OrthodoxChristianity.net
August 02, 2014, 12:55:10 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: Reminder: No political discussions in the public fora.  If you do not have access to the private Politics Forum, please send a PM to Fr. George.

Home   Help Calendar Contact Treasury Tags Login Register  
Pages: 1   Go Down
  Print  
Author Topic: Dianetics, another baseless new age religion for sheeple?  (Read 2523 times) Average Rating: 0
Nacho
OC.net guru

Faith: EasternOrthodox
Jurisdiction: OCA

The face of Corporate America

« on: May 18, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »

Ok, I was over at the state capitol due to work related business and I noticed this big tent and these people wearing yellow shirts with a cross and something else about dianetics. There were a bunch of them going around to people trying to get them into this tent to take a stress test. Anyway, I decided to do it for the heck of it and I sat down and held these two metal things in both hands and it was hooked up to some electronic looking device with a meter. One of the people asked me to think of a few things that stressed me out and the instant I did the arrow on the meter went up. After the few questions, he then proceeded to tell me about this wonderful thing called Dianetics and how it would take all my stress and worries away. He then tried to foist a book on me by someone named Ron L. Hubbard and told me how it was a best seller and has helped millions of people. I didn't take the book and told them I would do a google search about dianetics. He then became a little defensive and said that a bunch of different websites may come up with anti-dianetic information. I felt very weird around these people and did sense something very demonic about it. I don't think they were possessed but there were definitely demons around them. The word "mind control cult" also kept popping in my mind when they were talking with me. I don't know anything about dianetics, but from I could discern it seems to be another new age religion for the American 'sheeple' to gobble up. Maybe they will get many members like the Mormons or JW's. They all seem to use similar tactics.

Does anyone know anything about this group? They also had a DVD running in the background with Tom  Cruise on it.

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Elisha
Protokentarchos

Faith: Orthodox

« Reply #1 on: May 18, 2005, 07:59:32 PM »

Ron L. Hubbard....dum, dum, dum, dum, dum....dum!
Anastasios
Webdespota
Administrator
Merarches

Faith: Eastern Orthodox
Jurisdiction: Greek Old Calendarist

Metropolitan Chrysostomos of Florina

anastasios0513
« Reply #2 on: May 18, 2005, 08:04:06 PM »

Do that google search Wink

Met. Demetrius's Enthronement

Disclaimer: Past posts reflect stages of my life before my baptism may not be accurate expositions of Orthodox teaching.

I served as an Orthodox priest from June 2008 to April 2013, before resigning for personal reasons
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #3 on: May 18, 2005, 09:27:21 PM »

Do that google search Wink

Thanks, I'm going to do that. Hopefully it will provide for a few laughs. The guy I talked to also said he works over at the Capitol and said, "I'm sure we will be bumping into each other in the future." I'm going to have to do some crafty maneuvering to avoid him if I see him. Maybe I can throw a book on the church fathers at him or something.... laugh

"If I find in myself a desire which no experience in this world can satisfy, the most probable explanation is that I was made for another world."--Mere Christianity
Stephen Barrow

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2005, 09:40:19 PM »

L. Ron Hubbard = SCIENTOLOGY AND DIANETICS
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2005, 09:57:15 PM »

Wow, this is one of the first things I just read about dianetics....

"High-ranking members of the church believe they are posessed by thousands of souls of dead aliens, called body thetans. These souls were implanted with false visions of reality by an evil intergalactic ruler named Xenu, 75 million years ago. This possession hinders mankind from achiving its true potential -- and only Scientology tech can exorcise these body thetans."

LoL, they sound even worse than the mormons. Now I'm really going to have to look into this. If the above is true then I'm amazed any human being could fall for such garbage. Do they beleive that bigfoot and the cookie monster are real also?  Roll Eyes 

Donna Rose
High Elder

Faith: Eastern Orthodox Christian

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2005, 10:06:07 PM »

"High-ranking members of the church believe they are posessed by thousands of souls of dead aliens, called body thetans. These souls were implanted with false visions of reality by an evil intergalactic ruler named Xenu, 75 million years ago. This possession hinders mankind from achiving its true potential -- and only Scientology tech can exorcise these body thetans."

gosh this kinda talk would only serve to increase my stress level... :a: :a: :a: :::ducking from the aliens::: :confused:

hmmmm...
jmbejdl
Count-Palatine James the Spurious of Giggleswick on the Naze
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Church of Romania

Great Martyr St. John the New of Suceava

« Reply #7 on: May 19, 2005, 04:21:38 AM »

Nacho,

Apart from being a really bad SF writer (and I'm kind of a science fiction connosieur), L. Ron Hubbard was also a complete fraud. Unfortunately he wasn't a harmless one. He remarked shortly before founding his 'church' that the best way to become rich was to found a religion and that's exactly what he did. I'm actually quite surprised that anyone, particularly in America, is unfamiliar with scientology, what with all the celebrity cultists like John Travolta and Tom Cruise, but maybe that's why the evangelists you came across referred only to the less familiar term 'dianetics'.

Scientology's 'theology', if you can call it that, is straight out of a bad science fiction novel, weirder than LDS beliefs and showing less consistency with the world around us than 'the Force'. On top of that, those who join the cult get progresively fleeced of more and more money as they take terribly expensive 'courses' to cure themselves. It's considered such a dangerous cult in some parts of Europe that it's even discriminated against (for instance in Germany where they can't register as a church). Just think how bad that is - almost no religion can be legitimately discriminated against in the wishy washy, secularised EU.

James

We owe greater gratitude to those who humble us, wrong us, and douse us with venom, than to those who nurse us with honour and sweet words, or feed us with tasty food and confections, for bile is the best medicine for our soul. - Elder Paisios of Mount Athos
Kolya
Still learning!

Snow in Red Square.

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2005, 08:01:32 AM »

Nacho, three words - Run Forrest, run!

Don't go near it. All you have to know is that it's evil.

Treat others as you would like to be treated!
Arystarcus
High Elder

Faith: Christian

« Reply #9 on: May 23, 2005, 03:26:42 AM »

Dianetics?  Roll Eyes Man, that is old skool!!!
Matthew777
Warned
Archon

Seek and ye shall find

« Reply #10 on: May 23, 2005, 06:30:37 AM »

I knew a guy who visited the Scientology headquarters in California with a group of friends just to check it out. They snuck in through the back where there was a courtyard and a man wearing a robe pacing around in circles. Somehow, they got caught so they got into their car and sped away. Then, a truck from the compound started chasing them and didn't stop until they were far, far, far down the high-way. They were probably followed for a half an hour or more. I am not making this up.
« Last Edit: May 23, 2005, 06:33:41 AM by Matthew777 » Logged

He who has a why to live for can bear with almost any how. - Friedrich Nietzsche
www.aramaicpeshitta.com
http://www.mechon-mamre.org/e/et/et0.htm
Nacho
OC.net guru

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2005, 09:36:18 PM »

Haha....... Grin  Since I held those stupid can soup looking things taking that stress test by these cult members in $cientology I felt the need to revisit this thread. Looks like Tom Cruise has just converted his new girlfriend who was a Catholic to this mind cult.
Katie Holmes converting to stupidity..........  Roll Eyes
Get a grip girlfriend.... (Sarcasm off)

Katie Holmes Converting to Scientology -edited font
MyWayNews.com/Associated Press -edited website and copyright
Jun 13, 1:06 PM (ET)
http://apnews.myway.com/article/20050613/D8AMRQ403.html
Excerpt:

LONDON (AP) - Katie Holmes says she's converting to the Church of Scientology, embracing the religion of her boyfriend, Tom Cruise.

Holmes, in London to promote her new film, "Batman Begins," said Monday that she's excited about her lessons in Scientology, a religion founded by science fiction writer L. Ron Hubbard.

The 26-year-old actress and Cruise went public with their romantic relationship in April. The former Catholic and star of television's "Dawson's Creek" grew up with a poster of Cruise on her bedroom wall and has said she grew up wanting to marry him.

"We all keep dreaming, and luckily, dreams come true," Holmes said.

----Another successful brainwashing complete. Appearantly $cientology does well amongst rich gullible people, especially among the hollywood idiots. Where else can a brain-washing, money-lifting cult find so many ripe, wealthy targets?I guess this is what leads them to endless introspection, egocentrism, serial divorce, addiction, brawling, profligate spending, and....scientology.

prodromas
OC.net guru

Jurisdiction: Under the Green Pope

Greek Orthodox

« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2008, 11:33:34 PM »

Just reviving this thread through an experience I recently had with a "stress test" and they were dumbfounded when the needle wouldn't move and I said to them I am not a stressful person (I'm 17 so yeah nothing stressful has ever happened to me yet but I'm stating University this year so maybe it will) like Nacho said in the start they are mind controlling they are like psychics they make some shotgun blast suggestions (Do you feel like stress is controlling you?), questions that might sound specific but really are common human experiences and then say well here is a book that can help you! I wanted to know if anyone else has had any more run ins with Scientology or any more stress tests?

The sins I don't commit are largely due to the weakness of my limbs.

1915-1923 Հայոց Ցեղասպանութիւն ,never again,
ܩܛܠܐ ܕܥܡܐ ܐܬܘܪܝܐ 1920-1914, never again,
השואה  1933-1945, never again,
(1914-1923) Ελληνική Γενοκτονία, never again
ytterbiumanalyst
Professor Emeritus, CSA
Merarches

Faith: Christian
Jurisdiction: OCA Diocese of the Midwest

« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2008, 11:35:00 AM »

No, I stay clear of them. Between teaching high school, my master's program, and a twelve-week-old daughter, I'm pretty sure my Theta level would make me the incarnation of L. Ron Hubbard. Cheesy

"It is remarkable that what we call the world...in what professes to be true...will allow in one man no blemishes, and in another no virtue."--Charles Dickens
Jakub
Archon

« Reply #14 on: January 30, 2008, 05:22:24 PM »

17... very sketchie memories of a time very many moons ago...but thinking about it makes me smile

pax etc etc

An old timer is a man who's had a lot of interesting experiences -- some of them true.

Grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway, the good fortune to run into the ones I do, and the eyesight to tell the difference.
cholmes

« Reply #15 on: February 08, 2008, 12:08:31 AM »

I would stay as far away from Scientology as possible, that is one messed up group of people.  Look up the Operation Clambake site and prepare to be disgusted.

TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #16 on: February 08, 2008, 12:46:23 AM »

Bart Simpson is a scientologist?!?! Sad  Really Nancy Cartwright, but I am so crushed.  I am always so clueless about these things.  Curse you Wikipedia!

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Myrrh23
OC.net guru

« Reply #17 on: February 08, 2008, 01:12:03 AM »

Hey Guys

This YouTube video explains it beautifully...my apologies for the cussing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0FrQG1aDIIs

Myrrh23

*I am no longer posting on OC.net*

We all have a Black Dog and a White Dog inside of us. The One you feed the most eventually eats the Other.

All are tempted, but it is the courageous person who clings to God during the storm. For the Ego is a prison, but Christ is the Liberator
Pravoslavbob
Section Moderator
Archon

Faith: Orthodox Catholic

St. Sisoes the Great

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2008, 12:28:37 AM »

As Myrrh23 has indicated, this video includes some strong language, including the "f" word.  Viewer discretion is advised.

Pravoslavbob, Religious Topics Moderator.

Religion is a disease, and Orthodoxy is its cure.
TinaG
I am not a pessimist - I'm just grimly realistic!
High Elder

If only my family were this normal !

« Reply #19 on: February 09, 2008, 01:35:38 AM »

Well that was pretty clear (as in expressing clarity, not BT's) and concise.  Sort of  like South Park does apologetics. 

On the spiritual path somewhere between the Simpsons and St. Theophan the Recluse, but I still can't see the Springfield city limits sign yet.
Tags: heresy 
Pages: 1   Go Up
  Print  

Jump to: