OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 26, 2014, 05:18:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Page with lots of links about Old Believers  (Read 1272 times) Average Rating: 0
The young fogey
Archon

I'm an alpaca, actually

« on: February 04, 2003, 12:42:14 AM »

http://members.aol.com/jnsrca/old.htm

TonyS
High Elder

« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2003, 01:34:34 AM »

Serge,

Thanks for posting this link.  It brings up a question I want to address to others:

Does anyone know of any reference to any Slavonic non-Russian pre-Nikonian usage that is at variance with the Russian pre-Nikonian usage?

I will explain why I ask.  As some of you know I am former (Ruthenian) BC.  The Ruthenian BCs claim that many of their liturgical peculiarities are pre-Nikonian.  However, when compared to Russian pre-Nikonian usages and texts it just does not hold water.  Ruthenian BCs do not make the 2-fingered sign of the cross, 2 Alleluias instead of 3 at the end of kathismata, the episcopal vestments are not Russian pre-Nikonian, etc.  Further, the level of Slavonic in the Ruthenian books is mostly the same as the other Slavs have in their modern books.  There is slight textual difference (many like to point to the cherubikon) but it is extrememly limited.  

Tonight I was looking for the Paschal sermon of Chrystostom and glanced really quickly in the Old Believer Prayerbook out of Erie.  I noticed (surely not for the 1st time I just forget it) that the Paschal tropar' text is different.  There are just so many textual differences.  

Anyway, the point is not to bash anyone.  There are certainly local variations and anyone who knows how isolated the regions in and around the Carpathians are can grasp this.  That these variations are all pre-Nikonian is, as far as I can tell, not likely nor is it a scholarly opinion.  No one is able to point me to any scholarly evidence.

So, does anyone here know about a Slavonic non-Russian pre-Nikonian usage?  (Note that the "Old Believers" are now dispersed but they are Russian-usage.)

Tony

Tómame como al tequila, de un golpe y sin pensarlo. - Ricardo Arjona

I'd be a fool to surrender when I know I can be a contender
and if everbody's a sinner then everybody can be a winner
I'll see you when yo
Tags: Old Believers 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: