OrthodoxChristianity.net
November 26, 2014, 06:07:36 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: St. Mary and St. Moses Abbey  (Read 2515 times) Average Rating: 0
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« on: May 19, 2005, 12:46:44 AM »

I am so excited.  The Diocese of the Southern US (Coptic Orthodox) has purchased an old abbey near Corpus Christi, Texas.  Here is the article from the Diocese website:

http://www.suscopts.org/press/monastery.html

St. Mary & St. Moses Abbey

COLLEYVILLE, TX. March 17, 2005 -- The Coptic Orthodox Diocese of the Southern United States has recently purchased a 92-acre abbey in Corpus Christi, Texas, which is 2 hrs away from San Antonio.

With the blessings of H.H. Pope Shenouda III, the abbey has been named St. Mary & St. Moses Abbey.

It has the following features:

It has a U shaped main building with 8 cells for Monks, a Chapel, Library, PC Lab, Nursing station, kitchen, Dining hall and some other annexes.
There are 2 other buildings with 21 cells for Monks in each (42 cells).
There is also the abbey's Church which will be modified according to the Coptic style.
In the abbey there is a retreat facility for a capacity of 150 persons with sleeping rooms, lectures' hall, kitchen, dining hall, reception and other related wings.
There is also a Book Store for books and religious items.
There is a carpentry workshop, smithy and a garage.

The abbey belonged to the Catholic Monks (Benedict's Monasticism), and due to the passing away of some Monks and moving of others to other Monasteries, only three Monks were residing there so they decided to sell Abbey. The abbey needs maintenance and some repairs, so an architectural committee has been formed to supervise those processes.

We thank the Lord for granting us this wonderful blessing.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
SetFree
King of Kings

Faith: Oriental Orthodox (Catechumen)
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox Church

Christ, Our God, To Earth Descendeth...

« Reply #1 on: May 19, 2005, 12:49:30 AM »

The only problem is that my Church's priest is so involved in the prepping of the Monastery, that he cannot give me formal instruction in the faith himself.  The diocese is rotating the Houston priests at our church.  Abouna Antonios and I have met and I have begun reading and studying the church and reading H.H.'s books.  I am so excited about the monastery, however, because it shows a growth in the diocese and, thus, the church as a whole.

At His Feet The Six-Winged Seraph, Cherubim, With Sleepless Eye, Veil Their Faces To His Presence As With Ceasless Voice They Cry:ÂÂ  Alleluia! Alleluia! Alleluia!ÂÂ  Lord Most High! --From the Liturgy of St. James (Translated by Gerard Moultrie)
Antonious Nikolas
Orthodox Christian, Miaphysite, Anagnostis
Archon

Faith: Oriental Orthodox Christian
Jurisdiction: Coptic Orthodox

Saint Nicholas the Wonderworker, Bishop of Myra

« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2005, 02:24:59 PM »

This is wonderful news!  In the meantime, although I am no substitute for Abouna, feel free to e-mail me any time you want to discuss the Faith.

My sins run out behind me and I do not see them, but today I am coming to judge the errors of another.
Tags: Monastery Texas Coptic Orthodox Church 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: