OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 19, 2014, 12:43:39 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Chrismation Service  (Read 4781 times) Average Rating: 0
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« on: May 29, 2005, 07:10:40 PM »

Anyone have a link to the liturgy for the reception of converts? 

Also, I've seen photos on-line of people being received barefoot.  Is that the usual practice? 

Thanks!
choirfiend
ManIsChristian=iRnotgrEek.
High Elder

Rachael weeping for her children, for they are not

« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2005, 07:56:59 PM »

Yup, your feet get anointed. The Seal of the Gift of the Holy Spirit! Seal!

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2005, 07:59:17 PM »

Baptism and Chrismation Service

o
          o Censing of the font occurs immediately before the service.
          o
          o Blessing - "Blessed is the Kingdom..."
          o
          o Great Litany with prayers for the blessing of the water and the person(s) who desire illumination.
          o
          o Prayers and blessing of the baptismal water.
          o
          o Prayers and blessing of the oil of anointing (oil of gladness).
          o
          o Anointing with the oil of gladness.
          o
                + Face
                +
                + Breast
                +
                + Upper back
                +
                + Hands
                +
                + Feet
                +
          o Baptism
          o Robing of the newly-baptized in the baptismal garment (during the singing of Psalm 31)
          o Prayer for the newly baptized.
          o Chrismation of the newly-baptized. "The seal of the gift of the Holy SpiritGǪ"
          o Anointing of the:
                + brow
                +
                + eyes
                +
                + nostrils
                +
                + lips
                +
                + ears
                +
                + hands
                +
                + feet
                +
          o Procession of the newly-illumined and sponsors around the font (3 times) while "As many have been baptized" is sung.
          o Prokeimenon
          o Epistle of the Holy Apostle Paul to the Romans (6:3-11)
          o Alleluia (sung 3 times)
          o Holy Gospel according to St. Matthew (28:16-20)
          o Ectenia
          o Ablution (washing of the newly-illumined)
          o Tonsure
          o Fervent Ectenia

Churching of the newly-illumined child

Sermon

Greeting of the newly-illumined.

Also, try this!
http://home.it.net.au/~jgrapsas/pages/Baptism.htm

Qui cantat, bis orat
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 08:05:07 PM »

And this!

http://www.fatheralexander.org/booklets/english/baptism_e.htm#n4

Qui cantat, bis orat
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 09:19:59 PM »

Yup, your feet get anointed. The Seal of the Gift of the Holy Spirit! Seal!

Darn!  That means I have to get a pedicure.  Sad 
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 09:27:33 PM »

the chrismation service for receiving converts, where it is only chrismation that is taking place (i.e. no Baptism), is a lot simpler as far as I've seen (been to 2, participated in one Grin). the general outline is something like this:

* begins in narthex, if you havent done renunciations of ur past religion yet, you do those now. then statement of what you now believe (not the creed tho, but a different thing about your new relationship to the Orthodox Church, etc.) - often this is in a Q&A format where priest asks questions, you answer (reading everything the whole time, mind you - i.e. dont feel like u'll hafta memorize the proper responses beforehand - priest will be reading too Wink).

* priest leads you into temple by your holding his epitrachelion (sp?), to stand before the gospel book and cross, which is in the center of the church. next to this is a table w/ the chrism and all the other goodies the priest will need Smiley

* then you kneel (or i did) and say the creed (i think this is where this is - you say the creed at SOME point), then priest says prayer over you, then he proceeds to absolve you of your sins w/ his epitrachelion (i think) draped over your head - you are still kneeling while he does this.

* then you stand, i think this is where you kiss the gospel book and cross, and he says another prayer, followed by the anointing w/ Holy Chrism on all the places choirfriend listed (this is the part where, if you are wearing shoes that come off easily, you take them off, which is what i did - i was wearing slide-on sandles of some sort - but if you dont own anything like this, then you can run it by your priest beforehand and ask if you can do the whole service barefoot, which he will certainly agree to because he needs access to your feet)

* then i think there's another prayer he says (i cant remember), then the ablution (wipes chrism off with a sponge and warm water)

* then there is a litany, which is the usual petitions w/ one added for you, the newly illumined, and your sponsor.

* then he says a closing prayer, and service is over Smiley priest may say a few words to you and all that are present, at this point, welcoming you into the Church and giving you words of encouragement, etc.

* then the best part - an hour later in liturgy you get to receive communion Grin

my priest used the Isabella Hapgood service book, which i own, but it is at school (and i am at home right now) so i cant confirm if this is the exact order of everything - but this is the gyst. Smiley

In Christ,
Donna Mary

hmmmm...
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 10:32:31 PM »

Darn! That means I have to get a pedicure. Sad

This is a BAD thing???

Qui cantat, bis orat
katherine 2001
High Elder

Eastern Orthodox Church--Established in 33 A.D.

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 10:51:44 PM »

I wore shoes without stockings.  Obviously, you'd have to wear shoes that leave at least part of the top of your foot bare so that the priest can annoint them with oil.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 11:38:11 PM »

This is a BAD thing???

I hate getting a pedicure.  I don't know why but I hate manicures and pedicures.  But if the world's going to be seeing my feet then I'll need some polish on those toenails and all of the rest of that girlie-stuff. 

choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 01:11:13 AM »

I haven't ever gotten a real pedicure or manicure. And hey, you don't have to get polish and all that if you don't want to. A nice clean buff can be good. Just think of it like getting your hair cut. You're just getting a footcut.

Or not--a lot of ugly man-feet get Christmated too, and it's likely that no one but the priest will really be seeing your feet much. Wink
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 08:49:22 PM by choirfiend » Logged

Qui cantat, bis orat
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 10:59:25 PM »

I survived my reception into Orthodoxy without a pedicure. Perhaps is that is what your concern is... well where your treasure is.

Perhaps you should keep the ancient practice of not bathing for three (some canons read nine I'm told) days after illumination.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 11:08:20 PM by +Â¥+¦+¦-ä+¼-ü+¦++-é » Logged
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2005, 11:28:58 PM »

I survived my reception into Orthodoxy without a pedicure.  Perhaps is that is what your concern is... well where your treasure is.

Perhaps you should keep the ancient practice of not bathing for three (some canons read nine I'm told) days after illumination. 

Gee, I think my co-workers would really appreciate that.  Smiley 

Seriously though, why the judgmentalism?  I read responses like this and I can understand how the 'lifespan' of converts could be only 5 years.  This kind of enthusiastic rigorism can't be sustained long-term. 

Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2005, 11:47:59 PM »

Seriously though, why the dilettantism?  I read responses like this and I can understand how the 'lifespan' of converts could be only 5 years.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2005, 12:09:29 AM »

Seriously though, why the dilettantism? I read responses like this and I can understand how the 'lifespan' of converts could be only 5 years.

So I'm just a "dabbler" in Orthodoxy because I don't intend to walk around barefoot in a church without getting a pedicure? 

Fotina02

« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2005, 12:22:41 AM »

Why not? Brides go all-out with total manicure/pedicure etc. Your chrismation is the Big Day. Is a date set yet? Prayers for you.
Robert
"Amazing"
Archon

« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2005, 01:22:10 AM »

I dunno but I'd like to see it.

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #16 on: May 31, 2005, 07:28:50 AM »

How does annointing the breast occur when its a woman that is being baptized?

the priest basically annoints just below the collar bone.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 07:29:01 AM by Donna Rose » Logged

hmmmm...
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #17 on: May 31, 2005, 11:33:57 AM »

wee
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 05:33:46 PM by Beayf » Logged
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #18 on: May 31, 2005, 03:25:23 PM »

Relax -- I'm not seriously proposing what it sounds like. It's just riffing on the concept of what "annointing the breast" literally implies.

Actually, having seen baptisms of women performed with them wearing thin white robes, I'm in favor of having the baptism itself performed in a separate baptistry assisted by a deaconess, if only to preserve the mental chastity of the guys. Alternatively, the solution used by Jews for female converts when it comes time for them to use the mikvah might work -- everybody leaves, woman gets into water with a sheet covering the surface of the water with a hole for her head; everybody comes back in, ceremony is performed, everybody leaves again, women gets out of water and dresses properly, everybody comes back in, ceremony resumes.
« Last Edit: May 31, 2005, 05:18:48 PM by Beayf » Logged
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #19 on: May 31, 2005, 05:37:54 PM »

We walk around barefoot at least once a year for the service of Holy Unction, too. Plus, I know hardly any woman that doesn't end up slipping her shoes off during services once in a while.

Or then there's the Copts, who are barefoot in church all the time. It's not a biggie, in the end.

Qui cantat, bis orat
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #20 on: May 31, 2005, 05:50:45 PM »

We walk around barefoot at least once a year for the service of Holy Unction, too.

Interesting. I must admit I've never seen the service of Holy Unction performed -- my church doesn't do the mass unction in Holy Week. Is it performed just like a regular unction, only on a bunch of people at once?
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 06:06:02 PM »

yes, the evening of Holy Wednesday, the prayers are offered,the oil blessed, then the congregation gets in line to receive anointing. Like Communion but with more greasiness. I for one wish my priest got one of those great little tools with the metal ball on the end for anointing, because I appreciate the anointing, but the sheer volume of oil that we have to somehow rub into our skin is worrisome because he uses a paintbrush or a Q-tip or something. 

Qui cantat, bis orat
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #22 on: May 31, 2005, 06:29:30 PM »

the sheer volume of oil that we have to somehow rub into our skin is worrisome because he uses a paintbrush or a Q-tip or something.

From what I've seen, the paintbrush / q-tip is pretty standard for any annointing -- less mess than the Latin practice of using the thumb. I've not seen the metal ball -- does it leave significantly less oil than the brush?
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #23 on: May 31, 2005, 06:50:48 PM »

Yup. The concept is like the ball-point pen. Only the oil on the surface of the small ball gets transferred to the skin. I'm pretty sure there are brushes kinda required for Unction, but for regular feast day anointings the q-tip is messy AND has to be burned afterwards.

Qui cantat, bis orat
rosemarie

« Reply #24 on: June 02, 2005, 01:07:18 AM »

Actually, having seen baptisms of women performed with them wearing thin white robes, I'm in favor of having the baptism itself performed in a separate baptistry assisted by a deaconess, if only to preserve the mental chastity of the guys.

Ok. Excuse my total ignorance, but are we not wearing clothes under our baptismal robes? I don't think much of my 35- year- old body needs to be revealed. Lord have mercy on us all!! Shocked
« Last Edit: June 02, 2005, 01:10:07 AM by rosemarie » Logged
TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #25 on: June 03, 2005, 01:33:50 AM »

We walk around barefoot at least once a year for the service of Holy Unction, too. Plus, I know hardly any woman that doesn't end up slipping her shoes off during services once in a while.

That's interesting. At the Uncion Service in my home deanerie they only anoint the brow. I have also been to Unction at Antiochian parishes and don't recall this. What jurisdiction do you belong to or where does this happen?

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2005, 09:10:07 PM »

Excuse my total ignorance, but are we not wearing clothes under our baptismal robes? I don't think much of my 35- year- old body needs to be revealed. Lord have mercy on us all!!

The ones I've seen are (like a t-shirt and shorts), but it still leaves very little to the imagination after coming up out of the water.
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2005, 09:41:37 PM »

The ones I've seen are (like a t-shirt and shorts), but it still leaves very little to the imagination after coming up out of the water.

I think you can avert your eyes, pray the Jesus praryer or something else during those brief moments if you really have issues.  It never really has been for an issue for me and I'm a male too.
choirfiend
High Elder

« Reply #28 on: June 05, 2005, 12:19:28 AM »

That's interesting.  At the Uncion Service in my home deanerie they only anoint the brow.  I have also been to Unction at Antiochian parishes and don't recall this.  What jurisdiction do you belong to or where does this happen?

OCA. It happened this past weekend at St. Tikhon's during the healing service for all pilgrims, probably except for the feet, since we were outdoors and taking shoes off would be hard. They anoint in all the Chrismation spots at my parish, but I used to go to churches that didn't do Holy Unction ever at all.

Qui cantat, bis orat
Hesychios
perpetual neophyte
Site Supporter

Faith: Orthodox Catholic Christian

« Reply #29 on: June 05, 2005, 02:22:09 AM »

I say get some toe rings, that would really make you look special!

Or maybe go for a henna treatment!  Shocked Start a trend  Grin

Sorry, I couldn't help it, I am happy for you. (I'm not kidding about the toe rings though)

Michael

"Tradition is the living faith of the dead; traditionalism is the dead faith of the living"
Jaroslav Pelikan
macrina

« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2005, 11:18:18 PM »

at my baptism, i wore a denim jumper dress that i got from a thrift store under my robe...not revealing even when wet, no snaps, zippers, or buckles, and not something i was attached to, since afterwards my priest burned it.

...but i've had friends under other priests get baptised in bathing suits, so i guess it depends.

"Thou hast been free then to enter with a soul bemired with sins and a defiled purpose...Let then the place affect thee; let the sight sober thee. Depart in good time now, and enter tomorrow in better."
-St. Cyril, On The Sacraments
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: