OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 23, 2014, 01:08:20 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: P.O.D.: A Christian Band?  (Read 2995 times) Average Rating: 0
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« on: May 19, 2005, 03:09:41 AM »

Lately, I have been wondering if P.O.D. is really a "Christian band". First of all, their obvious affinity for Rastafarianism should be suspect. Do the members of the "Christian" alternative metal band P.O.D. smoke pot? This is something that kind of bothers me. I own Southtown and Satellite, which are good albums, but their references to Rastafarian terms kind of get annoying after awhile.
 P.O.D. is, after all, a street term for marijuana.
On the street, "P.O.D." stands for "Past Over-dosed". In fact, there is a Bone Thugs song entitled "P.O.D."
Furthermore, just as "pot" is a slang for marijuana, "pod" is also.
The members of the band admit to having smoked marijuana in their high school years, perhaps they still do but are not open about it, due to their audience.
Think about it. Why else would their guitarist leave the band over "spiritual differences"? I don't know but this all sounds a little too suspicious to me.
Please consider the following:
"Curiel did not comment on his religious beliefs, but he said he was tired of playing Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde. "I hate the facade of putting on a mask in front of fans and then behind the scenes acting like someone else," he said. "I just want to be myself all the time."

The guitarist said P.O.D. is not as righteous as their reputation. "The thing that's really bugging me out is the e-mail is portrayed all holy and sh--," he said of the letter, which ended with: "Please continue to keep P.O.D. and Marcos in your prayers. All our love is yours. Be blessed."

"I hate that. That's one of the main differences we had is philosophy. They're putting that out because they know their market and they know what kids are going to say about all that."

Curiel, who has produced and remixed songs for the Nappy Roots and others, said he believes his former band would not have been so adamant against his side project if its other members were from Christian bands. The group, called the Accident Experiment, features two members of fellow San Diego band Sprung Monkey and a singer from Seattle.

"The kids are already talking all this sh-- [on P.O.D.'s Web site], 'I'm not going to support that band. Sprung Monkey is a party band,' " Curiel said. "I'm sitting there going, 'Dude, what do you think P.O.D. does behind the scenes? Do you think they're angels?' I want to keep it positive, dude, but they keep making me come off as the bad guy.""
http://www.mtv.com/news/articles/1470028/20030219/pod.jhtml?headlines=true

I am not trying to place unfair judgements on P.O.D. They do not actually claim to be a "Christian band" but only Christians in a band. But then again, their music is featured in Christian music stores and they play at Christian music festivals. If these guys are really just a bunch of potsmoking Rastas, they should come forward with the truth.

Concerning their upcoming album:
"Sandoval said while the band's in L.A. they'll try to get Korn's Jonathan Davis down to the studio to lay down vocals for one of the album cuts.

"I asked him if he wanted to jump in and do a track with us, and he's actually confirmed," Sonny said. "But he just had a baby, so he's been kind of lying low."

P.O.D. have also been playing phone tag with Cypress Hill's B Real to see if he'd contribute his high-pitched rhymes. But the big prize for Sandoval would be to get a certain blonde to loan her sweet pipes to a track: Gwen Stefani.

"We have a reggae cut that we're doing, and it came out really nice, but it needs a female vocal on it," he explained. "We'd like to get Gwen Stefani because she's OG, period. An old rocker. But she's so extremely busy with her new stuff, it's been tough."
http://www.cmt.com/artists/news/1501017/04292005/pod.jhtml

Cypris Hill is notorious for being a pothead group! This is getting to be too much.

May peace be upon thee and with thy spirit.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 03:17:13 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 10:00:14 AM »

Hey,while still a protestant, I used to go to this site and read their articles.  I once found a section on P.O.D and Contemporary Christian Music in general.  While I don't agree with this site's position, I think that it holds some pertinent info to this thread.  Here is Part 1:

http://www.av1611.org/crock/pod.html

WHAT ABOUT P.O.D.?
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Dr. Terry Watkins, Th.D.  Dial-the-Truth Ministries

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Contemporary Christian Music’s latest "rock-gods" are the metal-rap-rockers called P.O.D. Sporting heavily tattooed and pierced bodies, P.O.D. has completely destroyed any remaining fragments of Biblical walls of Christian separation, gospel and convictions. P.O.D has subtilty introduced and indoctrinated Christian young people to a false, anti-Jesus, religion.

NOTE: For more info on tattoos

Before I get started, let me emphasize just how popular P.O.D. is. Their album Fundamental Elements of Southtown (released Aug. 24, 1999) went platinum in two years. Their recent album Satellite (released Sept. 11, 2001) in just four weeks went platinum. In case you don't know — to receive platinum status — a record must sell a million copies. So we're dealing with a very popular band. And the great majority of their fans are Christian young people.

In this article, we’ll clearly document, P.O.D., (like much of CCM. which we have documented many times):

Disobey the clear teachings of the Bible.
Pervert the Lord Jesus Christ.
Use filthy profanity in their speech.
Proudly admit to drinking alcoholic beverages.
Fellowship and promote openly wicked, vulgar and satanic music.
Corrupt the pure teachings of Jesus Christ with the false religion of Rastafarianism.
Attack Bible Believing Christians and Christianity.
Because of the seriousness and spiritual danger of P.O.D., this is a lengthy and detailed article. I would encourage you, very strongly, especially young people, parents or pastors of young people, who are listening to P.O.D. and today’s Christian Rock, to take the time and read it thoroughly and prayerfully.

We’ve tried to be honest, but plain and straight forward (2 Cor. 3.12, Matt. 5:37). We’ve documented our material.

It breaks my heart to see so many Christian young people so deceived and following these groups and their music. And P.O.D. are not alone - there are many such groups polluting so-called Christian music.

For some Christians this material will not be easy to digest. In fact, it will be very hard to read, and even harder to take action. For some it will make you angry - angry at me for telling you the truth. But as the Apostle Paul said to the Galatians:

"Am I therefore become your enemy, because I tell you the truth?"
Galatians 4:16
One of the primary purposes of music is to "teach and admonish one another":

Let the word of Christ dwell in you richly in all wisdom; teaching and admonishing one another in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing with grace in your hearts to the Lord.
Colossians 3:16
I am frightened when I look out on the horizon of today’s Christianity and see openly rebellious and disobedient groups such as P.O.D., "teaching and admonishing" our young people. There are very few voices speaking out against the corruption in today’s Christian music - most are promoting and praising it.

If the Lord Jesus Christ, does not come back very soon - with the perversion, corruption, tolerance, and lack of spiritual discernment being taught in today’s Christian music, how in the world will the Christian young people of tomorrow, be able to "quench all the fiery darts of the wicked." (Ephesians 6:16)

If you are a Christian that loves the Lord Jesus Christ and your desire is to live for Him - before you begin reading this article - please pray and ask the Lord if He would help you discern the truth. He promised He would:

7 Ask, and it shall be given you; seek, and ye shall find; knock, and it shall be opened unto you:
8 For every one that asketh receiveth; and he that seeketh findeth; and to him that knocketh it shall be opened.
Matthew 7:7-8

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 10:04:54 AM »

Okay, so there is about five sections to the article.  So, if you want to read more, visit the link.  It isn't an Orthodox website (it's actually Independent Fundamental Baptist), nor do I agree with it and its mudslinging, but the info is documented and well researched.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #3 on: May 19, 2005, 02:31:16 PM »

I've read the Dial the Truth article before and it is mostly only useful for the quotes of P.O.D.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 02:31:37 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA

« Reply #4 on: May 19, 2005, 03:52:25 PM »

one of my CDs from the retreats i went on w/ my catholic club back in the day has the P.O.D. song "Alive" on it...it's a good song Smiley

hmmmm...
Rho
Running from dead works to Christ.

« Reply #5 on: May 19, 2005, 03:54:22 PM »

Looks like the worst thing they've got POD on is hanging out w/ heathens, cussing sometimes and drinking beer.
Probably the most disturbing thing they said was "I don't regret any of it" referring to the previous life when they smoked alot of pot.  The statements about not regretting and the smoking pot were not consecutive, though...

My two cents... not so convincing so as to make me stop listening to them.  Amy Grant is worse.

"I have taken my good deeds and my bad deeds and thrown them together in a heap. Then I have fled from both of them to Christ, and in Him I have peace." --David Dickson

Matthew 9:13 - Who is the sinner if not I?
Ian Lazarus
The Main Man!
OC.net guru

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: AOA

yIjah, Qey' 'oH!

« Reply #6 on: May 19, 2005, 04:01:16 PM »

POD.  Spew! 

Sorry.  Not a fan of their music.

"For I am With thee, withersoever thou goest"

Joshua 1:9
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 04:06:37 PM »

The statements about not regretting and the smoking pot were not consecutive, though...

GW: Can you reconcile Christianity with Rastafarianism?

Sonny: With Rasta, a lot of it is scripture-based. People walk around singing Bob Marley lyrics, but they don't even know he got that from Psalms or Proverbs or something. The Rastas just kind of twist scripture their own way. But as far as morality, it's the same. And they believe in Jesus Christ just like we do. But they believe that the Second Coming of Christ was Haile Selassie. They believe the Second Coming already happened. So there's differences. (*shrugs*) They smoke a lot of herb, you know? It's a spiritual thing.

GuitarWorld, November 2001

Perhaps a "Christian band" would say that marijuana use is detrimental to the Rastafarian but instead, we get that it is a "spiritual thing".
« Last Edit: May 19, 2005, 04:07:49 PM by Matthew777 » Logged

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #8 on: May 20, 2005, 08:11:03 PM »

well....I don't particularly care for P.O.D......nor any other groups who can't ever rise above screaming and pounding on guitars (except Minor Threat....they were the first ones to do it and they were good) with shallow jock-mentality lyrics.....it's all really been passe ever since Black Flag's "Damaged" almost 25 years ago

But I find that article that was just quoted so typical of the cookie-cutter, inbred, Fundamentalist type who thinks anyone who doesn't wear Banana Republic, play golf, vote Republican,  have blonde buzz cuts, or speak with a southern accent must obviously be some perverted, sinister, subversive, sulphur-breathing Satanist.  I mean: He has tattoos and piercings, ergo they are Satanic?....COME ON!!!.....GET REAL.

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
Justin Kissel
Formerly Asteriktos
Protospatharios

theologian by day, bard by night

« Reply #9 on: May 20, 2005, 11:35:27 PM »

P.O.D.'s old school stuff was good, the newer stuff is way too commercialized/pop(ular)ized for my tastes. Check out their 1996 album Brown, there's some good, raw, vibrant music on there. Btw, POD stands for Payable On Death.

Personally I like screaming and guitars. I guess that's why I like the new Underoath album, which isn't nearly as heavy as their first few, but then again the only member of the band remaining from those days is the drummer (who rocks!)

I was really let down by Tourniquet's newer stuff. They even had Marty Friedman (in Megadeth during some of their best years, in a band w/Jason Becker, and also had some good, Japanese-influenced slow melodic stuff on Scenes) playing lead for Pete's sake, and still it felt like a bunch of riffs thrown together with no real jamming time to gauge the chemistry of their workmanship (if they had jammed a bit, I can't honestly think that by the time they got to the 20th replay they would still be saying "yeah, let's put that on the record"... which raises the question of how much they are effected by their not touring very much at all, but that's a diffierent issue I guess).
« Last Edit: May 20, 2005, 11:41:17 PM by Paradosis » Logged
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #10 on: May 21, 2005, 12:08:50 AM »

Minor Threat....they were the first ones to do it...

What about AC/DC?

shallow jock-mentality lyrics

P.O.D. lyrics are often deeply philosophical, at least for a "nu-metal" group.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #11 on: May 21, 2005, 12:10:52 AM »

Btw, POD stands for Payable On Death.

We all know that is what P.O.D. would like us to believe. Wink

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
idontlikenames
I'm gonna be the next Matthew777 (whatever that means)

You forgot my briefcase

« Reply #12 on: May 24, 2005, 05:07:03 PM »

What about AC/DC?

Well, AC/DC carried some kind of tune, albeit loudly.....but the first ones to vocalize their music with a bona-fide SCREAM (rather than merely sing "screamily"), I believe, were Minor Threat

....yes, indeed, such music can carry philosophical meanings, but the more contemporary and radio-friendly any given genre of music becomes, the less philosophically deep it gets (compare the lyrics from a song by P.O.D. to  ones from a song by Fugazi)

laa ilaah illa al-Maal wa Rothschild howa nabeehi
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #13 on: May 28, 2005, 02:06:35 AM »

Though I still enjoy Southtown and Satellite, I will not purchase any of their new albums. Without their original guitarist, it just isn't P.O.D. And the fact that he left the band over "philosophical differences" should mean something.

www.aramaicpeshitta.com
Tags:
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: