do you believe morality is relative?

yes
3 (13%)
no
17 (73.9%)
not sure
3 (13%)

Total Members Voted: 23

Author Topic: Morality  (Read 2602 times)

Offline Oppositeman

Morality
« on: November 20, 2014, 09:09:36 PM »
Over the past few decades, many Christians have been slowly changing their beliefs on morality. Some have rejected any change, believing that God’s morality is unchangeable and timeless. The recent Catholic synod is an example of the schism that has taken place throughout Christianity. Slightly more than half the bishops and cardinals voted to “modernize” Catholic teaching on the morality of same sex partners who have an intimate relationship. Slightly less than half of them voted against the proposal. 

We all believe that there is no new revelation after God’s word contained in the Holy Bible. Therefore God’s morality can never and will never change. So why are many Christians embracing this new “modern” morality that in essence is telling God that either we don’t care about His morality or we want Him to change His morality to suit our desires?

We all very much don’t want to think that the enemy of God and man is influencing our beliefs; but, I believe, this is what is happening. Regardless of all the rationalizations, based on twisted and deformed thinking, that is and will be presented to justify the acceptance of sin, the fundamental truth of God’s morality will remain as it always has been; even be it in the hearts of a remnant church.

We all need to evaluate our moral beliefs; judging them to be in union with God or not. If you chose to believe in a morality that isn’t what God gave to us in the Holy Bible, then you must realize that you are willfully separating yourself from God; and therefore will reap what you have sown. We must be very careful in rewriting our moral teachings so they are not misinterpreted. We all need to convict ourselves of our sin, confess, and ask Jesus for His Merciful forgiveness. For those who refuse to do this, they are denying Christ’s gift to us on the Cross. Known truth cannot be added to or changed in any way. God’s Truth is perfect.

Offline Nathanael

• Elder
Re: Morality
« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2014, 09:20:47 AM »
Indeed!
Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever! And that's the same with his virtues. To say there's now another morality, it's as if you say there's another Jesus.
Wisdom from Elder Seraphim - All our troubles come from...:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b6eL2pwtVKs

The Goal of an Orthodox Monk: 'Incarnation of Love':
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZZishdSrYWM

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #2 on: November 26, 2014, 09:26:52 AM »
hmm

Offline WPM

• Protokentarchos
« Reply #3 on: November 26, 2014, 10:19:48 AM »
Morality is the basic sense by which we know right from wrong.
The Sign and Prayers to the Blessed Virgin Mary

Offline Opus118

• Site Supporter
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #4 on: November 26, 2014, 12:47:30 PM »
Over the past few decades, many Christians have been slowly changing their beliefs on morality. Some have rejected any change, believing that God’s morality is unchangeable and timeless. The recent Catholic synod is an example of the schism that has taken place throughout Christianity. Slightly more than half the bishops and cardinals voted to “modernize” Catholic teaching on the morality of same sex partners who have an intimate relationship. Slightly less than half of them voted against the proposal. 

We all believe that there is no new revelation after God’s word contained in the Holy Bible. Therefore God’s morality can never and will never change. So why are many Christians embracing this new “modern” morality that in essence is telling God that either we don’t care about His morality or we want Him to change His morality to suit our desires?

We all very much don’t want to think that the enemy of God and man is influencing our beliefs; but, I believe, this is what is happening. Regardless of all the rationalizations, based on twisted and deformed thinking, that is and will be presented to justify the acceptance of sin, the fundamental truth of God’s morality will remain as it always has been; even be it in the hearts of a remnant church.

We all need to evaluate our moral beliefs; judging them to be in union with God or not. If you chose to believe in a morality that isn’t what God gave to us in the Holy Bible, then you must realize that you are willfully separating yourself from God; and therefore will reap what you have sown. We must be very careful in rewriting our moral teachings so they are not misinterpreted. We all need to convict ourselves of our sin, confess, and ask Jesus for His Merciful forgiveness. For those who refuse to do this, they are denying Christ’s gift to us on the Cross. Known truth cannot be added to or changed in any way. God’s Truth is perfect.

I did not understand this so I voted based on the question. The answer is yes. It was immoral for a Church to burn someone at the stake for being a heretic and a cross-dresser. Thankfully this no longer happens.
If you cannot remember everything, instead of everything, I beg you, remember this without fail, that not to share our own wealth with the poor is theft from the poor and deprivation of their means of life; we do not possess our own wealth but theirs.  If we have this attitude, we will certainly offer our money; and by nourishing Christ in poverty here and laying up great profit hereafter, we will be able to attain the good things which are to come. - St. John Chrysostom

Offline Punch

• Taxiarches
« Reply #5 on: November 26, 2014, 12:53:26 PM »
True morality is not changeable.  Man's interpretation of morality changes.
I would be happy to agree with you, but then both of us would be wrong.

Offline Oppositeman

« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2014, 02:12:16 PM »

I did not understand this so I voted based on the question. The answer is yes. It was immoral for a Church to burn someone at the stake for being a heretic and a cross-dresser. Thankfully this no longer happens.

is there something I can explain to help you understand?

Offline Oppositeman

« Reply #7 on: November 26, 2014, 03:08:06 PM »
Read 2 Thessalonians 2:9-12

Synopsis: Description of the coming of the Antichrist and the prelude to the Second Coming of Christ.

The coming of the lawless one by the activity of Satan will be with all power and with pretended signs and wonders, and with all wicked deception for those who are to perish, because they refused to love the Truth and so be saved. Therefore God sends upon them a strong delusion, to make them believe what is false, so that all may be condemned who did not believe the Truth but had pleasure in unrighteousness.

-Scripture taken from the Ignatius Bible.

Offline Skydive

• BANNED for rules violations
  • High Elder
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2014, 08:31:59 PM »
No.

Offline IoanC

• Archon
« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 11:00:40 PM »
Why people change morality? Christ says that all immoral things come from the heart. In other words, when people become cold and unloving, they will also change morality.
« Last Edit: November 28, 2014, 11:01:03 PM by IoanC »

Offline NicholasMyra

• Antivoluntarist evangelist
  • Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2014, 02:08:07 AM »

Relative to what?
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2014, 02:25:04 AM »
We all believe that there is no new revelation after God’s word contained in the Holy Bible.

I find it ironic that a Roman Catholic of all people would say that. Fatima anybody?
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
  • Faith: DSM 5
  • Jurisdiction: Apostle to the Church of ASD
« Reply #12 on: November 29, 2014, 04:17:16 AM »
Indeed!
Jesus is the same yesterday today and forever! And that's the same with his virtues. To say there's now another morality, it's as if you say there's another Jesus.

So denying the incarnation is orthodox?

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #13 on: November 29, 2014, 04:20:28 AM »
Of course it's relative. Everything based on a Trinitarian theology is.

Offline Oppositeman

« Reply #14 on: November 29, 2014, 04:24:32 AM »

Relative to what?
relative to the changing whims of mankind. An example would be how immorality is accepted these days. This same display of immorality on TV or the movies would never have been allowed 50 years ago. As people get used to the level of immorality, then what is acceptable is pushed a little further.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2014, 04:28:59 AM »

Relative to what?
relative to the changing whims of mankind. An example would be how immorality is accepted these days. This same display of immorality on TV or the movies would never have been allowed 50 years ago. As people get used to the level of immorality, then what is acceptable is pushed a little further.

So the great apostasy happened in 1964? I think much of what we see on TV is a pallid return to the paganism with which early Christians would have been quite familiar.

Offline Oppositeman

« Reply #16 on: November 29, 2014, 04:32:50 AM »
Of course it's relative. Everything based on a Trinitarian theology is.
If God is perfect in every way and He cannot improve upon Himself and is true perfection then you can measure any attribute He possesses against your living up to perfection - but that is not the relativity I am talking about - I am speaking of what is acceptable by man today relative to what was acceptable at some time in the past.

Offline Oppositeman

« Reply #17 on: November 29, 2014, 04:50:58 AM »
Please excuse me, it is 3 am in Chicago. I am talking about morality being relative to what God has written in the Bible and also how society changes it's standards of morality that it finds acceptable as time goes on.

Offline orthonorm

• Hoplitarches
  • Ad Aluminum!
« Reply #18 on: November 29, 2014, 05:29:31 AM »
Please excuse me, it is 3 am in Chicago. I am talking about morality being relative to what God has written in the Bible and also how society changes it's standards of morality that it finds acceptable as time goes on.

There is no such thing a Biblical morality as it isn't monolithic and odox don't believe God wrote the Bible.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
  • too often left in the payment of false ponchos
  • Faith: Evangelical by default
  • Jurisdiction: Spiritually homeless
« Reply #19 on: November 29, 2014, 06:37:07 AM »

There is no such thing a Biblical morality as it isn't monolithic and odox don't believe God wrote the Bible.
Who really does believe that, though? Unless one goes by the Church of Christ view that God just dictated it to them (which is a view of dictation that the ancients would not have understood anyway), the Bible remains at least partially the words of men.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Clemente

• Elder
  • Faith: Orthodox
« Reply #20 on: November 29, 2014, 09:08:29 AM »
All moral truth, like all truth in general, is relative.

Except for the statement about all truth being relative--that is actually true. Everything else, however, is relative.

And the statement just above--also true.

And that one.

And that.

And then it is just turtles all the way down...

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #21 on: November 29, 2014, 09:24:40 AM »

wow. I guess that ends all discussion.
BTW, I did not get the memo, who died and left you pope?
I mean fuhrer ?
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #22 on: November 29, 2014, 09:36:50 AM »

Looks like you nailed the issue: eternal truths of morality and/or men's notions of same.

Are not "morals" shared values?
Since we (believers) are living in a more secular world (one which denies the God-thingy or The Absolute) then we are at odds. Earlier posted was the fact that at one time Christians were surrounded by pagans, as were OT Jews, so ain't nothing new, just a growing number and speed of which the Bad News travels.
And, for me, there is the rub: believers want all to come to the knowledge of Christ, but such is done only with one person at a time!
Besides as I understand, we loose this world for the time being plus a thousand years.
Oh well.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #23 on: November 29, 2014, 09:45:46 AM »
Quote from: Oppositeman link=topic=62305.msg1220121#msg1220121 date=14165321
We all believe that there is no new revelation after God’s word contained in the Holy Bible.
[/quote

I find it ironic that a Roman Catholic of all people would say that. Fatima anybody?

I lost track of Fatima about 50 years ago. What was in the three letters? Did they open them yet? I know Communism fell, at least in Russia, and that was supposedly one of the letters; but the other two, or even three?
I am slothful and do not want to look it up, so can you give me the bumper sticker version or at least a reference site that will be low on the signal:noise ratio?
Forgive me, please, as I am a rude, crude and to often profane believer and commentator on what should be, and is, respected. At my age there's not enough time or energy left.
So what was revealed at Fatima?

Offline Oppositeman

« Reply #24 on: November 29, 2014, 10:09:06 AM »
[/quote

I lost track of Fatima about 50 years ago. What was in the three letters? Did they open them yet? I know Communism fell, at least in Russia, and that was supposedly one of the letters; but the other two, or even three?
I am slothful and do not want to look it up, so can you give me the bumper sticker version or at least a reference site that will be low on the signal:noise ratio?
Forgive me, please, as I am a rude, crude and to often profane believer and commentator on what should be, and is, respected. At my age there's not enough time or energy left.
He must be thinking of the meaning of the word "revelation" in a worldly sort of way - certainly not in the way I intended it. There is no new revelation at Fatima or any other site or place where messages from Heaven are authentic - there are several places in the bible that tell us about how the world will become in future generations. What messages from Heaven give us are specifics that apply to our time in history.

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #25 on: November 29, 2014, 10:44:35 AM »
[/quote

He must be thinking of the meaning of the word "revelation" in a worldly sort of way - certainly not in the way I intended it. There is no new revelation at Fatima or any other site or place where messages from Heaven are authentic - there are several places in the bible that tell us about how the world will become in future generations. What messages from Heaven give us are specifics that apply to our time in history.

OK, but I recall first hearing about this in the 50's and there were letters given to the children with the admonition they not be open until....something, something....there's no quibble about the "revelation" definition. As I recall one letter supposedly said communism would fail, Russia would be restored to the true faith, etc. Then I heard Pope Pius XII opened, read and closed one letter, telling no one the contents!
I know not your age, but back in the 50's that information or news (about communism) was received with the same surprise as if one were now to say Islam would fall soon. Don't seem to me, here on the ground, that's gonna happen.
I just want to know about the letters, plain and simple.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #26 on: November 29, 2014, 11:06:37 AM »
[/quote

I thought the apparition predicted the end of World War I and got it wrong by several days. False prophecy.
Christ my God, set my heart on fire with love in You, that in its flame I may love You with all my heart, with all my mind, and with all my soul and with all my strength, and my neighbor as myself, so that by keeping Your commandments I may glorify You the Giver of every good and perfect gift. Amen.

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #27 on: November 29, 2014, 11:13:48 AM »
[/quote

OK, but I recall first hearing about this in the 50's and there were letters given to the children with the admonition they not be open until....something, something....there's no quibble about the "revelation" definition. As I recall one letter supposedly said communism would fail, Russia would be restored to the true faith, etc. Then I heard Pope Pius XII opened, read and closed one letter, telling no one the contents!
I know not your age, but back in the 50's that information or news (about communism) was received with the same surprise as if one were now to say Islam would fall soon. Don't seem to me, here on the ground, that's gonna happen.
I just want to know about the letters, plain and simple.
First part is a vision of Hell. Second part is Russia becoming Catholic. Third is a vision of the end days with the Pope getting shot:
After the two parts which I have already explained, at the left of Our Lady and a little above, we saw an Angel with a flaming sword in his left hand; flashing, it gave out flames that looked as though they would set the world on fire; but they died out in contact with the splendour that Our Lady radiated towards him from her right hand: pointing to the earth with his right hand, the Angel cried out in a loud voice: ‘Penance, Penance, Penance!'. And we saw in an immense light that is God: ‘something similar to how people appear in a mirror when they pass in front of it' a Bishop dressed in White ‘we had the impression that it was the Holy Father'. Other Bishops, Priests, men and women Religious going up a steep mountain, at the top of which there was a big Cross of rough-hewn trunks as of a cork-tree with the bark; before reaching there the Holy Father passed through a big city half in ruins and half trembling with halting step, afflicted with pain and sorrow, he prayed for the souls of the corpses he met on his way; having reached the top of the mountain, on his knees at the foot of the big Cross he was killed by a group of soldiers who fired bullets and arrows at him, and in the same way there died one after another the other Bishops, Priests, men and women Religious, and various lay people of different ranks and positions. Beneath the two arms of the Cross there were two Angels each with a crystal aspersorium in his hand, in which they gathered up the blood of the Martyrs and with it sprinkled the souls that were making their way to God.
http://www.ewtn.com/fatima/apparitions/third_secret/fatima.htm#1&2

There are those who claim that the third letter is a fake (a forgery or Sister Lucia was coerced into writing it) and so no one knows the real third secret.

Offline Oppositeman

« Reply #28 on: November 29, 2014, 11:19:04 AM »
[/quote

I thought the apparition predicted the end of World War I and got it wrong by several days. False prophecy.
perhaps you were not trying to be funny but you succeeded anyway - I have never read a Catholic prophecy that pinpointed the date of something to happen - this is a good article about Fatima in a blog I put together about the Virgin Mary - http://who-is-mary.blogspot.com/p/miracle-of-sun-at-fatima-portugal.html

Offline Volnutt

• Dull Sublunary Lover
  • Toumarches
« Reply #29 on: November 29, 2014, 11:26:43 AM »
I guess I was misinformed, then.

Offline Oppositeman

« Reply #30 on: November 29, 2014, 11:39:58 AM »
I guess I was misinformed, then.
it's a good example of our human nature to believe what we are told by someone we think or seems to be credible. There is another aspect to this, I believe, and that is we believe things that support our preconceived ideas; and we also twist things to fit our preconceived ideas. People don't want to take the time to find out what the truth is about this or that - it can be time consuming and confusing. It's so much easier to decide quickly. People, perhaps not to the extent they did in the past, believe others that have a title attached to their name or are in a position of authority. This is a very dangerous thing to do. Human history teaches us we should be very weary about those who have much to gain or loose. Power most of the time, I believe, works at corrupting whatever integrity of care one has for his fellow sisters and brothers. Let's face it - people are hungry for power, prestige, influence, money to feed the human sicknesses of pride and ego.

Offline Anna.T

• † Servant of God †
  • OC.net guru
  • Κύριε, ἐλέησον!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH
« Reply #31 on: December 01, 2014, 10:06:55 AM »
If the question is really whether or not God's definition of sin has changed, I would say of course not.

If the question involves the morality held and displayed by society, then that has ebbed and flowed over time and across cultures. Over time, that changes. In the US during my lifetime, we are certainly more morally degraded than we were. And as to acceptance of homosexuality, that has been pressed by various means in the US, and in other cultures as well. Acceptance of homosexuality is not a new thing, historically though.

As to my own opinion, the obvious intent of certain TV game shows that I used to enjoy as a child that now aim to put a person's mind in the gutter saddens me. Sitcoms have been morally dicey for decades (I came along at the time of the "sexual revolution" and drug use was prevalent in certain social circles - this since the 1960's and 1970's). But overall yes, I see moral degradation over the past decades.

But God's determination of what is sin and what is not has not changed, nor will it.
Aγιος ὁ Θεός, Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός, Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος, ἐλέησον ἡμᾶς

Let us commit ourselves and one another and our whole life to Christ our God

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.