Author Topic: A New Pastoral Challenge: Zoophilia  (Read 11028 times)

Offline Clemente

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
A New Pastoral Challenge: Zoophilia
« on: November 24, 2014, 06:23:57 PM »
Is the popularisation of zoophilia a threat to the Orthodox Church’s stance on matrimony being the sanctified union of one man and one woman? This question is again being asked by many Orthodox Christians in light of this week's New York Magazine article “What It’s Like to Date a Horse.”

The popularisation of zoophilia in some of our states offers the faithful the opportunity to reflect on the long and complex history of monogamous heterosexual human-human marriage within the Orthodox Church, a history that has seen the Church changing her stances with respect to issues such as slavery and divorce.

If the Church is going to repond to the popularisation of zoophilia it seems that it should begin by considering how to minister to those man/animal couples who come and knock/paw on the doors of our parishes seeking Christ. Do we ignore them? Do we, prima facie, turn them away? Do we, under the rubric of repentance, encourage them to dismount their relationships? Or, do we offer them, as we offer anyone desiring Christ, pastoral care, love and a spiritual home/stable?

Indeed, the Church has never cantered down this untrodden path. But our history teaches us that what is new need not compromise Christ who is the “same yesterday, today and forever.” If the never changing Gospel who is Jesus Christ is to have a credible presence and role in our culture, both in cities and in the countryside, then the Church can no longer ignore or condemn questions and issues such as zoophilia that are presumed to contradict or challenge its living Tradition.

Orthodox Christians who misuse the never changing Christ to verbally and physically assault those humans or animals who practice zoophilia, whom they perceive as immoral, impose on the Church, in the words of Father Georges Florovsky, a “new and alien spirit.” The Church will have to expose and ultimately expel the “new and alien spirits” that have weakened its authentic voice to provide pastoral care to man/animal couples.

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 06:52:26 PM by Clemente »

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Hoplitarches
  • You're my guardian angel hiding in the woods
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Enemy State Orthodox Church Abroad
Re: A New Pastoral Challenge: Zoophilia
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2014, 07:05:21 PM »
Did Eric Rudolph become Orthodox?
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline Mor Ephrem

• A highly skilled and trained Freudian feminist slut
  • Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
  • A well-sexed theologian
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: Mercenary Freudianism
  • Jurisdiction: Texas Feminist Coptic
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2014, 07:10:16 PM »
Indeed, the Church has never cantered down this untrodden path.

LOL, nice try. 
This post gave me autism.

Since when has a Hierarch done anything for you? . . .

Apparently you can get the Juice or Power from a certain Icon.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2014, 07:18:41 PM »
What is going on in here?

God bless!

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
  • Race: Human. Culture: Yes.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 07:20:16 PM »
Baaaaah, humbug.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

~ bookshelf ~ ugly writing ~ jukebox ~

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2014, 07:27:19 PM »
Troll rating 4/10

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:29:14 PM by NicholasMyra »
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2014, 07:46:35 PM »
Hollywood and the liberal media have been paving the way for this for generations!  America, you stand warned!

« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 07:47:37 PM by Antonious Nikolas »
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2014, 08:22:27 PM »
Troll rating 4/10

I took it to be a satire of gay rights talk.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2014, 08:30:38 PM »
Troll rating 4/10

It's a poorly-executed word-substitution of Fr. Arida's blog post.
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #9 on: November 24, 2014, 08:36:15 PM »
The DSM(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) lists zoophilia as a disorder. However if the patient does not feel distressed or faced any interference with his/her lifestyle, it suggests not giving treatment. To bluntly put it, zoophilia is normal as long as you are fine with it and that it does not interfere with your daily pattern of life.  ;)
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:36:40 PM by sakura95 »
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

• Taxiarches
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2014, 08:45:57 PM »
The DSM(Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders) lists zoophilia as a disorder. However if the patient does not feel distressed or faced any interference with his/her lifestyle, it suggests not giving treatment. To bluntly put it, zoophilia is normal as long as you are fine with it and that it does not interfere with your daily pattern of life.  ;)

Beside the point.  Like Nicholas said, this was just an ineffective, ham-fisted way of asserting that Fr. Robert Arida's perceived defense of homosexual unions (which has not been actually proven by anyone) could be applied to other perversions.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #11 on: November 24, 2014, 08:51:15 PM »

Beside the point.  Like Nicholas said, this was just an ineffective, ham-fisted way of asserting that Fr. Robert Arida's perceived defense of homosexual unions (which has not been actually proven by anyone) could be applied to other perversions.

Why let details get in the way of having a gay old time?

Offline sakura95

• Resident Philosonoob
  • OC.net guru
  • Faith: Orthodox seeker
  • Jurisdiction: Deanery of Great Britain and Ireland
« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2014, 09:05:07 PM »

I agree with you. My quote above is merely stating what the DSM have to say about zoophilia which that it is 'normal' if the individual is not distressed or face no interference in his/her daily life.

Just to be clear, I oppose zoophilia and am not cool with it for obvious reasons.
My Lord, My Lord, give my worthless soul the illumination of Wisdom in your mercy

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #13 on: November 24, 2014, 09:27:39 PM »
Troll rating 4/10

It's a poorly-executed word-substitution of Fr. Arida's blog post.

I suppose I should have read the original that everyone is talking about...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #14 on: November 24, 2014, 09:29:26 PM »
It really wasn't that big of a deal, but you know how some people make mountains out of molehills...  :-\
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
    • Archive of Our Own works
« Reply #15 on: November 24, 2014, 09:30:52 PM »
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"Some people only feel good when they are praising the Lord." - Coptic bishop

Show me the meaning of the word

Leave me alone, I was only singing

"You know, I don't know any writer who doesn't hate writing, so I guess what I'm saying is, I hate my life." - Lawrence O'Donnell

"I like fake violence and real peace." - John Fugelsang

Offline Bob2

• High Elder
« Reply #16 on: November 24, 2014, 10:18:59 PM »
  Like Nicholas said, this was just an ineffective, ham-fisted way of asserting that Fr. Robert Arida's perceived defense of homosexual unions (which has not been actually proven by anyone) could be applied to other perversions.

I think that people are reading issues into the OP that aren't really there. What am I and readers like me missing? You've proven nothing here either. I'll admit it isn't clear... but no where does the original poster say that this is satire and not genuine pastoral concern. This seems like a witch hunt to me ;)

Offline Gunnarr

• Archon
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2014, 01:31:49 AM »
how is zoophilia a new challenge, when it has been around for thousands of years
I am a demonic servant! Beware!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #18 on: November 25, 2014, 01:53:36 AM »
how is zoophilia a new challenge, when it has been around for thousands of years

It isn't new. Clemente just has to find something to worry about, because without his help, we are all this close to assaulting farm animals. Or something.
https://archiveofourown.org/users/Parakeetist/works Warning: stories have mature content.

"You know, I don't know any writer who doesn't hate writing, so I guess what I'm saying is, I hate my life." - Lawrence O'Donnell

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #19 on: November 25, 2014, 01:56:29 AM »
I think my cat is flirting with me.

Keep me from temptation.
God bless!

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #20 on: November 25, 2014, 01:59:07 AM »
I think my cat is flirting with me.

Keep me from temptation.

As you wish.

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #21 on: November 25, 2014, 03:07:52 AM »
  Like Nicholas said, this was just an ineffective, ham-fisted way of asserting that Fr. Robert Arida's perceived defense of homosexual unions (which has not been actually proven by anyone) could be applied to other perversions.

I think that people are reading issues into the OP that aren't really there. What am I and readers like me missing? You've proven nothing here either. I'll admit it isn't clear... but no where does the original poster say that this is satire and not genuine pastoral concern. This seems like a witch hunt to me ;)

It's more than a witch hunt; its a lynching! Some posters here are trying to make a lot of hay out of nothing, trotting out their accusations based on rumour and inuendo. I have not seen any evidence. None.

I accept the Orthodoxchristianity.net affirmation of Orthodox belief regarding zoophilia and have stated this many times. I am just ruminating on important questions of a distinctly pastoral nature.

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Αλάσκανος
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #22 on: November 25, 2014, 03:53:49 AM »

It's more than a witch hunt; its a lynching! Some posters here are trying to make a lot of hay out of nothing, trotting out their accusations based on rumour and inuendo. I have not seen any evidence. None.

I accept the Orthodoxchristianity.net affirmation of Orthodox belief regarding zoophilia and have stated this many times. I am just ruminating on important questions of a distinctly pastoral nature.

"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #23 on: November 25, 2014, 08:34:25 AM »

We all still agree to counter the issue of interhorse with a resounding 'Neigh!'
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #24 on: November 25, 2014, 08:48:30 AM »
Well zoophilia is less sinful than homosexual sex since the latter is fornication whereas the former is technically just masturbation.

• Taxiarches
« Reply #25 on: November 25, 2014, 09:33:34 AM »

Subtle.

If you guys truly think Fr. Robert Arida was calling for acceptance of homosexuality, bestiality, or anything else, prove it.  Otherwise, this is all a farce.

Well zoophilia is less sinful than homosexual sex since the latter is fornication whereas the former is technically just masturbation.

And that's the thread!

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #26 on: November 25, 2014, 03:47:07 PM »
Thank you. This is precisely the sort of invaluable reflection that we Orthodox desperately need in order to present the never-changing gospel of Jesus Christ to an ever-changing culture. Sadly, some Orthodox are saddled with a new and alien mindset that reigns in their ability to consider these difficult issues, particularly zoophilia. Many adult converts have been roped into Orthodoxy by the misconception that nothing changes in the Church and that the Gospel is a text. In fact, we know that the biblical text is alive; its content demands ongoing interpretation regarding controversial issues.

To meet the equine challenges of an ever-changing culture, Orthodox Christians need to critique and build upon the writings and vision of the Fathers. If the never changing Gospel is to have a credible presence and role in our culture, then the Church can no longer blithely gallop along, ignoring or condemning questions and issues such as zoophilia that are presumed to contradict or challenge its living Tradition.   

Thank you for spurring on this important dialogue.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #27 on: November 25, 2014, 03:53:59 PM »
I was tempted to ask for an explanation of this because that is not in any way true, but I feel that it is probably best that I leave that sleeping dog lie rather than poking it.  No pun intended.  ;)
God bless!

Offline Hawkeye

• Διονύσιος ὁ Αλάσκανος
  • OC.net guru
  • Matthew 27:52-53
  • Faith: Like unto Neronov
  • Jurisdiction: Old Rite, Chapelist
« Reply #28 on: November 25, 2014, 06:28:39 PM »
Thank you. This is precisely the sort of invaluable reflection that we Orthodox desperately need in order to present the never-changing gospel of Jesus Christ to an ever-changing culture. Sadly, some Orthodox are saddled with a new and alien mindset that reigns in their ability to consider these difficult issues, particularly zoophilia. Many adult converts have been roped into Orthodoxy by the misconception that nothing changes in the Church and that the Gospel is a text. In fact, we know that the biblical text is alive; its content demands ongoing interpretation regarding controversial issues.

To meet the equine challenges of an ever-changing culture, Orthodox Christians need to critique and build upon the writings and vision of the Fathers. If the never changing Gospel is to have a credible presence and role in our culture, then the Church can no longer blithely gallop along, ignoring or condemning questions and issues such as zoophilia that are presumed to contradict or challenge its living Tradition.   

Thank you for spurring on this important dialogue.

The rest of them are vague enough, but you overreached by using "equine." I don't believe it has any definitions beyond the one.

Considering your repeat use of such language, I imagine you've seen the recent article on this very subject published by the New York magazine, correct?

God forbid that you've actually read it.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 06:47:36 PM by Hawkeye »
"Take heed, you who listen to me: Our misfortune is inevitable, we cannot escape it. If God allows scandals, it is that the elect shall be revealed. Let them be burned, let them be purified, let them who have been tried be made manifest among you."   - The Life of the Archpriest Avvakum by Himself

Offline orthonorm

• BANNED for rules violations
  • Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #29 on: November 25, 2014, 06:44:18 PM »
New? What did the Greeks do when boys weren't around? They some of the pastoral imagery rather seriously . . .

Offline JamesR

• The Second Coming of Jason
  • Taxiarches
  • Remember me?
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: OCA
« Reply #30 on: November 26, 2014, 12:25:41 AM »
New? What did the Greeks do when boys weren't around? They some of the pastoral imagery rather seriously . . .

This

And you guys proclaim yourselves experts on Orthodoxy. Have you read the Canons? There are several that deal with zoophilia and sex with livestock. The Old Testament of the Bible even mentions it.

Offline Rose Sitzman

• BANNED as a duplicate account
« Reply #31 on: November 26, 2014, 07:14:20 AM »

It isn't new. Clemente just has to find something to worry about, because without his help, we are all this close to assaulting farm animals. Or something.

Or maybe you're that close to assaulting farm animals. ;)

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #32 on: November 27, 2014, 02:48:47 AM »

Subtle.

If you guys truly think Fr. Robert Arida was calling for acceptance of homosexuality, bestiality, or anything else, prove it.  Otherwise, this is all a farce.

Are you making inferences about something that isn't in the text? Is that ever reasonable?

If you truly think the OP is referring to anything other than the topic of zoophilia, prove it! Where is the evidence?

Otherwise, your post is a farce.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #33 on: November 27, 2014, 03:06:55 AM »

Subtle.

Are you making inferences about something that isn't in the text? Is that ever reasonable?

If you truly think the OP is referring to anything other than the topic of zoophilia, prove it! Where is the evidence?

It's not "making inferences" when it's patently obvious what you were copying/referring to in your post.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:09:20 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Chiere

• Penalty Box
  • High Elder
  • Faith: Roman Catholic
  • Jurisdiction: Indianapolis
« Reply #34 on: November 27, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »

Why are you insulting him like this? Maybe he's genuinely concerned about how the church sees this issue.
To God Be the Glory!

Offline Chiere

• Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #35 on: November 27, 2014, 08:12:04 AM »

So you're condoning zoophilia as an alternative to homosexual sex? Interesting. That doesn't sound very Christian to me.
To God Be the Glory!

• Taxiarches
« Reply #36 on: November 27, 2014, 09:30:14 AM »

Subtle.

Yeah, that's what I thought.  You've got nothing.  :)

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #37 on: November 27, 2014, 10:33:03 AM »

Subtle.

It's not "making inferences" when it's patently obvious what you were copying/referring to in your post.

Nothing wrong with drawing inferences. Circumstantial evidence is just fine. Plenty of it here, and by here I don't mean this thread in isolation but in the totality of recent postings on the forum.

Offline Clemente

• Elder
« Reply #38 on: November 27, 2014, 12:27:13 PM »

Why are you insulting him like this? Maybe he's genuinely concerned about how the church sees this issue.

Thank you Chiere for bucking the trend here to actually address the issue at hand--zoophilia--rather than veering off the trail onto tangents. You may have noticed that in Orthodoxy there is a new and alien spirit that refuses even to engage in discussion regarding certain important contemporary issues, particularly those relating to sexual morality. Rather than treating such issues with thoughtful equinimity, these are too often treated contemptuously with cynical jockeylarity. The Bible is, after all, not a text, but rather is alive -a living document--and the Church has changed her positions in the past regarding other challenging issues such as divorce and slavery.

I am just trying to provide some fodder for discussion about an important contemporary challenge to the spread of the unchanging Gospel.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #39 on: November 27, 2014, 12:30:10 PM »

Thank you Chiere for bucking the trend here to actually address the issue at hand--zoophilia--rather than veering off the trail onto tangents. You may have noticed that in Orthodoxy there is a new and alien spirit that refuses even to engage in discussion regarding certain important contemporary issues, particularly those relating to sexual morality. Rather than treating such issues with thoughtful equinimity, these are too often treated contemptuously with cynical jockeylarity. The Bible is, after all, not a text, but rather is alive -a living document--and the Church has changed her positions in the past regarding other challenging issues such as divorce and slavery.

I am just trying to provide some fodder for discussion about an important contemporary challenge to the spread of the unchanging Gospel.

Would you just quit horsing around already?

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 12:48:29 PM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #40 on: November 27, 2014, 12:45:57 PM »
zoophilia is not in fact ' just masturbation' as James R suggests; it has been known for many years, centuries in fact, as 'buggery.'
[as opposed to 'sodomy' which is of course unnatural sexual relationships with human beings.]

In spite of modern 'politically correct' attitudes.......
kyrie eleison

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Stratopedarches
  • Excelsior
« Reply #41 on: November 27, 2014, 01:14:07 PM »

I'm not insulting him.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #42 on: November 27, 2014, 01:14:44 PM »

For some reason this image reminds me of the humans-turning-into-pigs scene from the movie Willow, which I found very disturbing to watch as a kid. This one doesn't evoke the same emotions though, so I guess I shouldn't look a gif horse in the mouth.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #43 on: November 27, 2014, 01:21:47 PM »
Hay there! I'd he's in strawng need of a facelift, and some orthodontic attention as well....
kyrie eleison

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #44 on: November 27, 2014, 03:20:44 PM »
Actually, the best topic for 'A New Pastoral Challenge' if one not related to sexual matters, monasticism, fasting, the calendar, schisms or whatever - we who post here and elsewhere are part of the challenge as a real problem confronting real life Bishops, priests and parish communities is this:
 "A New Pastoral Challenge - Dealing with the impact of internet apologetics and the influence of inaccurate or conflicting information about the teachings of the Church spread via social media in the 21st century."   :(
« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 03:21:19 PM by podkarpatska »

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
« Reply #45 on: November 28, 2014, 06:41:48 PM »

For some reason this image reminds me of the humans-turning-into-pigs scene from the movie Willow, which I found very disturbing to watch as a kid. This one doesn't evoke the same emotions though, so I guess I shouldn't look a gif horse in the mouth.

Oh, but we already are pigs, at least according to one biologist.

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #46 on: November 28, 2014, 08:26:05 PM »
Oh, but we already are pigs, at least according to one biologist.

And many women.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 08:26:20 PM by Mor Ephrem »

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #47 on: November 28, 2014, 10:06:38 PM »
maybe so; but that's no reason to make an ass of yourself........
kyrie eleison

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #48 on: November 28, 2014, 10:15:53 PM »
Given that we aren't supposed to marry close relatives, one might infer that the more distantly related, the more appropriate the partner becomes, so really we should be mating with other species in that they are even more distantly related to us. We must legalize marriage with trees forthwith!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• Section Moderator
  • Hypatos
« Reply #49 on: November 28, 2014, 10:17:42 PM »
Given that we aren't supposed to marry close relatives, one might infer that the more distantly related, the more appropriate the partner becomes, so really we should be mating with other species in that they are even more distantly related to us. We must legalize marriage with trees forthwith!

Ouch!

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #50 on: November 28, 2014, 10:20:12 PM »

Ouch!

Only if you don't use lubrication...

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #51 on: November 28, 2014, 10:26:22 PM »

Ouch!

Without the benefit of first hand experience, perhaps I speak out of turn, but I would imagine even lubrication would be insufficient to enable someone to satisfy their consumatory urges.
God bless!

Offline Jonathan Gress

• Taxiarches
« Reply #52 on: November 28, 2014, 10:27:47 PM »

Ouch!

Without the benefit of first hand experience, perhaps I speak out of turn, but I would imagine even lubrication would be insufficient to enable someone to satisfy their consumatory urges.

Find an old one with lots of cracks in the bark, or use a hatchet. If you're a woman, well, I think you can figure something out.

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
« Reply #53 on: November 28, 2014, 10:29:11 PM »

Ouch!

Find an old one with lots of cracks in the bark, or use a hatchet. If you're a woman, well, I think you can figure something out.
And who said you Old Calendarists never innovate!  ;)
God bless!

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Toumarches
« Reply #54 on: November 28, 2014, 11:03:31 PM »

And Evil Dead will instantly lose a great part of its appeal.

Offline Chiere

• Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #55 on: November 29, 2014, 07:39:32 AM »

Hmm..that would be interesting. At least you would know that your spouse was always in te same place.
To God Be the Glory!

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #56 on: November 29, 2014, 06:56:42 PM »
we seem to have switched from the  zoo  to the   arboretum  ......
kyrie eleison

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
« Reply #57 on: November 30, 2014, 09:47:20 AM »
we seem to have switched from the  zoo  to the   arboretum  ......

More like the sixth grade boys room at the Middle School.

Offline methodius

• Elder
« Reply #58 on: November 30, 2014, 09:28:50 PM »
hmmm, an arboretum has a distinctively more agreeable smell.....
kyrie eleison

Offline Chiere

• Penalty Box
  • High Elder
« Reply #59 on: December 01, 2014, 01:43:04 PM »
hmmm, an arboretum has a distinctively more agreeable smell.....

Yes, definitely. Much more attractive than a zoo's odor.
To God Be the Glory!

Offline minasoliman

• Mr., Sir, Dude, Guy, Male, tr. Minas in Greek, Menes in white people Egyptologists :-P
  • Stratopedarches
  • Pray for me St. Severus
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #60 on: December 14, 2014, 02:51:17 PM »
Dear all,

I apologize for reopening so soon something that has caused controversy.  But I need to step in on something that I was toiling through in this thread, particularly the original post.  I have wondered whether the original and subsequent posts by Clemente violated any Fair Use laws of the US.  The difficulty comes from the fact that while substitution of one or two words causes a change in the original content of Fr. Arida's text, the words still used were verbatim for more than two paragraphs, and I was wondering if too much was used.

A few things were clear:

1.  This is a parody
2.  This seems "transformative"
3.  This seems like a subtle critique of the original author, Fr. Arida
4.  There is no financial or copyright benefit from the parody made

I am no lawyer or judge, but I have tried to research the issue and asked a few people who are much more experts in this than I am, and it seems the original post is okay as it is, outweighing any idea that federal rules were broken.  However, rather than goof around with the idea that you are only talking about zoophilia and that people are going off topic, I need clarity and disclaimers.  I'm going to assume Clemente does a subtle work on in fact keeping within the confines of Fair Use, that he is intelligent enough to know that in the future, instead of giving people like me a hard time to decide whether the OP crosses the line under US law, that this is indeed a parody, and not to parade others as saying they're "off-base" or "veering off" from the subject.

So I ask in the future, anyone who wants to engage in this type of parody to please try to keep it shorter, make it somewhat clearer maybe later in the thread that this is meant as a critique and a transformative parody, and that this has nothing to do with your own personal ownership of the words you wrote, or that you do not want to take credit for these words, but only take credit for the message you intend to give.

God bless.

Mina

Vain existence can never exist, for "unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain." (Psalm 127)

If the faith is unchanged and rock solid, then the gates of Hades never prevailed in the end.

Offline qawe

• High Elder
  • Faith: Oriental Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Coptic
« Reply #61 on: December 15, 2014, 06:30:16 AM »
Is the popularisation of zoophilia a threat to the Orthodox Church’s stance on matrimony being the sanctified union of one man and one woman? This question is again being asked by many Orthodox Christians in light of this week's New York Magazine article “What It’s Like to Date a Horse.”

The popularisation of zoophilia in some of our states offers the faithful the opportunity to reflect on the long and complex history of monogamous heterosexual human-human marriage within the Orthodox Church, a history that has seen the Church changing her stances with respect to issues such as slavery and divorce.

If the Church is going to repond to the popularisation of zoophilia it seems that it should begin by considering how to minister to those man/animal couples who come and knock/paw on the doors of our parishes seeking Christ. Do we ignore them? Do we, prima facie, turn them away? Do we, under the rubric of repentance, encourage them to dismount their relationships? Or, do we offer them, as we offer anyone desiring Christ, pastoral care, love and a spiritual home/stable?

Indeed, the Church has never cantered down this untrodden path. But our history teaches us that what is new need not compromise Christ who is the “same yesterday, today and forever.” If the never changing Gospel who is Jesus Christ is to have a credible presence and role in our culture, both in cities and in the countryside, then the Church can no longer ignore or condemn questions and issues such as zoophilia that are presumed to contradict or challenge its living Tradition.

Orthodox Christians who misuse the never changing Christ to verbally and physically assault those humans or animals who practice zoophilia, whom they perceive as immoral, impose on the Church, in the words of Father Georges Florovsky, a “new and alien spirit.” The Church will have to expose and ultimately expel the “new and alien spirits” that have weakened its authentic voice to provide pastoral care to man/animal couples.

^POM nominee!
Controversy re Fr Robert Arida aside, this made me literally LOL!
Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, the sinner.