Author Topic: From Anastasios re: Forum Upgrades  (Read 14874 times)

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: From Anastasios re: Forum Upgrades
« Reply #135 on: February 26, 2015, 06:56:09 PM »
And if I get a warning for arguing with moderators I'm gonna go crazycakes all up in here.  :P

I imagine you saying "crazycakes" and smile. 
The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Actually, Mor's face shineth like the Sun.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #136 on: March 01, 2015, 08:26:07 PM »
Will we have the Treasury for the site again?

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #137 on: March 01, 2015, 11:10:21 PM »
But I went to go look for all that stuff about banning, with negative results. Where is it now? Or is the upgrade have a bit-bucket for rules and complaint departments?

OC without rules? That is anarchy.

Verified. I clicked the link to the rules.

Here it is: http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php?action=rules

Yes, no rules.

Oh, dear, what will the mods do now?

It seems as if they've been implementing a play from Animal Farm.  Those pesky pigs changed the rules to suit themselves.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline Doof

• Faith: used to believe in Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox, Kolkata, India
« Reply #138 on: March 09, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »
The colours seem to be too pale and uncomfortable to look at. 

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #139 on: March 09, 2015, 03:57:15 PM »
The old Lenten layout would be nice to have, if possible.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #140 on: March 12, 2015, 10:43:36 PM »
How do you turn the coding doodads off in posts (or for part of a post)? For example, if I want to post [ o ] with the spaces removed, but without getting this:

Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #141 on: March 12, 2015, 10:54:32 PM »
How do you turn the coding doodads off in posts (or for part of a post)? For example, if I want to post [ o ] with the spaces removed, but without getting this: [o]

Click the + to reveal "Attachments and other options" and then select the checkbox "Don't use smileys."

[o]
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #142 on: March 12, 2015, 10:55:48 PM »
Invaluable when you're trying to cite a verse that ends in 8, I mean like this: (Mat 4:8).
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Asteriktos

• Lame!
  • Hypatos
« Reply #143 on: March 12, 2015, 10:56:40 PM »
But that... isn't... a...

[o]

Well ok then. Thanks!

Didn't there used to be a different check box for turning off code though? Or am I just going crazy...  8)
Facts unloading, please to wait

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #144 on: March 12, 2015, 11:00:14 PM »
Simple Machines is enough and not enough like more common platforms vBulletin and phpBB that it can drive one a little crazy.

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
« Reply #145 on: March 12, 2015, 11:25:29 PM »
I didn't see the questions re: warning and banning before tonight...

The new SMF software handles warnings by percentages.  When a mod issues a warning, they put in the reason, and then assign a percentage to the infraction.  The level of warning is based on the cumulative percentage.  Your warning percentage will decrease by 1% per day.  While the warning is triggered by an action in a post, the warning itself is not tied to the post, and that's why we don't have the old system of the automatic in-post dot with warning message - the warnings in the old system were linked to both post and user, and in the new system are only linked to the user.

When your warning percentage reaches 5%, you are "Watched" (which is a replacement for "Warned").  At 25% you are on Post Moderation.  At 50% you are Muted.  (Banning is handled independently of the warning system.)

This newer warning system's operation renders the outcomes quite differently than the last one.  Before, if one was put on 61 day Muting, they would automatically then be on Post Moderation for 61 days at the conclusion of the muting, and then 61 days of warning after that.  So a 61-day infraction could lead to 183 days "in the system."  This was especially long at the maximum level (99 day Muting would leave someone in the warning system for 297 days - a week short of 10 months total).  Under the new system you can only be warned up to 100%, and that will automatically decrease by 1 per day, so the maximum time "in the system" for one infraction is 100 days.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2015, 11:26:59 PM by Fr. George »
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #146 on: March 13, 2015, 01:58:05 PM »
Sot hay would then mean, the max warning is 24 days, and no longer 99 as well.

Offline Chiere

• Reserve Grand Champion
  • Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Lugia stares deep into the depths of your soul
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #147 on: March 21, 2015, 08:10:07 PM »
I have a question: how do we reset which time zone we want for the board? A few weeks ago, the OC.net started running an hour behind my real time.

No thanks to Daylight Savings time. >:(

To God Be the Glory!

Offline Maria

• Boldly Proclaiming True Orthodox Christianity
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
    • Saint Euphrosynos Cafe Discussion Forum
  • Faith: TrueGenuine Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC under Archbishop Stephanos
« Reply #148 on: March 21, 2015, 09:03:01 PM »
I have a question: how do we reset which time zone we want for the board? A few weeks ago, the OC.net started running an hour behind my real time.

No thanks to Daylight Savings time. >:(

With that Penalty Box restriction, you might have to PM a mod as changing to DST must be done through the profile.
The memory of God should be treasured in our hearts like the precious pearl mentioned in the Holy Gospel. Our life's goal should be to nurture and contemplate God always within, and never let it depart, for this steadfastness will drive demons away from us. - Paraphrased from St. Philotheus of Sinai
Writings from the Philokalia: On Prayer of the Heart,
Translated from the Russian by E. Kadloubovksy and G.E.H. Palmer, Faber and Faber, London, Boston, 1992 printing.

Offline GabrieltheCelt

• Taxiarches
  • Son of a Preacher Man
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox OCA
« Reply #149 on: April 03, 2015, 08:08:56 PM »
While the warning is triggered by an action in a post, the warning itself is not tied to the post, and that's why we don't have the old system of the automatic in-post dot with warning message - the warnings in the old system were linked to both post and user, and in the new system are only linked to the user.

So, if I understand you correctly, Father, you can no longer click on the user's name and find the post where the infraction occurred?  If so, I like this way a whole lot better.
"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying

Offline TheMathematician

• Archon
  • Formerly known as Montalo
  • Jurisdiction: ACROD
« Reply #150 on: April 03, 2015, 09:51:39 PM »
While the warning is triggered by an action in a post, the warning itself is not tied to the post, and that's why we don't have the old system of the automatic in-post dot with warning message - the warnings in the old system were linked to both post and user, and in the new system are only linked to the user.

So, if I understand you correctly, Father, you can no longer click on the user's name and find the post where the infraction occurred?  If so, I like this way a whole lot better.

And i would like to voice my displeasure with it, because it decreases transparency with the mods.