Author Topic: Biblical Courtship  (Read 3490 times)

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
Biblical Courtship
« on: January 02, 2015, 12:35:15 PM »
Kelly was asking me what biblical courtship was in another thread.

Biblical Courtship is a term used to describe a morally based courtship between a man and a woman.   Casual dating is typically not practiced but rather a courtship with the goal of marriage in mind.

So "hooking up" and running to a restaurant is not a typical practice.

What is "typical" is the following.

Families will know each other for years in a church environment or between sister churches.
A young man who knows a young woman in this environment will spark an interest in the young woman.
He will muster up the courage to approach the young woman's dad, and ask if he may court his daughter.
The dad will know the family, know their values, and will approach his daughter with this interest (if he approves).
If his daughter approves, then the dad will tell the young man that he may court his daughter.

Courtship would usually first begin by the young man coming to the home of the daughter's family and having supper with them.   Perhaps this will happen 2-3 times.

If things progress, typically the young man will then be allowed to drive home the young lady from church to the parent's house.

He will also be allowed to pick her up and bring her to his family's house.

There is not a definite, but varying work would often be done by the young man for the young woman.  He would begin through time to "incorporate" into her life (as things progress).  

Please remember the entire time there is a hands off policy, but often a squeeze of the hand many happen at "hellos and goodbyes".  No kissing, making out, hugging, or anything else such as that.

Anyhow when things get serious they will approach the parents with the desire to be married, and if the parents approve, they will all approach the church.

Then they would be married.

It's mostly a way to keep the process of becoming married more pure.  It's the intent to find a spouse, rather than dating for friends "and see where it goes".   This is NOT entirely a Mennonite practice, but many conservative Christians do this as well.   Many Mennonites do it in this way, some do not.   (Old order Amish is very funky and I can't speak for them)   There is a growing amount of families using this type of courtship.

It keeps things much more pure.

If the young lady dislikes the young man at any time during any event, the courtship can be called off, or if the young man dislikes the courtship at any time, it may be called off too.  (if there are quirks, incompatibility, or somebody picks boogers.... who knows? - If it just doesn't work).  With hands off, there are no regrets.  The young lady or man remains pure for their future spouse.  

Purity & virginity at marriage is a biblically based concept.  Biblical courtship derives concepts of Judeo-Christian examples and places a modern (for our time) spin on things.   The young man approaching the father for instance would be a Jewish tradition.   The courting process itself is also beautiful as the couple (if married) literally would be compatible with each other and each others families.  

Like anything else, it's not perfect, but it's very good and keeps things "honest/pure".   It's not based in this "rigidity" and there are other situations.  But this is the general concept.  For older single adults things are a bit different but generally keep the same types of things going on.   Meet with family.  Meet at church.  Rides home.  Typically destinations would be with others in that person's life.  

While not perfect it seems far better than waking up in a hungover state not knowing who that person is next to you and wondering if you should take the walk of shame home.   OR, to put it not so extremely, a dating couple (long term) who fornicates and it complicates everything and they break up.  Pregnancy complications/concerns, etc.

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:35:28 PM by yeshuaisiam »
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Pope Pius XIII, play for us!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
Re: Biblical Courtship
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2015, 12:49:02 PM »
Biblical courtship derives concepts of Judeo-Christian examples and places a modern (for our time) spin on things.  

Sounds like another "tradition of men" to me.   
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

The whole forum is Mor. We're emanations of his godlike mind.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2015, 12:53:05 PM »
Biblical courtship derives concepts of Judeo-Christian examples and places a modern (for our time) spin on things.  

Yes.  It's not a theology thing.   It's more taken as a common sense way to apply morality in courtship.  It's a term "Biblical Courtship".   It's a "thing that is done" not a "thing of worship".

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
  • St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2015, 12:53:11 PM »
Are there forums of people who want to learn your ways, Yesh? Join your one-man revival of Jacob toiling for Rachel (oops, Leah) seven years?
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2015, 12:54:24 PM »
Are there forums of people who want to learn your ways, Yesh? Join your one-man revival of Jacob toiling for Rachel (oops, Leah) seven years?
Kelly asked, I answered.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2015, 12:56:41 PM »

Yes.  It's not a theology thing.   It's more taken as a common sense way to apply morality in courtship.  It's a term "Biblical Courtship".   It's a "thing that is done" not a "thing of worship".

Then why call it "biblical"?  What is biblical about the "typical" structure you outlined? 
The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2015, 12:56:46 PM »
What makes it biblical?

Edit- get out of my head, Mor!!!
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 12:57:19 PM by kelly »
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2015, 12:57:36 PM »

I would've probably killed Laban.  If the Rachel involved was Rachel Weisz, I would've definitely killed him.  Just saying.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2015, 12:57:56 PM »
What makes it biblical?

Edit- get out of my head, Mor!!!

;)

Offline Schultz

• Christian. Guitarist. Scooterist. Zymurgist. Librarian.
  • Taxiarches
  • Scion of the McKeesport Becks.
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2015, 12:58:45 PM »

I would've probably killed Laban.  If the Rachel involved was Rachel Weisz, I would've definitely killed him.  Just saying.

You probably got those ideas from that satanic Shakespeare fellow.
"Hearing a nun's confession is like being stoned to death with popcorn." --Abp. Fulton Sheen

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2015, 12:59:19 PM »
The idea that there's a biblical anything is usually worthy of a snake-oil salesman. Eat the biblical diet! Rise to be a biblical CEO! The fact of the matter is that "biblical times" would cover, what, fifty centuries and as many cultures on two or three continents? Should we buy women, work for women, steal women (Benjamites), marry sisters (Abraham), marry cousins (Rebecca), marry prisoners-of-war? Or which of the two civil Roman marriages is the better one? This is a handful of the possibilities that must have arisen in fifty centuries over two continents.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2015, 01:00:08 PM »
Families will know each other for years in a church environment or between sister churches.
A young man who knows a young woman in this environment will spark an interest in the young woman.
He will muster up the courage to approach the young woman's dad, and ask if he may court his daughter.
The dad will know the family, know their values, and will approach his daughter with this interest (if he approves).
If his daughter approves, then the dad will tell the young man that he may court his daughter.

[...]

Anyhow when things get serious they will approach the parents with the desire to be married, and if the parents approve, they will all approach the church.

Then they would be married.

At which point do you have to show up with the goats?

Rise to be a biblical CEO!

It would be great to work for one. You show up at the last day of the month and get paid in full.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 01:01:28 PM by Cyrillic »

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • You don't need global warming to drown in books.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 01:06:21 PM »
Should we buy women, work for women, steal women (Benjamites), marry sisters (Abraham), marry cousins (Rebecca), marry prisoners-of-war?

Just rape them and knock them up.

Also, you forgot slave concubines.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Cyrillic

• Laser Basileus.
  • Toumarches
  • St. Theodoret of Cyrrhus, pray for us!
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Finland
« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 01:07:10 PM »
Should we buy women, work for women, steal women (Benjamites), marry sisters (Abraham), marry cousins (Rebecca), marry prisoners-of-war?

Also, you forgot slave concubines.

And marrying prostitutes.

Offline Fabio Leite

• Protokentarchos
    • Vida Ortodoxa
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 01:11:22 PM »
It only works where and if there is a huge set of nurturing, healthy and structured families.

Not even an immaginable starting point for most people I know.
Many Energies, 3 Persons, 2 Natures, 1 God, 1 Church, 1 Baptism, and 1 Cup. The Son begotten only from the Father, the Spirit proceeding only from the Father, Each glorifying the Other. The Son sends the Spirit, the Spirit Reveals the Son, the Father is seen in the Son. The Spirit spoke through the Prophets and Fathers and does so even today.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2015, 01:14:33 PM »
It only works where and if there is a huge set of nurturing, healthy and structured families.

No, it doesn't work.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 01:37:10 PM »

Then why call it "biblical"?  What is biblical about the "typical" structure you outlined? 

Mor I didn't make this up.  It's a term used.  She asked, I answered from what I've seen from experience.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Biblical_courtship

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 01:39:00 PM »

Mor I didn't make this up.  It's a term used.  She asked, I answered from what I've seen from experience.

What is the scriptural basis for it?
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: January 02, 2015, 01:40:21 PM »

I agree.

Interesting within many Mennonite families I know where this is practiced, huge, nurturing, and healthy families exist.  This doesn't make them perfect.

Also these families exist in many conservative Christians.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #19 on: January 02, 2015, 01:42:24 PM »

I shouldn't have to explain it all for you.  I didn't make it up.  There are several places where scripture would support this.   Read the link, open your bible, and you'll see many biblical things applied for the process.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #20 on: January 02, 2015, 01:43:09 PM »

I shouldn't have to explain it all for you.  I didn't make it up.  There are several places where scripture would support this.   Read the link, open your bible, and you'll see many biblical things applied for the process.

Forget it, why did I think I'd get an answer from you.

I did read the link.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #21 on: January 02, 2015, 01:44:43 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

Yep, and the Anabaptist divorce rate is 2%.  ::)

ZERO divorces in my wife's church.  ZERO divorces in the Beachy church in Lott, TX.

Offline Theophania

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #22 on: January 02, 2015, 01:47:20 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

ZERO divorces in my wife's church.  ZERO divorces in the Beachy church in Lott, TX.

Would they even be allowed to divorce?

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: January 02, 2015, 01:48:16 PM »

Forget it, why did I think I'd get an answer from you.

I did read the link.

You have to read your bible too.

Things like (from link)
The maintenance of sexual purity.
The bible speaks against fornication.

From link
The guardianship responsibility of fathers over single daughters.
The bible speaks of this as well.

From link
Establishing physical boundaries
This is to help prevent sexual immorality and to maintain purity, which is biblical.

Kelly, it's a term used to describe a courtship, rather than casual dating.  I didn't make it up.  

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #24 on: January 02, 2015, 01:48:42 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

YES.

But not re-married.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #25 on: January 02, 2015, 01:52:19 PM »
The idea that there's a biblical anything is usually worthy of a snake-oil salesman. Eat the biblical diet! Rise to be a biblical CEO! The fact of the matter is that "biblical times" would cover, what, fifty centuries and as many cultures on two or three continents? Should we buy women, work for women, steal women (Benjamites), marry sisters (Abraham), marry cousins (Rebecca), marry prisoners-of-war? Or which of the two civil Roman marriages is the better one? This is a handful of the possibilities that must have arisen in fifty centuries over two continents.

This is the foundation of your faith, the stories as such.   Your religion stems from all of this.  The concept of Biblical courtship (a term) isn't entirely about these things, but is mostly guided in the New Testament.

You may not like it, but these things exist in the bible.  I can't do anything about that for you.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
  • This place holds to nothing....
  • Faith: Does it matter?
  • Jurisdiction: Unverifiable, so irrelevant
« Reply #26 on: January 02, 2015, 01:56:03 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

YES.

But not re-married.

I come from a societal group where there are ZERO allowable divorces too.

Big whoop-dee-doo   

All that means is that there are people who realize the social repercussions for a divorce and so they instead remain married...often times being verbally abused, or subjected to their partner's bad life choices. 

I personally know people who have had to live with alcoholic partners, who drove the family into poverty.....or abused their wives ...but look ma, no divorce.

But hey....mennonites never have any societal problems....so that wouldn't happen to them.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27 on: January 02, 2015, 01:58:14 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

And they traditionally do nothing like "biblical courtship." Your circles are reactionary wack-jobs that are already in their last stages. Perhaps you've heard of

https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/
http://hsinvisiblechildren.org/
http://www.quiveringdaughters.com/
http://www.responsiblehomeschooling.org/

Everyone on whom you inflict your threads should avail themselves of these links and their eye-opening information.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #28 on: January 02, 2015, 01:59:17 PM »

This is the foundation of your faith, the stories as such.   Your religion stems from all of this.  The concept of Biblical courtship (a term) isn't entirely about these things, but is mostly guided in the New Testament.

You may not like it, but these things exist in the bible.  I can't do anything about that for you.

No, it's the non-foundation of your non-faith. My trust is founded on the Church and the Holy Spirit of her Head the Logos.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #29 on: January 02, 2015, 02:07:37 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

And they traditionally do nothing like "biblical courtship." Your circles are reactionary wack-jobs that are already in their last stages. Perhaps you've heard of

Everyone on whom you inflict your threads should avail themselves of these links and their eye-opening information.

So says you, who's church allows adulterous re-marriage and has a 14% divorce rate.

"You will know them by their fruits".

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #30 on: January 02, 2015, 02:08:13 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

YES.

But not re-married.

Big whoop-dee-doo   

All that means is that there are people who realize the social repercussions for a divorce and so they instead remain married...often times being verbally abused, or subjected to their partner's bad life choices. 

I personally know people who have had to live with alcoholic partners, who drove the family into poverty.....or abused their wives ...but look ma, no divorce.

But hey....mennonites never have any societal problems....so that wouldn't happen to them.

The difference is Divorce IS allowed in Mennonite churches.  Re-marriage is not.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #31 on: January 02, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

YES.

But not re-married.

Big whoop-dee-doo   

The difference is Divorce IS allowed in Mennonite churches.  Re-marriage is not.

So they can divorce and lead a life of basic uninclusion in the mainstream events of their society......sounds enticing.
All opinions expressed by myself are quite tragically my own, and not those of any other poster or wall hangings.

Offline Porter ODoran

• PHILIA NIKA
  • Toumarches
« Reply #32 on: January 02, 2015, 02:13:46 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

So says you, who's church allows adulterous re-marriage and has a 14% divorce rate.

You will know them by their fruits indeed.

Let me say more about some of the links.

This one is a group of people who were homeschooled and report on the abuses: https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/
This one tracks homeschool abuse of a kind that required law enforcement to intervene -- child deaths among them: http://hsinvisiblechildren.org/
This one is by and for the female survivors of "biblical courtship": http://www.quiveringdaughters.com/

The fact is that your compulsive attempts here, for reasons only you understand, to try to win converts is an invitation for others to join a pernicious movement with vicious ends.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #33 on: January 02, 2015, 02:14:39 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

Porter you are hate filled and awful.  The bias stinks!

http://kingsbloomingrose.com/  - What a quivering daughter!
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/23/successful-home-school-alum_n_3806317.html
http://preview.tinyurl.com/nzzbtel - A bunch of "oppressed" homeschoolers

While you think you are brilliant and have all the answers, it is very apparent to me you cast a blind eye to what homeschooling is.

May I ask, do you have a wife and children?  If so, what is the way you educate them?
 Yesh, you've been with us for quite some time.  You know better than to use ad hominems. I'm issuing you a warning for 10 days.

God bless.

Mina

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #34 on: January 02, 2015, 02:16:26 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

You will know them by their fruits indeed.

Let me say more about some of the links.

This one is a group of people who were homeschooled and report on the abuses: https://homeschoolersanonymous.wordpress.com/
This one tracks homeschool abuse of a kind that required law enforcement to intervene -- child deaths among them: http://hsinvisiblechildren.org/
This one is by and for the female survivors of "biblical courtship": http://www.quiveringdaughters.com/

The fact is that your compulsive attempts here, for reasons only you understand, to try to win converts is an invitation for others to join a pernicious movement with vicious ends.

So oppressed Porter.  Nice bias.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8FGhZ6HIRWo

« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:16:46 PM by yeshuaisiam »

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #35 on: January 02, 2015, 02:16:46 PM »
May I ask, do you have a wife and children?  If so, what is the way you educate them?

:o
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #36 on: January 02, 2015, 02:17:33 PM »

Well he's ready to critique how I educate my children.  I'd like to know how he educates his.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #37 on: January 02, 2015, 02:18:46 PM »

No, it doesn't work.

YES.

But not re-married.

Big whoop-dee-doo   

So they can divorce and lead a life of basic uninclusion in the mainstream events of their society......sounds enticing.

Wrong, they can divorce but not re-marry.

Offline ZealousZeal

• Cosmic Knowledge Fish
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #38 on: January 02, 2015, 02:19:51 PM »

Well he's ready to critique how I educate my children.  I'd like to know how he educates his.

It sounds like you're asking him how he educates his wife and children.
You want your belt to buckle, not your chair.

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #39 on: January 02, 2015, 02:20:24 PM »

We are all ready to critique how you educate your children.

for one simple reason.

You keep bringing it here and telling US what to do, that we are wrong and you have it right.

If you honestly do not want this, then stop popping in with your 'here is the way to be'  stuff.....and go live your life in peace.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #40 on: January 02, 2015, 02:20:34 PM »

It sounds like you're asking him how he educates his wife and children.
*Children.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #41 on: January 02, 2015, 02:21:09 PM »

for one simple reason.

You keep bringing it here and telling US what to do, that we are wrong and you have it right.

If you honestly do not want this, then stop popping in with your 'here is the way to be'  stuff.....and go live your life in peace.

How do you educate your children?

Offline CrystalMind

• Faith: Catechumen
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #42 on: January 02, 2015, 02:21:54 PM »
I heard a lot about "Biblical Courtship" when I was little. In my experience:

• Executed properly, these tend to be good matches... albeit rare.
  • This practice is deeply reliant on a very specific context which includes both family/church support and individual support from the parties involved.
  • The context in which these cases most commonly occur also creates the opportunity for certain familial abuse of power.
  • Calling it 'Biblical Courtship' is a blatant appeal to buzzwords targeting conservative Protestant Christianity ("Biblical") and those wishing for a simpler time / "The Good Old Days" ("Courtship"). Truly, marketing at it's finest.

In sum... not all bad in intent, but potentially problematic in practice, especially if sons and daughters are no longer living in their original hometown, but have moved for work or education.
« Last Edit: January 02, 2015, 02:23:52 PM by CrystalMind »

Offline DeniseDenise

• Taxiarches
« Reply #43 on: January 02, 2015, 02:22:24 PM »

for one simple reason.

How do you educate your children?

irrelevant

because i am not telling you how to do it....merely telling you to stop being a prat and lording the superiority you have for how you do it, over everyone that is not you.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #44 on: January 02, 2015, 02:24:02 PM »

I educate my wife with the switch!

God bless!