Author Topic: Spinoza's God  (Read 501 times)

Offline Niko92

Spinoza's God
« on: February 26, 2015, 01:57:11 AM »
Hi All,

Just finished reading up on Spinoza's God which Einstein seemed quite fond of too.

I just had a simple question in regards to your guys view of the way he looked at God and where he is differing from the view of Orthodox Christianity.

All answers all welcome would love to hear them all!

Nik

Offline Luke

• Formerly Gamliel
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of San Francisco
Re: Spinoza's God
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 02:13:00 AM »
I have not read Spinoza, but recently I read a  quick line that Spinoza considered God to be impersonal.  Is that true?

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2015, 02:31:06 AM »
Spinoza's God has as much to do with the God of odoxy as my socks do.

Niko, I am a little unclear are you xian? Cause if so, it should be clear that Spinoza isn't talking about something like the trinity. Haven't read him in a while although I getting ready to read him again though.

Offline Niko92

« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2015, 03:03:43 AM »
Thanks for that guys.

Yes Orthonorm i am but absolutely clueless about it !!

Just wanted peoples views on his view of God that was all. Apologies if it is naive of me.

Offline Niko92

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2015, 03:10:39 AM »
Sorry Gamliel, something like that yes.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #5 on: February 26, 2015, 03:18:28 AM »
Niko, have you read Spinoza? Or just about his thought? The first section or so of his Ethics should make clear what his god isn't, if not what it is.

Being clear on what Spinoza's god isn't is fairly easy, figuring out what it is isn't.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: February 26, 2015, 03:42:50 AM »
I have a good friend who admires Spinoza very much. A good friend who later converted to Gnosticism, I should add. At any rate, you ought always to do a great thinker the credit to read his own works. Secondary sources are probably okay to give a large overview of multiple sources, but secondary sources also warp primary sources, often badly (and often, the academy being a fitful mistress, even purposely so).
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Niko92

« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2015, 05:02:52 AM »
I've read a fair bit about him and his views I think however you said it well when you said it's hard to figure out what his God is.

I think that's more of what I was getting at.

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2015, 05:35:25 AM »
I have a good friend who admires Spinoza very much. A good friend who later converted to Gnosticism, I should add. At any rate, you ought always to do a great thinker the credit to read his own works. Secondary sources are probably okay to give a large overview of multiple sources, but secondary sources also warp primary sources, often badly (and often, the academy being a fitful mistress, even purposely so).

What Gnostic group does he belong to?  I live not far from the Ecclesia Gnoatica which is run by the rather affable Bishop Hoeller.  I've never been of course and am opposed to Gnostics but Hoeller seems a nice chap and also has one of the most impressive credentials of an Episcopi vagante in terms of multiple lines of apostolic succession, and in his lineage is closely connected with the highly respectable and devout British Orthodox Metropolitan Seraphim of Glastonbury (Imbelieve he was ordained by a man ordained by the father or brother of Seraphim before Seraphim was received into the Coptic church, a man who was connected with the Society of Corporate Reunion, which hoped to join the Church of England to Rome by collecting as many distinct lines of apostolic succession as possible or something like that).
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!