OrthodoxChristianity.net
July 24, 2014, 07:01:48 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Role of the Laity in the Governance of the Church  (Read 790 times) Average Rating: 0
Kizzy

« on: May 28, 2005, 01:23:41 AM »

This link below is to an article on this subject written by theologian and educator V. Karras.  It is on the OCL website. The article touches upon many of the themes on this chat group.  In particular it explains the role of the Emperor in the early church, as an agent for the laity, and how without an Emperor, the laity is still important...Reviews many of the important acts of the liaty in the past which helped preserve the faith. 
Anyhow, thought readers would find this interesting.

http://www.ocl.org/THE%20LAITY%20IN%20THE%20GOVERNANCE%20OF%20THE%20CHURCH.htm

In XC, Kizzy

In XC, Kizzy
observer
High Elder

Vivre die Raznitsa!

« Reply #1 on: May 28, 2005, 09:58:47 AM »

I looked up the website OCL and found that Valerie Karas wrote the article.  She is a contributing author to The Cambridge Companion to Feminist Theology.

Thou shalt not prefer one thing to another (Law of Liberalism)
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #2 on: May 28, 2005, 10:50:33 AM »

Of course, OCL is perhaps one of the most anti-Orthodox groups that I know.... so why would feminist theology surprise you?
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2005, 02:58:05 AM »

Of course, OCL is perhaps one of the most anti-Orthodox groups that I know.... so why would feminist theology surprise you?

I very much agree about the OCL. Those folks are 'out-there' and getting worse.
And I find the Karras article to be deficient. I tire of reading about iconoclasm and the Council of Florence. Those periods where the entire Church spoke hardly qualify as models for daily church government and administration by their very nature and certainly not to support an activist agenda of change. Like so much we read today, especially in op-ed pieces, if the first lie gets by unchallenged, then the rest looks valid. Usually it is not so.

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: