Author Topic: New research suggests best strategies are selfish ones  (Read 449 times)

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
New research suggests best strategies are selfish ones
« on: February 18, 2015, 02:44:36 AM »
https://www.quantamagazine.org/20150212-game-theory-calls-cooperation-into-question/

new solution to a famous, decades-old game theory scenario called the prisoner’s dilemma, in which players must decide whether to cheat or cooperate with a partner
new solution to the problem, however, threw that rosy perspective into question. It suggested the best strategies were selfish ones that led to extortion, not cooperation.
the outcome troubled him. Nature includes numerous examples of cooperative behavior. For example, vampire bats donate some of their blood meal to community members that fail to find prey. Some species of birds and social insects routinely help raise another’s brood. Even bacteria can cooperate, sticking to each other so that some may survive poison. If extortion reigns, what drives these and other acts of selflessness?
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
Re: New research suggests best strategies are selfish ones
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 03:22:04 AM »
"New research" that's as old as the Fall. The Evil One never tires.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline vamrat

• Vamratoraptor
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Serbian Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of New Gracanica
Re: New research suggests best strategies are selfish ones
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2015, 02:28:29 PM »
The Prisoner's Dilemma is typically one vs one.  Pit both prisoners against an outside force (such as the test giver) and make it so that both go free if they don't stab each other in the back and I think you will see a different result.  This is how communities work.  Many tasks require more effort than one person can put in, but the gains are large enough that all inputters can profit.  This is where cooperation comes in.  At some level, it is still 'selfish' as in 'I will do X so that I may survive', with the helping of others being a nice byproduct.
Das ist des Jägers Ehrenschild, daß er beschützt und hegt sein Wild, weidmännisch jagt, wie sich’s gehört, den Schöpfer im Geschöpfe ehrt.