Author Topic: Nearly Converted, Having Struggles  (Read 4696 times)

Offline ElijahVI

Nearly Converted, Having Struggles
« on: December 04, 2014, 06:51:31 AM »
Hello Everyone,

My name is Matthew :) This is my First post as you can see..
Thank-you to the moderator for confirming my account! I wanted to get on here quickly, took awhile but worth the wait.

I'm a struggling believer, wavering, always in fear. I'm always scared about being wrong? I worry about getting the Godhead wrong, Just getting my belief wrong in General and going to hell? I know the bible is true but my faith wavers so much. I doubt the Lord alot and i just want peace and clarity. In the past i used to but then i guess i fell somewhat, i'm trying to hold on but i get just discouraged because i wonder if i'm even right with my interpretation of Scripture. I can see clearly Jesus is God. But i have all these wicked seeds planted in me that i let grow by my own foolishness that have confused me, i really don't know what to do or how to just get peace and clarity. It really feels like i'm just being a fake believer at times, its just weird. I'm in a pretty lost state. I'm trying to settle my beliefs but the ship just sinks, when i think i get clarity more thoughts and doubts occur. What if the trinity is not true, what if the early church writings weren't true. I'm trying to hold onto my faith but its pretty hard, i feel like giving up with all these doubts, its so exhausting. I really want Truth and Peace. I know the bible is true, i know it is. I just want these thoughts to stop. I know God is real i just want assurance with my faith, just clear clarity.

I was baptized as a Roman Catholic when i was younger, was confirmed and such.
Only maybe 2 years or less ago did i come to be what i thought was a believer, I was getting convictions, felt the Spirit working in me, i really do believe i grieved it greatly, I was foolish, Misinformed when it comes to the seriousness of sin, i hardly read, i fell back into the world, i was deep in sin, then heard things, exposed to theories, doctrines, information i would never have thought about that really hit me and trialed me, i still am in clear bondage, I have no light, No power.

From my research and from what i see, I think its clear that the Early Church saw Jesus as God and also that they also held to baptismal regeneration/for the remission of sins. I spoke to a Vicar from an Indian Orthodox Church, (I'm going to speak to him again tomorrow) He informed me that i don't need to be re-baptized, from what I've read this seems like the main view held by the Orthodox Church, Is this really the case? It seems like such a crucial part for salvation.

As you can see i'm abit of a mess and need just guidance. I lack wisdom and understanding and Light. Life is very dark for me lately.
It doesn't help, family around me just confuse me more at times.

Enough babbling on, i know i wrote a fair bit and there is alot to address. Any help or advice, Especially Prayer would be Great! I need God.
Thank-You so much.

Offline Gebre Menfes Kidus

• "SERVANT of The HOLY SPIRIT"
  • Merarches
  • Trolling Babylon 24/7, without apology!
    • http://www.facebook.com/profile.php?ref=profile&id=1456515775
  • Faith: Ethiopian Orthodox Tewahedo
Re: Nearly Converted, Having Struggles
« Reply #1 on: December 04, 2014, 07:08:11 AM »
Greetings Matthew, and welcome to the forum!

I don't have any answers for you really. I am a convert to Orthodoxy from evangelicalism. One of the things that I love about Orthodoxy is that I no longer worry about having to logically understand everything. The Orthodox Faith leaves great room for divine mystery. Before I was Orthodox, I was constantly trying figure out the correct interpretation of every verse in the Bible. I always thought that I needed to be able to explain my faith with some sort of logically infallible consistency. But now I realize that pride was wrapped up in all of that. I was looking for security in reason rather than simply trusting in divine truths that often transcend (not contradict) human reason. So as you approach entrance into the Orthodox Church, be willing to submit your mortal reason to Divine Mystery. There is great liberation and freedom in doing so. And when we prostrate our intellect before Christ and His Church, it really does all begin to make much more sense.

May God bless you and guide you in your journey.

"Lord have mercy." +++

Selam 
"Whether it’s the guillotine, the hangman’s noose, or reciprocal endeavors of militaristic horror, radical evil will never be recompensed with radical punishment. The only answer, the only remedy, and the only truly effective response to radical evil is radical love."
+ Gebre Menfes Kidus +
http://bookstore.authorhouse.com/Products/SKU-000984270/Rebel-Song.aspx

Offline ElijahVI

« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2014, 07:14:49 AM »
Thank-You Gebre!

It's a scary process because its such a leap! Such a difference from what i know and what i'm used to. Such a difference from what i've been taught (when coming to what i thought was a true "Christian" i became somewhat Anti-Catholic and i suppose even Anti-Orthodox ._.
That's where i go and went wrong, i puff and puffed myself up with knowledge and pride to much. Mhm i'm honestly willing to give my life for this, I really contemplated even going to a monastery. I just yes hope to confirm this and overcome these struggles.

Thank-You so much again.
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 07:15:48 AM by ElijahVI »

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2014, 12:07:58 PM »
I don't have any answers for you really. I am a convert to Orthodoxy from evangelicalism. One of the things that I love about Orthodoxy is that I no longer worry about having to logically understand everything. The Orthodox Faith leaves great room for divine mystery. Before I was Orthodox, I was constantly trying figure out the correct interpretation of every verse in the Bible. I always thought that I needed to be able to explain my faith with some sort of logically infallible consistency. But now I realize that pride was wrapped up in all of that. I was looking for security in reason rather than simply trusting in divine truths that often transcend (not contradict) human reason. So as you approach entrance into the Orthodox Church, be willing to submit your mortal reason to Divine Mystery. There is great liberation and freedom in doing so. And when we prostrate our intellect before Christ and His Church, it really does all begin to make much more sense.

May God bless you and guide you in your journey.

"Lord have mercy." +++

Selam  

Same here. You can't imagine the exquisite relief and peace of mind I felt when I gave up being "right"! Trust in the Lord - He loves us. What kind of Father would condemn His children because they guessed wrong on some theological point they barely understood anyway?

A priest I know (a former Pentecostal preacher) told me a story about a man in his inquirer's class, who finally in frustration burst out, "But, Father, if what you're telling me is true, then everything I ever thought is wrong!" Father replied, "Well, son, that is so, but the good news is you don't have to figure it out all by yourself. The Church has already done all the heavy lifting for us."
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:10:38 PM by katherineofdixie »
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline jewish voice

• High Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Still dont know yet
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2014, 12:22:29 PM »
Welcome to the forum. I pray God gives you the peace you seek in your life and spiritual walk.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2014, 12:42:30 PM »
Hi, Elijah.  I hope you've found some comfort in Katherine and Gebre's words.  What they've said is true, especially Katherine's observation that you no longer have to worry about figuring things out for yourself.  If you think you might be harboring a misunderstanding about the Holy Trinity, the Incarnation, or anything else, just check and see what the Church has to say about it.  Chances are, whatever you're grappling with has already been worked out.  For example, when I was very young, in my early teens, I wondered if when the Logos took on a human body and became incarnate as Our Lord Jesus Christ, did He Himself stand in place of what would have been His own human soul?  To my young mind, this seemed logical.  I soon found out, however, that this was a heresy which compromised Christ's full humanity that the Church had dealt with and condemned in the 4th century.  There was no reason for me to re-fight this battle in my mind.

Also, remember that neither God nor His Church is going to condemn you for any misconceptions you might have so long as you don't try to pass them off as the Church's teaching.  That's why St. James warned us: "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, since you know that we will be judged more severely" (St. James 3:1).  For now, stay in the passenger's seat, ask questions, and learn.  You're off to a good start with the Indian Orthodox priest.

As far as rebaptism is concerned, it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  Some Orthodox jurisdictions (like the Syriacs, Armenians, & Byzantines) recognize any baptism performed in the name of the Holy Trinity to be valid and so do not feel the need to "re-baptize" Roman Catholics and some Protestants.  Other jurisdictions (like the Copts, Ethiopians, and Eritreans) will baptize someone like you, but they don't consider it a "re-baptism".  They consider the Orthodox baptism to be your first baptism.  If you're of the same mind (which you seem to be) maybe you should investigate one of those jurisdictions.

As far as your doubts are concerned, don't worry about them.  Pray, "Lord, I believe.  Help Thou my unbelief" and God will perfect His strength in your weakness.  It's all going to work out fine.  Please pray for me, and if you have any questions any time, please feel free to ask them here or message me.  :)
« Last Edit: December 04, 2014, 12:44:10 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Porter ODoran

• St. John the Beloved, pray for me
  • Toumarches
  • Monahos.net: "Lawful Evil"; OC.net: "Chaotic Evil"
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOAA
« Reply #6 on: December 04, 2014, 04:42:07 PM »
Lord, have mercy on your servant Elijah and by your Spirit both comfort him and guide him into all truth.

What you're describing many of us felt. To be outside the Church, forced to make judgments and discernments beyond the ability of an individual person, is a painful load to bear. Thankfully, you are in the process of casting that burden on the Holy Fathers and will soon find great relief. It's certainly proving to be a great relief for my family and me.
"Love ... is an abyss of illumination, a mountain of fire ... . It is the condition of angels, the progress of eternity" (Climacus).

Quote from: Seekingtrue
Yes we who are far from sainthood we can recognize a living saint and I'm talking from personal experience.Yes they are gentle soo gentle it can not be described it is like gentleness and humility in one and also they have this light this energy it's beyond words...and when you are near them you feel ecstatic and very happy

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #7 on: December 04, 2014, 06:05:20 PM »
I went through something very similar.  Some of the good folks here on this forum also helped me with some good advice, which you see above.  They also said to relax and just go to services.  I think I am starting to figure out that you can learn about Orthodoxy from reading books etc, but the only way to become Orthodox is to just show up to services. As many as you can. Get to know the people there and become part of the life of the church.

If you want more reassurance, Fr. Thomas Hopko has a great podcast series on Ancient Faith Radio called "Worship in Sprit and Truth".  You can get it on the AFR app or on iTunes. I am slowly working my way through it and learning a LOT. 

Another thing I heard in the beginning was that "nobody cares what you think." While I might have been a bit offended by that at first, I find it a great comfort now.  I don't have to prove to anyone that I "got it right."  My priest is a wise man, he will be able to tell when I am ready.  He's watched me flopping around like a fish in a boat, and when I calm down, he's still there.

In the end, I guess it does come down to faith. You won't have all the answers. That's why it's called faith.  But you can make some decisions about what you will do.  Pray, love people, go to Divine Liturgy.  And repeat. Wrap up your doubts and fears, put them on a shelf in the closet (you can always go back and get them later if you still want them). Don't worry about feeling the Spirit.  Not sure what you mean by "convictions" but if you mean conviction of sin, then just don't do it. Struggle against it. 

And keep coming back and let us know how it's going. You are not in this alone.

Lord have mercy on Matthew and give him peace.
Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.

Offline ElijahVI

« Reply #8 on: December 04, 2014, 10:16:13 PM »
Same here. You can't imagine the exquisite relief and peace of mind I felt when I gave up being "right"! Trust in the Lord - He loves us. What kind of Father would condemn His children because they guessed wrong on some theological point they barely understood anyway?

A priest I know (a former Pentecostal preacher) told me a story about a man in his inquirer's class, who finally in frustration burst out, "But, Father, if what you're telling me is true, then everything I ever thought is wrong!" Father replied, "Well, son, that is so, but the good news is you don't have to figure it out all by yourself. The Church has already done all the heavy lifting for us."

I see what you mean and that too is what i see as a strong part of orthodoxy, it has not really changed.
I hope everything will work out. What comes into my mind, my brother has said this to me and planted doubt that i'm following traditions of men and not being lead by the spirit.

Mhm i have come to Respect priests alot lately. I was so foolish in the past the way i viewed them, as deceived and such. It's wrong and prideful.
Thank-You for your words Katherine!

I went through something very similar.  Some of the good folks here on this forum also helped me with some good advice, which you see above.  They also said to relax and just go to services.  I think I am starting to figure out that you can learn about Orthodoxy from reading books etc, but the only way to become Orthodox is to just show up to services. As many as you can. Get to know the people there and become part of the life of the church.

If you want more reassurance, Fr. Thomas Hopko has a great podcast series on Ancient Faith Radio called "Worship in Sprit and Truth".  You can get it on the AFR app or on iTunes. I am slowly working my way through it and learning a LOT. 

Another thing I heard in the beginning was that "nobody cares what you think." While I might have been a bit offended by that at first, I find it a great comfort now.  I don't have to prove to anyone that I "got it right."  My priest is a wise man, he will be able to tell when I am ready.  He's watched me flopping around like a fish in a boat, and when I calm down, he's still there.

In the end, I guess it does come down to faith. You won't have all the answers. That's why it's called faith.  But you can make some decisions about what you will do.  Pray, love people, go to Divine Liturgy.  And repeat. Wrap up your doubts and fears, put them on a shelf in the closet (you can always go back and get them later if you still want them). Don't worry about feeling the Spirit.  Not sure what you mean by "convictions" but if you mean conviction of sin, then just don't do it. Struggle against it. 

And keep coming back and let us know how it's going. You are not in this alone.

Lord have mercy on Matthew and give him peace.

I feel so comforted from all of you and i can see how they helped Nana. Tonight I'm going to speak to a Father of a Church.
Thank-You! I think I've come across it before, i don't think i ever listened to it though.

That is true, i guess i'm just someone who is really fearful on everything, Lord willing i can find the place of peace and comfort with him.
It is good to hear that you have been going well and are on track in your journey.

I'm under like constant attack with them all ._. they come as feelings aswell so they are really strong and also just when i'm in a sleep type state, i have theological battles in my mind. Makes me wake up not feeling right at all.

With sin its a variety of things but mainly its just feeling like i'm sinning doing basic things such as eating then going ahead and eating or eating more. Just basic things, my conscious is defiled from my own doing.

Thank-You again Nana. I certainly will, thank-you for your help and love.

Lord, have mercy on your servant Elijah and by your Spirit both comfort him and guide him into all truth.

What you're describing many of us felt. To be outside the Church, forced to make judgments and discernments beyond the ability of an individual person, is a painful load to bear. Thankfully, you are in the process of casting that burden on the Holy Fathers and will soon find great relief. It's certainly proving to be a great relief for my family and me.

Thank-You for your prayer. It is so heavy, so so heavy, especially when you kinda have other people adding seeds of doubt and fear.
I hope you and your family continue in peace Porter!

Welcome to the forum. I pray God gives you the peace you seek in your life and spiritual walk.

Thank-You Jewish Voice. Thank-You for your prayers.

Hi, Elijah.  I hope you've found some comfort in Katherine and Gebre's words.  What they've said is true, especially Katherine's observation that you no longer have to worry about figuring things out for yourself.  If you think you might be harboring a misunderstanding about the Holy Trinity, the Incarnation, or anything else, just check and see what the Church has to say about it.  Chances are, whatever you're grappling with has already been worked out.  For example, when I was very young, in my early teens, I wondered if when the Logos took on a human body and became incarnate as Our Lord Jesus Christ, did He Himself stand in place of what would have been His own human soul?  To my young mind, this seemed logical.  I soon found out, however, that this was a heresy which compromised Christ's full humanity that the Church had dealt with and condemned in the 4th century.  There was no reason for me to re-fight this battle in my mind.

Also, remember that neither God nor His Church is going to condemn you for any misconceptions you might have so long as you don't try to pass them off as the Church's teaching.  That's why St. James warned us: "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, since you know that we will be judged more severely" (St. James 3:1).  For now, stay in the passenger's seat, ask questions, and learn.  You're off to a good start with the Indian Orthodox priest.

As far as rebaptism is concerned, it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  Some Orthodox jurisdictions (like the Syriacs, Armenians, & Byzantines) recognize any baptism performed in the name of the Holy Trinity to be valid and so do not feel the need to "re-baptize" Roman Catholics and some Protestants.  Other jurisdictions (like the Copts, Ethiopians, and Eritreans) will baptize someone like you, but they don't consider it a "re-baptism".  They consider the Orthodox baptism to be your first baptism.  If you're of the same mind (which you seem to be) maybe you should investigate one of those jurisdictions.

As far as your doubts are concerned, don't worry about them.  Pray, "Lord, I believe.  Help Thou my unbelief" and God will perfect His strength in your weakness.  It's all going to work out fine.  Please pray for me, and if you have any questions any time, please feel free to ask them here or message me.  :)

Thank-You Antonious! I have, they both are so kind. It is very uplifting and comforting to see believers like this.

It's always with myself the "What If" clause, it haunts me somewhat in my mind. What if this, What if that. I have somewhat of an understanding on it all my mind just can't comprehend it, especially the Trinity! The One God verses like hit me sometimes ._. It's like wait what, then i remember John and other verses that show Jesus is the creator and First and the Last and its like why didn't these come to mind earlier.

I find that also a great comfort, seeing heresies refuted by the Fathers. But i always think about what were the arguments the heretics put against them, what scriptures did they use, were they valid and actually refuted. I think way to much. Heresy is so common now, the amount of denominations and schisms, it places so much confusion in people, i think it also stops people from converting at times. But that's Satan for you.

Yes >< I really do hope i can be baptized! It's been somewhat discouraging somewhat due to emailing 2 Churches and also sending a text to one without getting a reply, maybe they just don't check there emails so much.

I prayed that this morning, I hope he saves me from this pit.
Thank-You so much for your kind words and time Antonious.
I appreciate it all, greatly.

Thank-You all so much.

Offline IXOYE

• Site Supporter
  • Archon
« Reply #9 on: December 04, 2014, 10:52:51 PM »
Welcome to the forum, ElijahVI !

Offline ElijahVI

« Reply #10 on: December 04, 2014, 10:57:10 PM »
Welcome to the forum, ElijahVI !

Thank-You IXOYE! Peace be with you.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #11 on: December 04, 2014, 11:14:31 PM »
WELCOME Elijah!

To settle some of the fears you describe, check out three places in the New Testament.
Luke 15:3-7 ------ the parable of the lost sheep.
John 10:11 ----- I am the Good shepherd...........[Who protects My flock]
and
Rev.3:10 "behold I stand at the door and knock"         [if anyone opens the door to Me I will come in and make My home with him..."
The Lord is just waiting for you; don't fret about this and that, just open the door......

I can't send you an engraved invitation to join the family, but it sounds to me as if you're almost home. :)
kyrie eleison

Offline ElijahVI

« Reply #12 on: December 04, 2014, 11:18:11 PM »
WELCOME Elijah!

To settle some of the fears you describe, check out three places in the New Testament.
Luke 15:3-7 ------ the parable of the lost sheep.
John 10:11 ----- I am the Good shepherd...........[Who protects My flock]
and
Rev.3:10 "behold I stand at the door and knock"         [if anyone opens the door to Me I will come in and make My home with him..."
The Lord is just waiting for you; don't fret about this and that, just open the door......

I can't send you an engraved invitation to join the family, but it sounds to me as if you're almost home. :)

Yes Almost! Thank-You for the Verses and the warm welcoming.
Peace be with you Methodius! ^_^

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #13 on: December 04, 2014, 11:20:21 PM »
Don't be too discouraged about not getting a reply right away.  You never know what is going on with people. Is there a number you can call?  But I do hope and pray you hear back soon.  If there is a website you might want to check if there are some evening services this week.  Our little mission is having a service tomorrow night, and the last evening service I went to, there were very few people there. It was a great opportunity to talk to the priest afterward without so many people as are there on Sundays.

Don't let your fears keep you away, you don't want to play into the hands of our enemy who would be quite happy to defeat us by dividing and conquering.  We have seen many people here on the forum who at some point go through this kind of turmoil. Once they make the move to get themselves to talk to the priest and go to Liturgy, things began to come right. Your thoughts will begin to follow your actions.

Don't forget to pray as often as you feel afraid or confused. Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me, a sinner!  Those who come to him he will not turn away.
Thy Bridal Chamber, I see adorned, O my Savior, and have no wedding garment that I may enter.  Enlighten the vesture of my soul, O Giver of Light, and save me.

Offline ElijahVI

« Reply #14 on: December 04, 2014, 11:26:33 PM »
Don't be too discouraged about not getting a reply right away.  You never know what is going on with people. Is there a number you can call?  But I do hope and pray you hear back soon.  If there is a website you might want to check if there are some evening services this week.  Our little mission is having a service tomorrow night, and the last evening service I went to, there were very few people there. It was a great opportunity to talk to the priest afterward without so many people as are there on Sundays.

Don't let your fears keep you away, you don't want to play into the hands of our enemy who would be quite happy to defeat us by dividing and conquering.  We have seen many people here on the forum who at some point go through this kind of turmoil. Once they make the move to get themselves to talk to the priest and go to Liturgy, things began to come right. Your thoughts will begin to follow your actions.

Don't forget to pray as often as you feel afraid or confused. Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me, a sinner!  Those who come to him he will not turn away.

I know, that's what i'm trying to say to myself >< Well for the Greek Orthodox Church Yes, I've tried to call twice along with a text but no reply, Perhaps they thought it was a prank due to my mum recalling them by mistake then saying its the wrong number or something along those lines. Sigh.

Well Tonight I'm Going to an Indian Orthodox Church and Tomorrow Lord willing i can make it to an Egyptian Orthodox Church! I rang one of the Fathers and he told me to come in. I hope the Lord protects me.

I hope so Nana hm. I've been saying the Jesus Prayer a fair bit lately haha It is a great comfort!

Thank-You again for your kind words!

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: In Hell I'll be in good company
« Reply #15 on: December 05, 2014, 02:20:09 AM »
Welcome, ElijahVI.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #16 on: December 05, 2014, 04:09:26 AM »

I know, that's what i'm trying to say to myself >< Well for the Greek Orthodox Church Yes, I've tried to call twice along with a text but no reply, Perhaps they thought it was a prank due to my mum recalling them by mistake then saying its the wrong number or something along those lines. Sigh.

Well Tonight I'm Going to an Indian Orthodox Church and Tomorrow Lord willing i can make it to an Egyptian Orthodox Church! I rang one of the Fathers and he told me to come in. I hope the Lord protects me.

I hope so Nana hm. I've been saying the Jesus Prayer a fair bit lately haha It is a great comfort!

Hope you enjoy your visits.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #17 on: December 05, 2014, 09:07:48 AM »
Elijah, here is the contact info for the Coptic Orthodox Diocese in your area:

http://www.melbcopts.org.au/

The "what if's" will always be there, but don't let them cloud you're mind.  You're right about the devil introducing doubt.  I was praying for you, and I felt compelled to type out a few paragraphs for you from a book called the The Unseen Warfare.  These words were a great comfort for me when I was going through a bit of a crisis (still am, pray for me), and I hope they will be for you.  (Forgive any errors.  I know it's a bit long, but I wanted you to get the full effect.)

Just as it is a pressing duty of every Christian when he loses his peace of heart to do all he can to restore it, so is it no less obligatory for him to allow no accidental happenings of life to disturb this peace; I mean illness, wounds, death of relatives, wars, fires, sudden joys, fears and sorrows, memories of former sins and errors, in a word everything which usually troubles and agitates the heart. It is indispensable in such case not to allow oneself to fell worry and agitation, for, having succumbed to them, a man loses self-possession and the capacity to understand events clearly and see the right way to act, each of which gives the enemy the possibility to agitate a man still more and push him to take some step, that is difficult or quite impossible to remedy

I do not mean to say you must not admit sorrow, for this is not in our power. What I mean is - do not let sorrow take possession of your heart and agitate it; keep it outside the bounds of your heart and hasten to soften and restrain it, so that it may not prevent you from reasoning soundly and acting rightly. With God's help this is in our power, if religious and moral feelings and dispositions are strong in us.

Each affliction has its own peculiarities and each requires its own remedies; but I speak now about them in general, having in view their common quality - to trouble and agitate the soul, and having in mind a general remedy against them. This remedy is faith in the good Providence, which arranges the course of our life with all its accidental happenings, for the good of each of us, and a serene compliance with God's will, expressed in our attitude, in accordance with which we call from the bottom of our heart: Let God's will be done! As the Lord wills, so let it be, and be for our good.

This good is realized and felt differently by different people. One realizes: this goodness of God's leads me to repentance; another feels: it is because of my sins that the Lord has sent me this trial, to purify me of them; I am bearing God's penance; a third thinks: the Lord is testing me, whether I serve Him sincerely. Those who look from outside at a man subjected to afflictions may think the fourth: this is sent him, that the works of God may be revealed in him. But such a verdict can be in place only when affliction is ended, and when God's help is evident in the soul of the afflicted man. Only the first three feelings should have place. No matter which of them enters the heart, each has the virtue and strength to still the rising storm of sorrow and establish peace and good cheer in the heart.

And here is a general means for making peace in the heart, when some affliction tires to disturb it: with all your strength make firm your faith in the goodness of God's Providence towards you and revive in your soul a devoted submission to God's will; then introduce into the heart the reflections mentioned above and urge it to feel that the affliction you suffer at this moment is either a means by which the Lord puts you to the test, or a purifying penance He imposes on you, or that He thus presses you to repent, either in general, or particularly in connection with some wrong action of yours, which has remained forgotten. As soon as the heart begins to have one such feeling, the pain immediately abates and these two other feelings also can come in. All these together will very quickly establish such peace and good cheer in you that you cannot but cry out: "Blessed be the name of the Lord forever!" These feelings in the troubled heart are as oil on the waves of the sea: the waves  are stilled and there is a great calm.

Thus bring peace to the heart, in whatever degree it be troubled. But if by long effort on yourself and by many spiritual endeavors you implant these feelings in your heart, so that it is always filled with them, then no affliction will ever trouble you, for this disposition will most effectively prevent them. I do not mean that feelings of sorrow will never assail you: they will come, but will at once retreat, as waves from a mighty cliff.

I really recommend the whole book, and if you want it, you can get it here (or, I'm sure you can also find it on an Australian site):

http://www.amazon.com/Unseen-Warfare-Spiritual-Paradise-Lorenzo/dp/0913836524/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417784622&sr=1-1&keywords=unseen+warfare

Pray for me as I pray for you.

A.N.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #18 on: December 05, 2014, 10:40:34 AM »
I think I am starting to figure out that you can learn about Orthodoxy from reading books etc, but the only way to become Orthodox is to just show up to services. As many as you can. Get to know the people there and become part of the life of the church.

POM!

So true.   :)
"If but ten of us lead a holy life, we shall kindle a fire which shall light up the entire city."

St. John Chrysostom

Offline ElijahVI

« Reply #19 on: December 05, 2014, 11:36:56 AM »
Welcome, ElijahVI.

Thank-You Hecma! ><

Don't be too discouraged about not getting a reply right away.  You never know what is going on with people. Is there a number you can call?  But I do hope and pray you hear back soon.  If there is a website you might want to check if there are some evening services this week.  Our little mission is having a service tomorrow night, and the last evening service I went to, there were very few people there. It was a great opportunity to talk to the priest afterward without so many people as are there on Sundays.

Don't let your fears keep you away, you don't want to play into the hands of our enemy who would be quite happy to defeat us by dividing and conquering.  We have seen many people here on the forum who at some point go through this kind of turmoil. Once they make the move to get themselves to talk to the priest and go to Liturgy, things began to come right. Your thoughts will begin to follow your actions.

Don't forget to pray as often as you feel afraid or confused. Lord Jesus Christ have mercy on me, a sinner!  Those who come to him he will not turn away.

Hope you enjoy your visits.

Thank-You Biro. I was late last night :( I didn't end up going in as they had a prayer gathering, i was ment to go there before it was on but was delayed. Never mind, today i'm going to the Coptic one, Will make sure i'm on time, Lord willing!.

The "what if's" will always be there, but don't let them cloud you're mind.  You're right about the devil introducing doubt.  I was praying for you, and I felt compelled to type out a few paragraphs for you from a book called the The Unseen Warfare.  These words were a great comfort for me when I was going through a bit of a crisis (still am, pray for me), and I hope they will be for you.  (Forgive any errors.  I know it's a bit long, but I wanted you to get the full effect.)

Just as it is a pressing duty of every Christian when he loses his peace of heart to do all he can to restore it, so is it no less obligatory for him to allow no accidental happenings of life to disturb this peace; I mean illness, wounds, death of relatives, wars, fires, sudden joys, fears and sorrows, memories of former sins and errors, in a word everything which usually troubles and agitates the heart. It is indispensable in such case not to allow oneself to fell worry and agitation, for, having succumbed to them, a man loses self-possession and the capacity to understand events clearly and see the right way to act, each of which gives the enemy the possibility to agitate a man still more and push him to take some step, that is difficult or quite impossible to remedy

I do not mean to say you must not admit sorrow, for this is not in our power. What I mean is - do not let sorrow take possession of your heart and agitate it; keep it outside the bounds of your heart and hasten to soften and restrain it, so that it may not prevent you from reasoning soundly and acting rightly. With God's help this is in our power, if religious and moral feelings and dispositions are strong in us.

Each affliction has its own peculiarities and each requires its own remedies; but I speak now about them in general, having in view their common quality - to trouble and agitate the soul, and having in mind a general remedy against them. This remedy is faith in the good Providence, which arranges the course of our life with all its accidental happenings, for the good of each of us, and a serene compliance with God's will, expressed in our attitude, in accordance with which we call from the bottom of our heart: Let God's will be done! As the Lord wills, so let it be, and be for our good.

This good is realized and felt differently by different people. One realizes: this goodness of God's leads me to repentance; another feels: it is because of my sins that the Lord has sent me this trial, to purify me of them; I am bearing God's penance; a third thinks: the Lord is testing me, whether I serve Him sincerely. Those who look from outside at a man subjected to afflictions may think the fourth: this is sent him, that the works of God may be revealed in him. But such a verdict can be in place only when affliction is ended, and when God's help is evident in the soul of the afflicted man. Only the first three feelings should have place. No matter which of them enters the heart, each has the virtue and strength to still the rising storm of sorrow and establish peace and good cheer in the heart.

And here is a general means for making peace in the heart, when some affliction tires to disturb it: with all your strength make firm your faith in the goodness of God's Providence towards you and revive in your soul a devoted submission to God's will; then introduce into the heart the reflections mentioned above and urge it to feel that the affliction you suffer at this moment is either a means by which the Lord puts you to the test, or a purifying penance He imposes on you, or that He thus presses you to repent, either in general, or particularly in connection with some wrong action of yours, which has remained forgotten. As soon as the heart begins to have one such feeling, the pain immediately abates and these two other feelings also can come in. All these together will very quickly establish such peace and good cheer in you that you cannot but cry out: "Blessed be the name of the Lord forever!" These feelings in the troubled heart are as oil on the waves of the sea: the waves  are stilled and there is a great calm.

Thus bring peace to the heart, in whatever degree it be troubled. But if by long effort on yourself and by many spiritual endeavors you implant these feelings in your heart, so that it is always filled with them, then no affliction will ever trouble you, for this disposition will most effectively prevent them. I do not mean that feelings of sorrow will never assail you: they will come, but will at once retreat, as waves from a mighty cliff.

I really recommend the whole book, and if you want it, you can get it here (or, I'm sure you can also find it on an Australian site):

http://www.amazon.com/Unseen-Warfare-Spiritual-Paradise-Lorenzo/dp/0913836524/ref=sr_1_1?s=books&ie=UTF8&qid=1417784622&sr=1-1&keywords=unseen+warfare

A.N.

A.N.

Thank-You Again Antonious! I believe i did email the Secretary, a few days ago. No reply so far but that is okay. I found a church on HisVine ^_^ which i'm going to today, so all is well in that aspect.

Never have i been more sure that i'm under attack. I came on here after waking up from the state where i notice often happening to me, It is a bizarre state of theological battles? If i recall correctly (I don't want to be a false witness, My Memory is blurry) There was a list of 3 Groups brought including what i think was Ebionites if i'm not wrong... planting doubts as if they were the actual truth. I think this was my somewhat of a dream, i can't recall fully. But i know this has been happening alot before waking sometimes, Just theological battles that always revolve around doubt. It's hard to explain.

Thank-You for your Prayers. Please do continue to pray for me, I will pray for you now.
I really do believe the trying of my faith is occurring now. The heaviness and the feeling of giving up is very strong. I think the book would be a great comfort to me and help with spiritual growth. Thank-You for taking the time to type the paragraph out!
Thank-You for everything.

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #20 on: December 05, 2014, 12:09:28 PM »
Hi, Elijah.  I hope you've found some comfort in Katherine and Gebre's words.  What they've said is true, especially Katherine's observation that you no longer have to worry about figuring things out for yourself.  If you think you might be harboring a misunderstanding about the Holy Trinity, the Incarnation, or anything else, just check and see what the Church has to say about it.  Chances are, whatever you're grappling with has already been worked out.  For example, when I was very young, in my early teens, I wondered if when the Logos took on a human body and became incarnate as Our Lord Jesus Christ, did He Himself stand in place of what would have been His own human soul?  To my young mind, this seemed logical.  I soon found out, however, that this was a heresy which compromised Christ's full humanity that the Church had dealt with and condemned in the 4th century.  There was no reason for me to re-fight this battle in my mind.

Also, remember that neither God nor His Church is going to condemn you for any misconceptions you might have so long as you don't try to pass them off as the Church's teaching.  That's why St. James warned us: "Not many of you should become teachers, my brothers, since you know that we will be judged more severely" (St. James 3:1).  For now, stay in the passenger's seat, ask questions, and learn.  You're off to a good start with the Indian Orthodox priest.

As far as rebaptism is concerned, it varies from jurisdiction to jurisdiction.  Some Orthodox jurisdictions (like the Syriacs, Armenians, & Byzantines) recognize any baptism performed in the name of the Holy Trinity to be valid and so do not feel the need to "re-baptize" Roman Catholics and some Protestants.  Other jurisdictions (like the Copts, Ethiopians, and Eritreans) will baptize someone like you, but they don't consider it a "re-baptism".  They consider the Orthodox baptism to be your first baptism.  If you're of the same mind (which you seem to be) maybe you should investigate one of those jurisdictions.

As far as your doubts are concerned, don't worry about them.  Pray, "Lord, I believe.  Help Thou my unbelief" and God will perfect His strength in your weakness.  It's all going to work out fine.  Please pray for me, and if you have any questions any time, please feel free to ask them here or message me.  :)

The section in bold is awesome commentary and most of us online, myself included, often lose sight of that. Clip it and print it out. It will serve you well over time.

Online ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
« Reply #21 on: December 05, 2014, 12:53:46 PM »

The section in bold is awesome commentary and most of us online, myself included, often lose sight of that. Clip it and print it out. It will serve you well over time.
Maybe it should be adopted as the official byline.
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #22 on: December 05, 2014, 01:44:34 PM »

Maybe it should be adopted as the official byline.

It is good to have you back!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #23 on: December 05, 2014, 03:46:38 PM »
Thank-You for your Prayers. Please do continue to pray for me, I will pray for you now.
I really do believe the trying of my faith is occurring now. The heaviness and the feeling of giving up is very strong. I think the book would be a great comfort to me and help with spiritual growth. Thank-You for taking the time to type the paragraph out!

Just one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread.  :)

Don't let the Ebionites - or whatever phantoms are tormenting your twilight sleep - frighten you.

"Don't be afraid...Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." (2 Kings 6:16)

Draw inspiration from the life of our great Father Among the Saints, St. Moses the Black.

When Abba Moses the Black Was Struggling With The Temptation of Fornication

Unable to stay any longer in the cell, he went and told Abba Isidore. Abba Isidore exhorted him to return to his cell. But he refused, saying, "Abba, I cannot."

Then Abba Isidore took Moses out onto the terrace and said to him, "Look towards the west." He looked and saw hordes of demons flying about and making a noise before launching an attack. Then Abba Isidore said to him, "Look towards the east." He turned and saw an innumerable multitude of holy angels shining with glory.

Abba Isidore said, "See, these are sent by the Lord to the saints to bring them help, while those in the west fight against them. Those who are with us are more in number than they are."

Then Abba Moses gave thanks to God, plucked up his courage, and returned to his cell.

http://coptorthodox.blogspot.com/2013/11/about-abba-moses-black.html

Offline ElijahVI

« Reply #24 on: December 08, 2014, 06:22:20 AM »

Just one beggar telling another beggar where to find bread.  :)

Don't let the Ebionites - or whatever phantoms are tormenting your twilight sleep - frighten you.

"Don't be afraid...Those who are with us are more than those who are with them." (2 Kings 6:16)

Draw inspiration from the life of our great Father Among the Saints, St. Moses the Black.

When Abba Moses the Black Was Struggling With The Temptation of Fornication

Unable to stay any longer in the cell, he went and told Abba Isidore. Abba Isidore exhorted him to return to his cell. But he refused, saying, "Abba, I cannot."

Then Abba Isidore took Moses out onto the terrace and said to him, "Look towards the west." He looked and saw hordes of demons flying about and making a noise before launching an attack. Then Abba Isidore said to him, "Look towards the east." He turned and saw an innumerable multitude of holy angels shining with glory.

Abba Isidore said, "See, these are sent by the Lord to the saints to bring them help, while those in the west fight against them. Those who are with us are more in number than they are."

Then Abba Moses gave thanks to God, plucked up his courage, and returned to his cell.

http://coptorthodox.blogspot.com/2013/11/about-abba-moses-black.html

Thank-you again, I'm sorry for being so delayed. I have been in such a wavering state .-. I didn't end up going to either of the churches and right now i'm just abit worried. Tomorrow i'm making myself go.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25 on: December 08, 2014, 08:41:25 AM »
Thank-you again, I'm sorry for being so delayed. I have been in such a wavering state .-. I didn't end up going to either of the churches and right now i'm just abit worried. Tomorrow i'm making myself go.

God be with you.  I'll be praying for you.  :)

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #26 on: December 08, 2014, 09:40:37 AM »
may God give you strength.

also if the anxiety is getting worse, you may need to see your doctor for some health advice.
spiritual and physical remedies work very well together.
 :)

Offline ElijahVI

« Reply #27 on: December 08, 2014, 09:53:44 AM »

Thank-You Antonious. I appreciate your support very much!

also if the anxiety is getting worse, you may need to see your doctor for some health advice.

Thank-You too Mabsoota!
I'm currently on fluoxitine sadly. It helps but then again i think it's placed me in bondage, I wish i could get off it without side effects.
Thats Life though, Hopefully i can get healed.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2014, 10:25:23 AM »

Thank-You Antonious. I appreciate your support very much!

Thank-You too Mabsoota!
I'm currently on fluoxitine sadly. It helps but then again i think it's placed me in bondage, I wish i could get off it without side effects.

Lord have mercy.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist

Warning: stories have mature content.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2014, 11:38:08 AM »
Hopefully i can get healed.

Lord have mercy.  St. Panteleimon pray for us.

Offline NanaDeborah

• Elder
« Reply #30 on: December 08, 2014, 10:50:54 PM »

Good advice.

And we are praying for you.  Lord have mercy! 

Stay in touch!

Offline katherineofdixie

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #31 on: December 09, 2014, 10:36:38 AM »

Thank-You too Mabsoota!

Thank God there is a medicine that can help you. Unfortunately all medications have side effects. Taking fluoxitine if it helps is just the same as taking medicine for a heart condition or for diabetes.

St. John Chrysostom