Author Topic: Isaiah 7:14 happened twice !?  (Read 1227 times)

Raylight

Isaiah 7:14 happened twice !?
« on: November 24, 2014, 03:01:07 PM »
I have a Conservative Protestant Bible with comments, and in the comment on Isaiah 7:14 mentioned that it may happened twice.

Is that true ? What about the Orthodox perspective on this prophecy ? Does the Holy Tradition mention that this prophecy happened twice ?

Here is the full context of the prophecy.

"10 Again the Lord spoke to Ahaz, 11 “Ask the Lord your God for a sign, whether in the deepest depths or in the highest heights.” 12 But Ahaz said, “I will not ask; I will not put the Lord to the test.” 13 Then Isaiah said, “Hear now, you house of David! Is it not enough to try the patience of humans? Will you try the patience of my God also? 14 Therefore the Lord himself will give you a sign: The virgin will conceive and give birth to a son, and will call him Immanuel. 15 He will be eating curds and honey when he knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, 16 for before the boy knows enough to reject the wrong and choose the right, the land of the two kings you dread will be laid waste. 17 The Lord will bring on you and on your people and on the house of your father a time unlike any since Ephraim broke away from Judah—he will bring the king of Assyria.”  "

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Re: Isaiah 7:14 happened twice !?
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 03:17:48 PM »
More than likely it means the verse was written down twice in the manuscript. 
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Raylight

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 03:42:52 PM »
More than likely it means the verse was written down twice in the manuscript.  

Well, I think it meant that the prophecy itself happened twice. Because it also said that some believe the daughter of Isaiah is meant by this prophecy, other think it is another woman from the time of Isaiah. That is why I was troubled by it, because some websites I went to said that if this prophecy happened twice then it means in the Bible we have two women gave birth while they are virgins. Which I don't believe, because I believe the Virgin Mary, Mother of God is the one and only woman who gave birth as a virgin.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 03:44:13 PM by Raylight »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Stratopedarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 03:44:25 PM »
Would you quote the commentary and source?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline eddybear

• OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox, awaiting Chrismation
  • Jurisdiction: Diocese of Sourozh
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 03:58:57 PM »
AFAIK, the Hebrew word translated "virgin" also means "maiden", i.e. it does not necessarily imply virginity. The Blessed Virgin Mary is indeed the only woman who gave birth while still a virgin.

If you read on to chapter 8, it seems the prophecy of a child being born came about in the natural way, but that was a foreshadowing of the fulfilment of the prophecy in Christ.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 04:03:37 PM by eddybear »

Raylight

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 04:52:26 PM »
Would you quote the commentary and source?

I have the book with me but I don't know if I can find its source online. However, here is a website with several commentaries on the verse. Notice the commentary of Barnes.

http://biblehub.com/commentaries/isaiah/7-14.htm

Anyway, what is the Orthodox perspective on this ?

Raylight

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 04:54:58 PM »
AFAIK, the Hebrew word translated "virgin" also means "maiden", i.e. it does not necessarily imply virginity. The Blessed Virgin Mary is indeed the only woman who gave birth while still a virgin.

If you read on to chapter 8, it seems the prophecy of a child being born came about in the natural way, but that was a foreshadowing of the fulfilment of the prophecy in Christ.

I thought of that too. That the word has two meaning clearly and one is what happened in Isaiah 8 and the other which is more important is the virgin birth of the Lord Jesus Christ. As if it is two sign in one.

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 06:30:18 PM »
I think it's more than possible for a passage from scripture to have more than one interpretation. Isaiah himself may have left the passage ambiguous on purpose. What's important is how the Church has interpreted since then. Since St. Matthew includes it in his gospel as a prophecy that points towards Christ, any other reading of the passage is secondary. Plus, the name Immanuel (God is with us) points towards Christ's divinity.
All along the watchtower, princes kept the view
While all the women came and went, barefoot servants, too
Outside in the distance a wildcat did growl
Two riders were approaching, the wind began to howl