OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 02, 2014, 03:16:04 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Orthodox Church Takes On Rasputin  (Read 2119 times) Average Rating: 0
Mor Ephrem
"Mor is right, you are wrong."
Section Moderator
Hoplitarches

The Pope Emeritus reading OCNet

« on: February 05, 2003, 03:57:50 PM »

Orthodox Church Takes On Rasputin

By Andrei Zolotov Jr.
Staff Writer  

A heated debate over Russia's first tsar, Ivan the Terrible, and the lecherous mystical healer Grigory Rasputin, who compromised the monarchy in its waning years, is threatening to create a split in the Russian Orthodox Church.

For the full article, click this: http://www.themoscowtimes.com/stories/2003/02/05/003.html

Apolytikion, Tone 1, by Antonis

An eloquent crafter of divine posts
And an inheritor of the line of the Baptist
A righteous son of India
And a new apostle to the internet
O Holy Mor Ephrem,
Intercede for us, that our forum may be saved.

"Mor is a jerk." - kelly
Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2003, 04:50:22 PM »

I sent this article to a Russian freind of mine who lives in America but whose family lives in Moscow where he was brought up.  He also has very clse contacts with the Patriarchate since he travels back and forth evry few weeks.  Here's his reply -

------

Bob,

I can only repeat the words from the article: "The campaign was being driven by a low level of church culture and a large influx of neophytes with a dissident mentality." This is a very true statement. Although I myself do avoid uttering judgment on who Ivan the Terrible and Rasputin were, I think for anybody who has studied the history of Russia without prejudice it would be clear that things are not obvious and there too many skeletons in the closets of both men. It would be nice at least to listen to what the Church has to say about all this. Unfortunately many of those neophytes simply do not understand that, they are looking for sensation, and the dissidents are happy to provide that sensation to the neophytes. They feed of each other.

-----

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Hypo-Ortho
« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2003, 05:46:04 PM »

Even the suggestion that the Russian Orthodox Church glorify as saints personages such as the bloody murderer, Ivan the Terrible, or the scandalous pseudo-monk, Rasputin, is ridiculous.  Behind this scheme there may very well be neophyte, dissident, sectarian anti-Semitic forces within low levels of Russian society with a very definite anti-Semitic agenda, the same kind responsible for the assassination of Priest Alexander Men', of blessed memory, a Jewish convert to Orthodox Christianity in Russia.

Hypo-Ortho
Thomas
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2003, 12:51:05 PM »

Glory to Jesus Christ!

While attempting my best to be non-judgemental is difficult on these issues, here is my best attempt whith a eye to history and the teachings of the Orthdox Church.

Ivan the Terrible , failed to repent of the murder of the Saints---had he repented, he would be able to become a Saint  just as St Paul was able to be Sainted and declared an Apostle upon his repentance.  Regretfully this is not the case with  Tsar Ivan the Terrible.

Gregory Rasputin was neither a monk nor a true startet as is often claimed by those who seek to honor him.  History has shown that he was a member and later a leader in a schismatic group  popular with peasants in the region of Russia that he came from. One of their teachings was that one had to sin (usually sexually)prior to partaking of the Holy Communion so they could truely say they were the chief among sinners. There were many other  bizarre teachings followed by this group that did not meet the beliefs of the Orthodox Christian Church of Russia.  When queried about these by Saint John Of Kronstadt, Rasputin responded in with true Orthodox Teachings and denied that he taught the beliefs mentioned---however it is apparrent that he lied .  St Elizabeth Romanov the New Martyr counseled her sister the Tsarina against Rasputin after having learned of his false teachings to people in Moscow and St. Petersburg.

I am in agreement with the Patrirach's heroic stand against the glorification of these two very questionable people. THe knowledge of whether they are Saints is in the Hands of God in Heaven.

Your brother in Christ ,
Thomas
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: