Author Topic: Ancient Faith Publications prayer book  (Read 3683 times)

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
Ancient Faith Publications prayer book
« on: October 22, 2014, 07:06:14 PM »
Has anyone purchased a copy of the prayer book recently published by Ancient Faith Publications, and if so, what do you think of it?

http://store.ancientfaith.com/the-ancient-faith-prayer-book/

Offline Theophania

• Ecumenical Dissipation Association *OF* America
  • Protokentarchos
  • Faith: Orthodox
Re: Ancient Faith Publications prayer book
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2014, 07:12:05 PM »
I've heard it's pretty bare and not worth purchasing.

I think it's hard for any prayer book to beat the one put out by the Erie Old Ritualists.
It's common knowledge that you secretly want to be born in early 17th century Russia.  As a serf or a royal, I know not.  Chances are serf.

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2014, 08:25:36 PM »
From what I've read, this prayerbook is supposed to be an alternative to the prayerbook which use Jacobean English.  I think this prayerbook is a solution in search of a problem.  It is pretty stripped down though it does have more psalms in the morning prayer section, for instance.  I just don't see what need it is satisfying. If you want a truncated, non-Jacobean English, GOARCH produces one.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
  • Faith: Orthodox Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Ecumenical Patriarchate (ACROD)
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2014, 09:15:58 PM »
Looking at the contents, I really don't see the point of publishing this prayer book. I am generally puzzled by the proliferation of prayer books which often have bare bones material and do not offer any apparent advantage over others.
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”
- from The King of Ireland's Son, by Padraic Colum

Online Mor Ephrem

• Take comfort in the warmth of the Jacuzzi of Oriental Orthodoxy
  • Section Moderator
  • Protospatharios
  • Two half-eggs
    • OrthodoxChristianity.net
  • Faith: The Ancienter Faith
  • Jurisdiction: East
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2014, 09:18:07 PM »
I wish they would work on a Horologion or even a Psalter that does not require you to buy an analogion or steroids. 
Please don't project meta-debates onto me.

The erection of one’s rod counts as a form of glory (Theophylaktos of Ohrid, A Defense of Eunuchs, p. 329).

Offline Sam G

• OC.net guru
  • One Rome to rule them all.
  • Jurisdiction: ROCOR
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2014, 11:26:37 PM »
I've heard it's pretty bare and not worth purchasing.

I think it's hard for any prayer book to beat the one put out by the Erie Old Ritualists.

+1

Fr. Theodore Jurewicz is currently in the process of formatting the third addition with the goal of making it easier to read.
"Vanity of vanities, said Ecclesiastes vanity of vanities, and all is vanity."

Offline peteprint

• High Elder
« Reply #6 on: November 08, 2014, 04:25:03 AM »
Thank you everyone for your responses. 

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #7 on: November 08, 2014, 05:31:57 AM »
Looking at the contents, I really don't see the point of publishing this prayer book. I am generally puzzled by the proliferation of prayer books which often have bare bones material and do not offer any apparent advantage over others.
Because Conciliar Press wanted to market one to its folk. :P
Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Nephi

• Protokentarchos
  • A non-Chalcedonian in Chalcedonian clothing.
« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2014, 09:02:56 AM »
Because we needed a prayer book with "Ancient Faith" in the title. Next will be a publication of the "Holy Ancient Faith Bible," followed up by an "Ancient Faith Psalter." If we're lucky, we might even get a spin-off comic series titled, "Orthoman: Defender of the Ancient Faith."

;)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2014, 09:03:33 AM by Nephi »

Offline jewish voice

• High Elder
  • Faith: Christian
  • Jurisdiction: Still dont know yet
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2014, 11:18:50 AM »
Because we needed a prayer book with "Ancient Faith" in the title. Next will be a publication of the "Holy Ancient Faith Bible," followed up by an "Ancient Faith Psalter." If we're lucky, we might even get a spin-off comic series titled, "Orthoman: Defender of the Ancient Faith."

;)
no you need more emphasis on Ancient. Needs to be Ancient Ancient faith holy bible. Come on you would buy that one for sure

Offline Minnesotan

• Archon
  • Milo Thatch is the ONLY Milo for me. #FreeAtlantis
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2014, 11:21:32 AM »

;)
no you need more emphasis on Ancient. Needs to be Ancient Ancient faith holy bible. Come on you would buy that one for sure

But which ancient faith are we talking about?

I've type in ancientfaith.org instead of ancientfaith.com several times by accident, and needless to say, the results are not the same.
I'm not going to be posting as much on OC.Net as before. I might stop in once in a while though. But I've come to realize that real life is more important.

Offline NicholasMyra

• Merarches
    • Hyperdox Herman
  • Jurisdiction: Partially-overlapping
« Reply #11 on: November 08, 2014, 04:20:59 PM »
Because we needed a prayer book with "Ancient Faith" in the title. Next will be a publication of the "Holy Ancient Faith Bible"

Quote from: Fr. Thomas Hopko, dystopian parable of the prodigal son
...you can imagine so-called healing services of the pigpen. The books that could be written, you know: Life in the Pigpen. How to Cope in the Pigpen. Being Happy in the Pigpen. Surviving in the Pigpen. And then there could be counselling, for people who feel unhappy in the pigpen, to try to get them to come to terms with the pigpen, and to accept the pigpen.

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2017, 01:42:09 PM »

;)

Well whaddaya know...
“A goose to hatch the Crystal Egg after an Eagle had half-hatched it! Aye, aye, to be sure, that’s right,” said the Old Woman of Beare. “And now you must go find out what happened to it. Go now, and when you come back I will give you your name.”

Offline scamandrius

• A man of many, many turns
  • Merarches
  • Faith: Greek Orthodox
  • Jurisdiction: DOWAMA of AANA
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2017, 02:13:59 PM »

;)

Well whaddaya know...

I suppose it is needed to compete with the modern faith psalter or the liberal Protestant Psalter or the Hyper-Sedevacanist Psalter.
Da quod iubes et iube quod vis.

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2017, 02:16:42 PM »

;)

Well whaddaya know...
Also available in a "Deluxe Edition."
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online Arachne

• Trinary Unit || Resident Bossy Boots
  • Section Moderator
  • Merarches
  • November is short. Type fast.
  • Faith: Cradle Greek Orthodox. Cope.
  • Jurisdiction: Antiochian Archdiocese, UK
« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2017, 02:49:29 PM »

;)

Well whaddaya know...
Also available in a "Deluxe Edition."

Alas, no bonus tracks. Looks gorgeous, tho.
'Evil isn't the real threat to the world. Stupid is just as destructive as evil, maybe more so, and it's a hell of a lot more common. What we really need is a crusade against stupid. That might actually make a difference.'~Harry Dresden

Blog ~ Bookshelf ~ Jukebox

Offline Iconodule

• Toumarches
« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2017, 03:23:04 PM »
Apart from the gross branding/ marketing, I have to ask, as usual, "Why do we need this?" There are already 10 or so English Orthodox psalter translations, some in contemporary English, some in "hieratic" English, with varying amounts of supplementary material published by different groups. Can problems be found in all of them? Sure. Has this "dedicated group of Orthodox monks (who wish to remain anonymous)" finally hit on the superior translation (using the Masoretic, corrected according to the LXX, whatever that's supposed to mean)? I highly doubt it. I suspect the decision to publish another entirely new psalter was driven entirely by marketing considerations (if not for the anonymous monks, then for Ancient Faith Publishing). Repackaging, say, the Jordanville psalter, or the Holy Myrrhbearers Psalter, would I guess entail sharing profits with them, which simply wouldn't do.

I wish we could just get all these psalter tinkerers into one room together and ask each one, "Why? Why? WHY?!" 

Online Agabus

• The user formerly known as Agabus.
  • Section Moderator
  • Protokentarchos
« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2017, 04:07:00 PM »
I wish we could just get all these psalter tinkerers into one room together and ask each one, "Why? Why? WHY?!"

We'll do this at the next pan-Orthodox Not Council™.

Seriously, though, this is a grosser version of the issue of so many official and unofficial translations of the services across the diaspora jurisdictions.
Blessed Nazarius practiced the ascetic life. His clothes were tattered. He wore his shoes without removing them for six years.

THE OPINIONS HERE MAY NOT REFLECT THE ACTUAL OR PERCEIVED ORTHODOX CHURCH

Online Asteriktos

• Hypatos
« Reply #18 on: October 21, 2017, 01:12:25 AM »

;)

Well whaddaya know...

I recently bought this... not that I had an especially good reason, it just popped up on Amazon when I was looking at (I think) bibles. I'm accustomed to the Psalms in the KJV so there've been some awkward moments for me, but overall it's been fine. Not that that addresses the criticism being made, I'm just saying.