OrthodoxChristianity.net
December 25, 2014, 10:21:27 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: The snakes of the Theotokos  (Read 3962 times) Average Rating: 0
Justionios

« on: May 28, 2005, 11:21:43 AM »

IS here anyone that have seen the snakes of Kefalonia ?
Wich date did you see them ?

Thanks for you who answeer

ΧΑΙΡΕ ΑΝΟΡΘΡΩΣΕΙΣ ΤΩΝ ΑΝΘΡΩΠΩΝ , ΧΑΙΡΕ Κ
eleni

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 11:54:37 AM »

Hi justionios ,

Yes a few yrs back on video....
It's a miracle what happens!

At the time of the Mother of God's name day the snakes are harmless.....cannot remember much but found a link..

http://66.102.7.104/search?q=cache:h3pIVXhejeYJ:dejnarde.ms11.net/snake.htm+snakes+of+kefalonia&hl=en&start=4

CHRIST IS RISEN
I.X
helen...

A Prudent man foresees evil and hides himself;
The simple pass on and are punished.
-Proverbs27:12-
Justionios

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 01:59:32 PM »

Lord is truley risen !
Thank you Eleni , for that you are always will willing to help.

Do you now if the snakes are comming with Gregorain or the Julian calender ?

Lord have mercy on us
« Last Edit: May 28, 2005, 02:00:13 PM by Justionios » Logged

TomS
Banned
Archon

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #3 on: May 28, 2005, 02:11:55 PM »

My wife's uncle grew up on Cephalonia and says this is a bunch of nonsense. It is an island religious tradition with absolutely no basis in fact.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2005, 02:47:16 AM »

My wife's uncle grew up on Cephalonia and says this is a bunch of nonsense. It is an island religious tradition with absolutely no basis in fact.

Interesting. My father lived for several years between the big wars on Kefalonia while he was in his mid-teens. He's never mentioned this at all. I must ask him.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Justionios

« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2005, 04:54:11 AM »

Lord have mercy , maybe your wifes uncle never went to see the miracle ?

Ecumenical

« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2005, 09:26:38 AM »

For Christ sake you call this thing a nonsense`? So thousands of people seeing this must either be blind or stupid. Very sad to hear such stuff this is a miracle and still we choose to be Thomas.
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2005, 10:31:42 AM »

For Christ sake you call this thing a nonsense`? So thousands of people seeing this must either be blind or stupid.

Thousands of people? Really? Have you talked to any of these witnesses?

And I would not call these people "blind or stupid". "Hoodwinked" would probably be a more accurate term.
Ebor
Vanyar
Taxiarches

« Reply #8 on: May 29, 2005, 12:13:12 PM »

For Christ sake you call this thing a nonsense`? So thousands of people seeing this must either be blind or stupid. Very sad to hear such stuff this is a miracle and still we choose to be Thomas.

How do you *know* this? Have you been there and seen it yourself? Have you spoken to people you know who have been there? Or is the only exposure a cached web page?

A good general rule for any information is: What is the source of said information? Is it a Primary source? Secondary? Tertiary?
http://www.uscupstate.edu/library/LibraryPathfinders/PrimarySources/sources-home.html

Is it a translation? If so, how good was the translator?

TomS has a uncle-in-law to whom he has spoken in person.

Doing a bit of google myself out of curisosity here is another view from http://kefhelm.tripod.com/2ndSiteNewLayout/hotspots/hotspots.htm

Markopoulo & Arginia: High on the hill top above the resort of Katelios between August 6th and 15th small harmless snakes have been making their appearance for centuries in the church of Panayia of Langouvarda and in the village of Arginia higher up the slopes of Mount Ainos. The original church of Langouvarda was burned in 1945 and completely destroyed in the earthquakes of 1953. From the night of August 6th 'telescopus fallax' known as the cat snake appears in and around the church's courtyard, walls and bell tower. The inhabitants of the villages consider them to be holy, collecting these harmless creatures and setting them in front of the silver icon of the 'Virgin of the Snakes'. After the festival on the 15th August these honoured guests leave until the same time next year. Some say it's a miracle, whilst others believe the wet damp route that runs from the fresh water spring in Arginia down the ravine to Markopoulo is a migratory path. Locals consider their presence as a good omen for the coming year. During the German occupation in the second world war and the earthquake of 1953 the snakes failed to appear.

(emphasis added)

and the snake in question "Telescopus Fallax", the European Cat Snake is
"is a semi-venomous snake, although not dangerous to humans."

http://www2.pms-lj.si/exhibitions/snakes_why.html

Ebor

"I wish they would remember that the charge to Peter was "Feed my sheep", not "Try experiments on my rats", or even "Teach my performing dogs new tricks". - C. S. Lewis

The Katana of Reasoned Discussion

For some a world view is more like a neighborhood watch.
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2005, 07:46:45 PM »

As a proud son of Kefalonia, I would love to reply to this post.

The truth is, one does not know whether the snakes are real.ÂÂ  It is said that during the Turkish Occupation of the Island, a group of nuns were in danger of being raped by Turkish soldiers.ÂÂ  After praying to God, they were turned into a bunch of snakes.ÂÂ  

This is definitely NOT the most religiously fascinating part of the Island.ÂÂ  Rather, it is Saint Gerasimos of Kefalonia (Intercede for us).ÂÂ  I only have stories from my grandparents- but even to this day St. Gerasimos is a patron saint of those possessed.ÂÂ  During his feast day they move the body over those possessed by the Devil and those that are mentally ill.ÂÂ  Many are healed.ÂÂ  My grandfather used to say that young girls broke through iron chains to get away from the body (those that were possessed).ÂÂ  Those that were brought to the Church were put in a separate room on the side of the Church, where they could hear but not see the Liturgy.ÂÂ  Howls were heard in the Church around the most important parts of the Divine Liturgy.ÂÂ  Also, when a demon was expelled, it had the permission to break one thing in the church.ÂÂ  Stories of glass candles exploding or windows imploding were seen when someone was finally freed.

So as one can see- St. Gerasimos is much more fascinating than a bunch of snakes- but God works in mysterious ways!
« Last Edit: December 10, 2005, 09:15:24 AM by SouthSerb99 » Logged

NULL
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2005, 09:45:32 PM »

I didn't have a chance to go to Kephalonia or not during my time in Greece (perhaps I will in the coming years, who knows), but I agree that there are greater religous sights to see, such as the relics of Saint Gerasimos :
emmanuelmelo

OC.net

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2005, 08:41:09 PM »

Has anyone been to Kefalonia in the past two years? 

NULL
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #12 on: October 07, 2008, 07:22:51 PM »

Yep, you read that right.  I'm not sure what to think about this interesting story.  I kind of feel bad for the snakes being handled so much, but, if they're from our Lady Theotokos, then they probably enjoy their time with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvSsOxZfWvk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Za9-uX4b8&feature=related

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
Quinault
Protokentarchos

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Antiochian

What about frogs? I like frogs!

« Reply #13 on: October 07, 2008, 08:10:56 PM »

I don't know what to think either. That is interesting.
ialmisry
There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
Warned
Hypatos

Faith: جامعي Arab confesssing the Orthodox Faith of the One, Holy, Catholic and Apostolic Church
Jurisdiction: Antioch (for now), but my heart belongs to Alexandria

« Reply #14 on: October 07, 2008, 11:23:41 PM »

Yep, you read that right.  I'm not sure what to think about this interesting story.  I kind of feel bad for the snakes being handled so much, but, if they're from our Lady Theotokos, then they probably enjoy their time with us.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pvSsOxZfWvk&feature=related

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F5Za9-uX4b8&feature=related

Orthodox snake handlers?

If this is to be explained, I would think it would be the New Eve reversing the relationship with the serpent. IF I saw correctly, they appear on the Transfiguration, when the New Adam revealed the foretaste of the New Creation.

Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth
ozgeorge
I'll take you for who you are if you take me for everything.
Hoplitarches

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Oecumenical Patriarchate of Constantinople, the New Rome, the Great Church of Christ.

My plans for retirement.

« Reply #15 on: October 08, 2008, 07:55:58 AM »

The church is near the ruins of an old convent. When a band of pirates landed, the nuns sang the Paraklesis to the Theotokos, begging her to deliver the island and protect them. The Theotokos sent a swarm of snakes with painful bites which drove the pirates off. Since then, these small snakes come annually to the church and seem to venerate the icon of the Theotokos by crawling on to it. These snakes have a marking of the Cross on their heads. I've mentioned this miracle three times on the forum, and posted video links, but you all wisely ignore this old windbag. Cheesy

If you're living a happy life as a Christian, you're doing something wrong.
EofK
Mrs. Y
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

lolcat addict

« Reply #16 on: October 08, 2008, 09:15:08 AM »

^I thought that sounded familiar.  Wink  It is an interesting occurence, though I'm not sure I'd have the intestinal fortitude to hang around when the snakes make their pilgrimage.   Shocked

Human beings, who are almost unique in having the ability to learn from the experience of others, are also remarkable for their apparent disinclination to do so. -- Douglas Adams
GabrieltheCelt
Hillbilly Extraordinaire
Taxiarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Chasin' down a Hoodoo...

« Reply #17 on: October 08, 2008, 10:53:47 AM »

The church is near the ruins of an old convent. When a band of pirates landed, the nuns sang the Paraklesis to the Theotokos, begging her to deliver the island and protect them. The Theotokos sent a swarm of snakes with painful bites which drove the pirates off. Since then, these small snakes come annually to the church and seem to venerate the icon of the Theotokos by crawling on to it. These snakes have a marking of the Cross on their heads. I've mentioned this miracle three times on the forum, and posted video links, but you all wisely ignore this old windbag. Cheesy
Sorry George, I didn't see your previous threads. Tongue  Thanks for the accompanying story.

"The Scots-Irish; Brewed in Scotland, bottled in Ireland, uncorked in America."  ~Scots-Irish saying
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #18 on: October 08, 2008, 01:06:31 PM »

I personally love snakes.  Wasn't it St John Chrysostom who said the snake was man's best friend and that the devil took this form in order to deceive Eve? 

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Jetavan
Argumentum ad australopithecum
Taxiarches

Faith: Science to the Fourth Power
Jurisdiction: Ohayo Gozaimasu

Barlaam and Josaphat

« Reply #19 on: October 08, 2008, 01:17:11 PM »

I personally love snakes.  Wasn't it St John Chrysostom who said the snake was man's best friend and that the devil took this form in order to deceive Eve? 

If anyone has a citation for this, I would much appreciate it. Smiley

If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: