OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 28, 2014, 10:43:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Altar Girls  (Read 1891 times) Average Rating: 0
BasilCan

« on: May 25, 2005, 10:42:15 PM »

Do any OO Churches use Altar girls either here in North America or "back in the old country"?

Basil
Coptic

« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2005, 02:29:56 AM »

The Coptic Church is recently reviving the position of Deaconesses.

God Bless,
Elizabeth
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2005, 06:27:13 AM »

The position of deaconess does NOT allow the deaconess to enter the altar. They help in communion of women, organizational tasks relating to young ladies and assisting (without any priesthood authority) in the sacrament such as baptism of converted ladies. Except for priests of all ranks (from the Pope to the newly ordained priest), the deacon ranks and the orthodox king or president (never had any), nonody is allowed to enter the altar.

The answer is then :NO. No altar girls.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
joe77

« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2005, 08:04:32 AM »

Dose any OO or EO  let female to serve  or even enter  in the Holy Alter
we dont do that in India
would like to know the reason behind this if this is the orthodox practice every where

NULL
Irish Hermit
Kibernetski Kaludjer
Warned
Merarches

Holy Father Patrick, pray for us

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2005, 08:35:02 AM »

Except for priests of all ranks (from the Pope to the newly ordained priest), the deacon ranks and the orthodox king or president (never had any), nonody is allowed to enter the altar.
There are a number of Orthodox presidents -Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania...  Do they enter the altar? 
Timos
High Elder

« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2005, 04:58:17 PM »

Hi all, I'm new here...
As for Orthodox rulers, traditionally, they are allowed to enter the altar especialyl during feast days (if they are i ngood standing with the church).

In the Armenian Apostolic Church, there are girls who are called "tubirs" and they are sort of altar girls but they do not say anything in terms of prayers or litanies as far as I know. Once they hit puberty, they stop serving at the altar. I beleive they do things like hold candles, sing in the choir, go in processions- and their clothes are almost identical to the Armenian altar boys'. Also, they wear a veil.

In the Byantine churches, long ago, deaconesses were allowed to receive communion in their hands from the nad of the priest inside the altar but they did not give a blessing. Even a male dezcon does not give a blessing. This si what a priest told me but then again primary historic soruces are few and vague and each local church did things slightly different.
Jennifer
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2005, 12:08:19 AM »

Dose any OO or EO  let female to serve  or even enter  in the Holy Alter
we dont do that in India
would like to know the reason behind this if this is the orthodox practice every where

I've heard that nuns are allowed in the Altar in monasteries.  I was told that they assist the priest during the liturgy. 

Orthodoc
Supporter & Defender Of Orthodoxy
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: OCA

Those who ignore history tend to repeat it.

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2005, 01:13:24 AM »

I've heard that nuns are allowed in the Altar in monasteries.ÂÂ  I was told that they assist the priest during the liturgy.ÂÂ  

Usually in Orthodox womens Monasteries an elderly nun is given permission to enter the Sanctuary by the local Bishop.  She must be past child bearing age from what I understand.  When I was at the OCA Sobor in Pittsburgh a few years back we visited the local OCA womens monastery.  While we were in the Chapel an elderly nun came out of one of the deacon doors and censed the Chapel with a hand censer.  The mother superior was surprised that none of us commented on it.  But we all seemed to be aware of this practice within Orthodoxy.

Orthodoc

Oh Lord, Save thy people and bless thine inheritance.
Grant victory to the Orthodox Christians over their adversaries.
And by virtue of thy Cross preserve thy habitation.
Stavro
Warned
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2005, 02:29:09 AM »

There are a number of Orthodox presidents -Greece, Bulgaria, Serbia, Macedonia, Romania...ÂÂ  Do they enter the altar?ÂÂ  
I believe these are countries under the jurisdiction of EO, and I have no idea whether their presidents are religious or not and how they are treated when they take communion.

In that day there will be an altar to the LORD in the heart of Egypt, and a monument to the LORD at its border. (Isaiah 19:19)

" God forbid I should see the face of Judah or listen to his blasphemy" (Gerontius, Archmanidrite of the monastery of St. Melania)
yBeayf
High Elder

/etc

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2005, 07:38:28 PM »

Since none of those presidents are annointed as sovereigns over their respective countries, they probably wouldn't get to enter the altar as an Orthodox monarch would.
Tags: altar girls deaconess 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: