OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 22, 2014, 08:43:31 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Is Joel Osteen a Word-of-Faith pastor?  (Read 10190 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: June 07, 2005, 11:26:01 PM »

Joel Osteen is pastor of Lakewood Church, the largest congregation in America, and the most watched televangelist. Olsteen does not remind followers of our sinful nature and God's judgement but instead preaches a message of material success under the favor of God. I do not doubt the sincerity of his faith but the influence in which he has on people scares me.
He is not exactly a Benny Hinn but their messages are strikingly similar; Osteen just seems to be more subtle about it and therefore, much more people are able to take him seriously.ÂÂ  

For an article on Osteen and his ministry, please visit this site:

http://www.discernment.org/LeavenLakewood.htm
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 11:32:50 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2005, 12:26:47 AM »

In all honesty, I sympathize with Osteen. He really does have this certain charisma to him, whether it be from God or the evil one.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 12:27:06 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2005, 06:39:34 AM »

Joel Osteen is creepy.
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2005, 11:44:38 AM »

I live in Houston and work next to his new "church" which is the old Compaq Center.ÂÂ  It's a huge arena designed for concerts, which is what his "church" is about.

I made one of the guys mad at our church.ÂÂ  He came for REAL Easter and told me how happy he is since going to Osteen's church and how guilty the metropolitan and our priest makes him feel.ÂÂ  He doesn't help at church, he doesn't donate money, he misses all the time, he doesn't fast, etc., and the sermons about that stuff makes him feel guilty.  At Osteen's church he always leaves feeling good about himself and Osteen's collection plate is never empty.  He said he was really happy.

I told him that sometimes we need to hear what we don't want to hear.ÂÂ  Sometimes we shouldn't feel good about ourselves, especially if we aren't good.ÂÂ  I told him that Jesus made people feel so good about themselves that they crucified Him.ÂÂ  

I may have been too offensive.ÂÂ  He hasn't come back and I feel bad about that.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 11:46:02 AM by cizinec » Logged

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2005, 11:48:15 AM »

I live in Houston and work next to his new "church" which is the old Compaq Center.ÂÂ  It's a huge arena designed for concerts, which is what his "church" is about.

I made one of the guys mad at our church.ÂÂ  He came for REAL Easter and told me how happy he is since going to Osteen's church and how guilty the metropolitan and our priest makes him feel.ÂÂ  He doesn't help at church, he doesn't donate money, he misses all the time, he doesn't fast, etc., and the sermons about that stuff makes him feel guilty.ÂÂ  At Osteen's church he always leaves feeling good about himself and Osteen's collection plate is never empty.ÂÂ  He said he was really happy.

I told him that sometimes we need to hear what we don't want to hear.ÂÂ  Sometimes we shouldn't feel good about ourselves, especially if we aren't good.ÂÂ  I told him that Jesus made people feel so good about themselves that they crucified Him.ÂÂ  

I may have been too offensive.ÂÂ  He hasn't come back and I feel bad about that.

Yeah, tell him to read the Beatitudes.  "Blessed are you when men shall revile you and persecute and shall say all manner of evil against you falsely for My sake."
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 12:25:55 PM »

no comment.

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 12:27:16 PM »

What good is a "mega-church" with a neato-sound system and so much money they can use it for toilet-paper, when everyone there is going to die in their sins?

ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 01:17:53 PM »

I've got a better idea of what those people with mega-churches and uber-amounts of money could do:  why not hold off on buying that state-of-the-art sound system and projector and instead spend those $25,000 helping some of the poor, huh?  Oh, wait, I forgot.  The official religion of the United States is Me-ism.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 01:19:57 PM »

actually....unfortunately I think that Orthodoxy can use that advice too

Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 01:58:22 PM »

Well, it's not just Mr. Osteen that's like this. Watch TBN (if you can stomach it that is  Huh) and you will see that most of them are like exact replicas of each other. Kind of reminds me of the "borg" from Star Trek. Another fun thing to do is walk into a christian book store and look at all the junk they peddle. Even when I was a protestant it used to drive be crazy. 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 02:01:38 PM »

yeah....ever seen this guy Jack van Impe?....absolute nut-case that man is.  I wouldn't be surprised if he has a member card to the good ole M & M (Michigan Militia)......my mother, who is a Catholic watches this man every chance she gets....I tell her she crazy

cizinec
High Elder

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 02:07:38 PM »

....absolute nut-case that man is.

The story was true!  Yoda did become Orthodox!!!  Two incidents, bro, it's GOTTA be you!

Grin

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2005, 02:29:53 PM »

Oh, wait, I forgot. The official religion of the United States is Me-ism.

According to Word of Faith doctrine, wealth is a sign of God's favor and poverty is a sign of God's judgement.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2005, 02:32:11 PM »

.....then i guess these idiots never read the book of Job....or the Gospel for that matter.....last time I checked, I believe Jesus hung out with beggars and cripples

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2005, 02:39:07 PM »

I wouldn't call them idiotic, misled perhaps. At his church, Osteen prays that everyone in the congregation will have a well-paying job with healthcare. I don't find too much of a problem with that.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2005, 02:48:41 PM »

This is what the Paula Zahn show said on a feature of Osteen:
"He's the new-age preacher who brandishes his Bible as the ultimate self-help book, with God as every man's personal financial adviser."
At first, I felt a little offended by this. But when I thought more about Osteen's particular breed of Christianity, it does seem like new-ageism with an evangelical face.ÂÂ  
This is the Washington Post article that the Paula Zahn report was probably based on:
http://www.religionnewsblog.com/10085

This part is a little startling:
"He is unapologetic that he lives well in a $1 million house in an upscale neighborhood and that he is pouring the church's offerings into the Compaq Center these days, not into charities. "I feel like God wants us to prosper," he said. "My dad grew up in the Depression. . . . It is not God's will for anybody to live where you can't support your family. . . . [Houston Astros pitcher] Roger Clemens just signed for $18 million -- man, don't tell me I can't have a nice house and send my kids to college."
Osteen said if the church "had that vow-of-poverty mentality, I don't know if we could raise $80 million" for the Compaq Center."
http://www.religionnewsblog.com/10085

It is hard for me to read this kind of stuff because he is so likeable and I actually do enjoy watching his telecast.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 03:01:16 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2005, 04:17:12 PM »

It is hard for me to read this kind of stuff because he is so likeable and I actually do enjoy watching his telecast.

Well you shouldn't be - he's deceiving potentially millions.  He was a completely warped message that turns a blind eye to repenting, taking up your cross to follow Christ no how hard it may be, etc. 
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2005, 04:22:52 PM »

But perhaps his positive message will bring people to Christ who otherwise would not have looked. But then again, Osteen's Gospel seems to be more about wearing Victoria's Secret for your husband and getting the best parking spaces at Bloomingdales than salvation.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 04:23:27 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2005, 05:19:18 PM »

But perhaps his positive message will bring people to Christ who otherwise would not have looked. But then again, Osteen's Gospel seems to be more about wearing Victoria's Secret for your husband and getting the best parking spaces at Bloomingdales than salvation.

Now you're gettin' it!  Wink
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2005, 05:31:57 PM »

My recent post on the topic in the Modern Church Fathers seems apt: "Not many believed in the witness of previous fathers; and this not because the testimony is false but because faith entails ascetic living."

Elder Sophrony

It seems to me that this type of "spirituality" has its root in the divorce of ascetical life from Christianity that began to happen in the West.  This is one of the results of seeing Christianity as a belief system rather than a way of life. 
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2005, 07:00:10 PM »

Well, if a Christ-themed self-help program is a way of life, then perhaps Osteen counts.
« Last Edit: June 08, 2005, 07:01:03 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Silouan
High Elder

Bogurodzica dziewica zbaw nas

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2005, 07:12:10 PM »

Notice the emphasis on asceticism is lost.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #22 on: June 09, 2005, 05:01:09 AM »

Despite the watered down theology, I always at least try to give these ministry groups the benefit of the doubt just because many will probably be brought to Christ who otherwise would not have.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #23 on: June 09, 2005, 10:48:17 AM »

Despite the watered down theology, I always at least try to give these ministry groups the benefit of the doubt just because many will probably be brought to Christ who otherwise would not have.

I'm hesitant to say this precisely because I understand the subjectivity of the human experience and how it doesn't always mesh perfectly with objective reality (even though we may still, in spite of our ignorant misunderstandings be in touch with that particular reality)...but if people actually take him seriously, at his word, I have to just wonder what "Christ" they are being brought to?

It would be a "Christ" drained of anything substantial He had to say, drained of any significance to how He lived, died, and rose again, and one about which only the most vague things would be said (slogans with little certain theological content, mainly drawn from the Bible like "Lord" or "Son of God", which without that content, can be understood in all sorts of erroneous ways.)  Perhaps someone can or will find their way to Christ in all of that, but IMHO, no more so than they might being a religious Buddhist (perhaps even less!), or a Muslim.

cizinec
High Elder

« Reply #24 on: June 09, 2005, 12:16:24 PM »

Okay.ÂÂ  What's wrong the Osteen?ÂÂ  Here is his Osteen's Creed recited at every service.

CONFESSION: This is my Bible. I am what it says I am. I have what it says I have. I can do what it says I can do. Today I will be taught the Word of God. I boldly confess. My mind is alert. My heart is receptive. I will never be the same. I am about to receive the incorruptible, indestructible ever-living seed of the Word of God. I will never be the same. Never, never, never. I’ll never be the same. In Jesus’ name.

To some I suppose it sounds like Osteen is talking about the Bible.ÂÂ  He's NOT.ÂÂ  He has made himself a mini-pope.ÂÂ  Each service his congregation announces that what Osteen is about to tell them is, essentially, infallible.ÂÂ  Osteen has some "seed" of the "Word of God" which he distributes.ÂÂ  I've watched his programs before.ÂÂ  Primarily because we've lost people to his teachings.ÂÂ  This guy is messed up big time.

Note that WHO Jesus is doesn't make the cut.  Soteriology isn't mentioned, nothing except the fact the Osteen is never wrong.  That's not Christianity, it's Osteeanity.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 12:18:14 PM by cizinec » Logged

Doubting Thomas
High Elder

Anglican (but not Episcopagan)

« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2005, 01:09:21 PM »

Note that WHO Jesus is doesn't make the cut.ÂÂ  Soteriology isn't mentioned, nothing except the fact the Osteen is never wrong.ÂÂ  That's not Christianity, it's Osteeanity.
True.   Undecided

"My Lord and My God!"--Doubting Thomas, AD 33
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2005, 01:17:54 PM »

I'm hesitant to say this precisely because I understand the subjectivity of the human experience and how it doesn't always mesh perfectly with objective reality...

You've made some good points. What I hope is that the seekers who visit his church will eventually long for something with a little more substance.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
cizinec
High Elder

« Reply #27 on: June 09, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »

Matt,

Some do.  But then, as I said above, he's also finding the uneducated Orthodox in our community and taking them, not that these folks were ever really active in our parish.  So the problem is that he also attracts Orthodox looking for less.

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #28 on: June 09, 2005, 02:31:38 PM »

cizinec,

Don't have a citation for you (as I saw this in a TV interview), but Osteen has publically said that creed was about the Bible.

Just FYI.

Also,

Matt's comment about "wearing Victoria's Secret for your husband and getting the best parking spaces at Bloomingdales" reminds me SOOOOO much of my days at ORU where none other than the First Lady of the university, Mrs. Lindsey Roberts, talked about how she would just pray for God to give her a good parking space, and if she got one, it was God's blessing.  Seriously...if neither you nor God have anything more pressing to deal with in your lives, then it's sad in your case and horrible in His.

There's a woman in our parish who's said in the past that she likes Osteen.  Tragic, though she was never taught any different--that and cultural differences might muddle the contrast.  Fortunately I think she's coming around (at least, I hope so) to some of the problems in Osteen's community cent- I mean church.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
cizinec
High Elder

« Reply #29 on: June 09, 2005, 03:14:02 PM »

Pedro,

I'm sure that's what he thinks he's teaching, just like we claim that's what we are teaching.

Today I will be taught the Word of God.

That's kind of hard to dance around.ÂÂ  If you asked him I'm sure he'd say, "I don't teach anything that's not in the Bible."ÂÂ  What he means is "I don't teach anything that's not my interpretation of the Bible."ÂÂ  

They play him almost all day here in Houston.ÂÂ  They look at him as being a "Pope" figure and he hasn't done much to shy away from it.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2005, 03:14:15 PM by cizinec » Logged

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2005, 03:24:34 PM »

I'm sure that's what he thinks he's teaching, just like we claim that's what we are teaching.

Right, but it doesn't make the creed "wrong."  He's at least TRYING to say we should "believe the Bible,"  whatever that ultimately turns out to be.  Would that we all ACTUALLY adhered to Scripture.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2005, 03:26:29 PM »

He's misled but I still kind of like him. He's just so upbeat and positive...like Tony Robbins. 

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2005, 03:42:24 PM »

yo matthew,

u a brotha? Cause you certainly have a brother-ish avatar.

Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2005, 03:49:56 PM »

He's misled but I still kind of like him. He's just so upbeat and positive...like Tony Robbins.

People that are always upbeat and positive kinda give me the creeps. It makes me wonder what's going on behind the scenes. It's not natural to always act that way in my opinion but maybe I could be wrong.  Cool

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2005, 04:33:51 PM »

There's a woman in our parish who's said in the past that she likes Osteen.ÂÂ  Tragic, though she was never taught any different--that and cultural differences might muddle the contrast.ÂÂ  Fortunately I think she's coming around (at least, I hope so) to some of the problems in Osteen's community cent- I mean church.

I think my grandpa listens to/watches him occasionally.  He's always been a baptisty type - all about the sermon and making you feel good.  I invited a bunch of those relatives over for a house blessing/house warming party.  I think they were confused and probably thought it was too "catholicy", but didn't say anything to me - just that it was "interesting".  Unfortunately, they aren't really seeking, so hard to draw them in - even w/ overt proselytizing.
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2005, 09:09:31 PM »

When all is said and done, I think I'd rather become a Tantric Hindu than espouse this type of Christianity.....at least it's more consistent.  (coptic orthodox boy: i think i like atman better than an-atman.....so not Buddhism)

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #36 on: June 10, 2005, 02:49:12 AM »

When all is said and done, I think I'd rather become a Tantric Hindu than espouse this type of Christianity.

Tantric spirituality is based on the glorification of sex, right? It wouldn't be that hard for a young man to commit to or believe in. Osteen spirituality, however flawed, seems to have more substance than that.

yo matthew,
u a brotha? Cause you certainly have a brother-ish avatar.

Revelation 1
14 His head and his hairs were white like wool, as white as snow; and his eyes were as a flame of fire;    
15 And his feet like unto fine brass, as if they burned in a furnace; and his voice as the sound of many waters.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2005, 02:50:36 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #37 on: June 10, 2005, 03:54:46 AM »

What I'm saying is: at least Tantric Hinduism lives at face value....at least it's honest.....

What Joel Osteen is doing is completely dishonest....he takes a religion, whose very core and substance is self-sacrifice and ego-less-ness, and twists it to his own liking; making it say something it isn't: that God "owes" it to you for you to live sumptuously......as if there weren't hundreds of Christians dying in the Sudan from starvation and persecution.....because obviously American Christians are SPECIAL (which I quite honestly think that most American "Christians" {notice the quotes} believe).

And Osteanity is all American-trash-culture schlock.....losing, as in all forms of Protestantism, any form of mystique or sense of mysticism....something which at least Hinduism keeps on some level.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #38 on: June 10, 2005, 02:32:53 PM »

twists it to his own liking; making it say something it isn't: that God "owes" it to you for you to live sumptuously

I would not say that we deserve to live sumptuously. But to what extent can the favor of God improve one's life?

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Nigula Qian Zishi
Administrator Emeritus, Retired Deacon, Inactive Poster, Active Orthodox Christian, Father, and Husband
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America

我美丽的妻子和我。

nstanosheck
« Reply #39 on: June 10, 2005, 03:28:41 PM »

Re: Is Joel Osteen a Word-of-Faith pastor?

Huh I do not understand the question. What is a "Word-of-Faith pastor?" and what does it have to do with Orthodoxy?

在基督         My Original Blog
尼古拉         My Facebook Profile
前执事         My Twitter Page
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #40 on: June 10, 2005, 04:02:45 PM »

What I'm saying is: at least Tantric Hinduism lives at face value....at least it's honest.....

What Joel Osteen is doing is completely dishonest....he takes a religion, whose very core and substance is self-sacrifice and ego-less-ness, and twists it to his own liking; making it say something it isn't: that God "owes" it to you for you to live sumptuously......as if there weren't hundreds of Christians dying in the Sudan from starvation and persecution.....because obviously American Christians are SPECIAL (which I quite honestly think that most American "Christians" {notice the quotes} believe).

And Osteanity is all American-trash-culture schlock.....losing, as in all forms of Protestantism, any form of mystique or sense of mysticism....something which at least Hinduism keeps on some level.

I totally agree. What you have described are the reasons why I almost gave up on christianity at one point in my life. I would rather be a zen budhist than a prostestant christian. I was so frustrated with it all that I just stopped going to church. I was so tired of the church being run like a business adventure. I was tired of stupid evangelicals acting very dum and fruity and tired of the whole protestant cabal in general. I started even mocking fellow evangelicals and called them on their fakeness. I was tired of the "comericalization" of the church and all the politics and struggle plays I always witnessed. Also tired of idiots telling me I was sinning by smoking cigars and drinking alcohol and other dum things I found very annoying. I even had some of them tell me that I was inviting demons into my house because I happened to have the book of Mormon & JW bible on my shelfs for strictly acedemic purposes. I just gave up and assumed there was no such thing as a true Christian church. Little did I realize I was about to begin on a journey where God finally led me to historic liturgical Christianity and then Orthodoxy. It was if the heavens opened up and the blinders were taken off. I had no idea that their was a "true" church out there until God led me and showed me his church! I feel like a baby that's just started on a big adventure and it will never end because his Church is filled with endless treasures!

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #41 on: June 10, 2005, 04:24:38 PM »

[quote author=Νικολάος Διάκονος link=topic=6358.msg82619#msg82619 date=1118431721]
What is a "Word-of-Faith pastor?" [/quote]

"The Word of Faith movement or word-faith theology developed in the latter half of the 20th century in mainly Pentecostal and Charismatic churches. Its beginnings trace back to an early twentieth century evangelical pastor, E.W. Kenyon (died 1948), who preached that God would award financial and other gifts if the faithful would ask. Kenyon coined the phrase, "What I confess, I possess." Kenneth E. Hagin is often credited with being the father of the modern Word of Faith movement, using a four-part formula he claimed to have received from Jesus: "Say it; do it; receive it; tell it."

Proponents of the doctrine include Kenneth Copeland, Creflo Dollar, Benny Hinn, Joel Osteen, and Marilyn Hickey, among others. They teach that Christians must claim the grace God has promised them, whether in material goods, health, social position, or roles within the church.

Detractors, such as Hank Hanegraaff and Norman Geisler, denounce word-faith theology as aberrant and contrary to the teachings of the Bible. Hanegraaff, among others, claims that this teaching goes against God's sovereignty and his prerogative to grant or deny what the praying one asks for. Word of Faith theologists counter that they believe the Bible is God's will and they are having faith in His Word.

Detractors and proponents alike acknowledge that word-faith theology finds echoes in the "prosperity gospel" often preached on the Trinity Broadcasting Network."
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Word_of_faith

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #42 on: June 10, 2005, 04:26:52 PM »

I just want to clarify in my last post that just because protestantism is filled with wholes and bad people doesn't mean that I think they are lost and going to hell. I feel that many of them do have a real relationship with Christ and usually the ones that are more honest would take a look at Orthodoxy and see that it is the true church. My conversion was actually not that hard because I already believed in the core tenets of the Christian faith.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2005, 04:31:41 PM »

[quote author=Νικολάος Διάκονος link=topic=6358.msg82619#msg82619 date=1118431721]
 what does it have to do with Orthodoxy?
[/quote]

It has been noted in this thread that some Orthodox Christians may be attracted away from the faith to Osteen's glossy pseudo-spirituality.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #44 on: June 11, 2005, 02:43:22 AM »

- Does Joel Osteen actually say anything religious of any kind during his sermons ? Sure, he starts with holding the Bible and during the program some verses, unrelated to the subject, appear at the bottom of the screen, but is there any relgious substance in the sermons ? The "be all you can be" and "I believe I can fly" sermons can be carried out by any charismatic speaker and does not need any knowledge.

- Joel Osteen, like Billy Graham, Joyce Meyers, Benny Henn (my favorite) and others are a marketing product that is distributed and brings in big money. The marketing techniques employed to elevate them to stardom is analogous to the tactics used in the making of a rapper or a pop singer. A raw talent, discovered , polished, trained, presented to the public targeting a certain group, and the revenues are shared.

- I do not have sympathy with Joel Osteen or his likes, for they turn away the people from repentence. I feel for the multitudes that follow him. It is sad to see so many people not able to discern the truth and falling for such crap.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 02:45:05 AM by Stavro » Logged

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #45 on: June 11, 2005, 10:44:59 AM »

Stavro,

I do not have sympathy with Joel Osteen or his likes, for they turn away the people from repentence. I feel for the multitudes that follow him. It is sad to see so many people not able to discern the truth and falling for such crap.

I can heartily agree with this appraisal, and know it from my own experience in my "un-churched" youth.  I'm also glad that you included Billy Graham's "ministry" in this, precisely because (though he's not a "word of faith" type) one of those youthful experiences involved it.

I remember in my teens, just as I was starting to get an interest in important questions (and not coming from a religious household - by no means atheistical or anti-religious, just "a-religious" in most respects), I caught one of his "crusades" on television.  I noticed the offer for some free literature, so I called the 800-number to request it.

Well, what I got on the other hand was (I know this in hindsight) a ridiculous hard sell for "Christ."  Sincerely at that point I was quite non-commital, yet the person on the phone was convinced (like any good telemarketer) to "sell me" something - in this case, I mean, verbally accepting "Jesus Christ as my personal Lord and Saviour".  In reality, I was just a dumb kid who wanted to read the booklets - I was just as non-commital when the conversation ended, as I was when it began.  I just told him what he wanted to hear, so he'd shut up, take my address, and send my books.  Not very principled on my part, but then again, I was the unwashed kid - the person on the other end of the line was the supposed "Christian soul-winner."  And I have no doubt whatsoever, that each one of the operators they had, was keeping count - just like any good telemarketer.

This is why, to this day, I find the numbers these evangelicals provide about their success to be largely meaningless.  Really what they do mean, is that they've probably stolen someone away from another group, or "ruined" that person for the other group - but as far as actually acquiring that person for another, distinct creed and way of life, I'm convinced that most of the time this doesn't actually happen, or that when it does, it's often short lived.  These are the kind of people who think because they shook a "sinner's prayer" out of some poor third-worlder with the lure of a bowl of rice or worse yet, a handful of money, they've not only brought that person over to something, but indeed that this person is "saved" - they're going to Heaven, that's it.

That is insane, and is why I'm  of the mind that those not coming from firmly confessional, conservative Protestant backgrounds at the very least (with a Trinitarian form of baptism), need to not simply be Baptized for "correctness" sake, but also to reflect the reality that they are basically no more "Christian" than the fervant adherants of some infidellic religion or paganism.  They have a little shared terminology with the Church, some shared namesakes, that's about it - for even the Jews or Muslims would tell you "God is one" or that He discerns between good and evil, etc. (though even they, unlike these evangelicals, confess that He is the rewarder of good and evil.)

idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #46 on: June 11, 2005, 06:47:33 PM »

And speaking of Billy Graham, there has been some not-well-known controversy surrounding him over the past decade or so about his being involved in Freemasonry (very heavily, apparently.....it appears he is a Mason of the 33rd degree).....he (or rather his associates) deny it up and down, even though there has been a biographical book about a man (Evangelical) who became "saved" from Freemasonry, who says he saw Billy Graham "greet him as a fellow brother" upon receiving his 33rd degree......he was later advised to remove the explicit reference to his name in this book (which is why the book simply refers to him as "a well-known televangelist")

beewolf

In Thy Light we see Light

« Reply #47 on: June 11, 2005, 07:31:51 PM »

Augustine - I know what you mean about those booklets. I was 'converted' by a fervent Baptist guy - i listened to the gospel and responded, but after that he just left me hanging - no follow up or anything, so i just drifted back into my old life, in some ways worse off than before. It was a wonderful group of patient RCs that actually rescued me from destruction at that time (1974). One church (pentecostal)i knew of which was had the largest numbers in this state were claiming to have 15 - 20 converts per Sunday night service, but then a friend of mine heard from somebody on the inside that 70% of those were leaving after a few months. Its kindof like fast food, the same approach, there is no real depth - i think that if God works in those contexts its more despite of their theology/praxis than because of - i mean he spoke through a donkey once too! I don't mean that judgementally but one has to look at the fruit.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2005, 07:40:36 PM by beewolf » Logged

Gospodi pomiluy
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #48 on: June 11, 2005, 09:07:20 PM »

- Joel Osteen, like Billy Graham, Joyce Meyers, Benny Henn (my favorite) and others are a marketing product that is distributed and brings in big money.

Billy Graham has never been about money. He is not even comparable to Benny Hinn in any sense. Graham is a true man of God.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #49 on: June 11, 2005, 09:17:16 PM »

billy graham is speaking in NYC at the end of june, in one of the parks, free admission. there are billboards everywhere about it. doubt i'll be going because im too busy, but i was surprised to see he's still active and giving talks and such - there's a pic of him on the billboards, i assume from the present, and he is getting pretty old. the pic looked dignified tho...wonder what he's gunna talk about.

hmmmm...
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2005, 09:26:27 PM »

Nowhere, either in the Bible or Tradition (as if the two were separate anyway), does it say anything about "accepting Jesus in your heart"....Salvation is by Baptism, repentance, and the laying on of hands....."accepting Jesus in your heart" is an invention by American Evangelicals of the 1950's an onwards (it does not appear in history any time before that), something Billy Graham had a big hand in.......so Billy Graham, his personal life or whatever moral beliefs aside, preaches lies and doctrines of demons and I encourage everyone to cover their ears upon ever hearing his voice.

Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2005, 11:42:43 PM »

Matthew,

Billy Graham has never been about money. He is not even comparable to Benny Hinn in any sense. Graham is a true man of God.

I don't think anyone implied Billy Graham was an oppulent thief like these other folks (though to be honest, I wouldn't know either way - I don't know what his ministry has him payrolled for); the comparison relates to all of the named preaching pseudo-Christianity.

If Billy Graham is a "true man of God", then "orthodoxy" has nothing to do with such appraisals.  I'm kind of perplexed that you'd say that - being charismatic and popular does not equal "sanctity" or even Godly-wisdom for that matter.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2005, 02:10:23 AM »

Nowhere, either in the Bible or Tradition (as if the two were separate anyway), does it say anything about "accepting Jesus in your heart"

What are you talking about?

That Christ may dwell in your hearts by faith.
EPHESIANS 3:17

Christ in you, the hope of glory.
COLOSSIANS 1:27

Behold, I stand at the door and knock. If anyone hears my voice and opens the door, then I will come in to him, and will dine with him, and he with me.
REVELATION 3:20

But he is a Jew, which is one inwardly; and circumcision is that of the heart, in the spirit, and not in the letter; whose praise is not of men, but of God.
ROMANS 2:29

You shall love the Lord your God. with all your heart, with all your soul, and with all your strength...
MATTHEW 22:37

We must take good care of all of our body parts as we are the temple of the Holy Ghost, we are not our own, we are bought with a price. Jesus died for us so we could be filled with His presence (I Cor. 6:19 & 20).

« Last Edit: June 12, 2005, 02:20:30 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #53 on: June 13, 2005, 06:38:38 PM »

Matthew.....those verses have to do with appropriating the Life of Christ in you through repentance and sanctity of life....they have nothing to do with saying some magical prayer which "infallibly saves you" by "asking Jesus to come into your heart" ....this is another Evangelical heresy

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #54 on: June 14, 2005, 12:39:37 AM »

I wouldn't call it a "magical" cure for sin. Accepting Jesus Christ into one's heart as personal Lord and Savior is an essential to salvation. It is not magical but mystical.
 Deleting Forum Topics.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #55 on: June 14, 2005, 01:22:26 AM »

I wouldn't call it a "magical" cure for sin. Accepting Jesus Christ into one's heart as personal Lord and Savior is an essential to salvation. It is not magical but mystical.
And they stop here, and there is nothing more dangerous than half-truth that deceive the people about their salvation. A person outside the christian faith is in a better position to know the truth, for he might accept the continuous revelations by God and "visits" of the Holy Spirit one day. The steadfast are not in danger, yet the lukewarm are the worst.

The names of the preachers/pastors I mentioned in a previous post are the same product but in many versions that chnaged with time, age, group targeted and with the means available. Billy Graham is the first to realize the potential of such industry, a pioneer, a genius, and many followed. Whether or not he is about money does not take away from the fact that he is a very marketable product, and he is definitely not "non-profit". When it comes to the evangelical teachings, I agree with Augustine's assessment. They are very poor in their thoughts, in knowledge and are void of truth.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2005, 01:26:43 AM »

Billy Graham is not just another charismatic preacher though.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

« Reply #57 on: June 14, 2005, 01:34:58 AM »

Do you mean part of the charismatic movement ? No, he is not, I never saw him heal anybody, but I do not follow him on a regular basis. What I meant is a man of charisma, at least for those who listen to him.

Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #58 on: June 14, 2005, 03:13:57 AM »

I know what you meant and he is more than just bells and whistles. This is a true man of God.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #59 on: July 18, 2005, 11:07:32 PM »

The sad fact is that JOel Osteen and his ilk have spawned a whole generation of imitators down to the local level in your neighborhood. A church in my neighborhood wants its Sunday Mornings to be seeker-sensitive. As a result they have removd crosses from their building. What communism couldn't do, capitalism will.

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
macedonia74
Banned

St. Naum of Ohrid

« Reply #60 on: July 19, 2005, 12:35:54 AM »

My recent post on the topic in the Modern Church Fathers seems apt: "Not many believed in the witness of previous fathers; and this not because the testimony is false but because faith entails ascetic living."

Elder Sophrony

It seems to me that this type of "spirituality" has its root in the divorce of ascetical life from Christianity that began to happen in the West.  This is one of the results of seeing Christianity as a belief system rather than a way of life. 

I think this is probably the best thing I've heard regarding "mega church" pastors. It's not judgemental, yet brings a sad truth to their mission.

"The one who is free can go wherever he wishes to, in the light of the manifested grace. The captured one will be led by the captor, and will at the same time be convinced that he is his own guide" -- Met. Nahum of Strumica
aserb
asinner
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Self Ruled Antiochian Archdiocese

« Reply #61 on: July 19, 2005, 09:38:45 AM »

SO TRUE Macedonia74

Save us o' Son of God, who art risen from the dead, as we sing to thee Alleluia!
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #62 on: March 15, 2011, 12:58:11 PM »

- Does Joel Osteen actually say anything religious of any kind during his sermons ? Sure, he starts with holding the Bible and during the program some verses, unrelated to the subject, appear at the bottom of the screen, but is there any relgious substance in the sermons ? The "be all you can be" and "I believe I can fly" sermons can be carried out by any charismatic speaker and does not need any knowledge.

- Joel Osteen, like Billy Graham, Joyce Meyers, Benny Henn (my favorite) and others are a marketing product that is distributed and brings in big money. The marketing techniques employed to elevate them to stardom is analogous to the tactics used in the making of a rapper or a pop singer. A raw talent, discovered , polished, trained, presented to the public targeting a certain group, and the revenues are shared.

- I do not have sympathy with Joel Osteen or his likes, for they turn away the people from repentence. I feel for the multitudes that follow him. It is sad to see so many people not able to discern the truth and falling for such crap.

Benny Hinn!

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
IsmiLiora
Chronic Exaggerator
Archon

Faith: One step closer!
Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America (GOA)

Back by unpopular demand.

« Reply #63 on: March 15, 2011, 02:35:45 PM »

Ugh, Benny Hinn. I actually bought one of his books after my born again experience, but even then I knew it was such crap. I almost sold it on Amazon before I researched his history. I'm going to burn it one day or just let it sit on my shelf forever. I absolutely refuse to sell it for money (I'll give it away if someone wants the book for research purposes).

My old church LOVED Joel Osteen, Joyce Meyer, Creflo Dollar (what a sketchy name for a televangelist!), Kenneth Copeland. I don't know what God was doing, but even in those days I refused to touch their ministries with a 10 foot pole. One of my mentors wanted to read a Joyce Meyer book with me, and she actually mentioned that she doesn't sin any more! Wow, Joyce! I want your secret!

And Joel Osteen? If you meet a man that never stops smiling, not even for a second, DON'T TRUST HIM. That rule usually works for me. There's a difference between being joyful and looking like you stitched the corners of your mouth to look like that.

Word-faith is a pile of mumbo jumbo and I can't believe that people think that we deserve to be rich. I thank God that I got the courage to leave this kind of church.

She's touring the facility/and picking up slack.
--
"For in much wisdom is much grief, and he who increases knowledge increases sorrow." Ecclesiastes 1:18
--
I once believed in causes too, I had my pointless point of view --
Life went on no matter who was wrong or right
GTAsoldier
Elder

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: God knows what lives in me in place of me....

GTAsoldier
« Reply #64 on: November 19, 2011, 08:50:31 PM »

My father is hooked to Joel Osteen. He's DVR'ed his shows every week for a while now, he even got a DVD and he's getting mail from him too. He's suggesting that I watch him simply over the fact that he's a "motivational speaker". When my father asks me that, I just go "eh-heh" just to finish the conversation with the knowledge that Joel is preaching a gospel that doesn't sound right at all. It sounds spiritually damaging. I haven't watched one program of his and I don't plan to either knowing that he teaches heresy.

Please pray for my pops. +++

If you meet a man that never stops smiling, not even for a second, DON'T TRUST HIM.

Agreed.

I thank God that I got the courage to leave this kind of church.

Blessings be upon you.
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 08:52:13 PM by GTAsoldier » Logged

God be merciful to us sinners.

Quote from: IoanC
the best way of conveying God's love to people is through your own presence and deeds.
No longer posting on this forum. Thanks to all the helpful people who inspired me. God bless.
Volnutt
Archon

Faith: Agnostic/Universalist

« Reply #65 on: November 19, 2011, 08:54:17 PM »

I'll be praying.
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

Goodbye for now, my friend

« Reply #66 on: August 21, 2013, 01:03:04 PM »

Bryan Alverez's  granny likes Osteen, but I do not.

Paradosis ≠ Asteriktos ≠ Justin
Tags: heresy Joel Osteen Word of Faith 
Pages: 1 2 All   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: