OrthodoxChristianity.net
October 01, 2014, 02:33:03 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Europe Unites in Hatred of French  (Read 4154 times) Average Rating: 0
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« on: May 23, 2005, 03:36:16 AM »

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml;sessionid=ZWSVQGZHDKDTHQFIQMGCM5WAVCBQUJVC?xml=/news/2005/05/17/wfran17.xml&sSheet=/news/2005/05/17/ixnewstop.html&secureRefresh=true&_requestid=4535

telegraph.co.uk
-¬ Copyright of Telegraph Group Limited 2005.
By Henry Samuel in Paris
(Filed: 17/05/2005)

Part of Excerpt:

Language, history, cooking and support for rival football teams still divide Europe. But when everything else fails, one glue binds the continent together: hatred of the French.

Typically, the French refuse to accept what arrogant, overbearing monsters they are.

But now after the publication of a survey of their neighbours' opinions of them at least they no longer have any excuse for not knowing how unpopular they are.

Why the French are the worst company on the planet, a wry take on France by two of its citizens, dredges up all the usual evidence against them. They are crazy drivers, strangers to customer service, obsessed by sex and food and devoid of a sense of humour.

But it doesn't stop there, boasting a breakdown, nation by nation, of what in the French irritates them.

Perhaps unsurprisingly, Britons described them as "chauvinists, stubborn, nannied and humourless". However, the French may be more shocked by the views of other nations.

For the Germans, the French are "pretentious, offhand and frivolous". The Dutch describe them as "agitated, talkative and shallow." The Spanish see them as "cold, distant, vain and impolite" and the Portuguese as "preaching". In Italy they comes across as "snobs, arrogant, flesh-loving, righteous and self-obsessed" and the Greeks find them "not very with it, egocentric bons vivants".

Interestingly, the Swedes consider them "disobedient, immoral, disorganised, neo-colonialist and dirty".

But the knockout punch to French pride came in the way the poll was conducted. People were not asked what they hated in the French, just what they thought of them.

"Interviewees were simply asked an open question - what five adjectives sum up the French," said Olivier Clodong, one of the study's two authors and a professor of social and political communication at the Ecole Superieur de Commerce, in Paris. "The answers were overwhelmingly negative."

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #1 on: May 23, 2005, 03:46:20 AM »

Hehe....this is quite refreshing.. Afro

...one glue binds the continent together: hatred of the French...

Actually, that's something that just about binds the whole Globe togethor lol!

Interestingly, the Swedes consider them "disobedient, immoral, disorganised, neo-colonialist and dirty".

Wow!! I don't even have a good comparision of what it would be like to be called "Immoral" coming from the Swedes lol.....this is just too funny! Any nation that also refuses to bathe on a semi-regular basis and bashes McDonalds yet gives them more business per franchise there than almost anywhere else in the world, and charges three different prices for a cup of coffee based SOLELY on WHERE in the cafe you sit, deserves to be thrown upon the ash heap of history haha!

I don't want to be to mean to our French friends though......In all fairness the french would say something like, "Zee poll, szhe is biaszed! Only ze Frahnch are intelligent enough to appreciate ze Frahnch!  Grin

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: May 23, 2005, 03:58:44 AM »

Has anyone seen European Vacation? The Frenchmen in the film are classic!

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #3 on: May 23, 2005, 04:20:42 AM »

"Freedom fries" anyone?  Wink

Perhaps some "freedom toast"?  laugh  Grin

Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #4 on: May 23, 2005, 06:41:15 AM »

Oh, brother...FREEDOM toast... Roll Eyes

From SNL:

In protest to France’s opposition to a U.S. war on Iraq, the U.S. congress’ cafeteria has changed French Fries and French Toast to Freedom Fries and Freedom Toast. Afterwards, the congressmen were so pleased with themselves, they all started Freedom Kissing each other.

Tina Fey: In a related story, in France, American Cheese is now referred to as Idiot Cheese.

Jimmy Fallon: Trust me! They're laughing at us! French fries aren't even French! They're Belgian. Some American guy named thm wrong, to begin with. Also, Americans - they're pouring bottles of French wine down the toilet. Stop it! You already paid for the wine, you dopes! Pee in the wine, and sel it to some French people! Then, you're doing something!

Tina Fey: Yeah! And, you know, don't think that by eating Freedom Fries, you're being patriotic and helping the war effort. Use less gasoline! Read a newspaper! You know? How about you cool it with the Freedom Fries, anyway, you fat a---s! We're the fattest country in the world! Have you ever walked around an American mall? It's nothing but Chick-Fil-A's and Lane Bryant track suits busting at the seams!

Together: Do something!!

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
Kolya
Still learning!

Snow in Red Square.

« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2005, 06:57:12 AM »

I don't discriminate -I hate everyone! Grin

But seriously, is it nice to bash anyone? We're supposed to be a Christian forum.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 06:59:55 AM by Kolya » Logged

Treat others as you would like to be treated!
Ntinos
Σαλός
Elder

« Reply #6 on: May 23, 2005, 08:54:59 AM »

and the Greeks find them "not very with it, egocentric bons vivants".

I generally have nothing against the French, but somehow, the only french woman I know (my previous english teacher) sure did smell ugly! Smiley

prodromos
OC.net guru

Faith: Orthodox

Sydney, Australia

« Reply #7 on: May 23, 2005, 09:08:11 AM »

A couple of French women on holiday in Greece tried to order coffee in English at a local cafe, and while the manager knew English and understood their requests, he deliberately responded in Greek, which the two women were unable to comprehend thus making them very frustrated indeed. Eventually he spoke to them in English, only to point out that if he was holidaying in Fance, the French would expect him to communicate with them in French, and he wanted to know why they held to a different standard when travelling themselves.

John.
Kolya
Still learning!

Snow in Red Square.

« Reply #8 on: May 23, 2005, 09:31:13 AM »

A couple of French women on holiday in Greece tried to order coffee in English at a local cafe, and while the manager knew English and understood their requests, he deliberately responded in Greek, which the two women were unable to comprehend thus making them very frustrated indeed. Eventually he spoke to them in English, only to point out that if he was holidaying in Fance, the French would expect him to communicate with them in French, and he wanted to know why they held to a different standard when travelling themselves.

John.

Can't argue with THAT one.  Cheesy
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 09:32:59 AM by Kolya » Logged

Treat others as you would like to be treated!
ania
Life according to Abe Simpson:
OC.net guru

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 10:45:27 AM »

Well, while a Frenchman I'm friends with has been known to say, "I am the only French person I like," I have to say when I was in France, people were of all variety, just like in any other country. 
Granted they have a bad rap since they've been known throughout history as being obnoxious, but then again, what language did the Russian court and a lot of other European courts speak better than their own native tongue?  Who's fashions were considered the best?  How many French or French rooted words do we use in our daily life?  What restaurants do people go to on fancy occasions?   FRENCH!!! 

This should be notedGǪ  Much of the reason the French see themselves on a pedestal is because their good neighbors put them there.

Now where were we? Oh yeah - the important thing was I had an onion on my belt, which was the style at the time. They didn’t have white onions because of the war. The only thing you could get was those big yellow ones...
Fr. David
The Poster Formerly Known as "Pedro"
Archon

Jurisdiction: OCA, Diocese of the South

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 10:47:18 AM »

Eventually he spoke to them in English, only to point out that if he was holidaying in Fance, the French would expect him to communicate with them in French, and he wanted to know why they held to a different standard when travelling themselves.

What'd they have to say?
This should be notedGǪ Much of the reason the French see themselves on a pedestal is because their good neighbors put them there.

A very good point.

Priest in the Orthodox Church in America - ordained on March 18, 2012

Oh Taste and See (my defunct blog)

From Protestant to Orthodox (my conversion story)
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #11 on: May 23, 2005, 10:54:37 AM »

Really, the hatred of France thing seems to only be a western European thing (nowadays Europe seems to always mean EU). In the east it certainly doesn't seem to be so apparent. Actually, the universally hated country in eastern Europe (particularly in any country that borders them) seems to be Hungary, but given their history that's hardly surprising.

The only time I've come across anti-French sentiment in eastern Europe was when I was in Romania during the 2000 European Football championship. One of the French commentators had referred to the Romanian side as gypsies, which didn't go down at all well. You'd have thought it was a major feast day when the Czech Republic knocked France out!

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
TomS
Banned
Archon

Jurisdiction: GOA

"Look At Me! Look At Me Now! " - Bono

« Reply #12 on: May 23, 2005, 11:52:01 AM »

With a french accent: "I fart in your general direction!"
SeanMc

« Reply #13 on: May 23, 2005, 01:03:21 PM »

Vive le France!

I'm not French by the way, just Canadian.
MBZ

« Reply #14 on: May 23, 2005, 02:09:33 PM »

Hi all!

Pearls from the mouth of Charles DeGaulle:

"How can anyone govern a nation that has 246 different kinds of cheese?"

"I have tried to lift France out of the mud. But she will return to her errors and vomitings. I cannot prevent the French from being French." 

"When I want to know what France thinks, I ask myself."

At the Versailles Conference, when French Premier Georges Clemenceau was working himself into quite a state about how the Allies had to stick it to the Germans, British PM Lloyd George suggested that he calm down a bit. Clemenceau was so emotionally worked up that he accused Lloyd George & England of being enemies of France. Woodrow Wilson & Italian PM Orlando were aghast. Unflappable Welshman that he was, Lloyd George calmly replied, "But that's been traditional British policy for the past 800 years. What are you so upset about?" Clemenceau burst out laughing & the four men went back to work.

Be well!

MBZ

"Peace, peace to him that is far off and to him that is near." [Isaiah 57:19]

"Gather your wits and hold on fast..." [The Who]

"Lose your dreams and you could lose your mind." [The Rolling Stones]

http://tinyurl.com/bvskq

[url=htt
Tikhon29605
High Elder

May I become Thy Tabernacle through Communion.

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2005, 04:48:30 PM »

At Vatican city, no one is allowed to enter Saint Peter's Bascilica wearing shorts or revealing clothing. It is considered disrespectful and inappropriate. To put it bluntly, if you try to go in in shorts, it won't be permitted. They will turn you away. Even if it is 90 degrees. I once read an article where a reporter asked a doorkeeper at St. Peter's how tourists respond to that rule. And he said and I quote:
   "The Japanese tourists are, without exception, the most polite. When I tell them shorts are not permitted in the bascilica, they apologize and say "So sorry" and meekly walk away, usually to return later in proper clothing.
   Then the reporter asked him, "Well, who are the most irritating tourists to deal with? Who gives you the most trouble regarding the dress standards?"
And immediately the doorkeeper replied, "Well, the French, of course. Who else would it be? They look at me with disdain when I tell them shorts are not permitted and grumble and murmur a lot. Very arrogant people."
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #16 on: May 23, 2005, 07:28:11 PM »

*snicker*

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Augustine
High Elder

pray for me, please

« Reply #17 on: May 24, 2005, 12:28:02 PM »

Nacho,

Actually, that's something that just about binds the whole Globe togethor lol!

Mmm...I hate to burst your bubble, but it tends to be another red, white, and blue flag which gets that reaction... Sad

Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #18 on: May 24, 2005, 12:49:49 PM »

Mmm...I hate to burst your bubble, but it tends to be another red, white, and blue flag which gets that reaction..

Yea, that goes with the territory though. The world will hate whoever happens to be on top at the moment and that's something that has always happened to other super powers in history. People may say that hate us, but that still doesn't stop them moving here in droves because they know they will do much better here. It's basically damned if we do, damned if we don't. If we decided at some point to become very protectionist and closed ourselves off to the rest of the world , I'm sure then everyone would be bitching about how America is hogging all it's wealth and helping nobody else. I actually wish we would do that because I'm tired of hearing the complainers. I'm sick of all my tax dollars being wasted on the rest of the world's problems.

cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 01:55:09 PM »

My father-in-law worked for a French company in Paris for several years.  Just before we got married my father-in-law caught one of the French employees embezzling money.  He took it to the proper person at their office.  My father-in-law was immediately given "early retirement" costing him a lot of money he would get in his pension if he stayed on for another year.  The reason?  It was explained to him that non-French employees were not to be concerned with the activities of French employees.  Last he heard, the embezzler was still employed. 

This isn't a small company either.

Of course my father-in-law used to love to give the French a lot of crap, so he was probably getting some payback.

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #20 on: May 24, 2005, 05:30:29 PM »

When my dad went to France when he was younger, he would excitedly try to use his French he learned in high school to people he'd meet, only to receive the answer, "I'm sorry, I don't speak English" (i.e. in English, not French).....this happened several times, to the point where he finally gave up communicating to French people in their own language.

A couple of years ago, he made a trip to Kenya.  At a buffet at a hotel there, he was standing in line, when this French woman came up to him and asked, in English, "Where is the salt?".  He returned the question with the answer, "Je ne parles pas Francais".

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #21 on: May 25, 2005, 03:23:16 AM »

"Your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries!"  laugh

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!"   Cool   Grin
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #22 on: May 25, 2005, 11:29:13 PM »

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!" Cool Grin

Hey, thats my line! Roll Eyes

Hadel
IN CHRIST
Elder

Faith: Greek Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Jerusalem

Jesus Christ Our Lord, King of Kings

« Reply #23 on: May 26, 2005, 02:56:19 AM »

Those who hate others, hate themselves....

In Christ,
Hadel

Lord Jesus Christ, Son of God, have mercy on me, a sinner.
cizinec
High Elder

There ain't no way but the hard way.

« Reply #24 on: May 26, 2005, 08:23:49 AM »

And those who hate themselves hate sausages.

STOP THE INSANITY!

"Brother, your best friend ain't your Momma, it's the Field Artillery."
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2005, 11:50:47 AM »

Those who hate others, hate themselves....

In Christ,
Hadel

No one said that we hated the wine-snotring filthy French. Grin Cheesy But when you see attitudes that are bigger than most professional wrestlers just obecause one happens to be French (and especially Parisians), and a united disdain and intollerance for anything not French, what can you conclude? They hate themselves so much that they must hate themselves a whole lot right? Not really. They are in love with themselves...or at least in lust. Wink Myself, I have this opinion. If they would not turn down their noses at us, and maybe put on some deoderant and take a bath, they might be decent folk. But I will continue to love, nonetheless, in a Christian manner, the wine-snorting Filthy French. Grin Wink Cheesy

And those who hate themselves hate sausages.

STOP THE INSANITY!

Speaking of sausage, I'm making a big pot of beans this afternoon. A-la-charra style. And I bough two kinds of links for the occasion. Now All I need is some cilantro, and some YooHoo to wash it down with once it's finished. Must learn to make my own sausage one day.......
« Last Edit: May 26, 2005, 11:52:42 AM by Ian Lazarus » Logged

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2005, 12:13:54 PM »

Speaking of sausage, I'm making a big pot of beans this afternoon.  A-la-charra style.  And I bough two kinds of links for the occasion.  Now All I need is some cilantro, and some YooHoo to wash it down with once it's finished.  Must learn to make my own sausage one day.......   

Actually, something very delicious from the Languedoc region of France with Sausage and Beans (I think mostly white beans) is called Cassoulet or some such thing.  Tasty.....
BrotherAidan
OC.net guru

OC.net

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2005, 03:43:37 PM »

I burst my pimples at you, I empty my nostrils at you
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #28 on: May 26, 2005, 05:22:54 PM »

Hey, I give props.  The French have the food thing down.  Provincial French food is the bomb.  Nuveau French cuisine is not to my liking though.  And the wine isnt bad either.  But I like the Italian and Spanish country food just as well. 

And you get less flack for not speaking the lingo.  Roll Eyes

Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #29 on: May 26, 2005, 05:25:09 PM »

"Your mother was a hampster and your father smelt of elderberries!" laugh

"Now go away or I shall taunt you a second time!" Cool Grin

I burst my pimples at you, I empty my nostrils at you

I wave my private parts at your Aunties!

idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #30 on: May 26, 2005, 05:26:04 PM »

Actually, when I was in Europe, I thought the French people were the more pleasant (excepting the Greek) out of the bunch....it was the Germans I didn't particularly care for.

Tikhon29605
High Elder

« Reply #31 on: May 26, 2005, 09:19:26 PM »

I liked the Germans when I was in Europe. I found them to be helpful, courteous, and a WHOLE LOT more patient than the French. And the Austrians, they were even nicer than the Germans. Kind of like Germans, but with more warmth and charm.
idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #32 on: May 26, 2005, 09:21:09 PM »

hmmmm....then perhaps you were in former East Germany.....less pretentious there I suppose.

Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #33 on: May 26, 2005, 09:57:16 PM »

hmmmm....then perhaps you were in former East Germany.....less pretentious there I suppose.

Never was there, but my sentiments are the same as Tikhon's.  BUT, I never had any BAD encounters with the French.    It helps to be outgoing and humble of heart.
Landon77
Elder

Jurisdiction: OCA (Antiochian Western Orthodox in exile)

« Reply #34 on: May 26, 2005, 11:00:45 PM »

My German instructor and a lady from German have both told me that Germans are difficult to know, yet they aren't facke like Americans.  When you do finally get close to one, they'll be your friend for life.  Where as Americans will forget about you in no time.

"How stands your mighty god? My God is stronger than he."  -St. Boniface
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #35 on: May 26, 2005, 11:45:27 PM »

I really enjoyed Germany and the Germans I encountered there.  It helped probably that my sister, with whom I was travelling while I was in Germany is fluent in German.  And the beer.... how wonderful.  I'm not sure which is worse American or Greek beer.... at least I can buy it legally in Greece and it is cheap - what else will get me through school the next five years?
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #36 on: May 27, 2005, 04:15:15 AM »

As someone with both German and (the shame!  Wink ) French blood in the family, I'd have to say there are problems with both - as there are with all people. The French, particularly Parisians, are generally arrogant, xenophobic and refuse to speak other languages on their own soil. If they could only save a tourist's life by speaking English, they probably wouldn't help. (I realise I'm making generalisations here, but if my cousins from St. Raphael and Lille can say such things about their countryman, they can't be far off the mark.)

Germans, on the other hand, can often be humourless and they're often way too far to the left for my tastes - probably a reaction to their history. I also can't handle the kids who feel personally guilt for the crimes of an Austrian older than their grandparents. They really need to move on some time. Germans will, however, in contrast to the French, be only too happy to speak English or other languages if they can. Bavarians are, however, an exception - they're really parochial, almost as xenophobic as the French and even look down on other Germans.

As for Cassoulet (whoever mentioned it), I'm not sure where it originally comes from, but you find different versions of it all over France. The Languedoc version is a bit pale and bland to my tastes and, of course, my grandmother's was easily the best in all France  Wink. I'd have to admit that I love the stuff - but rustic peasant food has always been my favourite.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Νεκτάριος
Protokentarchos

« Reply #37 on: May 27, 2005, 04:57:23 AM »

Still I like some of the German humorlessness - only in that I am use to the American superficial happiness.  Especially consider that I work retail and here the big thing is "customer service" which entails constantly being cheerful to an uttery fake extent.  I like the fact that not having a false smile isn't considered rude - it is just more real feeling to me.  And I love s-bahns and busses that run on time.... Greeks and their timing is enough to drive anyone one that values being puntual insane.  Still, all in all I really enjoyed my short stay in Germany, finding most everyone I met to be very kind and helpful.   

I never dealt with France while I was in Europe, but I can easily say the worst experiences I had were dealing with the English at Heathrow Airport (now there is a true foretaste of hell).  Granted it isn't the average person's fault that that has to be one of the most poorly designed airports - but good grief would it kill them to be a little helpful?  Since I am flying back to Greece in early September, one of my ticket options is a nine hour lay over in Heathrow or making three extra flight transfers.... at this point I don't know which is worse. 
jmbejdl
OC.net guru

« Reply #38 on: May 27, 2005, 05:14:00 AM »

Oh, I totally agree with you on Heathrow - I absolutely hate the place. It suffers from two major problems. Firstly, it's badly designed (actually it's just sort of grown over time) and secondly, it's in the south (sorry anyone here who's a southerner). I've lived all over Britain at various times in my life and I have to say that the further south and east you travel, and particularly as you approach London, the more likely you are to encounter unfriendly, unhelpful people. I have no idea why this is (overcrowding, perhaps?), but they just seem less open and a bit stand-offish, particularly when compared to, say, Northumbrians. Obviously, the fact that British immigration officials always seem to be complete @***holes doesn't help things when it comes to Heathrow, either.

James

idontlikenames

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #39 on: May 27, 2005, 12:47:06 PM »

Still I like some of the German humorlessness - only in that I am use to the American superficial happiness. Especially consider that I work retail and here the big thing is "customer service" which entails constantly being cheerful to an uttery fake extent. I like the fact that not having a false smile isn't considered rude - it is just more real feeling to me.

I am in complete agreement with you there...American fakeness absolutely nauseates me....that's why i absolutely HATE working in customer service jobs....especially when you have to deal with old (usually white) people, they are the worst at fakeness and expecting you to be fake......and when people you don't even know ask how you are!!....like, GUY!!!  I don't even know you!...like you really care how I'm doing!

I like it better in Russia, where if someone is asked how they are, they sit down and list all their problems and griefs.....I wish it was like this in America.

PrinceMarko

« Reply #40 on: May 27, 2005, 12:53:42 PM »

I dont even know where to start with France(correction: Parisians)...Its imperialistic views, elitist/racial attitudes, arrogance, horrible cheese, its hypocritical stance on the US when they occupy Ivory Coast for economic means... ah the french..giving a new meaning to the definition of snobby.
« Last Edit: May 27, 2005, 12:55:12 PM by PrinceMarko » Logged
Elisha
Protokentarchos

« Reply #41 on: May 27, 2005, 01:47:03 PM »

My German instructor and a lady from German have both told me that Germans are difficult to know, yet they aren't facke like Americans. When you do finally get close to one, they'll be your friend for life. Where as Americans will forget about you in no time.

This is VERY true.  This can't be emphasized enough.  I think this may apply to many different continental Europeans (maybe even many French).
Tikhon29605
High Elder

« Reply #42 on: May 27, 2005, 07:08:44 PM »

I love the fact that the Germans and the Russian both do not pretend to be happy if they are not. And I love the way they refuse to have fake smiles on their faces like we Americans do.  Perhaps this is because I was raised by a non-nonsense authoritarian German mother and a stiff upper lip Welsh father? But in my childhood home, which was far from being humorless, we did not smile all the time. We smiled when something PLEASED us. The rest of the time were we dutiful and kind of stoic, but very affectionate.
Αριστοκλής
Merarches

Faith: Orthodox Catholic
Jurisdiction: American Carpatho-Russian Orthodox Diocese

« Reply #43 on: May 29, 2005, 03:05:28 AM »

I dont even know where to start with France(correction: Parisians)...Its imperialistic views, elitist/racial attitudes, arrogance, horrible cheese, its hypocritical stance on the US when they occupy Ivory Coast for economic means... ah the french..giving a new meaning to the definition of snobby.

Old adage:
"The French don't follow anyone...and no one follows the French."

I imagine Europe, not to mention the entire world, would be quite a bit more boring without the French.  Cheesy

"Religion is a neurobiological illness and Orthodoxy is its cure." - Fr. John S. Romanides
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: