Author Topic: Orthodox Ohrid Archbishopric (Macedonia) what happened?  (Read 653 times)

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
  • A pulling horse cannot kick.
Orthodox Ohrid Archbishopric (Macedonia) what happened?
« on: December 02, 2014, 02:36:04 PM »
I've been looking into the "coming into world orthodoxy" of the subject stated autonomous church.   I've read into their history a lot and googled around a bunch.  I can't really find any information on why this group (specifics) on why there was such persecution as they mended with the Serbian Orthodox Church.

Of course I have a language barrier (and google translate tends to botch things up LOL).  I'm wondering if any of you have information why there was the small upheaval.  (I'm sure its complicated but all I can read is there was persecution but no info on exactly why).

Also curious as to why they reached out to the Serbian OC rather than the Greek Orthodox Church.  ???
« Last Edit: December 02, 2014, 02:36:51 PM by yeshuaisiam »
I learned how to be more frugal and save money at http://www.livingpress.com

Offline Regnare

• High Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
Re: Orthodox Ohrid Archbishopric (Macedonia) what happened?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2014, 10:20:34 PM »
The Archbishopric of Ohrid was not originally the same as the Macedonian Orthodox Church, because there was no distinct group of Macedonian Slavs (as far as I know), and in fact, the Archbishop of Ohrid was actually the centre of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church. The region now known as Macedonia was taken from Bulgaria and given to Serbia at the end of World War I, and two years later the Serbian Orthodox Church was reestablished to cover that whole area.
It wasn't until after the fall of communist Yugoslavia that the newly independent Macedonians attempted to establish their own autocephalous church without asking Belgrade for permission. The Macedonian government unfortunately complicated the issue by treating all clergy who remained loyal to Belgrade as foreign agents and putting them in jail (case in point: the current canonical Archbishop of Ohrid, His Eminence Jovan).
"He that dwelleth in the secret place of the most High shall abide under the shadow of the Almighty. I will say of the Lord, He is my refuge and my fortress: my God; in him will I trust." --Psalm 91: 1-2

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2014, 12:51:17 AM »
The Archbishopric of Ohrid was not originally the same as the Macedonian Orthodox Church, because there was no distinct group of Macedonian Slavs (as far as I know), and in fact, the Archbishop of Ohrid was actually the centre of the Bulgarian Orthodox Church. The region now known as Macedonia was taken from Bulgaria and given to Serbia at the end of World War I, and two years later the Serbian Orthodox Church was reestablished to cover that whole area.
It wasn't until after the fall of communist Yugoslavia that the newly independent Macedonians attempted to establish their own autocephalous church without asking Belgrade for permission. The Macedonian government unfortunately complicated the issue by treating all clergy who remained loyal to Belgrade as foreign agents and putting them in jail (case in point: the current canonical Archbishop of Ohrid, His Eminence Jovan).

Okay, thank you for the information. 

I saw that Eastern Orthodox Bishop Jovan was jailed without trial.  That would make sense if he was treated as a foreign agent.  I could not figure out why he was jailed.   Of course their country (so really I have no say-so), but it sounds unjustified.    Thanks again.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2014, 12:55:46 AM »
Reminds me of the ongoing issues in Ethiopia and Eritrea (the governments in those countries are both dictatorial and fairly hostile to the Church at times, and there are splits in both places, if I remember correctly, between those who follow the original bishop who is exiled/in jail and those who follow the one who is the government's new "favorite").

There are two Ethiopian Orthodox parishes in the Minneapolis area; I haven't been to either one yet, but from what I recall, both of them have been riven by internal disputes over who to recognize. Even though the bylaws of one of the parishes specifically stated that the parish was to remain neutral.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline yeshuaisiam

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2014, 01:20:52 AM »
Reminds me of the ongoing issues in Ethiopia and Eritrea (the governments in those countries are both dictatorial and fairly hostile to the Church at times, and there are splits in both places, if I remember correctly, between those who follow the original bishop who is exiled/in jail and those who follow the one who is the government's new "favorite").

There are two Ethiopian Orthodox parishes in the Minneapolis area; I haven't been to either one yet, but from what I recall, both of them have been riven by internal disputes over who to recognize. Even though the bylaws of one of the parishes specifically stated that the parish was to remain neutral.

Yes, doesn't it?  I was aware of Ethiopia (some) but have not looked much into Eritrea.  It's so tough to see any clergy jailed especially who just want to lead their flock to Christ.  

Eastern Orthodox Bishop Jovan I believe was trying to do just that in the best way he knew how.  Then I read he was jailed (especially without trial) and was kind of shocked as I could not find any criminal element or disloyalty to the church or anything.... Honestly it's really kind of sad that happened.
« Last Edit: December 03, 2014, 01:21:08 AM by yeshuaisiam »

Offline mabsoota

• Archon
  • Kyrie eleison
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox (Coptic)
« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2014, 01:46:30 PM »
about eritrea, see here:
http://britishorthodox.org/tag/abune-antonios/
(several articles to explain the situation)

and here:
http://www.orthodoxchristianity.net/forum/index.php/topic,58396.0.html
(a very good web site!)

i was blessed to met bishop makarios this year!
(on the right here:)
http://britishorthodox.org/1241/abba-seraphim-addresses-the-eritrean-orthodox-diocese-of-north-america/

feel free to split this off it is not relevant enough to the topic,
i just want to remind people to please pray for eritrea
 :)