OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 24, 2014, 05:44:10 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Secret to wedded bliss GÇö saying sorry  (Read 1136 times) Average Rating: 0
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« on: June 02, 2005, 06:12:41 PM »

Secret to wedded bliss — saying sorry

British couple holds record for longest marriage at 80 years

LONDON - A British couple -- the record holders for the world's longest marriage — said on Tuesday their success was down to a glass of whisky, a glass of sherry and the word “sorry.”

Percy and Florence Arrowsmith married on June 1, 1925, and celebrated their 80th anniversary on Wednesday.

The Guinness World Records said on Tuesday the couple held the title for the longest marriage and also for the oldest married couple’s aggregate age.

“I think we’re very blessed,” Florence, 100, told the BBC. “We still love one another, that’s the most important part.”

Asked for their secret, Florence said you must never be afraid to say “sorry.”

“You must never go to sleep bad friends,” she said, while Percy, 105, said his secret to marital bliss was just two words: “yes dear.”

The couple have three children, six grandchildren and nine great-grandchildren and are planning a party soon.

“I like sherry at lunch time and whisky at night and I’m looking forward very much to my party,” Florence said.

Copyright 2005 Reuters Limited. All rights reserved. Republication or redistribution of Reuters content is expressly prohibited without the prior written consent of Reuters.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2005, 06:55:36 PM »

Thank you for posting this, Pedro.

I think that learning to say "I'm sorry."  is a very important step for dealing with much of life.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2005, 07:28:02 PM »

wow whatta great story, even more so because it is true - 100 and 105! God bless them!

hmmmm...
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2005, 08:31:41 PM »

Going on 28 years of BLISS, though the best way to get me is via drink & food...(getting 2 old for the "S").

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2005, 09:52:04 PM »

Going on 28 years of BLISS, though the best way to get me is via drink & food...(getting 2 old for the "S").

james

You're *never* too old for *S*-herry or *S*orry.   Grin

Only 15 years for us, but we married late, maybe.

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #5 on: June 02, 2005, 10:12:32 PM »

Guess that "cooking" sherry barely lasts a day in the house.

james

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2005, 10:19:53 PM »

Grin

How does YES DEAR come about?

Step 1:
Husband smashing his hand onto the table.

Step 2:
Wife stomping her foot into the ground with her hands on her hips.

Step 3: (Husbands words)
Damn it woman.. who's wearing pants in this family?!
I am the head of this house..
I am the....
What?!
Hmmmm..
Not a problem..
YES DEAR!

Grin

Lord have mercy.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: