OrthodoxChristianity.net
September 21, 2014, 06:30:38 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Theosis and the Early Church  (Read 1412 times) Average Rating: 0
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« on: May 19, 2005, 09:56:40 PM »

When talking to many of my Protestant friends about Orthodoxy, our discussion often centers around salvation and difference between the Orthodox view and the Protestant one. I was wondering if anyone could help show me an early Church father that describes salvation as a process (theosis). Protestants generally want some kind of evidence to prove one's point, so I'd like to show an early Church father that obviously salvation as a process. I'd direct them to some obvious passages in the Bible...but we don't see things the same way.

Thanks for your help,
Troy
Philokalia
Christus vincit, Christus regnat, Christus imperat

Faith: Roman Catholic

Hail Mary Full of Grace

« Reply #1 on: May 20, 2005, 01:54:26 AM »

You might find http://www.plasticsusa.com/ortho/etheosis.html interesting though not Patristic in content it does present the theology with clarity and with scriptural references which Protestants are usually keen on. You might also like http://www.orthodoxinfo.com/inquirers/frag_salv.aspx

Violence is a lie, for it goes against the truth of our faith, the truth of our humanity. Violence destroys what it claims to defend: the dignity, the life, the freedom of human beings. Violence is a crime against humanity, for it destroys the very fabric of society.
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #2 on: May 20, 2005, 07:24:33 PM »

It is good to study the Church Fathers on theosis, just make sure not to share anything you find with a Mormon.

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
troy

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: GOA

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2005, 09:10:37 AM »

Thanks Philokalia, the first link was a good introduction with scripture to share with Protestants, and the second was good for me, someone who also comes to Orthodoxy from a Western, Protestant perspective.

Thanks again!
Troy
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2012, 09:57:43 PM »

"God also is truly perfect in all things, Himself equal and similar to Himself, as He is all light, and all mind, and all substance, and the fount of all good; but man receives advancement and increase towards God. For as God is always the same, so also man, when found in God, shall always go on towards God. For neither does God at any time cease to confer benefits upon, or to enrich man; nor does man ever cease from receiving the benefits, and being enriched by God." - St. Ireneaus, Against Heresies, 4.11.2

"we have not been made gods from the beginning, but at first merely men, then at length gods; although God has adopted this course out of His pure benevolence, that no one may impute to Him invidiousness or grudgingness. He declares, 'I have said, You are gods; and you are all sons of the Highest.'" - St. Ireneaus, Against Heresies, 4.38.4

"For it is thus that you will both controvert them in a legitimate manner, and will be prepared to receive the proofs brought forward against them, casting away their doctrines as filth by means of the celestial faith; but following the only true and steadfast Teacher, the Word of God, our Lord Jesus Christ, who did, through His transcendent love, become what we are, that He might bring us to be even what He is Himself." - St. Ireneaus, Against Heresies, 5.Preface

"You have, then, God's promise; you have His love: become partaker of His grace... And now the Word Himself clearly speaks to you, shaming your unbelief; yea, I say, the Word of God became man, that you may learn from man how man may become God. Is it not then monstrous, my friends, that while God is ceaselessly exhorting us to virtue, we should spurn His kindness and reject salvation?" - St. Clement of Alexandria, Exhortation to the Heathen, 1

"But that man with whom the Word dwells does not alter himself, does not get himself up: he has the form which is of the Word; he is made like to God; he is beautiful; he does not ornament himself: his is beauty, the true beauty, for it is God; and that man becomes God, since God so wills." - St. Clement of Alexandria, The Instructor, 3.1

"As, then, if a man should, similarly to those drugged by Circe, become a beast; so he, who has spurned the ecclesiastical tradition, and darted off to the opinions of heretical men, has ceased to be a man of God and to remain faithful to the Lord. But he who has returned from this deception, on hearing the Scriptures, and turned his life to the truth, is, as it were, from being a man made a god." - St. Clement of Alexandria, Stromata, 7.16

See here for more...

"No man gives the same exegesis twice: for he is not the same man, and it is not the same text." - St. Heraclitus
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2012, 02:17:30 AM »

I didn't know Troy Polamalu was a member of the forum

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2012, 02:19:44 AM »

Huh
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #7 on: August 14, 2012, 02:23:34 AM »

LOL

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
sheenj
OC.net guru

Faith: Oriental Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Indian/Malankara Orthodox Syrian Church

St. Gregorios of Parumala, pray for us...

« Reply #8 on: August 14, 2012, 02:28:41 AM »

Huh
I think he's referring to troy from the GOA, which if I'm not mistaken is Troy Polamalu's jurisdiction.
Shiny
Site Supporter
Moderated
Toumarches

Faith: Groucho Marxist
Jurisdiction: Dahntahn Stoop Haus

Paint It Red

« Reply #9 on: August 14, 2012, 02:38:17 AM »

Huh
I think he's referring to troy from the GOA, which if I'm not mistaken is Troy Polamalu's jurisdiction.
Yep it is

“There is your brother, naked, crying, and you stand there confused over the choice of an attractive floor covering.”

– St. Ambrose of Milan
IoanC
Archon

« Reply #10 on: August 14, 2012, 07:45:10 AM »

"God has become man so that man might become god." (St. Athanasius The Great, Church Father, 293-373)
Maybe he wrote more?

PeterTheAleut
The Right Blowhard Peter the Furtive of Yetts O'Muckhart
Section Moderator
Protospatharios

Faith: Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

Lord, have mercy on the Christians in Mosul!

« Reply #11 on: August 14, 2012, 08:39:50 AM »

Huh
Yep it is
I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that there are undoubtedly many men named Troy in the GOAA, so just because someone named troy from the GOA posts here doesn't mean it's Troy Polamalu. BTW, if y'all check the guy's profile, you'll find a lot more information about this poster. For instance, this troy is much too young to be the Greek Orthodox NFL star safety. (Methinks Rottnek may be joking with us.)
JamesRottnek
Protokentarchos

Faith: Anglican
Jurisdiction: Episcopal Diocese of Arizona

I am Bibleman; putting 'the' back in the Ukraine

« Reply #12 on: August 14, 2012, 07:37:46 PM »

Huh
Yep it is
I'm aware of that. I'm also aware that there are undoubtedly many men named Troy in the GOAA, so just because someone named troy from the GOA posts here doesn't mean it's Troy Polamalu. BTW, if y'all check the guy's profile, you'll find a lot more information about this poster. For instance, this troy is much too young to be the Greek Orthodox NFL star safety. (Methinks Rottnek may be joking with us.)

Youthinks right.

I know a secret about a former Supreme Court Justice.  Can you guess what it is?

The greatest tragedy in the world is when a cigarette ends.

American Spirits - the eco-friendly cigarette.

Preston Robert Kinney (September 8th, 1997-August 14, 2011
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: