of cool.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #8 on: February 27, 2015, 12:46:54 PM »

First things like this are not some deliberate attempt to distract.  "The Dress" is not some false flag operation. Second the general public can't do squat about most of the crises in the world, some distraction isn't a bad thing to keep people from going insane over tragedies they have very little if any control over.  Finally if the people who can actually effect change are so distracted by this that they cease working we have bigger problems than I thought.

As an aside the discussion has actually gotten the attention of scientists which is kind of cool.

Thank you! People need to lighten up.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline primuspilus

• Taxiarches
  • Inserting personal quote here.
    • St. Gregory the Theologian Orthodox Church
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox (former WR)
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Boston
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2015, 12:48:25 PM »
Open Photoshop, open the dress file. Select eyedropper. Window -> Info. Argument over.

PP
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 12:48:34 PM by primuspilus »
"I confidently affirm that whoever calls himself Universal Bishop is the precursor of Antichrist"
Gregory the Great

"Never, never, never let anyone tell you that, in order to be Orthodox, you must also be eastern." St. John Maximovitch, The Wonderworker

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Such times are rare, such times are fleeting
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #10 on: February 27, 2015, 12:54:30 PM »

The science behind the hoopla is here (box beneath the photos).

In the original photo (the close-up), I can definitely see how the lace trim could be mistaken for gold, but no way the main colour could be taken for white.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Elisha

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #11 on: February 27, 2015, 01:03:11 PM »

Thank you! People need to lighten up.

A friend of mine made a FB post this morning:

"So many friendships and relationships destroyed....
Over a dress."

It was of course a bit tongue in cheek, but nonetheless...

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #12 on: February 27, 2015, 01:27:24 PM »
Just learned about the viral here.

To those who don't know what it is about, here's the summary:

Colours of two-tone dress have become a topic of debate on social media
Some viewers see the bodycon dress as white with gold lace detailing
Others see royal blue with black while a few insist the colours change
It became internet sensation and was tweeted by stars like Kim Kardashian
She sees white and gold, while husband Kanye West sees black and blue
#TheDress started trending worldwide on Twitter as discussion went global
Dress, made by Roman Originals, appears to actually be black and blue
Picture was first posted on Tumblr by Caitlin McNeill, 21, from Scotland
Uploaded it after noticing friends saw different colours in the photograph

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2972286/The-dress-divided-internet-blue-black.html#ixzz3Sy1HSmn7

And the dress. Some see white-gold, some blue-black.

The real dress is blue and black. What I see is a blueish-white and gold dress, but the question is ill formulated.

The real question should be: "what is the color of the photo of the dress?" since it's no news that illunination can change how we see the color of things. I saw some pixel analysis and the colors that come up are indeed blueish-white  and kind of yellowish-brown (I'm sure color-artistic people have proper names for those).

« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 01:30:36 PM by Fabio Leite »
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #13 on: February 27, 2015, 03:47:48 PM »

FALSE.

ISIS planted this dress in an effort to get senior US government officials to spend all day today arguing about the dress while they reposition their forces to stage an attack on Rome.
God bless!

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: February 27, 2015, 03:56:16 PM »
When I first look at it, it's blue and black but after a while I see it white and golden...
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline Velsigne

• OC.net guru
« Reply #15 on: February 27, 2015, 04:25:49 PM »
Just learned about the viral here.

To those who don't know what it is about, here's the summary:

Colours of two-tone dress have become a topic of debate on social media
Some viewers see the bodycon dress as white with gold lace detailing
Others see royal blue with black while a few insist the colours change
It became internet sensation and was tweeted by stars like Kim Kardashian
She sees white and gold, while husband Kanye West sees black and blue
#TheDress started trending worldwide on Twitter as discussion went global
Dress, made by Roman Originals, appears to actually be black and blue
Picture was first posted on Tumblr by Caitlin McNeill, 21, from Scotland
Uploaded it after noticing friends saw different colours in the photograph

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2972286/The-dress-divided-internet-blue-black.html#ixzz3Sy1HSmn7

And the dress. Some see white-gold, some blue-black.

The real dress is blue and black. What I see is a blueish-white and gold dress, but the question is ill formulated.

The real question should be: "what is the color of the photo of the dress?" since it's no news that illunination can change how we see the color of things. I saw some pixel analysis and the colors that come up are indeed blueish-white  and kind of yellowish-brown (I'm sure color-artistic people have proper names for those).

It's blue and orangey-brown

The Science of Why No One Agrees on the Color of This Dress
A nation is not conquered until the hearts of its women are on the ground.

Then it is done, no matter how brave its warriors nor how strong their weapons -- Cheyenne proverb

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #16 on: February 27, 2015, 04:35:36 PM »
I have only been able to see it as black and blue. Even when nerdy sciencey type people mess with the brightness and the contrast and everything else to show how people can see it from two difference perspectives, I still just see blue and black. Maybe some day, I will have the beautific vision and see the white and gold, but for now, I will content myself with the bewilderment of the controversy.
God bless!

Offline Joha

• High Elder
  • Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #17 on: February 27, 2015, 04:46:22 PM »
Why the fiets am I even reading this...
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
Psalm 57:2 I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me.
You're big :P
The art of cherry picking

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #18 on: February 27, 2015, 04:46:51 PM »
I have only been able to see it as black and blue. Even when nerdy sciencey type people mess with the brightness and the contrast and everything else to show how people can see it from two difference perspectives, I still just see blue and black. Maybe some day, I will have the beautific vision and see the white and gold, but for now, I will content myself with the bewilderment of the controversy.

What do you see in the squares? I see light blueish-purple and dark baby-poo-brownish.

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
« Reply #19 on: February 27, 2015, 04:54:17 PM »
This is actually from a psychology experiment from 2003 performed by Professor Fleischblicker and his colleagues on 666 university students from the college of St. Guinefort on the subject of subliminal messaging.  If you look closely at the left cowl you can see an imprinted phallus.  You have to look a long time to see it, but it's really there.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:54:36 PM by vamrat »
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #20 on: February 27, 2015, 04:58:00 PM »

What do you see in the squares? I see light blueish-purple and dark baby-poo-brownish.
That is what I see in the squares, but if you look at any object that is black, if you were to extract the colors out of a photo of it, you would not see black, you would see various shades of gray, tan and brown. If you look at paintings, artists do not use black to depict black objects, they use shades of grey, tan and brown.
God bless!

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #21 on: February 27, 2015, 06:05:17 PM »

That's almost all I saw at first, though I guess I do have a lot of sciency pages I follow on places like facebook (and which I interact with, which I think impacts how much you see their content in your feed, at least on facebook? Anyway...)  I didn't see much of the arguing over it or debating, but then all of a sudden people/'friends' were complaining about the strange reaction of other people and so much time being spent on it. *shrugs* I just thought I'd get in on the act  :P  ;D

Gold and white... I'm not crazy ya know   8)

EDIT--the new angel emoticon sucks
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 06:07:30 PM by Justin Kissel »

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #22 on: February 27, 2015, 06:06:55 PM »

LOL.

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
« Reply #23 on: February 27, 2015, 06:25:29 PM »
What dress??

Lady Gaga's meat dress?  :laugh:

Which wasn't very original btw.

I ticked off a lot of my female friends when I brought it to their attention that the girls on America's Next Top Model wore meat dresses for a photo shoot in a meat factory once, about 2 years before Lady Gaga pulled that stunt.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #24 on: February 27, 2015, 09:30:14 PM »

That's almost all I saw at first, though I guess I do have a lot of sciency pages I follow on places like facebook (and which I interact with, which I think impacts how much you see their content in your feed, at least on facebook? Anyway...)  I didn't see much of the arguing over it or debating, but then all of a sudden people/'friends' were complaining about the strange reaction of other people and so much time being spent on it. *shrugs* I just thought I'd get in on the act  :P  ;D

lol, I woke up to my radio alarm and on the radio they were talking about the dress that changed colors. I didn't think anything about it until I logged onto facebook and the first 4 posts were in relation to the dress. It was then that I realized that it was just going to be one of those days...
God bless!

Offline Joha

• High Elder
  • Κύριε, σῶσόν με! Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2015, 04:41:18 AM »

LOL.

I thought you would notice that   :o
Philippians 1:6 Being confident of this very thing, that he which hath begun a good work in you will perform it until the day of Jesus Christ
Psalm 57:2 I will cry out to God Most High, To God who performs all things for me.
You're big :P
The art of cherry picking

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #26 on: February 28, 2015, 04:52:54 AM »

lol, I woke up to my radio alarm and on the radio they were talking about the dress that changed colors. I didn't think anything about it until I logged onto facebook and the first 4 posts were in relation to the dress. It was then that I realized that it was just going to be one of those days...

Alarm. Radio alarm. Talk radio alarm. Facebook.

Didn't think it could get worse. Sorry man.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #27 on: February 28, 2015, 06:20:56 AM »
I saw red and pink after I blew my brains out.  Then black.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline homedad76

• High Elder
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2015, 12:38:03 PM »
The difference has to do with lack of context.  Those who see blue and black (the actual color of the dress in person) look at it as if it were in a store or in a catalog.  Those who see white (or blueish white)and gold look at it as being outside in natural sunlight and so their brain filters out the blue thinking it is just a shadow.  If you get too focused on the very limited context around the dress it looks washed out due to the very bright light in the background.  This looks like natural light to some people (it looks to me like a photograph taken in too much sunlight) while others don't see it that way.
"However hard I try, I find it impossible to construct anything greater than these three words, 'Love one another' —only to the end, and without exceptions: then all is justified and life is illumined, whereas otherwise it is an abomination and a burden."

—Mother Maria of Paris

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #29 on: February 28, 2015, 07:11:48 PM »

Alarm. Radio alarm. Talk radio alarm. Facebook.

Didn't think it could get worse. Sorry man.
Actually, it was NPR. Usually they have interesting stories, but even they were sucked in by dress talk.
God bless!