OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 24, 2014, 08:10:08 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The Bolton Nomination and Kosovo...  (Read 2362 times) Average Rating: 0
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« on: May 27, 2005, 08:16:36 AM »

Writing this to vent my disgust.

As you all know Bolton is Bush's nomination to the UN.  By in large he has had overwhelming support from within the Republican party.  The lone vocal holdout has been Senator Voinovich, who is of Serbian descent (and I believe Orthodox).

Here is what Bolton said about Kosovo...

We ought to be concerned about this so-called right of humanitarian intervention--a right of intervention that is just a gleam in one beholder's eye but looks like flat-out aggression to somebody else. What we did was bomb innocent civilian Serbs into the ground in order that the Albanians can come back and ethnically cleanse the Serbs' relatives out of what's left of Kosovo.

http://presentdanger.irc-online.org/commentary/2005/0503bolton_body.html

Clearly, he has a favorable position towards the Orthodox Serbs and Kosovo as a whole and the lone holdout is none other than a Serb.  Is this shooting yourself in the foot or what?  Orthodox Christians barely have any support in either house and when one of our own won't help, what are we to do?  Moreover, Voinovich is breaking ranks with his party to make this statement/example.

Maybe I'm wrong, could it be the Voinovich is Croatian???

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 08:27:07 AM »

Well I for one hope that Bolton gets in, judging from the quote you produced.

I'm not so sure why you'd be surprised by Voinovich voting against the interests of Serbs and Orthodox, though. This just seems another example of 'Orthodox' American senators voting against the interests of the Orthodox faith. Of course, if he is a Croat that might explain it too.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 08:41:02 AM »

James,

I was fairly certain he is an Orthodox Serb, and I wholeheartedly agree that it is another example of an OC turning their back on the faith, but my question is why?

Why is it so prevalent amongst our own? It is almost as though we are comprised of a bunch of self-haters. :flame: :flame: :flame:
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 08:41:23 AM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 08:48:13 AM »

James,

I was fairly certain he is an Orthodox Serb, and I wholeheartedly agree that it is another example of an OC turning their back on the faith, but my question is why?

Perhaps our member, cleveland, can ask his senator directly. I would surely like to know myself what his real feelings are in this matter - local politics aside.

As to Bolton, well, that quote is impressive.

Demetri

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 09:27:58 AM »

Wow.  I agree!  That quote alone might make me rethink my position on the man!   Shocked

Good for him...

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 09:31:38 AM »

Pedro,

I was pretty suprised myself (when I first read it).  It is about the best thing I've ever read from a someone that could have a lot of influence over international affairs (especially Kosovo).

Kosovo is coming to a crucial point, where the "powers that be" will decider her fate.  I fear that any decision to steal Kosovo away from Serbia, will be the beginning of the end of Orthodoxy on her soil.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Stephen Barrow

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 09:36:41 AM »

Nope. Serbian. He's received the following:

Special Award from the Serbian Orthodox Church in the United States and Canada for Senator Voinovich’s “tireless endeavors to promote and defend truth on behalf of the Serbians and the Orthodox faith; In the public forum of our nation’s capital and throughout the world; Given on the occasion of the grand banquet of the Second Annual Serbian American Leadership Conference.” September 6, 2001

Special Award from the Serbian Unity Congress - “Sincerely and gratefully presented to you in recognition of your steadfast integrity and courage in seeking and speaking the truth.” February 2, 2002

Both are from the following link:

http://voinovich.senate.gov/biography/index.htm

This does still beg the question why. He does not seem to be wishy washy about Kosovo.

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 09:46:19 AM »

Thanks Stephen.  I was pretty confident he was a Serb.

The Seriban Unity Congress just welcomed him as the first Senator to work with the SUC.  I doubt that a Croat would've wanted to.

The fact that he is an Orthodox Serb, makes it even more perplexing.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Schultz
Christian. Guitarist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
Taxiarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Scion of the McKeesport Becks.

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 10:06:10 AM »

What are Voinovich's objections to Bolton? 

"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen
Columba

St. Columba of Iona, pray for us...

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 10:08:29 AM »

I think it boils down to the fact that Bolton is just not a nice person to work for.
PrinceMarko

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 10:42:25 AM »

As a republican and albanian orthodox...I hope the best for bolton, his nomination is secured. Democrats are just wasting time. Its about time someone with rational thought can see that the KLA is a TERRORIST group dictated by the State dept. in the 90's. Nothing has changed, they store arms, sell narcotics, sell women and need to be eradicated.
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 10:53:49 AM »

PrinceMarko,

A republican, Orthodox Albanian AND IN AGREEMENT WITH A SERB!!!  I think the apocalypse is near!!!  Wink

Nice to have you here brother Orthodox.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox

The face of Corporate America

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 11:25:16 AM »

What are Voinovich's objections to Bolton?

They don't like him because he's raised his voice a few times in the past and that somehow makes him have the wrong temperament for the job. What they want is someone who will sit straight up in their chair and say nothing other than, "yes Sir, no Sir." We can't have someone who may be outspoken and shoot from the hip because that may scare off the boys and girls at the UN. The only qualified person for the job has to be a paper-pushing bureaucrat that will overlook the numerous blunders at the UN and when speaking has to have a perfect whispering monotone voice to appease the other sheeple.

In regards to Voinovich, the man was a total disgrace breaking down and crying on the senate floor. This position is not really that important at all in the skeem of all things. When I saw the news clip of him crying I could not believe what I was seeing. Yet another worthless check-pants republican that should be thrown out of office... Roll Eyes
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 11:26:20 AM by Nacho » Logged

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
PrinceMarko

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 11:25:37 AM »

The way i look at it, and pose a retort question to anyone in favor of Kosovo independence is...

1. Would you give the Mexicans in California a referendum to leave the US?

2. Would you give southern Albania a choice to join Greece or leave Albania?

3. How would you feel if the original 13 colonies would leave the Union and join England again?
Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 12:18:09 AM »

They don't like him because he's raised his voice a few times in the past and that somehow makes him have the wrong temperament for the job. What they want is someone who will sit straight up in their chair and say nothing other than, "yes Sir, no Sir." We can't have someone who may be outspoken and shoot from the hip because that may scare off the boys and girls at the UN. The only qualified person for the job has to be a paper-pushing bureaucrat that will overlook the numerous blunders at the UN and when speaking has to have a perfect whispering monotone voice to appease the other sheeple.

In regards to Voinovich, the man was a total disgrace breaking down and crying on the senate floor. This position is not really that important at all in the skeem of all things. When I saw the news clip of him crying I could not believe what I was seeing.  Yet another worthless check-pants republican that should be thrown out of office...

Nacho,

As usual, you make a great point. I whole heartedly agree with you. When I saw him crying on the senate floor I thought to myself "is this guy out of his mind?".I then started laughing because he made such a fool out of himself. Why would he cry like a baby over a nomination? I think that voinovich is off of his rocker; another example of "the enemy within".

Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 01:07:47 AM »

Nacho,

As usual, you make a great point. I whole heartedly agree with you. When I saw him crying on the senate floor I thought to myself "is this guy out of his mind?".I then started laughing because he made such a fool out of himself. Why would he cry like a baby over a nomination? I think that voinovich is off of his rocker; another example of "the enemy within".

Hehe, thanks. I'm glad someone thinks so here. My jaw dropped when I saw that empty suit Voinovich crying like a big baby. I couldn't beleive what I was seeing, but it did provide for a good laugh... Grin He's obviously not cut out for politics, he would probably be much more suited to run a country club seeing he already has the check-pants to go along with it.... Wink 

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 03:13:18 PM »

Dangit!  I watch c-span whenever i'm at my folks' house (I don't have cable).  I watch it on my pc as well.  What the heck!  How did I miss the crying bit?

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to dismiss voinovich for this one decision.  I'm sure he's heard from the SUC.  There are always things we don't know and may never know, even about bolton's position on kosovo. 

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 04:16:28 PM »

Dangit!  I watch c-span whenever i'm at my folks' house (I don't have cable).  I watch it on my pc as well.  What the heck!  How did I miss the crying bit?

I'm not sure it's such a good idea to dismiss voinovich for this one decision.  I'm sure he's heard from the SUC.  There are always things we don't know and may never know, even about bolton's position on kosovo. 

Yea....it was off the hook! Seriously though, any politician that starts crying on the senate floor has to have some mental issues especially something as trivial as an nomination. Geeeez, I don't like the parking arrangement and other things our board at my workplace has made decisions on in the past. Next board meeting I think I'll cry if they do something I don't like........... Roll Eyes

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005, 04:27:08 PM »

Consider this was one of the first political newstories I saw (video of the blubering and all) after spending two months away from all political news.... what a quick reminder that politics here is a giant circus. 
cizinec
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 08:11:21 PM »

Wow!  He was crying about the nomination?Huh?

There's got to be something else going on.  Did somebody shoot his dog, or something?

Bono Vox
The Orthodox Bagpiper
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #20 on: June 01, 2005, 12:05:40 AM »

Wow!  He was crying about the nomination??

There's got to be something else going on.  Did somebody shoot his dog, or something?

Mabey he had a bad day out on the golf course? Mabey his secratary picked up the wrong order of check pants from pennys? Mabey he's sad that france doesn't like this nomination? Who knows.......All I know is that I started laughing out loud when I saw him weeping like a little girl--it was hilarious!!

Bagpiper

Troparion - Tone 1:
O Sebastian, spurning the assemblies of the wicked,You gathered the wise martyrs Who with you cast down the enemy; And standing worthily before the throne of God, You gladden those who cry to you:Glory to him who has strengthened you! Glory to him who has granted you a crown!
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

« Reply #21 on: June 01, 2005, 01:10:55 PM »

Well, looks like it's time for this Ohioan to write a little letter to my former governor and ask him what the hell is going on, especially if he considers himself Serbian.

Regardless, guess who's not getting my vote next time he's up for re-election?

XB!
-Philip.

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
cizinec
High Elder

« Reply #22 on: June 01, 2005, 05:44:07 PM »

Well, while I'm disappointed, I'm more disgusted with Russia.  They sit on the security council, for crying out loud, and they do absolutely nothing to stop the violence against Serbs.  This is just a side show to the main event.  The Russians are standing by, occasionally shaking a finger, and watching the whole thing unfold.

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #23 on: June 02, 2005, 09:12:00 AM »

Cizinec,

Would you get out of my head?Huh

Without disparaging another Orthodox nation, as I have nothing but love for my Russian Orthodox brothers, the Russian political machine has been ONE BIG DISAPPOINTMENT.

So much for protecting their "baby brother" Serbs.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: