Author Topic: Nepal Will No Longer Hold World's Largest Religious Animal Slaughter  (Read 643 times)

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
Nepal will no longer be known as the country that hosts the world's largest religious slaughter of animals. In a historic move, the centuries old tradition of sacrificing hundreds of thousands of animals for the Hindu Goddess Gadhimai came to an end last week.

The Gadhimai Temple Trust announced their decision to ban all animal sacrifices in upcoming festivals, held every five years at the Gadhimai Temple in the town of Bariyarpur. The next one is scheduled to take place in 2019.

"The time has come to replace killing and violence with peaceful worship and celebration," said Ram Chandra Shah, Chairman of the Gadhimai Temple in a press release.

From here.

Until now I had no idea this event even existed. It seems a little out of character for Hindus, or Dharmic religion practitioners in general (although they way Westerners perceive them has always been a little skewed).

I mean, I couldn't imagine George Harrison writing a song about sacrificing half a million goats. But then, Western converts aren't exactly the best representatives of what "real" Hinduism and Buddhism are like.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:11:23 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
  • O most Holy Theotokos, save us.
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: GOC
Re: Nepal Will No Longer Hold World's Largest Religious Animal Slaughter
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2015, 02:25:30 AM »
Praise the Lord.

That must have been a satanic dream, which requested the slaughter of all those animals.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:27:20 AM by Maria »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Orthodox Church in America
« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2015, 02:29:02 AM »
The Hindu deities or "devis" are where the word "devils" came from. The Israelites considered other deities besides Jehovah to be really devils, as it says in the Old Testament.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Avowed denominationalist
  • Taxiarches
  • PtA's emotion chip
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Faith: Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian+Greek
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2015, 02:36:39 AM »
The Hindu deities or "devis" are where the word "devils" came from.
No, devil is a corruption of diabolos.

Devis are from the same Indo-European root that gives us Divus, Deus, Zeus, etc.
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 02:38:46 AM by NicholasMyra »
Vote for a Ministry section on OC.net

Πάντα μὲν καθαρὰ τοῖς καθαροῖς
Τοῖς δὲ μεμιασμένοις καὶ ἀπίστοις οὐδὲν καθαρόν

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
    • The Old Testament Prophecies of the Messiah's Resurrection and Orthodox Christianity's roots in the Holy Land
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2015, 02:37:29 AM »

If Bihar and Bara rural people donate 2,000 buffalo to be sacrificed during the Gadhi Mai festival,  with a sale value of $500 apiece or more,  they are donating at least $1 million worth of animals.  The economic impact on the region of killing 2,000 buffalo,  at per capita income of $133/year,  would be equal to the annual income of 7,519 people on the Bihar side of the border;  23,809 people on the Bara side.

The value of a dead buffalo whose carcass mostly goes to waste is considerably less than the value of a live buffalo.  If half of the economic value of the buffalo is wasted,  as reports of many carcasses being buried in mass graves indicate,  the wastage alone is equal to the annual incomes of up to 12,000 people.

“The money that the Gadhi Mai festival committee makes is not all that proportional to the number of animals slaughtered,”  Gautam told ANIMALS 24-7. “They don’t sell animals,”  though the hides and some of the meat from the slaughtered animals are sold,  “nor do they charge an entry fee from the visitors.  The money that they make comes from the offerings made by visitors.  Such a mass destruction of animals is a huge economic loss,  to the public who lose their animals for no return,  to the government as there is no taxation involved,  and for the country,  as Nepal keeps buying buffaloes from India for daily consumption,  while thousands of its own local production go wasted.”
http://www.animals24-7.org/2014/10/03/seeking-the-truth-of-the-gadhi-mai-sacrificial-slaughter/

Offline rakovsky

• Taxiarches
  • St. Mstislav I
« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2015, 02:46:56 AM »
And where did Diabolos come from?

Devis are from the same Indo-European root that gives us Divus, Deus, Zeus, etc.
The origin of the "devil" also can be uncovered through etymology, in that the word comes from the Sanskrit term "deva" or the Persian "daeva" both of which originally referred to angelic entities, usually female, who were demonized by Christian propagandists. In actuality, "devil" shares the same root as "divine." In addition, the word "demon" is a Christian vilification of the Greek word "daemon," which likewise referred to a divine spirit. [2, p. 258; ]
http://somerationalism.blogspot.com/2013/09/the-christ-conspiracy-ch-16-etymology.html

See also:
http://www.edenics.net/english-word-origins.aspx?word=DEVIL
The standard explanation is tha evil comes from Indo European wep or epo. But in reality, I think that it could have a closer relationship to Hebrew "ayvil" or "avl".

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2015, 03:27:11 AM »
The diabolus in music ... ah.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5ZpcmvnYpE

Greek and Antiochian Orthodox Christians use this diabolus especially the Plagal of the 2nd or the 6th tone. This is what gives chant an exotic tone. Was this attempt by the Roman Catholic Church to outlaw the use of the diabolus in music just another slap at Eastern Orthodoxy?
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:27:50 AM by Maria »
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline LBK

• No Reporting Allowed
  • Toumarches
  • Holy Father Patrick, pray for us!
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2015, 03:44:48 AM »

And where did Diabolos come from?

From the Greek words for to divide, or to slander (which, in essence, is something that brings division and discord among people, which is exactly what Satan does).
« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 03:45:24 AM by LBK »
Am I posting? Or is it Schroedinger's Cat?

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2015, 08:23:29 AM »
If Bihar and Bara rural people donate 2,000 buffalo to be sacrificed during the Gadhi Mai festival,  with a sale value of $500 apiece or more,  they are donating at least $1 million worth of animals.  The economic impact on the region of killing 2,000 buffalo,  at per capita income of $133/year,  would be equal to the annual income of 7,519 people on the Bihar side of the border;  23,809 people on the Bara side.
The value of a dead buffalo whose carcass mostly goes to waste is considerably less than the value of a live buffalo.  If half of the economic value of the buffalo is wasted,  as reports of many carcasses being buried in mass graves indicate,  the wastage alone is equal to the annual incomes of up to 12,000 people.
“The money that the Gadhi Mai festival committee makes is not all that proportional to the number of animals slaughtered,”  Gautam told ANIMALS 24-7. “They don’t sell animals,”  though the hides and some of the meat from the slaughtered animals are sold,  “nor do they charge an entry fee from the visitors.  The money that they make comes from the offerings made by visitors.  Such a mass destruction of animals is a huge economic loss,  to the public who lose their animals for no return,  to the government as there is no taxation involved,  and for the country,  as Nepal keeps buying buffaloes from India for daily consumption,  while thousands of its own local production go wasted.”
http://www.animals24-7.org/2014/10/03/seeking-the-truth-of-the-gadhi-mai-sacrificial-slaughter/

The above Western analysis and rationalization by such Animal Lovers is as filthy as ever as they march through their judgments of how people worship. The Animal Lovers 'prove' they worship money as it is all based on cost and utilization completely discounting religious notions of people.
So WE THE PEOPLE really mean "US" implying, "You ignorant, superstitious folks are wasting money so knock it off in the name of Animal".
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
  • In life as in art, grace glides on blistered feet.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2015, 08:32:55 AM »
a) The animals sacrificed include chickens, pigeons, ducks and rats. It's not half a million buffalo. Counting up the smaller animals would probably bring the cost down considerably.

b) From what local press reports, the sacrifice was banned by the government, but the temple officials say it's not up to them to abolish anything.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Online LenInSebastopol

• Dimly Illumined
  • Archon
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2015, 08:46:50 AM »
a) The animals sacrificed include chickens, pigeons, ducks and rats. It's not half a million buffalo. Counting up the smaller animals would probably bring the cost down considerably.
b) From what local press reports, the sacrifice was banned by the government, but the temple officials say it's not up to them to abolish anything.

Not crazy about animal slaughter especially during Fasting Periods, and they are right...it ain't up to the gov't to approach or fiddle with religion.

Took an Anthro class with one report that back in the Greek hills one weekend a year the men stayed home, putting on women's aprons and did 'women's work' and the women took to the outback and violently killed all the animals they brought or found; chickens, ducks, goats all rendered asunder while the women were screaming like banshees until done. The women returned to the village and life was quietly and easily resumed.
Always found that interesting, true or not.

« Last Edit: August 09, 2015, 08:47:38 AM by LenInSebastopol »
Mark 14:36
God is with us, understand O' ye nations, and submit yourselves, for God is with us

Offline seekeroftruth777

• High Elder
  • O Most Holy Theotokos save us!
  • Faith: Eastern Orthodoxy
  • Jurisdiction: GOARCH but my heart belongs to the JP
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2015, 11:31:20 AM »
Praise the Lord.

That must have been a satanic dream, which requested the slaughter of all those animals.

slaughtering animals, beliving in many "GODS" both good and bad, moral relativism between good and bad a class system where millions are on the street yup Hinduism such a peaceful religion  ::)
pray for the persecuted Christians in Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Occupied Palestine, Nigeria, Pakistan, Eriteria & Kosovo.

Lord Jesus Christ Son of God have Mercy on me a Sinner!

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • All who love ZZ, honour ZZ!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2015, 01:05:31 PM »

Thank you. 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline Mor Ephrem

• The Fourteenth Apostle and Judge of the Interwebs
  • Section Moderator
  • Protostrator
  • All who love ZZ, honour ZZ!
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Jurisdiction: But my heart belongs to Czech Lands
« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2015, 01:08:17 PM »
Praise the Lord.

slaughtering animals, beliving in many "GODS" both good and bad, moral relativism between good and bad a class system where millions are on the street yup Hinduism such a peaceful religion  ::)

You might do well to end your fast early, have a drink, and relax.  If not, I'm going to start describing all the ways Christianity is "such a peaceful religion  ::)". 
"Do not tempt the Mor thy Mod."

New thread topic.  Rate the sexual attractiveness of members of OC.net on a scale of 1-10.

Mor Ephrem: 11/10

Offline seekeroftruth777

• High Elder
« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2015, 11:59:11 PM »
Praise the Lord.

You might do well to end your fast early, have a drink, and relax.  If not, I'm going to start describing all the ways Christianity is "such a peaceful religion  ::)".

fasting been so hard are you sure? I didn't mean to come off so blunt regarding hinduism it just a lot of people have a fairy tale disney like view of it that's all MOR.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 12:00:46 AM by seekeroftruth777 »
pray for the persecuted Christians in Egypt, Libya, Iraq, Syria, Occupied Palestine, Nigeria, Pakistan, Eriteria & Kosovo.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2015, 03:30:03 AM »
Praise the Lord.

fasting been so hard are you sure? I didn't mean to come off so blunt regarding hinduism it just a lot of people have a fairy tale disney like view of it that's all MOR.

Father Seraphim Rose also warned us about Hinduism and Buddhism in his book,
Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline TheTrisagion

• The cat is back and its better than ever!
  • Toumarches
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2015, 10:24:27 AM »
I was going to recommend Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future by Father Seraphim Rose for this topic, but I see it has already been referenced.

Crisis averted.  ;)
Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity. - Hanlon's Razor

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
  • Why do I waste my time here?
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #17 on: August 10, 2015, 10:39:02 AM »

Greek and Antiochian Orthodox Christians use this diabolus especially the Plagal of the 2nd or the 6th tone. This is what gives chant an exotic tone. Was this attempt by the Roman Catholic Church to outlaw the use of the diabolus in music just another slap at Eastern Orthodoxy?

The diabolus in musica is the tritone, NOT the minor second nor the diminished fifth.
Hey, I don't hand out 9.5s to just anyone!  ;D

Offline seekeroftruth777

• High Elder
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2015, 10:45:16 AM »
Praise the Lord.

Father Seraphim Rose also warned us about Hinduism and Buddhism in his book,
Orthodoxy and the Religion of the Future.

I got to read that again such a awesome book however nothing can divide this forum more than mentioning Father Seraphim Rose. I hope he canonizied a saint someday.

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • From the Land of 10,000 Lakes
« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2015, 11:32:00 AM »

The diabolus in musica is the tritone, NOT the minor second nor the diminished fifth.

The diminished fifth and the tritone are the same thing, at least in Western tonality (12 equal temperament). In other temperaments (19, 24, 31, etc.), though, this is not the case. In 24 equal temperament there is a minor fifth (approximating just ratio 16:11) which is wider than a tritone and narrower than the perfect fifth. In 31 equal temperament, like all odd temperaments, there is no tritone or "diabolus", instead, the diminished fifth and augmented fourth approximate the ratios 10:7 and 7:5 respectively.

I'm not sure if there's a standard tuning for Byzantine chant, but from what I can gather, it cannot be adapted to 12 equal-temperament and a different system is required, which is why it sounds so foreign to Western ears. The fact that it has eight tones/modes (instead of the seven in Western music theory) implies that. Larger temperaments (beginning with 19) would probably work. Which one is best probably varies by region (Slavic, Greek, Antiochian, etc.)

From what I've read, the Assyrian/Syriac church music is essentially quarter-tone (24 divisions of the octave) or can be approximated that way.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2015, 11:43:04 AM by Minnesotan »
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline Maria

• Orthodox Christian
  • Toumarches
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2015, 12:54:44 PM »

Exactly. That guy with the guitar left me scratching my head.
I was wondering how long it would take for someone to notice his nonsense although he was producing some diabolically sounding music.
Ἅγιος ὁ Θεός
Ἅγιος ἰσχυρός
Ἅγιος ἀθάνατος
ἐλέησον ἡμας

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Merarches
  • "My god is greater."
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2015, 01:46:46 PM »

Bzzzzzttt.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2015, 03:24:15 PM »

The diminished fifth and the tritone are the same thing, at least in Western tonality (12 equal temperament). In other temperaments (19, 24, 31, etc.), though, this is not the case. In 24 equal temperament there is a minor fifth (approximating just ratio 16:11) which is wider than a tritone and narrower than the perfect fifth. In 31 equal temperament, like all odd temperaments, there is no tritone or "diabolus", instead, the diminished fifth and augmented fourth approximate the ratios 10:7 and 7:5 respectively.

I'm not sure if there's a standard tuning for Byzantine chant, but from what I can gather, it cannot be adapted to 12 equal-temperament and a different system is required, which is why it sounds so foreign to Western ears. The fact that it has eight tones/modes (instead of the seven in Western music theory) implies that. Larger temperaments (beginning with 19) would probably work. Which one is best probably varies by region (Slavic, Greek, Antiochian, etc.)

From what I've read, the Assyrian/Syriac church music is essentially quarter-tone (24 divisions of the octave) or can be approximated that way.

Not all Western tonality is equal tempered though, especially in the Medieval Era. Listen to Perotinus Magnus or the Messa Notre Dame by Machaut or any Medieval Organum.

Offline biro

• Elevator lady, levitate me
  • Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2015, 05:25:59 PM »

It's also a Slayer album. Not bad, but not their best. The ones with Dave Lombardo on drums are the best.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2015, 06:19:42 PM »

It's also a Slayer album. Not bad, but not their best. The ones with Dave Lombardo on drums are the best.

No, but it is a good album.  I prefer Screaming from the Sky.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Merarches
  • "My god is greater."
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2015, 09:20:01 PM »

You have to be kidding. It is basically them trying to be Limp Bizkit.

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #26 on: August 11, 2015, 02:49:31 PM »

I must have missed all of the attempts to sound like Fred Durst.  WHat album were you listening to?

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #27 on: August 11, 2015, 02:50:04 PM »

Just curious. I know you're a metal head, but you're not also by chance a Rush fan, too, are you?

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #28 on: August 11, 2015, 03:00:34 PM »

It is also a Spanish symphonic metal band and a French medieval music ensemble. Something for everyone out there.
'When you live your path all the time, you end up with both more path and more time.'~Venecia Rauls

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #29 on: August 11, 2015, 03:36:55 PM »

Just curious. I know you're a metal head, but you're not also by chance a Rush fan, too, are you?

Yes, I like them. I've got some of their records. Never seen them live. :)

Offline scamandrius

• Musicians don't dance
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #30 on: August 11, 2015, 04:00:05 PM »

Unfortunately, you may never be able to again. I think this last tour was their last hurrah.

Offline biro

• Site Supporter
  • Hoplitarches
« Reply #31 on: August 11, 2015, 04:49:56 PM »
Too bad. I do have a live Rush DVD.

Offline Arachne

• Section Moderator
  • Taxiarches
« Reply #32 on: August 11, 2015, 04:53:05 PM »

Unfortunately, you may never be able to again. I think this last tour was their last hurrah.

It's been over 40 years. They've earned their retirement.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Merarches
  • "My god is greater."
« Reply #33 on: August 11, 2015, 08:32:08 PM »

I must have missed all of the attempts to sound like Fred Durst.  WHat album were you listening to?

Pretty much everything after Seasons... marks different stages of degeneration. Diabolus... is a pretty blatant attempt to cash in on the nu-metal craze of the late 90's.

Offline Iconodule

• Uranopolitan
  • Merarches
  • "My god is greater."
« Reply #34 on: August 11, 2015, 08:33:13 PM »

It's been over 40 years. They've earned their retirement.

With rare exceptions, metal bands are better off quitting after their fourth or fifth album.