Author Topic: Any previous Baptist out there?  (Read 6162 times)

Offline wlee4048

Any previous Baptist out there?
« on: February 02, 2015, 07:28:10 PM »
I raised in a Baptist family and father was a preacher.  I find myself looking for a more scared way of worshipping and have been reading about the Orthodox faith.  I am longing to worship in an atmosphere that is conducive to worship rather a rock concert.  I feel drawn to investigate further and the Orthodox faith keeps coming back in my thoughts day and night.

I would like to hear from any out there that have gone through this.  I can't say as of yet I have converted, but I can't help coming back to the realization that I want a holy/sacred way of worshipping my creator.

Your thoughts would be appreciated,

Bill

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
Re: Any previous Baptist out there?
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2015, 07:37:47 PM »
I raised in a Baptist family and father was a preacher.  I find myself looking for a more scared way of worshipping and have been reading about the Orthodox faith.  I am longing to worship in an atmosphere that is conducive to worship rather a rock concert.  I feel drawn to investigate further and the Orthodox faith keeps coming back in my thoughts day and night.

I would like to hear from any out there that have gone through this.  I can't say as of yet I have converted, but I can't help coming back to the realization that I want a holy/sacred way of worshipping my creator.

Bill

I'm in a similar situation, although I'm not "Baptist" per se (my family attends an EFCA church, a denomination that began as an offshoot of Lutheranism but quickly adopted a theology that is Baptist in all but name.) Also, when they conduct missions in other countries, they usually cooperate with Baptist or evangelical churches rather than other kinds.

As Fr. Jonathan Mitchican (who is a High-Church Anglican) has pointed out, virtually all "non-denominational" churches in the United States are, in fact, Baptist, they just don't use that label. The term non-denominational is pretty much a misnomer.

Keep in mind that not all Baptist churches have "rock concert"-style worship, though. At Independent Fundamental Baptist (IFB) churches, you will see things like this and this, instead.
« Last Edit: February 02, 2015, 07:39:40 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2015, 08:19:28 PM »
I grew up Baptist. Both grandfathers Baptist preachers, dad an ordained minister, mom a music minister and/or youth leader (depending on where we were living). When I was growing up, though, "Christian rock" was still a dirty word in large portions of the SBC, though contemporary arrangements could be used so long as guitars were not the primary instruments, said instruments were never seen (only tape tracks, please), and most of the worship service used the old piano and organs - nothing harder than Ray Boltz's "Watch the Lamb", thank you very much, and then only for that "special singer" that always directly preceded  the pastor's sermon.

My search for the sacred, reverence, and attachment to tradition (not to mention the ability to have the occasional beer without being looked down upon) led me to the Episcopalians. That didn't work out that well.
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline Christina

• Troublemaker
  • That's just wrong!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Archdiocese of America
« Reply #3 on: February 03, 2015, 04:19:20 AM »
I started out as a Southern Baptist, but my family left our church when I was a teenager and didn't join another.  As an adult, I visited several Baptist churches, but I found that I disagreed with their doctrine.  While I have a preference for traditional styles of worship, it was primarily correct doctrine that I was looking for when I discovered the Orthodox Church.
"You cursed and lost man!  Instead of enduring pain for a single hour, you have made yourself worthy of eternal torment."  ~St. Christina of Ancyra~

Offline Kostya

• Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Atlanta
« Reply #4 on: February 03, 2015, 04:28:55 AM »
I was raised in the Southern Baptist Convention, although my parents are not hard-line Baptists and do not identify with any theology beyond being vaguely Protestant (although they are both religious and observant). My upbringing in the SBC is what led me to Orthodoxy.

As I became a teenager, I saw it for what it was. I did not like the "worship" (jazzy gospel music with a full band, choir, and orchestra), nor did I like the idea of people memorizing scripture only to give authority to their opinions. I disliked pretty much everything about it, but I didn't know an alternative. I was agnostic through most of my teen years, and got interested in Christianity as an adult. When I discovered Church history and tradition, it was like a hidden treasure hoard. I'm finally on the road to baptism and nothing is going to change that.

My blog-
Madocslanding.wordpress.com

Offline wlee4048

« Reply #5 on: February 03, 2015, 12:10:09 PM »
I don't mind the jazzy Christian music outside of church.  I did grow up with the traditional hymns.  Like many churches, the church I attend something has been lost along the way.  I enjoy the sermons, but yearn for a deeper sense of worship.  I am interested in church history and how Christ was worshipped at the beginning of His church.

To be honest, there are many things about the Orthodox I don't understand, but I seem to always come back trying to learn more.  I have not attended a Liturgy as of yet, but looking to do so in the near future.  Thanks for all the input.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #6 on: February 03, 2015, 12:40:14 PM »
I grew up Independent Baptist and then was Southern Baptist for awhile. I never had the rock concert experience which I am glad for. May God be with you in your journey!  :)
God bless!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2015, 12:44:11 PM »
Was Southern Baptist for a while, but did experience the rock concert only at a non-denominational church.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline wlee4048

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2015, 01:06:45 PM »
Yes, I also grew up Independent Baptist and later went over to the SBC.  Grew up overseas in the Far East where my parents were missionaries.  What took my by surprise was the history of the Baptist church.  Always thought it has been around since the beginning of the church.  Just what I was told and led by blind faith.  Once I started studying I soon realized that I had a lot to learn.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 01:21:24 PM »
Yes, I also grew up Independent Baptist and later went over to the SBC.  Grew up overseas in the Far East where my parents were missionaries.  What took my by surprise was the history of the Baptist church.  Always thought it has been around since the beginning of the church.  Just what I was told and led by blind faith.  Once I started studying I soon realized that I had a lot to learn.

What's really weird is the "Landmark Baptists", who claim that in fact was the original church (and therefore, Landmark Baptists insist that they aren't Protestants, and often vilify Protestantism and the Reformers). Jack Hyles and those affiliated with him are prime examples. They will attempt to claim various groups and sects in the pre-Reformation era (mostly heretical ones) as having been just another name for the Baptist church. Other times, they'll try to claim various other famous people (St. Patrick especially) as having in fact been Baptist. Sometimes, those who are not familiar with Christianity will play along (there've been Chinese tour guides who have described sites in Xi'an, linked to Alopen and ACOTE, as "Baptist". Maybe they just think every Christian who isn't Roman Catholic or Russian Orthodox must be Baptist).

There are several other groups, besides Baptists, that have their own versions of Landmarkism (Oneness Pentecostalism has a number of those who claim unbroken succession, as do some neo-Arian churches including the Two By Twos).
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Kostya

« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 01:27:04 PM »

I was also told during my time at the SBC that Baptists try their best to emulate the worship of the early Church, as they believed it to be, by way of keeping it simple (Music and a sermon), believer's baptism, no sacraments, congregational church government, and so on. Imagine my surprise as a young adult when I did my research and saw otherwise. Baptist/Anabaptist doctrine is an early product of the Protestant "Reformation."

The amazing thing about Orthodoxy is that there are so many roads to it. I was led to the Church in spite of my evangelical upbringing, whereas the late Fr. Peter Gillquist, memory eternal, was led home *because* of his evangelical convictions and the evangelical quest to discover the New Testament Church.

Come home. You won't regret it. :)
My blog-

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 01:28:13 PM »
I don't mind the jazzy Christian music outside of church.  I did grow up with the traditional hymns.  Like many churches, the church I attend something has been lost along the way.  I enjoy the sermons, but yearn for a deeper sense of worship.  I am interested in church history and how Christ was worshipped at the beginning of His church.

To be honest, there are many things about the Orthodox I don't understand, but I seem to always come back trying to learn more.  I have not attended a Liturgy as of yet, but looking to do so in the near future.  Thanks for all the input.

The key word is "outside of church", of course. Orthodox contemporary music exists, as do various folk and metal groups (many from Eastern Europe) with such themes in their lyrics. But they're not insisting on having their own music sung in Liturgy alongside (or instead of) the traditional liturgy.

I'm a bit of an ApologetiX fan myself, partly because they don't take themselves very seriously (being a "Christian parody band" and all that). See, for example this. They aren't Orthodox but one could easily imagine some Orthodox kids doing something similar.

There are some CCM artists, on the other hand, who are very pretentious in the sense that they will claim (or imply) that no one ever worshipped "in spirit or in truth" before the 1960s, and that all forms of worship before then were just dead ritual.

Offline Kostya

« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 01:28:50 PM »

What's really weird is the "Landmark Baptists", who claim that in fact was the original church (and therefore, Landmark Baptists insist that they aren't Protestants, and often vilify Protestantism and the Reformers). Jack Hyles and those affiliated with him are prime examples. They will attempt to claim various groups and sects in the pre-Reformation era (mostly heretical ones) as having been just another name for the Baptist church. Other times, they'll try to claim various other famous people (St. Patrick especially) as having in fact been Baptist. Sometimes, those who are not familiar with Christianity will play along (there've been Chinese tour guides who have described sites in Xi'an, linked to Alopen and ACOTE, as "Baptist". Maybe they just think every Christian who isn't Roman Catholic or Russian Orthodox must be Baptist).

There are several other groups, besides Baptists, that have their own versions of Landmarkism (Oneness Pentecostalism has a number of those who claim unbroken succession, as do some neo-Arian churches including the Two By Twos).

I've even heard fundie Baptists say that the Cathars were true believers, operating outside the "Roman Whore."
My blog-

Offline Kostya

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 01:30:06 PM »

The key word is "outside of church", of course. Orthodox contemporary music exists, as do various folk and metal groups (many from Eastern Europe) with such themes in their lyrics. But they're not insisting on having their own music sung in Liturgy alongside (or instead of) the traditional liturgy.

I'm a bit of an ApologetiX fan myself, partly because they don't take themselves very seriously (being a "Christian parody band" and all that). See, for example this. They aren't Orthodox but one could easily imagine some Orthodox kids doing something similar.

There are some CCM artists, on the other hand, who are very pretentious in the sense that they will claim (or imply) that no one ever worshipped "in spirit or in truth" before the 1960s, and that all forms of worship before then were just dead ritual.

Protestants love to bash their own hymns in favor of CCM. It makes no sense.

By the way, I'm a huge fan of Holy Blood and Oskord.
My blog-

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #14 on: February 04, 2015, 02:49:02 AM »
I raised in a Baptist family and father was a preacher.  I find myself looking for a more scared way of worshipping and have been reading about the Orthodox faith.  I am longing to worship in an atmosphere that is conducive to worship rather a rock concert.  I feel drawn to investigate further and the Orthodox faith keeps coming back in my thoughts day and night.

I would like to hear from any out there that have gone through this.  I can't say as of yet I have converted, but I can't help coming back to the realization that I want a holy/sacred way of worshipping my creator.

Bill
I am a former Baptist from a line of Baptist ministers and deacons, primitive Baptist on one side and fundie/SBC on the other. When I was 16 I had a minister give me a stern lecture for playing an electric guitar near the church.

But at the Baptist college I attended, the whinegasm pop-rock praise thing was not only popular but required in the weekly chapel. It was lame but what could you do?

Haven't been a Baptist for years but I still find myself being the Pharisee on the corner saying, "I thank thee oh God that I am not like them." We've all got issues to work out.

(On the other hand, I still think of country churches and backwoods ranting revivals, deacon's wives getting saved and hymns about blood with some affection.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:02:58 AM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

All hail and agree with AGABUS! the God of this website.

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #15 on: February 04, 2015, 02:59:35 AM »
Much of my early exposure to Christian theology was through the fundamentalist and Baptist varieties, despite being baptized as a Lutheran.

I don't know if that counts. I never really was exposed to Baptist worship.
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline wlee4048

« Reply #16 on: February 04, 2015, 12:01:59 PM »
I don't dislike the CCM, I just would rather listen to it outside of church.  As I grow older I have a desire for a more sacred worship service.  Yes, I grew up Baptist and my father could preach a message that would wake up the dead, but still find myself searching how the earliest Christians worshipped.  There is something drawing me towards the Orthodox faith.  I will put aside these thoughts, but am drawn back wanting to know more.  My prayer is that the Lord will guide me through this journey.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #17 on: February 04, 2015, 12:06:23 PM »
I don't dislike the CCM, I just would rather listen to it outside of church.  As I grow older I have a desire for a more sacred worship service.  Yes, I grew up Baptist and my father could preach a message that would wake up the dead, but still find myself searching how the earliest Christians worshipped.  There is something drawing me towards the Orthodox faith.  I will put aside these thoughts, but am drawn back wanting to know more.  My prayer is that the Lord will guide me through this journey.
Have you been to an Orthodox service yet?
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

Offline wlee4048

« Reply #18 on: February 04, 2015, 12:22:15 PM »
Going to my first service on Sunday. I am anxious and just a little apprehensive to be honest with you.  This is something that is new to me.  Incense, icons, bearded priest, oh my!  Far cry from the Baptist church I attend now.  There are three Orthodox churches in my area and I reached out to all of them.  I received one response for my request for more information

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19 on: February 04, 2015, 12:38:36 PM »
Going to my first service on Sunday. I am anxious and just a little apprehensive to be honest with you.  This is something that is new to me.  Incense, icons, bearded priest, oh my!  Far cry from the Baptist church I attend now.  There are three Orthodox churches in my area and I reached out to all of them.  I received one response for my request for more information
Don't worry. I speak from experience that you will be totally out of your element and have no clue about what is going on. If the parish has had any converts (and most have), they will not be at all suprised by this. My priest even appointed an elderly couple to help me through the liturgy the first time to explain what what going on. I can say with some confidence that is probably not like anything you have experienced before, but for me at least, the holiness and santity that I could feel was absolutely wonderful.  Also, depending on what kind of jurisdiction it is, you might be offered bread at the end. It is ok to take that, but don't go up for Communion.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 12:40:02 PM by TheTrisagion »
God bless!

Offline FormerReformer

• Convertodox of the convertodox
  • Site Supporter
  • Archon
    • Music and Orthodoxy
  • Faith: Convertodox
  • Jurisdiction: Netodoxy
« Reply #20 on: February 04, 2015, 02:57:20 PM »

I am a former Baptist from a line of Baptist ministers and deacons, primitive Baptist on one side and fundie/SBC on the other. When I was 16 I had a minister give me a stern lecture for playing an electric guitar near the church.

But at the Baptist college I attended, the whinegasm pop-rock praise thing was not only popular but required in the weekly chapel. It was lame but what could you do?

Haven't been a Baptist for years but I still find myself being the Pharisee on the corner saying, "I thank thee oh God that I am not like them." We've all got issues to work out.

(On the other hand, I still think of country churches and backwoods ranting revivals, deacon's wives getting saved and hymns about blood with some affection.)

Sing it with me now!

"What can take away my sin?"
"Funny," said Lancelot, "how the people who can't pray say that prayers are not answered, however much the people who can pray say they are."  TH White

Oh, no: I've succumbed to Hyperdoxy!

Offline xOrthodox4Christx

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Catholic Church
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #21 on: February 04, 2015, 03:03:12 PM »
Going to my first service on Sunday. I am anxious and just a little apprehensive to be honest with you.  This is something that is new to me.  Incense, icons, bearded priest, oh my!  Far cry from the Baptist church I attend now.  There are three Orthodox churches in my area and I reached out to all of them.  I received one response for my request for more information

Watch a few services on Youtube and review the Liturgy of John Chrysostom (that is, assuming you're going to a Byzantine Rite Church) before you go, so that you're not completely left out of the loop when you arrive.

I was when I went to my first Divine Liturgy.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 03:04:18 PM by xOrthodox4Christx »
I reject all that I wrote that isn't in accordance with the teachings of the Orthodox Church. Also, my posts reflect my opinions (present or former) and nothing else.

Offline Kostya

« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2015, 03:09:09 PM »

Watch a few services on Youtube and review the Liturgy of John Chrysostom (that is, assuming you're going to a Byzantine Rite Church) before you go, so that you're not completely left out of the loop when you arrive.

I don't know if it's a common practice, but when I first visited, my priest assigned a lay person with guiding me through the liturgy so I didn't do anything wrong. I think this should be normal practice for first-timers.
My blog-

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2015, 03:41:54 PM »

I don't know if it's a common practice, but when I first visited, my priest assigned a lay person with guiding me through the liturgy so I didn't do anything wrong. I think this should be normal practice for first-timers.

We do this at our parish, kind of informally. Visitors are asked by the greeter/usher if they would like someone to guide them through the Liturgy or if they just want to take it all in. Most just want to stand by themselves.
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2015, 04:25:37 PM »
As someone pointed out, virtually all Evangelical and non-denominational Churches in the United States are Baptists in all but name.

That said, I was raised under a Hispanic Catholic background for the first few years of my life. I recall pleasant memories of attending Mass with my grandmother as a toddler sometimes. But then during the late 1990s my parents became non-denominational Evangelicals--which pretty much are Baptists except a bit less hardline--and that was my exposure to Christianity for most of my life.

By the time I was 12 I had kind of found it absurd. I'd always been into history, learning, and such, and so believing in a Church which didn't exist until the Reformation and whose theology is completely manmade kind of put me off to my parents' Christianity as well as to Christianity itself in general. The anti-evolution and culture wars thing also kind of alienated me. I was Christian only in name (mostly because I was afraid to come out as atheist to my parents) up until I was 15 when I discovered Orthodoxy, was fascinated by its history and theology, and knew that I was going to convert after attending my first Vespers.

Word of advice, try attending Vespers before Liturgy. It's more low key, shorter, and you'll feel less weird. But no matter what preparation you make, you will feel weird. But at the same time it will be addicting because you will know that you're home.

I imagine that if your background is anything like mine, your family will blow a gasket when they discover you are converting--if you decide to convert--my advice is to not engage them in argument and polemics but to remain peaceful (as difficult as that is) and invite them to come and see. My family is just barely coming to accept my conversion now that I'm about to be 19 and have been Orthodox for about 3 or 4 years.

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2015, 05:46:32 PM »
Going to my first service on Sunday. I am anxious and just a little apprehensive to be honest with you.  This is something that is new to me.  Incense, icons, bearded priest, oh my!  Far cry from the Baptist church I attend now.  There are three Orthodox churches in my area and I reached out to all of them.  I received one response for my request for more information
Don't worry. I speak from experience that you will be totally out of your element and have no clue about what is going on......
Agreed! But go anyway, it will be well worth it.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2015, 06:07:32 PM »
Don't worry. I speak from experience that you will be totally out of your element and have no clue about what is going on......
Maybe just to enter a minority report here, but even though it was outside my range of church experience I didn’t find Orthodox services THAT baffling when I first start attending. I’d heard so many people talk about how strange it was that I was a little surprised by how natural it all felt in the end. The biggest problem I had early on was attuning my ear to live chant.

Offline Kostya

« Reply #27 on: February 04, 2015, 06:17:07 PM »
Maybe just to enter a minority report here, but even though it was outside my range of church experience I didn’t find Orthodox services THAT baffling when I first start attending. I’d heard so many people talk about how strange it was that I was a little surprised by how natural it all felt in the end. The biggest problem I had early on was attuning my ear to live chant.

I wasn't weirded out by it, but I was in many ways overwhelmed, really just a huge sense of relief that I was finally home.

I also should add that I might have been more at ease due to the fact that I was used to liturgical worship from attending Mass with my friend, and also because my church is more "Western" or "American" in that we have pews, occasional use of an electric organ, and a few other little things.
My blog-

Offline JoeS2

• OC.net guru
  • St. Mark Defender of the true Faith (old CAF guy)
« Reply #28 on: February 04, 2015, 06:54:29 PM »

Only one response, maybe that is not so unusual.......What area of the country do you live in?  Sometimes Orthodox churches are mission parishes and only have part time priests who can handle these things.  I am fortunate to live in a metropolitan area which has a lot of Orthodox churches to chose from.  You may want to Google Orthodox Christian churches in your area to find some that may be close to where you live.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2015, 06:56:13 PM by JoeS2 »

Offline wlee4048

« Reply #29 on: February 04, 2015, 07:24:27 PM »
There are 3 Orthodox churches within driving distance where I live.  I'm not "freaking" out by going to my first service, more anxious/excited than anything.   Thanks for everyone's input.

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2015, 12:26:26 AM »
There are 3 Orthodox churches within driving distance where I live.  I'm not "freaking" out by going to my first service, more anxious/excited than anything.   Thanks for everyone's input.
I get the feeling you'll be fine.

Let us know how it went after you go.

Best regards.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2015, 02:11:21 AM »
Sounds like you must live in Holy Pennsylvania or a nearby state to where the illumination has spread.  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2015, 05:42:21 AM »

Word of advice: don't drag a huge Bible along. You won't need it, and it will just get in the way. And don't clap after the homily or shout "Amen!" When in doubt, stand. In fact, you may wish to wear comfortable shoes as you can be standing for a while. Expect a lot of incense, so if you have any respitory problems or they trigger migraines, you may wish to take that into consideration.

Offline wlee4048

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2015, 11:08:48 AM »
No, don't live in Holy Pennsylvania, I live in Oklahoma!  Not worried about the incense, but do have to admit, not carrying a Bible to church is going to be rather odd.  As far as shouting Amen or clapping, I think I have that part under control.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2015, 11:10:52 AM »

Word of advice: don't drag a huge Bible along. You won't need it, and it will just get in the way. And don't clap after the homily or shout "Amen!" When in doubt, stand. In fact, you may wish to wear comfortable shoes as you can be standing for a while. Expect a lot of incense, so if you have any respitory problems or they trigger migraines, you may wish to take that into consideration.
This would be so awesome if you did, though!  :laugh:
God bless!

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2015, 11:16:44 AM »

This would be so awesome if you did, though!  :laugh:
I've seen it happen, the "Amen" thing anyway.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #36 on: February 05, 2015, 05:52:07 PM »
...but do have to admit, not carrying a Bible to church is going to be rather odd. 

You won't need it. The whole Divine Liturgy is from Holy Scripture.

http://www.scribd.com/doc/36956193/The-Scriptures-in-the-The-Divine-Liturgy#scribd
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #37 on: February 07, 2015, 10:23:30 AM »
i always take my Bible for the liturgy.
sometimes i feel the need to look at the context around the Bible readings, and also it's often useful
during the sermon.
and if anyone wants to discuss spiritual subjects after the liturgy, it's very helpful.
and, one more thing, if i'm going on public transport after, it provides excellent reading material.
(and sometimes starts interesting conversations).

but put it in your bag. don't carry it under you arm like you're trying to impress people with how big your Bible is.
not orthodox...
 ;)

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #38 on: February 07, 2015, 02:14:52 PM »
Although, if you have one that looks like this, it is ok to carry it in procession through the doors.   :laugh:

God bless!

Offline wlee4048

« Reply #39 on: February 07, 2015, 02:33:06 PM »
No, don't think my Bible quite looks like that

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2015, 11:28:06 AM »
and he is joking!
don't take it seriously!

Offline Agabus

• Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2015, 12:28:18 PM »
Hyperdox joke:

How do you tell a Protestant visitor at liturgy?

They brought a Bible.

(The ever wonderful mabsoota, of course, ruins the joke by being pious enough to take a Bible to church, but oh well.)

Offline wlee4048

« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2015, 12:32:40 PM »
Wish I could report that I went to my first service on Sunday, but I did not.  Family came down with the flu.   Spent Sunday at home hacking and wheezing.  Hope to attend a service soon.

Oh, by the way, I can take a joke.  However, I do like the bedazzled Bible!

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
« Reply #43 on: February 09, 2015, 03:02:23 PM »
great (about the joke), was just checking.
lots of people who don't speak good english, or who have social problems (etc.) come on internet sites.

not great (about the 'flu) - may God bless you and heal you.

and sorry to agabus!
but lots of people in my church (born in egypt; orthodox for generations) bring Bibles to church. usually in arabic.
i just copy them...
(but it's true i advertise the orthodox study Bible everywhere i go and discourage less impressive english translation)
 ;)

Offline graphite412

• Catechumen (OCA)
« Reply #44 on: February 09, 2015, 03:55:05 PM »
You might try to attend another service during the week.  My first service was a matins service at around 7am.  After the service I talked to the reader and deacon, who were the only ones besides myself at the service.  We talked for a couple hours.  I think having good one on one conversation is a good way to break the ice and not feel as awkward when it comes to attending the first liturgy at the parish.  I would also recommend attending services at all three parishes.  We are coming up on Lent, which is the time of fasting leading up to Pascha (Orthodox Easter), and there should be an increase of services to be able to attend.  How far are you from South East Missouri?  There are some places there I could recommend attending if they are not too far away.