Author Topic: Insult my mum and you'll get punched... - Pope  (Read 3293 times)

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
Insult my mum and you'll get punched... - Pope
« on: January 15, 2015, 03:46:18 PM »
http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-30838667

Pope Francis has defended the right to freedom of expression but has said it was wrong to provoke others by insulting their religion.
To illustrate his point, the pontiff told journalists on the papal plane his assistant could expect a punch if he ''cursed his mother''.

???

I don't recall Jesus throwing a punch at anyone....
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
Re: Insult my mum and you'll get punched... - Pope
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »

Pope Francis has defended the right to freedom of expression but has said it was wrong to provoke others by insulting their religion.
To illustrate his point, the pontiff told journalists on the papal plane his assistant could expect a punch if he ''cursed his mother''.

???

Well, there was that thing with the bullwhip and the moneychangers in the Temple. That's the one everyone cites when they think aggression is justified. If they don't, they cite something about forgiveness.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2015, 03:56:11 PM »

???

Oh yes I'm sure the Pope punches his assistant all the time. ::) He was making a colorful illustration. I'd much rather read this than the nasty turn our own thread on the recent Paris attacks took, in which posters seemed as a herd to decide blaspheming the Christ is fine.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2015, 04:04:22 PM »
Soooo, I am fully justified to punch any and all who take the Lord's and the Panagia's name in vain!

Cool.  :laugh:
Christ turned the world upside down; and when the world was viewed from such a remarkable perspective, it suddenly made sense -- Fr Andrew Greeley

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 04:08:50 PM »
Soooo, I am fully justified to punch any and all who take the Lord's and the Panagia's name in vain!

Define "fully justified." Anyone who thinks you should laugh along with or just suck up blasphemous attacks on the holy ones is not a good friend of the faith.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 04:10:06 PM »
(Also, there's a difference between cursing someone's mother and saying "Mama mia," but I don't want to overburden your post.)

Offline vorgos

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 04:15:02 PM »

Define "fully justified." Anyone who thinks you should laugh along with or just suck up blasphemous attacks on the holy ones is not a good friend of the faith.

Sorry, I didn't include that last part of his statement...

... because it is only natural!

Sigh!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2015, 04:18:32 PM »
The video of this interview is so funny. 
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Papist

• Patriarch of Pontification
  • Toumarches
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 06:20:02 PM »
I love holy men and women who punch.
"For, by its immensity, the divine substance surpasses every form that our intellect reaches. Thus we are unable to apprehend it by knowing what it is. Yet we are able to have some knowledge of it by knowing what it is not." - St. Thomas Aquinas, Summa contra gentiles, I, 14.

Offline Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • Faith: without works is dead.
  • Jurisdiction: Foolishness to the Greeks
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 07:31:02 PM »

In the spirit of this complaint...

« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:34:36 PM by Agabus »
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Take a breath, read Ecclesiastes 1:9.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 07:31:13 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed at the response.  I don't come after guys with AK's if they diss my mom, let alone my Christ or my Church.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 07:43:19 PM »
I'm a bit disappointed at the response.  I don't come after guys with AK's if they diss my mom, let alone my Christ or my Church.

When you love someone, you just might.

Great response by the Pope. We are all prone to violence, so let's do our best not to inflame each other.

This of course will seen as some endorsement of the attacks by some or not mysterious and ineffable enough by others.

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 07:45:27 PM »
The Pope also slammed religious fundamentalism as an assault on God and man. This reminder not needlessly to offend what is sacred to others merely rounded out the picture.

"Thou shalt not revile the gods, nor curse the ruler of thy people" (Ex. 22:28).

Offline Porter ODoran

• Toumarches
« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2015, 07:47:11 PM »

In the spirit of this complaint...

Well, if you're going to dredge up that part of the thread, I might as well dredge up this part:

Quote from: Apostolic Canon 27
If a bishop, presbyter, or deacon shall strike any of the faithful who have sinned, or of the unbelievers who have done wrong, with the intention of frightening them, we command that he be deposed. For our Lord has by no means taught us to do so, but, on the contrary, when he was smitten he smote not again, when he was reviled he reviled not again, when he suffered he threatened not.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 07:47:32 PM by Porter ODoran »

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2015, 07:47:39 PM »
Surprised no one has mentioned this yet:

Offline RobS

• Protokentarchos
"The business of the Christian is nothing else than to be ever preparing for death (μελεπᾷν ἀποθνήσκειν)."

— Saint Irenaeus of Lyons, Fragment XI

Modernist thinking and being consists of nothing but uncritical acceptance.

Offline Antonis

• Μέγα το Θαύμα!
  • Section Moderator
  • Archon
« Reply #16 on: January 15, 2015, 10:18:29 PM »

Cool.  :laugh:

"And should you hear any one in the public thoroughfare, or in the midst of the forum, blaspheming God; go up to him and rebuke him; and should it be necessary to inflict blows, spare not to do so. Smite him on the face; strike his mouth; sanctify your hand with the blow, and if any should accuse you, and drag you to the place of justice, follow them thither; and when the judge on the bench calls you to account, say boldly that the man blasphemed the King of angels! For if it be necessary to punish those who blaspheme an earthly king, much more so those who insult God."

-St John Chrysostom Homilies on the Statues 1:7
« Last Edit: January 15, 2015, 10:18:38 PM by Antonis »
"This is the one from the beginning, who seemed to be new, yet was found to be ancient and always young, being born in the hearts of the saints."
Letter to Diognetus 11.4

Offline Didyma

• Elder
  • St. Lawrence of Canterbury, pray for us!
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 12:00:12 AM »

That's really familiar, but I can't place the reference! :(
.- -. -.. / --. --- -.. / ... .... .- .-.. .-.. / .-- .. .--. . / .- .-- .- -.-- / .- .-.. .-.. / - . .- .-. ... / ..-. .-. --- -- / - .... . .. .-. / . -.-- . ...

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #18 on: January 16, 2015, 12:22:56 AM »

"Blade Runner," just before Leon (on the left) freaks out and attacks Deckard (played by Harrison Ford). It's an early scene.

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #19 on: January 16, 2015, 01:24:43 AM »

When you love someone, you just might.

Great response by the Pope. We are all prone to violence, so let's do our best not to inflame each other.

This of course will seen as some endorsement of the attacks by some or not mysterious and ineffable enough by others.
The only time I can think an AK is perhaps acceptable in a secular society is when someone I love is in some sort of danger or threat. But coming from a position when some people get killed for insults, I feel the analogy was a poor choice of words, and not appropriate.
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #20 on: January 17, 2015, 10:52:18 PM »

???

Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #21 on: January 17, 2015, 10:52:18 PM »
Punching guy for insulting mother = killing people who drew a cartoon of a long since dead prophet which offended you?

More idiocy from the pope!
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #22 on: January 19, 2015, 12:19:08 AM »
What happens when it's God's Mom? 

Friday, January 9. A man was kneeling in prayer before the statue of the revered Madonna, with the photograph of a loved one in hand, in the small chapel of St. Barnabas in Perugia (Italy), when he was attacked by five “immigrants.”

The first thing they did was rip the photo from his hands.

Next they unleashed their hatred against the image of the Virgin Mary. They broke the statue to pieces and then urinated on it.

http://www.raymondibrahim.com/muslim-persecution-of-christians/italy-muslims-destroy-and-urinate-on-virgin-mary-statue/
http://www.alertadigital.com/2015/01/14/perugia-cinco-inmigrantes-destruyen-una-imagen-de-la-virgen-maria-y-orinan-sobre-los-restos/
I think you can say ~ In the Name of the Father, the Son, and the Holy Spirit and post with charitable and prayerful intentions.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #23 on: January 19, 2015, 01:22:59 AM »

"Blade Runner," just before Leon (on the left) freaks out and attacks Deckard (played by Harrison Ford). It's an early scene.
Not Deckard in that scene, but Holden.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
« Reply #24 on: January 20, 2015, 11:46:33 PM »

I agree completely.  Forgiving instantly is a great Christian virtue.   If one can possibly forgive even while the mother is currently being dissed, that is admirable.   In any case, AK's being used against people is pretty much out of the question for me except in immediate danger of family loss.
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #25 on: January 22, 2015, 11:25:03 AM »
Back when the papacy had large tracts of land, there was once a death penalty. so the fact that popes in the past had no problem with such measures makes me not really care if Pope Francis said he might theoretically punch someone. I just don't see the big deal
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26 on: January 22, 2015, 03:35:18 PM »
Back when the papacy had large tracts of land,
Are you saying the Popes used to have big boobs?
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #27 on: January 22, 2015, 06:59:48 PM »

What on earth are you talking about??  :P >:( >:(
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #28 on: January 22, 2015, 07:02:02 PM »

"Tracts of land" is a slang term popularized by the movie Monty Python and the Holy Grail.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #29 on: January 22, 2015, 07:02:55 PM »

It's too bad Punch isn't on this forum anymore.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #30 on: January 22, 2015, 07:03:57 PM »

Would Jesus have punched Nestorius or Bonosus?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2015, 07:04:34 PM by Minnesotan »

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #31 on: January 22, 2015, 07:31:29 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g3YiPC91QUk :p