Author Topic: Meet Britain's first 11-year-old female Bishop  (Read 4354 times)

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
  • One God our Father & Yahshua the Mashiach.
    • One GOD and One Messiah.
  • Faith: Christian Monotheism
  • Jurisdiction: Pro-Conservatism. Anti-liberalism.
Meet Britain's first 11-year-old female Bishop
« on: January 03, 2015, 07:34:36 PM »
Hi all,
"Rebecca Howarth became a 'girl bishop' earlier this month, meaning that she's technically Britain's first ever female bishop. She tells Radhika Sanghani what she wants to achieve in her role"

Read more:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11308839/Meet-Britains-first-11-year-old-female-bishop.html

Church will embrace gay marriage, says Archbishop Welby despite bitter divisions within clergy
Gay marriage becomes legal from tomorrow.
Thousands of ceremonies have been planned across country.
Last month, bishops attempted to ban clergy from marrying same-sex partners, provoking a backlash among Christian supporters of change.
Globally, Anglican Church remains deeply split on the issue.

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2591188/Church-embrace-gay-marriage-says-Archbishop-Welby-despite-bitter-divisions-clergy.html

I am not a sexist or a homophobe by any means, but is it not unBiblical to have women as priests and Bishops and embrace gay marriages?
Church of England seems trying to fit in with a fast progressing society, why do they feel they have to kowtow to pressure from the leftists/liberalists?

If men change the rules of the Bible,then isn't religion becoming man made?I don't think this avant-garde is what the Bible teaches.

God bless.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 07:36:59 PM by andrewlya »
I believe in One God- the Heavenly Father Yahweh-John 17:3,1 Corinthians 8:6
I believe in the Son of the Living God- Yahshua our Messiah-Matthew 16:16

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
Re: Meet Britain's first 11-year-old female Bishop
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:25 PM »
Alhamdulillah, I'm not Anglican.
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2015, 07:42:38 PM »
Andrew, Andrew, adrenalin depletion is going to catch up to you.

According to the article it's an old Christmas tradition in the nature of a prank. Europe is full of such traditions during this season, most of which are ancient.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • Care to join me in a maniacal laughter?
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2015, 08:02:08 PM »

According to the article it's an old Christmas tradition in the nature of a prank. Europe is full of such traditions during this season, most of which are ancient.

For more information, see Lord of Misrule.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox ~

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2015, 08:36:05 PM »
Sigh.  As can be read in the article and in Arachne's link this is just part of a very long history of the "Feast of Fools"/Lord of Misrule etc.  The article has a somewhat tongue-in-cheek tone to my reading.
But some automatically accept that the Anglicans are seriously consecrating children to bishoprics?  No, we don't. 
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Ο προκαθήμενος της Ορθοδοξίας - The President of Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2015, 10:55:37 PM »
But some automatically accept that the Anglicans are seriously consecrating children to bishoprics?  No, we don't. 

But...but...you're Anglicans!
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2015, 11:53:09 PM »

Yes, that is true, and....?    ;)
"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2015, 11:57:11 PM »

You know the whole world has problems because of Anglicans.  Where did terrorism come from?  Anglicans!  And all those alien abductions??? Anglicans!!!
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #8 on: January 04, 2015, 02:27:37 AM »

You know the whole world has problems because of Anglicans.  Where did terrorism come from?  Anglicans!  And all those alien abductions??? Anglicans!!!

Terrorism? - Sherry and knives at tea? or
Alien abductions?! Non Alieni, sed Angli-cani (in mangled Latin, I know)
 ;D  (I don't think that there's a photo of the "Aliens" chap with with a BCP anywhere )

Nay, I deny all these accusations with an addition of "Citation needed" 

;)

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me Sts. Mina & Kyrillos for my interviews
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #9 on: January 04, 2015, 03:40:57 AM »

Can't get a better citation than this  ;) ;D
Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #10 on: January 04, 2015, 04:03:19 AM »
From a site about Christmas in Tudor times:

Tudor Christmas had a definite purpose. Because society was very strictly organised it acted as a pressure release, a time when everything was turned on its head, the world turned inside out and upside down. Certain sections of society were even allowed an unusual degree of freedom.

For example in ecclesiastical communities the tradition of the boy bishop was practiced. A choir or alter boy would be elected for a short period either on 6th December (St Nicholas Day) or 28th December (Holy Innocents Day) with the idea being that it showed the boys the honor and dignity of holy orders. He would lead the community and carry out all the duties of the Bishop except taking mass, this would include preaching a sermon and going round to visit parishioners to sing to them along with other choristers.

It was banned in 1541 because it was seen as mocking the church authorities and by implication the head of the church who of course was Henry VIII. However the practice possibly dates back to the 10th century and never completely died out. The tradition is still continued at Hereford, Gloucester, Westminster (RC) and Salisbury cathedrals to this day.

http://www.localhistories.org/tudorxmas.html

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #11 on: January 04, 2015, 09:17:05 AM »

Oh no, we've been found out!

At least no-one has realised we're to blame for global warming as well.... ;)

Offline TomTorbeyns

« Reply #12 on: January 04, 2015, 09:20:01 AM »
Hi all,
"Rebecca Howarth became a 'girl bishop' earlier this month, meaning that she's technically Britain's first ever female bishop. She tells Radhika Sanghani what she wants to achieve in her role"

Read more:
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/women/womens-life/11308839/Meet-Britains-first-11-year-old-female-bishop.html

Church will embrace gay marriage, says Archbishop Welby despite bitter divisions within clergy
Gay marriage becomes legal from tomorrow.
Thousands of ceremonies have been planned across country.
Last month, bishops attempted to ban clergy from marrying same-sex partners, provoking a backlash among Christian supporters of change.
Globally, Anglican Church remains deeply split on the issue.

Read more:
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2591188/Church-embrace-gay-marriage-says-Archbishop-Welby-despite-bitter-divisions-clergy.html

I am not a sexist or a homophobe by any means, but is it not unBiblical to have women as priests and Bishops and embrace gay marriages?
Church of England seems trying to fit in with a fast progressing society, why do they feel they have to kowtow to pressure from the leftists/liberalists?

If men change the rules of the Bible,then isn't religion becoming man made?I don't think this avant-garde is what the Bible teaches.

God bless.

I believe you are totally correct on these things! :-)

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #13 on: January 04, 2015, 09:45:51 AM »

Porter, my brother. You love my topics you have almost commented in every one of them ;)

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #14 on: January 04, 2015, 09:49:43 AM »

On a serious note, my point in this topic is that Anglicans, or perhaps majority of Protestants, keep changing the Bible to suit the rapidly progressing modern society. That includes a new rule allowing women to become Bishops, which is unBiblical of course.And when this girl is older,and if she decides to, she will be able to become a proper Bishop. This change is probably one of many more to come. I am against any changes of the rules set by God to please men on earth.

We should please God, not the society.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 10:02:13 AM by andrewlya »

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2015, 10:41:21 AM »
There is some "True Catacomb Whatever Orthodox" Church  in Russia that has a bishop "consecrated" at 15, maybe younger.

And IIRC the current youngest Orthodox bishop was consecrated at 21 or 22.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2015, 11:36:54 AM »

Can't get a better citation than this  ;) ;D

Thank you for taking the trouble to do this.   :D
(But not convinced.  And why would Anglicans be doing any abducting in the first place?)

Offline Ebor

• Vanyar
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2015, 11:38:26 AM »

Oh no, we've been found out!

At least no-one has realised we're to blame for global warming as well.... ;)

How are we responsible that that?  Not every parish uses incense to make clouds to add to the atmospheric layers.  ;D

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2015, 12:02:26 PM »
Rot.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2015, 12:30:00 PM »
There is another one I have heard on radio this afternoon:

Church of England to 'legalise' suicide in historic U-turn on funerals

Clergy now regard suicide with far more sympathy than before
    But some critics within the Church say the reforms will ‘legalise’ suicide
    It is illegal for clergy to use official funeral services to bury suicide victims
    But no alternative services have ever been approved by Synod

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2895832/Church-England-legalise-suicide-historic-U-turn-funerals-regard-taking-life-sin.html

Ok, maybe we all should be this one is alright, since it is not up to us to judge how we should judge the ones who committed suicide and what service we should give them.

My point is that Church of England seems to be re-writing the original rules of Christianity, modernising them...

Seriously, why do they have to 'legaliase ' and ' make u-turns' on rules that have been set by early Christians or set by the word of God in the Bible...
There is one thing that Catholics could change is celibacy since Bible does't impose celibacy on priests.Correct me if I am wrong.

Anything else that is not in the Bible should not be added or taken out of it.

Like I said if men start changing the rules of the Bible it becomes man made religion.Simple as.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 12:37:34 PM by andrewlya »

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2015, 12:30:29 PM »

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2015, 01:20:04 PM »
Rot.
Elaborate,please.

St. Isaac the Syrian comes to mind.
There are admonitions for useless talk and prattle, time wasters, and rot such as this.
While I enjoy 'tickling the ears' I thought this to be humor.
But it is merely  rot.
Not complicated nor need much more elaboration.
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 03:07:38 PM »
My point is that Church of England seems to be re-writing the original rules of Christianity, modernising them...

Seriously, why do they have to 'legaliase ' and ' make u-turns' on rules that have been set by early Christians or set by the word of God in the Bible...

No offence, but that's rich coming from an Arian. 
Mor Ephrem is a nice guy.  Just say sorry and it will all be ok. Say I had things that were inside troubling me but I didn't know how to express appropriately. I will not behave that way again but I am seeking help.

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 03:41:00 PM »
So you guys agree with the way COE keep changing rules to accomodate society's needs?

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 03:55:24 PM »
So you guys agree with the way COE keep changing rules to accomodate society's needs?

I take no position in this thread on whether or not it is appropriate to offer funerals for those who have committed suicide.  I just think it's funny to read you write that the Church of England is "making u-turns on rules that have been set by early Christians" and yet you believe Jesus is a created being.  At that point, why would you care what the Church of England does?  I certainly wouldn't.   

Offline andrewlya

• OC.net guru
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 04:34:02 PM »

I take no position in this thread on whether or not it is appropriate to offer funerals for those who have committed suicide.  I just think it's funny to read you write that the Church of England is "making u-turns on rules that have been set by early Christians" and yet you believe Jesus is a created being.  At that point, why would you care what the Church of England does?  I certainly wouldn't.   
Because it's a forum and we debate on issues that one may rise.And that one of the issues I wanted to discuss.

Offline mike

• A sexual pervert with limited English reading comprehension
  • Protostrator
  • Polish Laser Jesus shooting down schismatics
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Białystok and Gdańsk
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »

It's their choice. I'm not an Anglican so I have no business in telling them what shall they believe in. Wonder how so many people do not get it.
Hyperdox Herman, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - fb, Eastern Orthodox Christian News - tt

Quis custodiet ipsos custodes? Who can watch the watchmen?
"No one is paying attention to your post reports"
Why do posters that claim to have me blocked keep sending me pms and responding to my posts? That makes no sense.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
  • Faith: GOAA
  • Jurisdiction: Antonis said I'm not Christian, so...
« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 04:58:37 PM »

No, I don't think that's what they meant.

I guess you missed the explanation about the local folk tradition, which pretends that the child is a 'bishop' as a kind of joke for New Year's.

In any case, the Orthodox and the Anglicans are two different churches. We aren't under their administration.
My only weakness is, well, never mind

He said he had a horrible house
I looked in it and learnt to shut my mouth

Come back my dream into my arms, into my arms