Author Topic: Seeking Small/Miniature Lampada  (Read 11021 times)

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Seeking Small/Miniature Lampada
« on: January 14, 2015, 12:54:43 AM »
I am looking for a small lampada to hang in front of an icon of the mystical supper in my dining room. The icon is a decent size, but a "normal" sized lampada is too big for the space. I have on occasion been in people's houses that had a kind of "teacup" or small sized lampada, usually Russian I think, and this is just what I need. Does anyone on here have one I can purchase from them, or can you all post some links to ones available for purchase that are not too gaudy or cheap looking? Thanks for any help.

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
Re: Seeking Small/Miniature Lampada
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2015, 12:58:09 AM »
I am looking for a small lampada to hang in front of an icon of the mystical supper in my dining room. The icon is a decent size, but a "normal" sized lampada is too big for the space. I have on occasion been in people's houses that had a kind of "teacup" or small sized lampada, usually Russian I think, and this is just what I need. Does anyone on here have one I can purchase from them, or can you all post some links to ones available for purchase that are not too gaudy or cheap looking? Thanks for any help.

Many of the ecclesiastical wares which come from Greek suppliers are of quality varying from questionable to unusable. I hear Russian stuff tends to be better-made.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2015, 01:12:59 AM »
Many of the ecclesiastical wares which come from Greek suppliers are of quality varying from questionable to unusable.

Absolutely!  It is sad.

Offline Peacemaker

• No Profile Edits
  • OC.net guru
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2015, 01:49:45 AM »
If you are tight on money; want one right now and don't want to wait for shipping, you could run down to walmart and pick up a drop candle holder, an ornate chain and outdoor plant hook.

« Last Edit: January 14, 2015, 01:50:11 AM by Peacemaker »

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2015, 09:37:23 AM »
Bump

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2015, 09:41:16 AM »
Many of the ecclesiastical wares which come from Greek suppliers are of quality varying from questionable to unusable.

Absolutely!  It is sad.

I've never been disappointed by Panagiotis Nioras' Scent of Byzantium wares (link is to their ebay storefront because it's easier to navigate than their original site). Shipping from Greece takes time, and stuff is not cheap, but there's enough variety that you may find something suitable.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2015, 12:55:13 PM »

Absolutely!  It is sad.

I've never been disappointed by Panagiotis Nioras' Scent of Byzantium wares (link is to their ebay storefront because it's easier to navigate than their original site). Shipping from Greece takes time, and stuff is not cheap, but there's enough variety that you may find something suitable.

Thank you, Arachne!  I have often come across Panagiotis Nioras' ebay site and the main website, but shipping seemed a little high and I had no reference as to the quality of their wares until now.

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.
« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2015, 05:30:46 PM »

These are small, but really expensive:
http://nwbstudios.com/products/vigil_lamps.html

$775!   Wow!  They ARE expensive.

Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2015, 05:37:49 PM »

You can make something similar, albeit less ornate, with materials found in any decent Home Depot.  I have such a lamp hanging in front of the icon in my living room. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline jewish voice

• High Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Still dont know yet
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2015, 05:50:38 PM »

You can make something similar, albeit less ornate, with materials found in any decent Home Depot.  I have such a lamp hanging in front of the icon in my living room. 
you could go into the lamp making business. Sell to people here on oc.net mor

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2015, 06:39:16 PM »
$775 for that?? Even if it were solid sterling silver, that's far too expensive. It isn't even a "cup" shape, which is more difficult to manufacture, it's simply a pressed/stamped strip which has been curved and joined, with fins joined to it to attach the chains. Quite straightforward for a metal shop to make.

You can make something similar, albeit less ornate, with materials found in any decent Home Depot.

Indeed.

The church I attend has twenty-five hanging lamps in the nave. Only three came from church supply outlets. The rest were made over the years from various items, and, in most cases, the finished lamps and their chains were then gold-plated. Most of the lamps over the icons of the iconostasis were made from modified brass bedknobs, which have a "twist" pattern, a couple are made from light galleries. They are simple, but as beautiful as any lamp from a church supplier, and much sturdier. They've served their purpose for more than sixty years, and with simple maintenance, will last indefinitely.
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2015, 07:51:07 PM »

you could go into the lamp making business. Sell to people here on oc.net mor

Genius!
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline Dominika

• Troublesome Sheep
  • Global Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Serbian/Polish
    • My youtube channel
  • Jurisdiction: POC, but my heart belongs to Antioch
« Reply #13 on: January 16, 2015, 12:23:29 PM »

$775!   Wow!  They ARE expensive.

I'm astonished by the price. Last summer I bought in Belgrade a pretty lampada (kandilo in Serbian) as a wedding gift for my Polish Orthodox friends and it was just....  20-25 euros (in Poland it would be much more expensive, for sure). And it was a certificated patriarchal shop. So it's cheaper go to Serbian and buy the stuff than ordering the one above :P

Edit: I've found a link presenting the lamps in very modest prices, but I don't think they're so beautiful and don't know if it may be sent to US http://www.crkveniproizvodi.com/146/Stona-kucna-kandila.html
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 12:25:59 PM by Dominika »
Pray for persecuted Christians, especially in Serbian Kosovo and Raška, Egypt and Syria

My Orthodox liturgical blog "For what eat, while you can fast" in Polish (videos featuring chants in different languages)

Offline 88Devin12

• Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: Antioch
« Reply #14 on: January 16, 2015, 12:58:24 PM »
I have no idea why the lamps in that site are so expensive. I know they make it themselves, and they base it off of historical precedents. But $775 for something like that is really nuts.

I love both the more "modern" gold/bronze lampadas and the iron/bronze ancient ones. But I don't see why the simpler ones based on ancient precedents would cost so much more than the gold/bronze ones that are extremely ornate.

My church has two lampadas for sale in our bookstore, one is for around $65 and the other is $85. Both are far more ornate and complex than that $775 one, and I think they are bronze.

The products I love from New World Byzantine Studios are:

http://nwbstudios.com/chandeliers/byzantine-cross-chandelier.html

http://nwbstudios.com/chandeliers/choros.html

But i have no clue why they should be so expensive, being much more simple than complex bronze/gold ones.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #15 on: January 16, 2015, 01:45:35 PM »
Those lamps are for people with Hyperdox Convertitis.

'You just HAVE to have a lampada in your icon corner for things to be -right-, and you want to be properly Orthodox now don't you?'
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #16 on: January 16, 2015, 03:29:37 PM »
I cheated.

I worry about leaving a lit flame when nobody is home.

So......I got an electric one.

$27

Works like a charm....and I can see my icons even in the dead of night.
« Last Edit: January 16, 2015, 03:29:50 PM by LizaSymonenko »
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #17 on: January 16, 2015, 03:32:01 PM »
I had one of those and lost it.  :(
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #18 on: January 17, 2015, 10:52:18 PM »

'You just HAVE to have a lampada in your icon corner for things to be -right-, and you want to be properly Orthodox now don't you?'

Wait, people with lampadas at home are hyperdox converts?

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
« Reply #19 on: January 19, 2015, 01:18:18 AM »
Having Lampadas at home is nothing.  I collect priests vesrments and liturgical books as a hobby.  I have a full Byzantine set from the Ukraine, several Roman chasubles, a bizarre mitre of Old Believer origin, and am awaiting two vestments from Pulickal Brothers.  I loan and give my vestments away to needy priests in my area, so it's a charitable hobby.  The liturgical books are mine and mine alone, however; I have chosen them to be buried with me for my use in the second life.*  These include a Triodion, Supplement to the Triodion,a. Further supplement, a Pentecostarion, a Festal memaion and a Nassar five pounder on the Byzantine side, a standard a Euchologion and Deacons Service book on the Syriac side, a Euchologion, Agpeya and a beautifully bound collection of Holy Week Services somewhat better arranged than the Triodion on the Coptic side, plus some BCPs, a Tridentine Missal, and the Liturgy of Addai and Mari in English and East Syriac.

*I am not actually a believer in the ancient Egyptian religion and have no wish to be mummified.  However, I will say Id love to write a story about an evil worshipper of the old Gods, perhaps Seth, posing as a Coptic Priest, until he is rooted out by the heroic bishop.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #20 on: January 19, 2015, 01:21:24 AM »

Wait, people with lampadas at home are hyperdox converts?

No. People with 800 dollar ones. That look rather like ones that are not 800 dollars.  ;)
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Alveus Lacuna

• Taxiarches
« Reply #21 on: January 21, 2015, 04:36:47 PM »
Having Lampadas at home is nothing.  I collect priests vesrments and liturgical books as a hobby.  I have a full Byzantine set from the Ukraine, several Roman chasubles, a bizarre mitre of Old Believer origin, and am awaiting two vestments from Pulickal Brothers.  I loan and give my vestments away to needy priests in my area, so it's a charitable hobby.  The liturgical books are mine and mine alone, however; I have chosen them to be buried with me for my use in the second life.*  These include a Triodion, Supplement to the Triodion,a. Further supplement, a Pentecostarion, a Festal memaion and a Nassar five pounder on the Byzantine side, a standard a Euchologion and Deacons Service book on the Syriac side, a Euchologion, Agpeya and a beautifully bound collection of Holy Week Services somewhat better arranged than the Triodion on the Coptic side, plus some BCPs, a Tridentine Missal, and the Liturgy of Addai and Mari in English and East Syriac.

*I am not actually a believer in the ancient Egyptian religion and have no wish to be mummified.  However, I will say Id love to write a story about an evil worshipper of the old Gods, perhaps Seth, posing as a Coptic Priest, until he is rooted out by the heroic bishop.

I'm having a "yikes!" moment...

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #22 on: January 23, 2015, 01:24:55 AM »

Have you heard of Jakub Wędrowycz*?

unfortunately no idea whether books about him were translated into English but it's a good read
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: April 30, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »
Alveus- I don't know if you found what you were looking for but I found this yesterday:

http://m.shopwildthings.com/hacaho3setof.html

It's very simple and the price is good. :P I just ordered two, I'm curious to see them when they get here.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2015, 10:15:23 AM »
Alveus- I don't know if you found what you were looking for but I found this yesterday:

http://m.shopwildthings.com/hacaho3setof.html

It's very simple and the price is good. :P I just ordered two, I'm curious to see them when they get here.

Update, since I finally got around to installing these. I used the hanging candle holders linked above, plus these hooks from Lowe's, and made for myself two lampadas:

All together, each lampada was less than $10 and I'm pretty happy with it.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2015, 01:16:40 PM »
Looks very good!  :angel:
My only weakness is, well, never mind

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #26 on: September 09, 2015, 03:42:19 PM »

Very peaceful and lovely.  Great job!
—St. Isaac of Syria