OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 15, 2014, 05:55:29 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: This time around - Man held accountable; Woman walks  (Read 1495 times) Average Rating: 0
TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« on: June 07, 2005, 01:27:12 PM »

Double Murder Conviction for Man Who Helped Girlfriend Miscarry

Tuesday, June 07, 2005

LUFKIN, Texas — A 19-year-old accused of causing his teenage girlfriend to miscarry two fetuses by stepping on her stomach was convicted Monday of two counts of murder.

Gerardo Flores received an automatic life sentence because prosecutors did not seek the death penalty, which was available under the state's 2003 fetus protection law.

Erica Basoria, 17, acknowledged asking Flores to help end her pregnancy; she could not be prosecuted because of her legal right to abortion.

The defense contended that Basoria punched herself while Flores was stepping on her, making it impossible to tell who caused the miscarriage.

Basoria told authorities that, after about four months of pregnancy, she regretted not getting an abortion and started jogging and hitting herself to induce a miscarriage. When her efforts failed, she said she asked her boyfriend to help.

Flores did not testify, but earlier told police that he stepped on Basoria's stomach several times during the week before she miscarried.

Prosecutor Art Bauereiss said most of Basoria's family was pleased with the jury's decision. But Basoria, who sobbed as she left the Angelina County Courthouse, had stood by Flores.

"It's just tragedy all around," said Flores' attorney, Ryan Deaton.

Texas law defines an embryo or fetus as an "individual" and allows criminal prosecution or civil action for a preventable injury or death of a fetus. The law exempts health care providers who perform a legal medical procedure, such as an abortion.

« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 01:27:42 PM by TomS » Logged
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 01:50:56 PM »

This is just disgusting, he deserves more than just going to prison. Real justice would be wrapping this punk in some bed sheets and them stomping and hitting him like he did to that baby... :flame: I'm sure it's just a matter of time before all the 'groups' we love to hate come to this guys defense saying he doesn't deserve to do hard time since it was only a fetus he was stomping & beating on... :bang: 
« Last Edit: June 07, 2005, 01:56:27 PM by Nacho » Logged

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 04:00:44 PM »

Double Murder?  Was it twins?  He gets life in prison.  That's fine in my book.  The consensus among among Orthodox is that we should not believe in the Death Penalty, no matter how "just" it may seem.
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 04:48:45 PM »

Erica Basoria, 17, acknowledged asking Flores to help end her pregnancy; she could not be prosecuted because of her legal right to abortion.

Reading this story again the above just strikes me as being very odd. Her legal right to abortion? She asked someone to kill her baby which they deemed illegal.... isn't she an accessory to the crime? So now this is both an act of abortion and murder at the same time? So basically what I infer from the above is that abortion is legalized murder as long as it's the women who does it. Now you could just have any jack@ss stomp on you and that's just fine. Maybe we can have the abortion - brigade folks explain this anomally to us all.... Roll Eyes

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 04:50:56 PM »

the girl's behavior in this just as disgusting - moreso, in my opinion. Sad the entire thing is mind-blowing - they should both get life.

hmmmm...
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2005, 12:20:44 PM »

This is a moronic decision.  Not that the male involved didn't deserve his sentence - but that the "mother" involved walked, was ridiculous.  The logic is also unfathomable - if she can walk because of some right to an abortion, than all he ought to be found guilty of is practicing "medicine" without a licence...because what he was doing was fundamentally no different than what state recognized "doctors" do in abortion clinics every day.

ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2005, 12:57:34 PM »

There definitely was a miscarriage going on, but it wasn't just of the babies... :rolleyes:

I'm really failing to see how he could get charged with two counts of murder and she doesn't get charged with being an accessory to a murder.  That jury must have cognitive dissociation out the wazoo.

However, I am glad that he's not going to be killed for this.  Maybe, God willing, he'll repent.

XPICTOC BOCKPECE!
-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2005, 01:35:36 PM »

This is a moronic decision.  Not that the male involved didn't deserve his sentence - but that the "mother" involved walked, was ridiculous.  The logic is also unfathomable - if she can walk because of some right to an abortion, than all he ought to be found guilty of is practicing "medicine" without a licence...because what he was doing was fundamentally no different than what state recognized "doctors" do in abortion clinics every day.

I agree. The only reason the boyfriend is doing time is because he doesn't have a license to practice medicine.
So basically the boyfriend should only be charged for practicing medicine without a license then.... Roll Eyes I mean afterall, it's her body, her choice right? She should be allowed to do anything she wants. 

There definitely was a miscarriage going on, but it wasn't just of the babies..

Yea, but that's 21st century America for you. Should we still call it home of the brave? We have allowed the enemy within to erode moral decency to the point of no return. The only hope left is the 2nd coming of Christ.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2005, 02:45:06 PM »

Noone has yet answered my question, why two counts and not one?  What's the logic?  Unless it is a mystery to everyone else here as well.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2005, 02:59:29 PM »

Noone has yet answered my question, why two counts and not one?ÂÂ  What's the logic?ÂÂ  Unless it is a mystery to everyone else here as well.

Read the first sentence of the article more closely.
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2005, 04:00:26 PM »

Noone has yet answered my question, why two counts and not one?  What's the logic?  Unless it is a mystery to everyone else here as well.

There is no logic here. Basically the women gets away with murder because it's her body, her choice and the "fetus" had no right being there in the frst place. The only thing she did wrong in the eyes of the law was not handing a liberal doctor a fee to kill her baby in a clinic. So basically it comes down to the abortion racket making their money and they could have also used the dead fetus for all their science projects and cures they are always whining about.. Roll Eyes 

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2005, 04:03:41 PM »

Read the first sentence of the article more closely.

Sorry - didn't see the "two" fetuses.
Michael

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2005, 04:04:34 AM »

Is fetus another transatlantic thing?  I get very confused.

I only just figured out that another thread entitled 06/10/2005 didn't have anything to do with the 6th of October, after spending some time trying to figure out how the title could possibly relate to do with the opening post.  It is my housemate who pointed it out.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: