Author Topic: Correct understanding of Matthew 11:23  (Read 295 times)

Offline mikeforjesus

• Archon
Correct understanding of Matthew 11:23
« on: February 18, 2015, 09:27:31 AM »
Matthew 11:23 And you, Capernaum, who are exalted to heaven, will be[a] brought down to Hades; for if the mighty works which were done in you had been done in Sodom, it would have remained until this day.

This verse means Capernaum is worse than Sodom
You may ask why did Sodom not have those signs if they would have repented ,  did God give more chances to Jerusalem ?  God gave those signs to Jerusalem to demonstrate Sodom is better than Jerusalem
The signs do not help save people but those who respond to them are those who would have been saved without the signs. Note the rich Man asked for Lazarus to rise and preach to his brothers and Jesus says they don't need the signs

They may add relief as one of the blessings of the messiah but God knows who don't want doubts and who are seekers and who despise God and don't want to repent
Sodom would have repented only because they don't want to be destroyed and only would have regret but true repentance is to hate the things God hates
the messiah was a blessing only to His true people which is one reason He came. The psalm says He shall come down as water..
This interpretation of mine disqualifies universal salvation as a possibility

As my dad says the ashes of Sodom still burn today
I refuse to use Protestant material anymore because it makes Protestants puffed up that we need them late have I realised this error of mine
I only used Protestant material to see if the ashes of Sodom still burn
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 09:46:23 AM by mikeforjesus »

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: Correct understanding of Matthew 11:23
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 01:38:45 PM »
This speech of our Lord's was a castigation of those Jews who thought themselves holy. By making a shocking contrast between their cities and that city proverbially the worst in history -- and making the contrast in Sodom's favor -- our Lord was sure to have the attention of his audience. The lesson for us is to judge ourselves worse than those who we like to think are the greatest sinners. To cry out, Lord, have mercy on me the sinner, instead of spending our energies on the problems of others.
« Last Edit: February 18, 2015, 01:39:29 PM by Porter ODoran »
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy