OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 17, 2014, 10:04:38 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: From an Albanian to Serbs...  (Read 3977 times) Average Rating: 0
PrinceMarko

« on: May 27, 2005, 10:38:35 AM »

I want to disspell the MYTH that every albanian is pro-Kosovo.  That is NOT the truth. The truth is that most albanians from albania do not even like kosovar albanians. We want NOTHING to do with Kosovo. As an orthodox albanian, it irritates me to see an islamic rebel group split apart a soveriegn nation and take away a historical place for orthodox and western europe really.  This is a sad attempt by islamic nations in the middle east to establish influence within europe.  Sure, milosevic did screw up politically but the situation should have been resolved politically, not by burning churches.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Serbian Orthodox Church

Now Internet Forum Friendly

« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2005, 10:57:38 AM »

Brother in Christ,

It is nice to have you here.  I've actually posted before (about our Orthodox brothers and sisters in Albania) and how they have an opposing view of Kosovo.

It is also well known that there are Christian Albanians in Kosovo that have been murdered by the KLA and their cohorts for not supporting the terrorist group.

Often, through ignorance and lack of understanding we label this a "Albanian" problem, which clearly it is not.  It is an ISLAMIC problem and a CRIMINAL problem.  In any event, welcome to the forum.

"Wherever you go, there you are."
 Guy from my office

Orthodox Archbishopric of Ohrid
Hungry? Click Here
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 10:59:15 AM »

Welcome to the forum. I'm glad to see an Orthodox Albanian here - you can join me as a representative of the non-Slav, non-Greek Eastern Orthodox churches that usually get forgotten about Wink. It's also, of course, good to have an Albanian view of the events in Kosovo.

On a personal note (and as a Romanian speaker) I'd be glad to learn of any similarities between the two languages, if you're interested. I understand that there are some, such as the word for 'peas' apparently, but I'm afraid I don't know too much.

Once again, welcome.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
PrinceMarko

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 11:03:55 AM »

Thank you guys. Ordinarily, the moment you say "albanian" a look of horror comes over people. We have a big problem in Albania between muslims and orthodox right now. They desicrate churches and actually planned to bomb one on easter. Overall though, we hope that the kosovo problem gets resolved peacefully, but knowing the KLA... we expect the worst. Let me be the first to apologize for the idiotic muslim PM. Sali Berisha's inaction on the KLA's movements within albania that helped them carry out bombings and attacks on serb police.
SouthSerb99
Archbishop of Shlivo, Patriarch of All Vodkas & Defender Against All Overstepping!
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2005, 11:12:42 AM »

PrinceMarko,

You are certainly under NO obligation to make apologies for fanatics beyond your control.  Like James said, it is great to have an Albanian posting here, to give us a different perspective.

I had NO idea that Orthodox Churches were also under attack inside Albania.  That is utterly dispicable.  I pray God grants our people the strength to survive these difficult times.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
PrinceMarko

« Reply #5 on: May 27, 2005, 11:28:15 AM »

Oh we will survive. We're true to our faith and no amount of violence will distract us from it.
optxogokcoc
orthodoxos

« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2005, 11:33:33 AM »

Ah, I am crossing with my both hands. Just yesterday I was looking about progress of Orthodoxy in Albania. And today to see you here...

Welcome!

PrinceMarko

« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2005, 11:44:40 AM »

Ah, I am crossing with my both hands. Just yesterday I was looking about progress of Orthodoxy in Albania. And today to see you here...

Welcome!

You will be pleased to hear that Albania now is a majority christian. Islam has taken a second place to Orthodox/Catholic albanians. This is a result of more atheists and now the albanian educational system is educating pupils on the Ottoman empire's violent campaign of conversion in the balkans. Many university students have converted back to Orthodoxy.
optxogokcoc
orthodoxos

« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2005, 11:47:32 AM »

Eh, tonight I am getting drunk....
sin_vladimirov
ANAXIOS!
Elder

ICXC NIKA

« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2005, 11:49:16 AM »

You guys are making my day.

God bless you all.

Lord have mercy.
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #10 on: May 27, 2005, 11:49:54 AM »

You will be pleased to hear that Albania now is a majority christian. Islam has taken a second place to Orthodox/Catholic albanians. This is a result of more atheists and now the albanian educational system is educating pupils on the Ottoman empire's violent campaign of conversion in the balkans. Many university students have converted back to Orthodoxy.

That is a delight to hear. Could you inform us a bit more with statistics? What percentage belongs to Orthodox Christianity, what percentage to Roman Catholic Christianity, the atheist population, and finally the percentage of Islam?

I can still remember when Archbishop Anastasios of Albania gave an interview, of how he settled down in Albania, when the Orthodox in the land were only the greeks of the south, who were not Albanians...

EDIT: According to stats from "CIA - The World Factbook" regarding Albania:

Muslim 70%, Albanian Orthodox 20%, Roman Catholic 10%
note: percentages are estimates; there are no available current statistics on religious affiliation; all mosques and churches were closed in 1967 and religious observances prohibited; in November 1990, Albania began allowing private religious practice

I can imagine this is not real though, since the CIA site seems to be openly prejudiced and promoting whatever suits them best. For example, by the CIA standards, Turkey is 99,8% Muslim, which is of course, impossible by human standards. Even Greece, with a most fervent Church, is not above 98%.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 11:53:40 AM by Ntinos » Logged

SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2005, 11:54:32 AM »

Eh, tonight I am getting drunk....

Now that wouldn't be very "Serbian" of you to drink alone!!!  I'm waiting for an invitation.  Wink

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
optxogokcoc
orthodoxos

« Reply #12 on: May 27, 2005, 11:58:50 AM »

No way man! Its my.. my own... my preciousssss... it lovsess it... LOL

Ofcourse.. what would you like? Some Prepecenica or some Car Lazar and Carica Milica? LOL
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #13 on: May 27, 2005, 11:59:25 AM »

SouthSerb,
You didn't read that article on the Albanian Patriarch in Parade magazine several months ago? Excellent story.
optxogokcoc
orthodoxos

« Reply #14 on: May 27, 2005, 12:01:14 PM »

I was at Orthodox Albanian Church Website...

No... have you got it anywhere online
optxogokcoc
orthodoxos

« Reply #15 on: May 27, 2005, 12:02:59 PM »

Sorry Elisha... my bad...
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #16 on: May 27, 2005, 12:14:03 PM »

SouthSerb,
You didn't read that article on the Albanian Patriarch in Parade magazine several months ago? Excellent story.
Elisha,

No, please provide, I'd love to read it.

Ofcourse.. what would you like? Some Prepecenica or some Car Lazar and Carica Milica? LOL

I'm partial to prepecenica... and since you're buying... I'll take a "few"  or a few more. LOL

Can you believe this... two Serbs ecstatic to have an Orthodox Albanian spreading good news.  Now, this is Orthodoxy unity at its finest!!!

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
PrinceMarko

« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2005, 12:44:48 PM »

The statistics from what i remember were around 30% Orthodox, 20% catholic, 40% muslim and 10% atheist. Adding both sects of christianity, it surpasses Islam. This is also the reason why Albania has an Orthodox Prime Minister.

During the anarchy in 1997, they tried to kill Archbishop Anastasios of Albania, to this day he still keeps the bullet stuck in the window of his office.  In retaliation, no Albanian Orthodox village allowed kosovar refugees to stay there. My fathers village put a sign with a cross on it saying to look to their muslim brothers.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 12:58:37 PM by PrinceMarko » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2005, 01:14:24 PM »

If you got to Parade.com, there are archives from 2004 on, but the article was in Nov 2003.  Here it is.  Google is your friend (usually I choose Yahoo though.  Cool)

http://www.stbasil.com/Parade%20article.pdf
SouthSerb99
Site Supporter
Archon

« Reply #19 on: May 27, 2005, 01:46:39 PM »

Elisha,

Thanks.  Great article.

Guy from my office

Hungry? Click Here
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #20 on: May 27, 2005, 02:15:47 PM »

SouthSerb,
You didn't read that article on the Albanian Patriarch in Parade magazine several months ago?  Excellent story.

Patriarch? Do you mean Archbishop?

The statistics from what i remember were around 30% Orthodox, 20% catholic, 40% muslim and 10% atheist.  Adding both sects of christianity, it surpasses Islam.  This is also the reason why Albania has an Orthodox Prime Minister.

Thank you. Quite interesting to know 30% are Orthodox Christians. This would be, eh, 2,000,000 Albanians, right?
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 02:18:48 PM by Ntinos » Logged

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #21 on: May 27, 2005, 02:30:21 PM »

Patriarch? Do you mean Archbishop?

OK.  Primate.  Whatever.
PrinceMarko

« Reply #22 on: May 27, 2005, 03:07:10 PM »

Its about 1.5 million albanians within albania that are orthodox. Orthodox territory is anything south of the Skumbin River with the exception of one province. The north is where islam is prevelant with the exception of the area around lake skodar.
Mexican
Elder

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church of Alexandria

« Reply #23 on: May 29, 2005, 08:38:48 PM »

Marku

What was the conduct of Albanian Orthodox subjects during World War II? It's my understanding that at the time of the Italian anexation of Albania, the Orthodox did not sympatize with Mussolini, fearing that he would impose them a Uniat Bishop (this never happened though), but when the Greek troops were coming into Albania, most Albanians united against the common enemy.

The Kombetar and Albanian Nationalists who fought until the end for a united Albania and against the Communist and Liberal cruzaders, had Catholics among their members. Did the Orthodox support them also?
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #24 on: May 30, 2005, 03:29:28 AM »

Also, should we ever hope Albania will become a fully Orthodox (80-90%) country ever?

PrinceMarko

« Reply #25 on: May 30, 2005, 10:48:01 AM »

The orthodox in albania have been historically independent in manner. They fought bitterly against the turks and No, they did not support Italy in ww2. In fact, there was an 'underground' law that punished anyone with death if they did not help jews hide. You have it backwards, orthodox in albania have fought WITH the greeks when they invaded. there is only one province in southern albania that is muslim that caused problems for the greeks then. Also, communists were a huge impact on any ridiculous united albania talk.  What a lot of people do not know is ...that albania's communists were very very close to Tito's communist regime. Only in the later years did they become adversaries.

You will not see such a high rate of orthodox in albania, hopefully 50% in the coming decade, but you will see a significant portion christian. Thats better than 70% muslim. People do not realize that if put to a vote, southern albania would vote to join greece in a heartbeat.
« Last Edit: May 30, 2005, 10:50:29 AM by PrinceMarko » Logged
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #26 on: May 30, 2005, 10:53:47 AM »

Heh, let's vote then.  Grin

Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: