OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 25, 2014, 09:03:16 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Clerical Celibacy  (Read 1405 times) Average Rating: 0
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« on: June 06, 2005, 10:16:09 AM »

I am having trouble finding out how clerical celibacy came about in the Bishopric and higher.

Some told me the Council of Nicea of which St. Paphnute recommended it, and then canonized it.  However, other sources say the exact opposite, that St. Paphnute, a celibate man himself, was against enforcing celibacy.  In addition, there are no canon (not even the EO later ones) that enforce celibacy as a PREREQUISITE to the Bishopry.

The closest thing I got on the EO side was the Council in Trullo that had a canon that stated that a married priest, if elevated to the Bishopric, should be seperated from his wife, and his wife would go to a convent, or something like that.

How about us OO's?  Since when were all bishops supposed to be celibate?

Xrictoc anecti!

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
aurelia
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2005, 08:48:56 AM »

I also would like to ask, does it count against the man up for the position if he perhaps "sowed some oats" as a youth?  Or dont they get into that as long as from that point on he is celibate??  Just curious.
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2005, 09:04:34 AM »

Mina,

in his book Orthodox Church, +Kalistos says that celibacy of Episkopos  (as a norm) started in 6th or 7th century and that office was open "exclusively" to those with monastic "backround" (as a norm) somewhere in 14th century.

Other than that... I really do not know.

in ICXC
stefan+

Lord have mercy.
minasoliman
Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
Section Moderator
Toumarches

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Archdiocese of North America

Strengthen O Lord the work of Your hands(Is 19:25)

« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2005, 09:32:33 AM »

Hmmm...I wish Bishop Kallistos got into more details, but I guess I'll thoroughly review the 6th and 7th Centuries to find out...in any case, I was trying to look for some sources, but I don't go to St. Vlad's, so if anyone has these, I would really appreciate it.  I'm going to give them in a message I sent to a Greek Bishop, who's probably really busy to reply sooner:

Dear Your Grace,

There's this one article that is very interesting, by Rev. John Behr.  Here's the source:

"Reflections on the Question of Episcopal Celibacy," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 36:1-2 (1992) 141-9.

I also looked up the canons in the Council in Trullo, although EO, yet was interested to read what it has to say.  While one of the canons does seperate a bishop from his wife, it implies that celibacy was not a prerequisite in the Byzantine Church (and Rome at the time) for the Episcopate office.

What intrigues me is that both EO and OO traditions hold that the Bishopric has to have been a monk, or at least celibate before episcopal ordination, but I can't find where this tradition comes from.  Perhaps the strong monastic movements in the early Nicene centuries, but the Council in Trullo, in a way still brings the thought of tradition that episcopal celibacy was required, but celibacy before that was not.

I would also like to look at these:

"The Council in Trullo: Issues Relating to the Marriage of Clergy," Greek Orthodox Theological Review 40 (1995), 183-199
(John H. Erickson)

And the following articles by Most Reverend Peter (L'Huillier)

"Mandatory Celibacy as a Requirement for Episcopacy: The Council 'In Trullo'," Greek Orthodox Theological Review 40 (1995), 213-219

"Reflections on Episcopal Celibacy: A Rejoinder to John Behr," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 36 (1992), 149-151

"Episcopal Celibacy in the Orthodox Tradition," St Vladimir's Theological Quarterly 35 (1991), 271-300

"Clerical Celibacy," Eastern Churches Review 3 (1971), 268-276

And perhaps, by the same author, I would like to look at this one, that my answer my personal question as well that pertains to the Orientals:

"Canonical Traditions of the Orthodox Church and the Oriental Churches," Greek Orthodox Theological Review 16 (1971), 163-172

I know you're probably can't get all these articles, but if you can get at least the first article by Fr. John Behr and Archbishop Peter's reply ("Rejoinder") to that article.

Thank you Your Grace.

Xrictoc anecti!

Mina Soliman

So St. Vlad people, wishing you do all you can to share Grin.

Xrictoc anecti!

PS  Perhaps, the Council in Trullo caused the selection of monks for bishops due to rarely anyone who would seperate himself from his wife.

Vain existence can never exist, for \\\"unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.\\\" (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.
Keble
All-Knowing Grand Wizard of Debunking
Archon

« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2005, 11:34:28 AM »

I also would like to ask, does it count against the man up for the position if he perhaps "sowed some oats" as a youth? Or dont they get into that as long as from that point on he is celibate?? Just curious.

As far as I know, widowers can be made bishops.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #5 on: June 07, 2005, 04:33:25 PM »

Yes, a windowed priest can MOST DEFINATELY be made a bishop.
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #6 on: June 07, 2005, 04:34:01 PM »

oops! LOL A widowed priest. Not a "windowed priest" LOL
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2005, 04:41:20 PM »

oops! LOL A widowed priest. Not a "windowed priest" LOL

I should probably refrain....but I can't

How do you open his windows?  Click on the icons, of course...

(then again he might have an Apple... better stop now)

R,d & h.

Ebor
(N.B. no disrespect is intended, just humour)

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Tags: celibacy priesthood Ordination priests 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: