Author Topic: Co-worker's grandson was hit on bicycle last night  (Read 2474 times)

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
Co-worker's grandson was hit on bicycle last night
« on: February 17, 2015, 04:38:36 PM »
This is what we know, I think he is about 16:
Update on Joey this morning.... This morning had head cat scan to compare to last nights. Dr__ came in and said we will go to OR as soon as we have clearance from neuro. Anxiously waiting on Dr __ to come and give us some good neurological news! Joey is moving his left eye and pupils are reactive so we are hopeful that we will get the news we are looking for. Joey remains intubated and on a Fentanyl pain drip. They have shut off the sedation drip because his blood pressure doesn't tolerate it. Injuries to date are, a punctured right lung with a chest tube, basically every bone in his head is fractured, compound fracture (meaning his bone is out of his skin) in his left femur (what we want to go to the OR for this morning to fix), large hematoma (bruise) to his bladder and not sure yet extent of injury to cervical spine.... ??? Fracture above cervical 1. Please continue to pray for our sweet boy!!!! My family can not thank all of you for your quick responses to pray last night and for the enormous outpouring of love we are experiencing!!!!!
Just spoke with trauma Dr. P____. Injuries are more and expect more to come in following hour..... Torn spleen with poor anticoagulantion, pelvis injuries he couldn't elaborate on yet, bladder injury might be ruptured bladder, probable ankle fracture, he's going to review everything and make sure we aren't missing anything, especially the cervical injury......more to come in an hour or so
Next update, neurosurgeon is here and he is concerned about brain stem injury and swelling in brain is worse today..... Doing a procedure at bedside now to place tube in brain to measure brain pressures and go from there.... Everything else including OR is on hold right now until we know pressures!
Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.

Offline Chiere

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
Re: Co-worker's grandson was hit on bicycle last night
« Reply #1 on: February 17, 2015, 05:54:07 PM »
Lord have mercy!
To God Be the Glory!

Offline Rhinosaur

• Homo Vivius
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2015, 06:01:57 PM »
Lord have mercy.

Offline SolEX01

• Toumarches
    • Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of New Jersey
« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2015, 06:16:39 PM »
Lord have mercy.

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2015, 06:57:34 PM »
Lord, have mercy

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2015, 08:36:32 PM »
Lord have mercy. St. Luke and St. Pantaleimon, pray for us.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

"Our Lord will *never* stop loving us." - Fr. Michael P.

Offline marigold

• Archon
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2015, 08:38:55 PM »
Lord, have mercy on Joey.

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2015, 10:13:04 PM »
Lord, have mercy!

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2015, 12:14:36 AM »
Lord, have mercy!

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2015, 12:56:09 AM »
Lord have mercy.

St. Seraphim of Sarov, intercede to God for him.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2015, 03:41:30 AM »
Lord, have mercy.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2015, 09:56:05 AM »
THANK YOU ALL FOR PRAYING!

Today's update:

Ok neurosurgeon has been in and cat scan is resulted.... Good news for today! Cat scan shows some improvement since surgery last night. Not worse but not much better and that is great news! He is pleased with brain pressures. Plan is to keep Joey sedated today and then tomorrow try and wean him off sedation to see how his brain pressures do as well as see where we are neurologically. There is still obvious concern related to how much recovery we will be able to obtain. Drs are blunt and straight forward in the fact of how critically ill he is and how we are still touch and go!!
Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.

Offline Chiere

• Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2015, 01:39:52 PM »
Glory to God! Lord have mercy!
To God Be the Glory!

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 08:30:20 AM »
Sorry I missed this update from yesterday:
we had good news this morning and the Dr's attempted to decrease Joey's sedation and blood pressure medication however he didn't tolerate it.  His brain pressure began to rise over the course of several hours after decreasing the medications and so they have opened the drain in his brain to relieve some more pressure as well as increased his sedation back up.  They were able to leave his blood pressure drip decreased and his blood pressure has remained stable so that is encouraging.  Since they opened the drain in his brain the drainage has decreased and decreased so maybe they will close that drain again tonight....this is still to be determined as we see how he does in the next few hours....

Many of you have asked why the surgeon implanted his skull into his belly so here is the answer....when they removed part of the skull bone that surrounds your brain their intentions are to put it back at some point....with that being said, wouldn't it suck if they lost it!!!  So for no other reason that to keep his skull bone in a safe place they have implanted it in his belly skin to keep it safe.  It's a small pouch under his skin, not actually in his abdomen!  It's stored much like a pacemaker is stored if you've ever seen one of those. 

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 06:34:17 PM »
Through the intercessions of Ss. Cosimas and Damian, and all the Holy Un,erdemary Healers, St. Luke the Evangelist, and the most holy Theotokos, may he be made whole, through Jesus Christ our Lord.

Kyrie Eleison.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
  • Personal Text? We can have personal text?
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2015, 12:43:01 AM »
Lord, have mercy on your child.
Psalm 37:23 The Lord guides a man safely in the way he should go.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Offline merilu

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2015, 05:09:20 AM »
Lord, gave mercy.

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2015, 08:13:15 AM »
Update from Joey's mom:

Just got off the phone with Joey's nurse!!!  She did a brief sedation vacation tonight and while she was assessing Joey this happened.....he had his eyes open and was blinking so she asked him to squeeze her hand and he did!!!!  She wanted to verify she wasn't losing it and so she asked him to give her a thumbs up.....he tried with both hands and gave her a half thumbs up!!!!!  PEOPLE THIS IS HUGE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 

There you have it....my silence is broken and now go scream it from the rooftops :) :) :)

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2015, 08:36:16 AM »
Glory to God, that is great progress. Continued prayers.

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
Glory to God, indeed.

Prov. 3: 5-6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart, lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge Him, and He will direct your paths.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2015, 09:01:53 AM »
Thanks be to God. :)
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

Mt. 21:31 Jesus said to them, “Assuredly, I say to you that tax collectors and harlots enter the kingdom of God before you."

Offline Chiere

• Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2015, 09:16:01 AM »
Glory to God!
To God Be the Glory!

Offline marigold

• Archon
« Reply #22 on: February 22, 2015, 09:25:16 AM »
Glory to God!
Lord, grant healing to Joey.

Offline littlepilgrim64

• High Elder
  • Jurisdiction: GOA
« Reply #23 on: February 22, 2015, 02:39:27 PM »
Glory to the Lord!!!

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #24 on: February 24, 2015, 10:43:22 AM »
Update from last night, again THANK YOU for your prayers!

Where to start for today...let's start with the positives....first of all Dr. came in this morning and clamped the drain in Joey's brain to see what his pressures would do and they did great all day!  Pressures are staying well below the "danger" zone and we are planning on pulling that drain possibly tomorrow but more likely Wed.  His arterial line was never replaced yesterday so we are once less tube.  Tube in his lung was removed today and lung status has remained stable on breathing machine.  He still isn't breathing on his own, at all, but we are looking forward to addressing that in the next few days.  He was a little more swollen today so he was given a medicine in his IV to make him pee more and that seems to be helping.  His urine is clear which is a sign his bladder is continuing to heal.  Dressings to both of his legs were changed again today and all looked good and continues to heal.  Long way to go especially on his right thigh and right hand but still slow improvement.  His blood counts remained stable except for his sodium level which the nurse was addressing when I left and they will probably just change his IV fluid to compensate for this deviation.  Not terribly concerned about this as it should be a relatively easy fix.  Also good new is that he pooped 3 times today and I'm sure he is going to go some more tonight.  Yes, he will love this post especially when he sees that I am now going to tell you he is a "sharting" machine, lol.  (meaning wet farts ;)...if he doesn't wake up on his own my posts will make him wake up because he's gonna have to come kill me!!!

Now, on to more important things such as breathing machine and sedation vacations....we did one sedation vacation today at 3:35 but we did it a little different this time....we turned the sedation off but left the pain medicine on.  Not much happened for over an hour so the nurse decreased the pain medicine by 1/4.  After some time Joey did seem to arose a little bit.  He opened his eyes, began to move his mouth some as if to try and talk to us and moved his right hand some.  Vitals and brain pressure all stayed stable during this time, first time EVER!!  The not so great news was that he wouldn't follow any commands...the good news was that he lasted 2 hours and 35 minutes with zero sedation and 1/4 of the pain med before his heart rate sustained at a high level and we had to turn the meds back on.  This is almost double the time he has lasted on every other sedation vacation!!  However, we would really like to get him off of the sedation and pain drip and get him off of the breathing machine.  In order to do this tho we have to know he can follow commands.  We need to know he can cough on demand etc...Why is this important you may ask...well we need to know he can cough on demand to clear mucous.  This is important for us to ensure he has a safe airway-meaning we don't want to re-tube him once we remove it.  So, how do we accomplish this...well, this is part of the news we really didn't want to hear either....in a perfect world...Joey would tolerate no sedation with pain medicine every hour or so in his IV and be able to breathe on his own and we would be able to pull that breathing tube...we aren't there yet, so, plan at the moment unless they change their minds tomorrow will be to in the next 24-48 hours to put a tracheostomy tube in his neck and remove the breathing tube from his mouth.  (A tracheostomy is a tube that goes thru the front of your neck and into your windpipe which we can hook up to the breathing machine etc..we'd be able to plug it and see how he breaths later and reopen it if he can't breathe on his own)  The hopes for this is that it would be temporary until he is able to come safely off sedation and be able to breath on his own.  This would help us ensure we have a safe airway when we do try and wean him off of the breathing machine whereas the tube in his throat doesn't give us that "safety".  In addition to a tracheostomy we would need to get rid of the feeding tube going down his mouth and into his stomach and put a long term (hopefully not permanent) tube in his belly that goes into his stomach called a feeding tube.  We would be able to give him nutrition thru this and get all the tubes out of his mouth.

For my nurse and doctor friends reading this....Joey did have 2 episodes of what appears to be definitive for decorticate posturing during his sedation vacation.  I was especially disheartened to see this as it is a sign of brain damage...doesn't mean it's permanent damage but it's a definite sign that we will have a LONG road ahead of us.  We have been seeing signs of this before but we weren't sure if it was posturing or not but the more time I spent with him tonight I am positive it was as well as the nurse.  I told everyone before I will not sugar coat things, just as the doctors are not sugar coating this for us.  I can't lie and make this process a bed of roses but I can be honest and let you know what we experience and see on a daily basis so you can help us pray for COMPLETE healing.  Knowing what we are dealing with and what we need to pray for will help us directly impact Joey's care.  This isn't easy to write and I hope everyone understands I am just being completely transparent with Joey's progress.  I remain optimistic in his outcome but I also remain realistic in the road that lies ahead of us.....

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2015, 11:34:56 AM »
Continuing prayers. Lord, have mercy.

Offline Chiere

• Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2015, 09:36:37 PM »
Lord have mercy!
To God Be the Glory!

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
« Reply #27 on: February 25, 2015, 02:48:09 PM »
Lord, have mercy and bring your healing to Joey.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #28 on: February 25, 2015, 08:27:13 PM »
Lord have mercy.

St. Luke and St. Pantaleimon, pray for us.

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2015, 11:01:56 AM »
It has been a while since I updated:

Day 15, 3/3/15

More good news today.....Joey has been off of the breathing machine (CPAP) completely as well as his pain drip since 11am.  His vitals remain stable with this and his pain is being controlled with as needed medicines.  He seems to be pretty comfortable most of the time with this process.  He has been able to cough and bring up his own mucous thru the trach too which is a good sign.  We still can't get him to follow any commands or track but we are still hopeful!!  They tell us it may take awhile before he does this so we are trying to patient....for those of you who know me, this is not my best virtue!!

His temperature was down yesterday with only one spike but this morning he was running a fever again.  Just still continuing on the antibiotics and Tylenol.  They are removing his PICC line (it's a big IV in his arm) today to culture it today to make sure that isn't causing any infection and they will put a smaller IV in. (midline).  So far all other cultures are negative.  They did culture his trach yesterday as they think he may have a little infection there.

They did X-rays again of his right ankle today and we are still planning on surgery sometime later this week to fix his pelvis and his ankle.  I was asked yesterday why they would do surgery on these now if his brain is still healing etc....the answer is this....he is as stable as we will get him right now.  He needs these fixed so we can keep moving forward and get him to rehab.  His pain will be less if we can fix these as right now his pelvis and ankle are shattered.  This causes him significant pain!  They should be able to get him back to the status he is at right now within a day or so after surgery.  So, surgery seems to be the best thing for him whenever they tell us they are ready

Offline Chiere

• Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #30 on: March 04, 2015, 12:11:02 PM »
Lord have mercy!
To God Be the Glory!

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
« Reply #31 on: March 04, 2015, 01:35:35 PM »
Continued prayers. Lord, have mercy.

Offline merilu

« Reply #32 on: March 04, 2015, 11:52:52 PM »
Lord have mercy.

Offline Alxandra

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #33 on: March 05, 2015, 12:26:49 AM »
Lord have mercy
"And if the man is the head of the family then the woman is the heart, and this heart is made by God that He may find rest in it”
+Elder Arsenie Papacioc

Blog http://the-woman-is-the-heart.tumblr.com/

Facebook Page https://www.facebook.com/thewomanistheheart/

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #34 on: March 16, 2015, 03:43:07 PM »
update for today, good news!

"As promised, an update on Joey, and it is favorable news indeed!

Joey is sitting up and has even tried to stand on his own.  He is communicating in utterances and has even been able to follow commands.  He is alert and his eyes are able to track movement.  There is no fever thus he is being transported to a rehab facility in Jacksonville. 

Please continue prayers:  for travel mercies to the facility and so that the transport will be comfortable for Joey.  Even though there is elation and gratitude at Joey’s progress, the family continues to need your prayers and thoughts for sustenance and enablement in their vigils.  And while you are at it, please say a special thank you for those doctors, nurses and staff who have attended and ministered to Joey and the family while they have walked this valley!"

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
« Reply #35 on: March 16, 2015, 03:58:37 PM »
Glory to God.

Offline marigold

• Archon
« Reply #36 on: March 16, 2015, 07:17:21 PM »
Glory to God!
Lord, grant healing and comfort to Joey.

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #37 on: March 23, 2015, 10:15:44 AM »
Up, and then down ...

"Day 34....well the past few days have been full of assessment after assessment and unfortunately I am reporting no changes in Joey's status....Joey still remains in his vegetative state and is not following commands....this weekend he will have somewhat of a break from his assessments and will hopefully be able to regain some momentum and energy! 

We did find out since Joey has been at Brooks that his left arm has a fracture in the ulna bone.  It is healing well and they are not going to cast it.  What they are talking about doing tho is splinting his left arm because he is starting to get contractures in that arm.  A contracture is permanent muscle or joint shortening and it pulls in things such as his hand and arm to his side....

So, what do we need from you....well we needs some very specific prayer request....first, please pray Joey begins to emerge from his vegetative state and starts to follow some commands.  Please pray for continued healing to his bones and that no further contractures arise and that his left arm will relax and not be permanently damaged from contracture. 
Next, we need lots of prayer for Joey's 5 year old little brother Kaelin....he needs to see Joey and he is showing us he isn't ready....we have a therapist at Brooks working with us to ease this transition but we need him to be able to see Joey and not be frightened.  Since the accident we are having severe behavioral issues with Kaelin and this is making life more difficult for Rachael and Ernie as they are trying to learn what they need to do for Joey but yet be there for Kaelin...Please pray we can make this transition with Kaelin in the coming days as this is going to be vital if we do end up taking Joey home in the coming weeks....This is an urgent prayer request!
As always, Katie, Joey's 12 year old little sister is needing prayer as well....This week has been disheartening for all of us and she is feeling that sadness as well...She is staying with my parents and has a great support system however, the reality doesn't change.....
We are all in need of prayer for peace with this situation.....words do not describe the emotions we are feeling and certainly can't take away our pain right now....We certainly remain strong in our faith and our trust in the Lord and are trusting that he has this in his hands, in his control and he has a plan!!!  Waiting for that plan is brutal but we know he has one....."

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #38 on: March 23, 2015, 10:33:28 AM »
Lord have mercy.

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #39 on: March 23, 2015, 01:19:42 PM »
Lord have mercy.
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
« Reply #40 on: March 23, 2015, 01:32:09 PM »
Lord, have mercy.

Offline Maximum Bob

• Archon
« Reply #41 on: March 23, 2015, 05:01:21 PM »
Lord, have mercy on Joey and his family.

Offline marigold

• Archon
« Reply #42 on: March 23, 2015, 06:41:36 PM »
Lord, have mercy.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #43 on: March 23, 2015, 06:45:46 PM »