i got this from a friend, who in turn got it somewhere on the internet...food for thought...
1. You can't be anything you want to be. Not even if you work hard and put your mind to it. You can be what God made you to be.
2. Perception is not reality. Image is not reality. Reality is reality.
3. You do not deserve a break, a new car, a new house, a massage, a bubble bath, or a vacation. If you are humble, you might deserve the opportunity to do penance. Be thankful for what you have and don't expect more.
4. You are not here for yourself, except to save your own soul. You are here for God and for those he gave you to love.
5. You can't always get what you want, and it's a good thing too. The things you want - some of them, anyway- are probably bad for you.
6. If you want a friend, be a friend to the friendless.
7. Don't go to church expecting to "get something out of it". Go to church to give God the best you have.
8. Most people will let you down at some point. Even the best people. Be prepared.
9. Many people will dislike you for reasons you don't understand. Get used to it, and don't worry about it.
10. Never do anything in secret that you wouldn't want the world to see on the front page of the newspaper in the morning. (Courtesy of Thomas Jefferson.)
11. Love your enemies, for they tell you your faults. (Courtesy of Ben Franklin)
12. The things of God are the only things that really matter.