Author Topic: Why the rush to big numbers? Mayan (Greek) Orthodox in Guatemala: 2014 Estimate  (Read 25427 times)

Offline Orest

• OC.net guru
Why doesn't anyone speak normally anymore?
I am happy when people use proper grammar: for example, proper use of an adverb (normally) following a verb.
You made my day!

Offline LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Protokentarchos
Why doesn't anyone speak normally anymore?
I am happy when people use proper grammar: for example, proper use of an adverb (normally) following a verb.
You made my day!

You mean, "He hit it it quickly" is incorrect and, "He quickly hit it" is more less acceptable? even though there is a subtle difference?

How about your above sentence, "I am happy when people use proper grammar"
The modifier of the use of grammar would be "properly" such as "I am happy when people properly use grammar" or "I am happy when people use grammar properly" even more correct?
I too love the language and glad another lover is found. Some of us have fun in such glorious ways!
God is The Creator of All Free Beings

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
Pardon me, but using "proper grammar" and using grammar properly don't (necessarily) convey the same intent. :) No wonder my grandparents had such trouble with the English language!  ;)

Offline ialmisry

• There's nothing John of Damascus can't answer
  • Strategos
Christ is risen!
« Last Edit: April 22, 2015, 03:34:19 PM by ialmisry »
Question a friend, perhaps he did not do it; but if he did anything so that he may do it no more.
A hasty quarrel kindles fire,
and urgent strife sheds blood.
If you blow on a spark, it will glow;
if you spit on it, it will be put out;
                           and both come out of your mouth

Offline podkarpatska

• Merarches
  • Pokrov
    • ACROD (home)
^My late mother would fail to see the humor, but she influenced my oldest whose PhD advisor asked him where he learned grammar, as so little of it seemed to have stuck on the science majors.  ;)

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
I had a question about the Mayan Orthodox in Guatemala, but it isn't important enough to start a new thread...

On one of the blogs that detail missionary activities in Guatemala it mentions translating materials into both Spanish and 'local dialects,' and I was wondering if these dialects were something falling under Spanish, or if it rather means the various kinds of Mayan?

Offline Antonious Nikolas

• Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite
  • Taxiarches
  • Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Oriental Orthodox Church
I think the latter.
I'm with the camp of 13 million Americans that believe politicians are, or are controlled by, Reptilians. I think only monks can solve this problem. It doesn't seem right that they prefer to ignore it.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
It's definitely Mayan. I hear Maya refer to all outsiders as Spanish, like the Amish call everyone English.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Ok, thanks for the info :)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
I had a question about the Mayan Orthodox in Guatemala, but it isn't important enough to start a new thread...

On one of the blogs that detail missionary activities in Guatemala it mentions translating materials into both Spanish and 'local dialects,' and I was wondering if these dialects were something falling under Spanish, or if it rather means the various kinds of Mayan?

Various Mayan dialects is what is meant by the statement, as others have mentioned.  One of our local clergy, Fr. John Chakos (one of the early movers-and-shakers with OCMC, former long-term missionary, and now semi-retired priest) spends 4-6 months per year in Guatemala helping catechize, train their seminarians, and other things (and his Pres. Sandy has trained local seamstresses to make vestments, a source of revenue for the mission).  He even teaches some classes via Skype when he's back stateside.  He has mentioned that there are a plethora of dialects which can be difficult to navigate (similar to sub-saharan Africa). 
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline Jetavan

• Argumentum ad australopithecum
  • Taxiarches
  • Tenzin and Desmond
    • The Mystical Theology
Why the big numbers?

Mayans love big numbers.
If you will, you can become all flame.
Extra caritatem nulla salus.
In order to become whole, take the "I" out of "holiness".
सर्वभूतहित
Ἄνω σχῶμεν τὰς καρδίας
"Those who say religion has nothing to do with politics do not know what religion is." -- Mohandas Gandhi
Y dduw bo'r diolch.

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos

Various Mayan dialects is what is meant by the statement, as others have mentioned.  One of our local clergy, Fr. John Chakos (one of the early movers-and-shakers with OCMC, former long-term missionary, and now semi-retired priest) spends 4-6 months per year in Guatemala helping catechize, train their seminarians, and other things (and his Pres. Sandy has trained local seamstresses to make vestments, a source of revenue for the mission).  He even teaches some classes via Skype when he's back stateside.  He has mentioned that there are a plethora of dialects which can be difficult to navigate (similar to sub-saharan Africa).

+1 thanks for the further info

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
Just wondering: have any of the Orthodox in Guatemala converted to the Catholic Church along with Fr. Andrew Vujisic?  He was reported in the past to be involved in distance education of the Guatemalans.

Offline IreneOlinyk

• High Elder
Just wondering: have any of the Orthodox in Guatemala converted to the Catholic Church along with Fr. Andrew Vujisic?  He was reported in the past to be involved in distance education of the Guatemalans.
Here is the reference to the involvement of the former Orthodox priest: Fr. Andrew (Zoran) Vujisic:  http://www.orthodoxtoronto.ca/guatemala.html

and following months of catechetical and pastoral preparation by the Mitered Archimandrite Andrew (Vujisić), ... Fourteen students from Guatemala, with full scholarship, are now enrolled in the St. Gregory Nazianzen Orthodox Theological Institute Licentiate degree program...Mitered Archimandrite Andrew (Vujisić) has now assumed the arduous task of preparing qualified men and women, indigenous to Guatemala and the Latin American culture and experience, for leadership roles in the Orthodox Church, thus advancing apostolic diakonia and outreach into the broader region, and creating an environment, that while fostering respect for indigenous cultures, will develop a proper knowledge and understanding of the Orthodox faith, leading our new Guatemalan family to a spiritual and sacramental life, an Orthodox phronema, and orthopraxia.

« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 05:04:01 PM by IreneOlinyk »

Offline Asteriktos

• Hypatos
Also, how many Orthodox or Orthodox-adjacent groups are operating down there? (I ask after finding out that the GOC old calendarists claim to have a mission and hermitage down there)

Offline Fr. George

• formerly "Cleveland"
  • Administrator
  • Stratopedarches
  • May the Lord bless you and keep you always!
  • Jurisdiction: Greek Orthodox Metropolis of Pittsburgh
Also, how many Orthodox or Orthodox-adjacent groups are operating down there? (I ask after finding out that the GOC old calendarists claim to have a mission and hermitage down there)

Unsure.  I'll try to remember to ask Fr. John next time I see him.
I don't typically presume to speak for Mor
You can presume to speak for Mor.  

How in Mor's good name
one hundred fifty four posts
No Rachel Weisz pic

Selam

Offline RaphaCam

• Protokentarchos
  • It is honourable to reveal the works of God
    • Em Espírito e em Verdade
  • Faith: Big-O Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Exarchate of Gotham City
I wonder how and why evangelisation became so intense in Guatemala. Anyway, it could well be a model, specially for rural regions.

Beside the main Greek and Syriac groups, I'm aware of Antiochian and Russian presence, too.
"May the Lord our God remember in His kingdom all Holy Catholic Apostolic Church, which heralds the Word of Truth and fearlessly offers and distributes the Holy Oblation despite human deficiencies and persecutions moved by the powers of this world, in all time and unto the ages of ages."

Check my blog "Em Espírito e em Verdade" (in Portuguese)