Author Topic: Why an Australian atheist philosopher moved to Egypt and became a Coptic monk  (Read 2230 times)

Offline Adela

• OC.net guru
Father Anthony El Lazarus is a Coptic monk living in seclusion in the Red Sea mountains, in a 4th-century monastery about 200 miles southeast of Cairo, Egypt. A former university lecturer in literature and philosophy, Father Lazarus spent 40 years as an atheist. It wasn't until his mother died of cancer that he left his native Australia and set out to come to peace with what happened. His journey led him to God — and to his life as a monk.

The following also has the link to an 18 minute video about this monk (who was guided by Pope Shenouda)

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/9/7177553/why-australian-atheist-philosopher-moved-to-egypt-became-coptic-monk

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
Father Anthony seems to generate a lot of interest. Why's that? Is he an Elder or does the Far Western media find it exotic that a White man is growing a beard and wearing a habit?
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Offline TheTrisagion

• Hoplitarches
  • All good things come to an end
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
I've never heard of him before, but I think the idea of going from atheist professor to monk in Egypt strikes enough dissonance in people that it arises curiosity.
God bless!

Offline LizaSymonenko

• Слава Ісусу Христу!!! Glory to Jesus Christ!!!
  • Global Moderator
  • Hoplitarches
    • St.Mary the Protectress Ukrainian Orthodox Cathedral
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Ukrainian Orthodox Church of the U.S.A.

I've never heard of him, either....but, good for him!

Perhaps he can inspire others...not necessarily in to monasticism, but, to Orthodoxy and Truth.

More power to him!
Conquer evil men by your gentle kindness, and make zealous men wonder at your goodness. Put the lover of legality to shame by your compassion. With the afflicted be afflicted in mind. Love all men, but keep distant from all men.
—St. Isaac of Syria

Offline Alpo

• Merarches
  • Faith: Finnish Orthodox
I've never heard of him before

IIRC he was featured in a British tv-series. Also, I recall seeing several interviews over the internets. That's a lot more than one usually sees in Western media.
But the stranger that dwelleth with you shall be unto you as one born among you, and thou shalt love him as thyself; for ye were strangers in the land of Egypt: I am the LORD your God.
Leviticus 19:34

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
Australian Atheist to Coptic Monk
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2014, 02:14:39 PM »
Why an Australian atheist philosopher moved to Egypt and became a Coptic monk

http://www.vox.com/xpress/2014/11/9/7177553/why-australian-atheist-philosopher-moved-to-egypt-became-coptic-monk
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
Re: Australian Atheist to Coptic Monk
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2014, 02:58:45 PM »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Online rakovsky

• Merarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2014, 03:11:38 PM »
They don't let me delete my own threads.
The ocean, infinite to men, and the worlds beyond it, are directed by the same ordinances of the Lord. ~ I Clement 20

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #8 on: November 11, 2014, 03:15:06 PM »

Mods have the ability to merge threads, though. (I know this, because there is a thread on here that was created by merging several threads about alleged similarities with Hinduism).
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Salpy

• Toumarches
  • Holy Martyrs of the Armenian Genocide pray for us!
« Reply #9 on: November 11, 2014, 04:23:39 PM »

Don't worry.  There can never be too many threads about Fr. Lazarus.   :)

I'll merge the threads anyway. 

Online scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
I remember watching that program with Fr. Lazarus (there was a thread dedicated to it).  I knew he wasn't Egyptian, but I always thought he was English.  Never knew anything about his past belief system. Fascinating.  Just goes to show you that many people who go about their lives trying to disprove Christianity often become Christians themselves in the process.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline hecma925

• Non-clairvoyant, but you can call me Elder
  • Toumarches
  • Unbreakable! He's alive, dammit! It's a MIRACLE!
  • Faith: Truthful Chalcedonian Truther
  • Jurisdiction: Candle-lighting Cross Kisser
I've never heard of him before, but I think the idea of going from atheist professor to monk in Egypt strikes enough dissonance in people that it arises curiosity.

This has only happened because, even though he lives an eremitc life, he allows recorded interviews.  If no one had made a documentary on him or if Coptic Christian Youth Channel never made a series of his talks, not many folks would know about him.  The power of the Internet can be good and this is one of those times.
Happy shall he be, that shall take and dash thy little ones against the rock. Alleluia.

Once Christ has filled the Cross, it can never be empty again.

"But God doesn't need your cookies!  Arrive on time!"

Offline wgw

• All scorpions must DIE!!!
  • Taxiarches
  • This icon is of St. Athansius.
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox
I myself am a huge fan of Fr. Lazarus.  He was an interesting and well educated man before his lifestyle change, and thus from the desert he continues to be a professor of sorts, teaching Orthodox,youth and the rest of,the world about the joy to be found in unceasing prayer.
Axios and many years to you, Fr. Trenham!