OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 23, 2014, 02:39:01 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Russian Orthodox cross-talisman  (Read 2807 times) Average Rating: 0
rusty

« on: May 23, 2005, 04:44:16 AM »

On an internet auction site, I see a Russian orthodox cross-talisman for sale.

Unique beautiful item!
Christian Russian Orthodox talisman. Russian name is [OBEREG]- an object held to act as a charm to avert evil and bring good fortune, producing apparently magical and miraculous effect of protection.
Double sided old style Orthodox cross with words in Cyrillic Old Slavic on the back: "Save and Protect" [Spasee ee Sokhranee]. Russian soldiers, policemen, firefighters, rescuers and many others use this charm for PROTECTION.
Well-made highly detailed warm brass 3D cast item. Comes with long strong black fabric necklace nicely packed into small plastic bag. BETTER THAN PICTURES- Great Religious Collectible and Symbolic Gift!

http://images.auctionworks.com/fullView.asp?img=http://images.marketworks.com/hi/49/49296/savecrestthree010404.jpg

I was wondering about the canonicity of such a talisman. I wouldn't want to wear anything that an Orthodox priest wouldn't approve of.  I'm not interested in this as a talisman; I just find this an intriguing cross to wear.

Thanks in advance!

« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 05:38:38 AM by rusty » Logged
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 04:58:01 AM »

Rusty,

As it is a cross, I doubt any Orthodox priest would mind. Don't get too tied up in all the 'magical protection' nonsense, though. Any protection that comes from wearing it would come from faith in Christ, not from the 'talisman' itself. A lot of the 'Old Countries' have Orthodox laiety who think that local superstitions are every bit as valid as the faith. Take my own experience with my Romanian mother-in-law, for instance, when my son was born not only did she say he should stay in the house until he was baptised (for protection) but that he should wear something red to ward off 'deochi' (sort of a curse or the evil eye) that envious strangers might put on him. Both seem like superstitions to me, and the latter sounds frankly pagan. I laughed and ignored it. My wife did the same intellectually but was a little uneasy about it - these superstitions run deep.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
ExOrienteLux
Waning: Spoilers

Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2005, 02:05:01 PM »

I don't really see why there'd be anything wrong with it.  Like James said, a cross is a cross is a cross.  If you're unsure, have your priest bless it for you.  Also, IIRC, "Spasi i Sohrani" is on quite a few Russian crosses.

Just to reiterate: any protection that comes from wearing such a 'talisman' would come from the wearer's faith in Christ, not from the talisman itself.  Just use a few grains of salt when dealing with those who hold to superstitions like that.

XB!
-Philip

Arise, O God! Judge the earth, for to Thee belong all the nations!
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2005, 02:07:51 PM »

I love the Russian Orthodox three-bar cross.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Sir Sundae

« Reply #4 on: May 28, 2005, 12:03:32 AM »

Speaking of Crosses...anyone know of some good sites where you can find decent crosses for decent prices? I'm looking to buy one, but nothing too extravagant. Just something simple...

--Chuck

Elder Paisios of the Holy Mountain:

"Let us not expect the spiritual spring if we don't first pass through the spiritual winter during which the spiritual vermin die.  We mustn't expect the divine to blossom within us if the human hasn't first died."
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2005, 12:09:08 AM »

http://www.gallerybyzantium.com/

hmmmm...
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: