OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 11:09:48 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Interested in learning Greek  (Read 1649 times) Average Rating: 0
ManSpider

I'm from Catholicism.... I'm here to help.

« on: June 08, 2005, 11:34:06 AM »

I'm interested in learning modern Greek.  Where should I start?

idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 12:18:35 PM »

is that classical Greek or modern Greek you are interested in?....if the latter, I suggest the "Pimsleur" self-language-learning program.....you can get an abridged version for about $60.00 (or a complete version for about $300)

I'm interested in learning Farsi and Turkish....where should I start?

woops.....i didn't even read your post properly.......duh me
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 12:19:22 PM by idontlikenames » Logged

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
coptic orthodox boy
Elder

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 12:57:17 PM »

IC XC NIKA
I want to learn Mandarin.
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 05:08:46 PM »

I highly recomend against Pimsluer as you get no real grasp of the language from it.ÂÂ  Especially with Greek there are many ways to say the same thing, and pimsluer just doesn't give you the knowledge to handle that - nor to even read Greek.

A good place to start out is [i[Colloquial Greek: The Complete Course for Beginners[/i] found here http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0415325145/ref=pd_bxgy_text_1/002-1872092-0430467?v=glance&s=books&st=*.ÂÂ  Also the tapes are helpful for hearing the flow of the langauge.ÂÂ  

If you are up for the challange of a book with no English in it (except the vocabulary section in the back) there is a book called Ξέρετε Ελληνικά; which I find is very good.ÂÂ  This has advatages of creating an immersion feeling, but not good if you have no experience of the language nor frequent contacts with native speakers.ÂÂ  

But why speak Greek when the language of Christ and Apostles was Russian?! Po - po!

Silouan
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 05:09:53 PM by Silouan » Logged
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 06:37:35 PM »

actually i think Arabic is the most valuable language to learn sincin' that in 10 years from now that will be the only language used in the entire European continent, and therefore, French will be displaced as the language of diplomacy and German will be displaced as the language of philosophy

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 07:08:29 PM »

actually i think Arabic is the most valuable language to learn sincin' that in 10 years from now that will be the only language used in the entire European continent, and therefore, French will be displaced as the language of diplomacy and German will be displaced as the language of philosophy

Grin

I highly recomend against Pimsluer as you get no real grasp of the language from it.  Especially with Greek there are many ways to say the same thing, and pimsluer just doesn't give you the knowledge to handle that - nor to even read Greek.

I always heard Pimsluer was the best. Didn't know there was something better out there.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
SeanMc

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 07:23:57 PM »

Check with your local Greek cultural centre (Cdn. spelling if you're wondering), and they will be able to tell you if there any classes available in the area.
SeanMc

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 07:25:42 PM »

actually i think Arabic is the most valuable language to learn sincin' t

Bah. The most useful language in the coming years will be either Hindi or Chinese, Manadrin dialect. The Arab nations do not have the numbers to become world powers like these two countries (that both have nuclear capability).
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #8 on: June 09, 2005, 03:38:42 AM »

German is a wonderful gutteral language, exactly the kind of language I would imagine trolls and dwarfs speaking. Its so ancient and has those delightful compound words, so concrete and literal and you can hear Beowulf and the Vikings in it.  Grin
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: